Profiling multi-threaded applications?

Hello,

 Im looking for information on enhancing profiling support for
multi-threaded applications. Im referring to the C language in
particular.

What additional information is provided in addition to segregating
function-call statistics on a per-thread basis? if there are
guidelines/specs , pl, provide pointers to that too.

thanks
-kamal
0
kamalpr (4)
7/4/2003 3:33:02 AM
comp.compilers 3310 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Moving multi threaded application to Multi processing application
**** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com **** Hi, This is the background of the problem. I have some code working in as multiple threads.For example SNMP Protocol is running as few threads,HTTPD running as few threads,switching application (layer 2 switching)running as few threads..etc. All the threads in HTTP or SNMP will communicate to the core switching thru a set of library calls. Since HTTP, SNMP are heavy processes.If some thing goes wrong in HTTP or SNMP thread, entire process will get effected. So if we have separate processes for HTTP and SNM...

Profiling Mach-O multi-threaded application crashes at __PROFILE_ENTRY
I'm trying to profile a Mach-O application which used Carbon threads (cooperative threading model) and I continuously get crashes on __PROFILE_ENTRY and __PROFILE_EXIT. I've run the sample program that shipped with CW 9 that demonstrates use of the profiler on a Mach-O program without any problems but when I go multi-threaded, I get these crashes. Anybody else seen this and know of a solution? Has anybody tried to use the profiler on Mach-O in the presence of multiple threads? Thanks! Alin Pilkington :) Hi Alin, That is a CWP 9 bug, I already reported to Metrowerks...

GDB waking up threads in a multi-threaded application
Hi, I really hope I have the correct newsgroup here, and if not I apologise in advance. I'm writing some multi-threaded code here for a client/server application and I had to use a read/write lock to achieve concurrency. When I left the application running over-night it hung the next day. So I started up GDB and attached to the client and then the server examining the threads present in each and the back-trace of each thread to get a better idea of where the hang occurred. After detaching GDB from the server the deadlock/hang went away and the application started working...

Moving multi threaded application to multi processing
**** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com **** Hi, This is the background of the problem. I have some code working in as multiple threads.For example SNMP Protocol is running as few threads,HTTPD running as few threads,switching application (layer 2 switching)running as few threads..etc. All the threads in HTTP or SNMP will communicate to the core switching thru a set of library calls. Since HTTP, SNMP are heavy processes.If some thing goes wrong in HTTP or SNMP thread, entire process will get effected. So if we have separate processes for HTTP and SNMP, problems in...

Mixing single threaded and multi-threaded application
I have a single threaded application linking with single threaded libraries. Now, I try to link with a multi-threaded library and compile the application with a multi-thread flag (-mt) in Solaris. However, the application receives the SIGBUS indicating "invalid address ailngment" and crashes. I wonder this may be caused by mixing single and multi-threaded application? Thanks in advance. sagenaut@gmail.com wrote: > I have a single threaded application linking with single threaded > libraries. Now, I try to link with a multi-threaded library and > compile the a...

Compiling multi-threaded programs with the GNU compiler suite
I have a program that's written primarily in C++, and a small portion of it in C. My program uses the wxWidgets application framework, which provides functionality for stuff like graphical user interfaces and multi- threading (e.g. it provides classes such as wxThread, wxMutex). wxWidgets is a cross-platform library; it has ports available for Linux, MacOS and MS-Windows and others. On Unix-like systems, wxWidgets implements multi-threading by using the "pthreads" library under the hood, however on MS-Windows it uses the mult-threading functions provided by the Win32 API. Sin...

Hyper Threading / Multi-Threaded Queue / Application Freezes
have an MFC application which contains a queue which is accessed by multiple threads. The main application thread is used to add items to the queue, while I have a worker thread which is used for taking items from the queue and passing them to another application. The queue is implemented using the MFC CList class, and add/remove operations are guarded by a critical section, therefore access to the queue is synchronized ( I hope ). My problem is this program has run great on 100's of machines for well over 12months, however recently has been tested on a Hyper-Threaded XP SP2...

