Compression ratios of MJPEG, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, H.263, and H.264

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hello all,

I was currently given the task to see how many minutes/hours I could
record on varying sizes of CompactFlash disks (from 512MB to 12GB). The
resolution is 640 by 480 at a frame rate of 30 fps and a 24bit color
space. In order to figure out how much I could record for each
different codec I need to get a good idea of a decent compression ratio
for each codec. I hope someone can help :)

Reuven

0
Reply reuvenkishon (3) 1/18/2006 12:41:28 AM

See related articles to this posting

Reuven wrote:
> I was currently given the task to see how many minutes/hours I could
> record on varying sizes of CompactFlash disks (from 512MB to 12GB). The
> resolution is 640 by 480 at a frame rate of 30 fps and a 24bit color
> space. In order to figure out how much I could record for each
> different codec I need to get a good idea of a decent compression ratio
> for each codec. I hope someone can help :)

Shouldn't you be more interested in the bitrate for each of these codecs?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
0
Reply Nicholas 1/18/2006 3:45:17 AM

> I was currently given the task to see how many minutes/hours I could
> record on varying sizes of CompactFlash disks (from 512MB to 12GB). The
> resolution is 640 by 480 at a frame rate of 30 fps and a 24bit color
> space. In order to figure out how much I could record for each
> different codec I need to get a good idea of a decent compression ratio
> for each codec. I hope someone can help :)

the compression ratio does not only depend on the codec but on the
quality level you select and the video itself ...

You could search for standard applications like DMB, DVB-[C|S|T|H] or
regular DVDs and average a bitrate commonly used in those standard
applications ...

If your typical video is different then you can't say anything without
your own compression tests on your typical source ...

bye,
Michael
0
Reply ISO 1/18/2006 9:13:39 AM

Thank you Michael.

I guess I'm showing my newbieness when it comes to digital video. I
thought it it was as simple as each codec having a range of compression
ratios, and of those compression ratios there was a range that provided
decent video (in between really bad and really good). The task is
proving harder then I initially thought. I will however search for t
hose standard applications you mentioned.

0
Reply Reuven 1/18/2006 4:50:14 PM

Reuven wrote:
> Thank you Michael.
>
> I guess I'm showing my newbieness when it comes to digital video. I
> thought it it was as simple as each codec having a range of compression
> ratios, and of those compression ratios there was a range that provided
> decent video (in between really bad and really good). The task is
> proving harder then I initially thought. I will however search for t
> hose standard applications you mentioned.

Most codecs allow you to set your bitrate, which defines how much data
is required for each second of video. Take your sample video, then for
each codec, choose a bitrate that gives an acceptable quality. If there
are no other restrictions, just pick the one with the lowest bitrate
with acceptable quality.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
0
Reply Nicholas 1/18/2006 9:22:29 PM

Well, my DVD recorder can get 4 hours of good quality video at 640x480
resolution and very good quality, or 8 hours at lower quality. (The
quality difference isn't too noticeable on most live-action shows or
highly detailed anime, but becomes very noticeable and irrtating on
lower quality cartoons and live-action shows with a lot of solid
black.) Since DVD uses MPEG2, and has about 4.5G of space (single
sided/single layer), that gives you some idea of how MPEG2 performs.
You should still run your own tests though.

Is this project restricted to the formats you listed? What about
M-JPEG2000 (the JPEG2000 version of MJPEG), or DiVX/XViD?

0
Reply cypherswipe 1/19/2006 4:41:09 PM

OOPS. CORRECTION:
I was getting the resolution mixed up. The 4/8hr is at 320x240. It gets
1/2 hours at 640x480. There is little visible difference in quality
between the 1 hour setting and the 2 hour setting.

0
Reply cypherswipe 1/19/2006 4:46:11 PM

These links might help:
http://www.axis.com/documentation/whitepaper/video/video_compression.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_codecs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate
It looks as though MPEG4 is the most likely choice.

0
Reply cypherswipe 1/19/2006 6:05:26 PM

You can test with this software total video converter
http://www.effectmatrix.com

0
Reply Hanson 1/20/2006 2:02:07 PM

cypherswipe wrote:
> Is this project restricted to the formats you listed? What about
> M-JPEG2000 (the JPEG2000 version of MJPEG), or DiVX/XViD?

DivX implements MPEG-4 Part 2 Advanced Simple Profile.

