compress existing avi, mpg, mpeg files - what's best

when one has existing avi, mpg, mpeg files what tool do folks use to make
them smaller... I'm not talking about re-encoding them, just trying to make
'em smaller as you can do to existing *.doc or *.txt files with zip...

specifically, I've got a bunch of 708, 720, 730 megabyte avi files [and a
few mpg] that I'm trying to get under 700mb...

-- Ray

0
Ray
7/2/2003 2:26:56 AM
comp.compression 4696 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Ray:

[...]

>specifically, I've got a bunch of 708, 720, 730 megabyte avi files [and a
>few mpg] that I'm trying to get under 700mb...

You usually can't compress MPG, AVI & Co. any further. Different from
..txt and .doc there is almost no redundancy left in those video files.
Try RAR with maximum compression settings and you may get a couple of
MB.

Regards,
Marco
0
Marco
7/2/2003 6:00:01 AM
thanks a bunch... fetched it down and will give it a run later tonight....

-- Ray

"Rainer Nausedat" <RNausedat@speedproject.de> wrote in message
> In article <vg9c8iser8oad@corp.supernews.com>, rayhowe@charter.net
> says...
> > great, except it only comes as a dll ... what does one do with a plain
dll?
> > I mean, how do I use this to compress a file?
> > -- Ray
>
> Ray,
>
> what you are talking about is meant for developers who want to use
> SQX in their own apps. So far there are some "complete" archivers
> supporting that format. ZipStar (www.squeez.com) for example is a
> free one.
>
> R.Nausedat

0