Hyper Threading / Multi-Threaded Queue / Application Freezes
have an MFC application which contains a queue which is accessed by multiple threads. The main application thread is used to add items to the queue, while I have a worker thread which is used for taking items from the queue and passing them to another application. The queue is implemented using the MFC CList class, and add/remove operations are guarded by a critical section, therefore access to the queue is synchronized ( I hope ). My problem is this program has run great on 100's of machines for well over 12months, however recently has been tested on a Hyper-Threaded XP SP2 machine - ...

Multi processor safeness of multi threaded OpenGL application
I'm writing a multithreaded Carbon application performing some OpenGL rendering (the rendering itself occurs in different threads, but it is protected using a mutex) This application works fine on a mono-processor G4 but hangs the system on a dual G5 (both running MacOSX 10.3.4). When the system has the time to produce some logs, the crash appear to happen inside the vid´┐Żo driver (ATI Radeon 9800). The context is open using the AGL_MP_SAFE. AGL documentation states : "AGL_MP_SAFE If present, only renderers that are multi-processor (MP) safe are considered. To execute OpenG...

Hyper Threading / Multi-Threaded Queue / Application Freezes
have an MFC application which contains a queue which is accessed by multiple threads. The main application thread is used to add items to the queue, while I have a worker thread which is used for taking items from the queue and passing them to another application. The queue is implemented using the MFC CList class, and add/remove operations are guarded by a critical section, therefore access to the queue is synchronized ( I hope ). My problem is this program has run great on 100's of machines for well over 12months, however recently has been tested on a Hyper-Threaded XP SP2...

Application errors when executing as a process from two multi-threaded applications
I have 2 separate multi-threaded C# applications running on Windows Server 2008R2 that execute the gnuplot.exe application as a process from each of the threads (short term fix while I build out a better solution). Running one instance of the application has been stable for months. Running a second instance of the application worked for a while but has randomly started throwing Application Errors at different times. Twice the stack indicates the error occurred in the wxmsw28u_core_gcc_custom.dll and once from the libstdc++-6 dll but there is no other data that I have access to in the lo...

Yacco2 --- New Open source multi-threaded lr(1) compiler/compiler
The project name is: Yacco2, a compiler/compiler generator where it can be downloaded from www.ctan.org under this name. It is a full LR(1) compiler/compiler system implementing Knuth's algorithm extended by threads making it a super-set to the regular Lr(1) algorithm. The system is written in ``Literate programming'' genre and emits ``literate grammars'' producing pdf documents whereby each grammar is drawn in the spirit of Wirth's Pascal diagrams within the Cweb's cweave template. The READMEv1.1.pdf provides a fuller description of the system and its ...

Change Multi threaded DLL to Multi threaded
Hi, If I redistribute an app which is built with the "Multi threaded DLL" option (windows), can I be sure that the user has all the necessary run-time DLL files on his/her computer? I want to build the calendar sample as a Multi threaded instead of Multi threaded DLL, to get rid of run-time dll depencies. When I change the code generation setting in MS Visual C++ 2008 Express Ddition to Multi threaded, I get lots of link errors, for example: Error 1 error LNK2005: _free already defined in LIBCMTD.lib(dbgfree.obj) MSVCRTD.lib Error 2 error LNK2005...

enable-threads with multi-threaded/multi-interp app but w/o tcl thread api?
Ive been searching for an answer to a basic question and have been unable to find it : If I have a multi-threaded C++ application with embedded tcl, using pthreads and each thread having its own tcl interpreter, do I need to build the tcl library with threads enabled? I am not using the TCL thread API, I am simply creating and using multiple tcl interpreters within separate pthreads(again, each thread having its own interp). From the Wiki ( http://wiki.tcl.tk/1339 ) Some consolidated rules for embedding Tcl in a threaded application: * You can NEVER use the same interpreter from more th...

Web resources about - Profiling multi-threaded applications? - comp.compilers

The Multi-threaded Santa TDD Challenge
... straightforward problems. In particular, there are no - as far as I'm aware - TDD katas that set more challenging high-volume, multi-threaded, ...