XviD (DivX, backwards) implements MPEG-4 Part 2 Advanced Simple Profile
and MPEG-4 Part 10 (aka H.264, aka Advanced Video Coding).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

Thus, DivX and XviD are not new formats.
0
Reply Grumble 1/23/2006 9:01:57 AM
comp.compression 4506 articles. 14 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

methods for better than h.264 compression ratio...
Dear All, We are starting an academic project to build a codec which should have much better compression ratios than h.264. Computational complexity of the new codec is assumed to be infinite for now. There must be methods that have been rejected for having high computational complexity. Any hints for us. Thanks in advance... On May 3, 9:53 am, recoder <kurtulmeh...@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > We are starting an academic project to build a codec which should > have much better compression ratios than h.264. > Computational complexity of the new codec is assumed to b...

compression in H.264
hello all, i did an implementation in matlab for H.264 encoding and decoding (integer 4x4) = transform and quantization then the inverse, but i had one small problem with it when i used the blkproc(...,...,...,)i used Y = AXA place DCT,. anyone can write the code of quantization?thank you . julien <jose50@seznam.cz> wrote in message <23776078.1210022845905.JavaMail.jakarta@nitrogen.mathforum.org>... > hello all, > i did an implementation in matlab for H.264 encoding and decoding (integer 4x4) = transform and quantization then the inverse, but i had one small problem with ...

H.263 == MPEG4?
I am confused - is H.263 the video codec used in MPEG4 or is it not? -- % Randy Yates % "She's sweet on Wagner-I think she'd die for Beethoven. %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % She love the way Puccini lays down a tune, and %%% 919-577-9882 % Verdi's always creepin' from her room." %%%% <yates@ieee.org> % "Rockaria", *A New World Record*, ELO http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr Randy Yates wrote: > I am confused - is H.263 the video codec used in MPEG4 or is it not? Randy, MPEG-4 is a collection o...

h. 264 compression overview
Can someone give me a basic overview of how h. 264 does motion prediction for video compression? To render intermediate frames, does it send motion parameters describing the change in motion from a previous frame? Or can it make a prediction based on the previous and next frames? Thanks... ...

H.264/MPEG4 AVC
hi is there anyone working on H.264/MPEG4 part10 AVC .I am currently working on that project. Can contact me on kotharisaransh@ymail.com ...

h.264 or mpeg 4 or 263
HI I wonder whether the reference code of this coders is freely available? And where would that be? Bubu u can finf H.263 and mp4 on helixcommunity.org The code section is down and expected to be up soon. H.264 might be difficult to get as people are a bit slow in coding and even slower in sharing!! can't help u more than that but hope u get the code soon. cheers, prakash bubu_1313@yahoo.co.uk (bubu) wrote in message news:<6a61c4e7.0402261536.5901932f@posting.google.com>... > HI > I wonder whether the reference code of this coders is freely available? > > And wher...

better video compression than h.264 in the market?
Hi All, Is there anything better than h.264 in the market? In terms of bandwidth. Could be a academic project or a professional product/algorithm. Thanks ...

filter to convert video stream from MPEG2 to H.264?
Hi, I've been tasked with finding a solution for this. The video camera will be generating MPEG2 output. It needs to be compressed to H.264, via a filter and then sent across the Internet. I have not been able to find a suitable filter for this purpose though. Does anyone know if one is available? Thanks, S ...

Code for matlab H.264 MPEG4 Part10 AVC
Hello everyone, Can anyone please tell me from where can i get the matlab source code for H.264/MPEG4 part10 AVC . Thanks Saransh "Saransh Kothari" <kotharisaransh@ymail.com> wrote in message <h1isfp$253$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hello everyone, > Can anyone please tell me from where can i get the matlab source code for H.264/MPEG4 part10 AVC . > Thanks > Saransh you're joking, in the matlab forum? if you want some real, fast code head over to the doom9 forum and get source code for x264/mpeg4 there are a f...

implement the MPEG4 & H.264 in DSP & FPGA
HI, everyone, I am new here. And nice to find such a good place to exchang experiences. I have been doing H.264 & MPEG4 software codec in Matlab and C++ for th past years, and now have to move into the hardware implementations. The board I need to implement with is TMS320DM642GNZ for encoder, o Altera Cyclone II ( EPC2C35 ). I do not have a clear idea of where to start with. I have already have th softward codec for MPEG4 & H.264 in C++ . Anybody could give me some advic to start with ? Or some books to read? