which compiler compiled?

Is there a way I can tell which compiler compiled an executable? I looked at
the file with a hex editor and didn't see anything obvious.

Lawrence

0
just4me (7)
1/30/2005 6:39:11 PM
comp.compilers 3310 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"Lawrence" <just4me@nowhere.com> writes:

> Is there a way I can tell which compiler compiled an executable?

Yes with some compilers and some executable formats.
E.g. on HP-UX for PA-RISC:

$ aCC leak.C
$ odump -compunit a.out

   6   0  ANSI C++                                           leak.C
/tmp
ctcom options = -inst compiletime -diags 523 -inline_power 1 -longbranch 2 -unique_strings on -cachesize 256

          B3910B      ; A.03.26
          Compile Time: Sun Jan 30 2005 11:45:31.000000000 PST
          Source  Time: Sun Jan 30 2005 11:45:25.000000000 PST

$ what `which aCC`
/opt/aCC/bin/aCC:
        HP aC++ B3910B A.03.26
        HP aC++ B3910B A.03.25 Language Support Library

Cheers,
Paul
2/4/2005 3:39:12 AM
In general, no.

Specific compilers may embed a version label in the object file. Our
compiler (Micro Focus Cobol) embeds a what string in the object which
you can display via

  what my_obj.o

The AIX C compiler also embeds a version string, though not in
"what(6)" format.

If you are on Unix, try

  strings -a -10 my_obj.o

and look for strings such as "version", "release" or synonyms, or
"d.d" (where d is a decimal digit).

If all else fails, try checking the relevant compiler documentation.

--

Away O Soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
Cut the hawsers - haul out - shake out every sail

To compile or not to compile
Is there some benefit in compiling the apache source yourself? -- //Points ------------------------------------------------------------ http://underthebed.homeip.net ...

Compiled or not compiled
I need to distinguish between two situations: one when a Matlab function is run from Matlab command window and the other one when it is run in compiled mode. Any ideas how to do this? Thanks Tomy Duby "Tomy Duby" <tomy.duby@agilent.com> wrote in message news:idq8q8$85k$1@fred.mathworks.com... > I need to distinguish between two situations: one when a Matlab function > is run from Matlab command window and the other one when it is run in > compiled mode. > Any ideas how to do this? HELP ISDEPLOYED. -- Steve Lord slord@mathworks.com comp.s...

Compiling Compiler
Hi there, I need some advice/opinion of the experts out there regarding compilers. I have sun cc compiler that supports 64 bit environment. Now, I compile ACK using this compiler.This should give a compiler that supports 64bit environment. Since the output files are in Solaris format, I compile the ACK source *once again* using the just compiled ACK compiler so that I get Minix object and binary files. Now my questions is that does this 2nd version of ACK be able to produce true 64bit code? Sanky wrote: > Hi there, > > I need some advice/opinion of the experts out there regarding...

Compile or not compile?
There's something that sometimes in while it bores me a little bit. How do I know if I need to compile a function/procedure or it will be able to compile "on fly". At the beginning I thought this was related to the paths idl "knew", but this happens for two functions/routines in the same directory. Can someone tell when a function can be runned without be compile? Nuno Oliveira wrote: > There's something that sometimes in while it bores me a little bit. How > do I know if I need to compile a function/procedure or it will be able > to compile &quo...

To compile or not to compile
Is there some benefit in compiling the apache source yourself? -- //Points ------------------------------------------------------------ http://underthebed.homeip.net ...

compiling Qt .... compiling Qt ....compiling Qt.... compiling Qt
I got myself new kernel from kernel.org... make xconfig needs Qt (new system). So I got new Qt source this afternoon. It is still compiling.... Who said MS is bloat has not done this. What does Qt do? Dunno, how about xforms for xconfig? On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:18:09 +0000, Jan Panteltje wrote: > Dunno, how about xforms for xconfig? Why not curses based? menuform -- Hilsen/Regards Michael Rasmussen http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE3E80917 On a sunny day (Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:55:33 +0100) it happened Michael Rasmussen <mir@miras.or...

program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ compiler
Hi, I need a small program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ compiler. Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru KBG <karthik.balaguru@lntinfotech.com> wrote: > I need a small program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ > compiler. No problem, just send $10 to paypal@zevv.nl and I'll do your homework for you. -- :wq ^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C KBG said: > Hi, > > I need a small program that compiles in C compiler but not in C++ > compiler. Can you think of any syntactic differences between C and C++? For example, what about keywords? They are very, very sen...

Meta4... a compiler-compiler
in the csa2 gmail account... description is very interesting. in the Pidgin for Apple II/Merlin/6502 message Rich ...

Writing a compiler compiler
Hello, Firstly, let it be known that I am quite new to the subject of parser generators, and having written only simple parsers for frivoulous grammars by hand have little experience. My objective is thus - to create a parser generator that will eventually generate a parser for a dynamic language. However, my undestanding of different parser types and distinctions between is minimal; but as the web is a good enough resourse please assume my knowledge of those areas. The target for this parser generator would be a language similar to C#, and I have found Jay (a yacc clone to C# and Java). Th...

Compiling with the eclipse compiler
Hey all,I have a weird problem (at least it's weird to me).I have a big project that I need to compile through ant with eclipse'scompiler.In the build.xml my compile target looks like this : <target name="compile" depends="release-settings, init" description="compiles everything from source"> <echo message="Compiling with debug = ${build.debug}"/> <depend srcdir="${src.dir}" destdir="${class.dir}" cache="${dependencies.dir}" closure="true"/> <javac srcdir=...

compiling on different compilers
I am working on a set of functions that involve dynamic memory allocation. I started working with gcc and then moved to Pacific C. The reason was that my only access to gcc was through an ssh connection that I did not have access to all the time, so I got Pacific so I could work on my home windows computer. Then I moved back to gcc, which saved me from some major mistakes. Somehow Pacific C was letting me get away with stuff that was completely wrong. gcc immediately gave me segmentation errors until I got every last thing correct. Is gcc the best for catching mistakes? If not, which on...

which compiler was used to compile?
Is there a slick way to invent a constant in a program that tells you which compiler you used. I distribute both JET and JavaC versions of my code, and it helps to know on any error dump which version they were using. Right now I manually change a static final just before compiling. I thought there ought to be something less error prone. -- Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green. Coaching, problem solving, economical contract programming. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html for The Java Glossary. Roedy Green wrote: > Is there a slick way to invent a constant in a program that tell...

Problem to compile with g77 a program which was normally compiled with Absoft compiler
Hello, I get the following error messages when I try to compile a program with g77 somefile.f:(.text+0x93): undefined reference to `for_open' somefile.f:(.text+0xf4): undefined reference to `for_write_seq_fmt' somefile.f:(.text+0x128): undefined reference to `for_write_seq_fmt_xmit' somefile.f:(.text+0x454): undefined reference to `for_read_seq' Could you help me to fix this? I have posted more details about my actions on http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3365742/f77-problem-to-compile-with-g77-a-program-which-was-normally-compiled-with-absof Thank you On 30/07/2010 10:2...

Compiler mystery: Compiles classes that don't compile
Can someone please try and explain how this could even happen. I'm about to start fixing some bugs in a program for a client. They haven't really been that organised and just gave me some source code from somewhere, which may or may not be the version of the source code that was used to compile the version of the app that I am supposed to fix bugs in. Now to the problem. The code doesn't even compile. There's a file Container.java, which is missing heaps of methods (private ones I guess as they are only called from inside Container). I decompiled the actual application and whe...

Web resources about - which compiler compiled? - comp.compilers

Microsoft Compiled HTML Help - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Microsoft Compiled HTML Help is a Microsoft proprietary online help format, consisting of a collection of HTML pages, an index and other navigation ...

compiled st - kilda to rosstown extension - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Cameron Stewart's photos on Flickr. Cameron Stewart has uploaded 431 photos to Flickr.

21 Foot Rule Less Talk and More action (compiled and shortened) - YouTube
http://www.21footrule.com It is one thing to read about the 21 foot rule, it is another to actually see it done. Many times people think that ...

Hillary and Bill Clinton compiled disloyalty 'hit list', new book claims
Hillary and Bill Clinton keep a detailed "hit list" of everyone who has crossed them during more than 20 years at the apex of American politics, ...

Steve Jobs videos compiled into ultimate collection
... New York Times on Twitter, a pretty extensive collection of Steve Jobs’ interviews, keynotes, product demos, and rare company video was compiled ...

NRA compiled secret gun registry on “tens of millions” of gun owners
If you really believe the government is Hitler, then why aren't they capable of stealing the NRA's gun registry? .

Bot-written plays compiled from YouTube troll comments hit Kindle store
... =^.^= .” Two programmers, Germany-based Luc Gross and Austria-based Bernhard Bauch, are responsible for the series of plays, which were compiled ...

"Within the past 24 hours, user-contributed link aggregator reddit.com compiled a 'secret list' of banned ...
"... including such reputable news sites as The Atlantic, Business Week, PhysOrg and ScienceDaily." Reddit is a site that claims to be all for ...

Thank goodness the NSA had the sense to put funnyman Art Buchwald on the watch list it compiled for President ...
... which turned to the FBI, and eventually the NSA "expanding the watch list to include domestic terrorist and foreign radical suspects" compiled ...

Fed Once-Secret Loan Crisis Data Compiled by Bloomberg Released to Public
Bloomberg News today released spreadsheets showing daily borrowing totals for 407 banks and companies that tapped Federal Reserve emergency programs ...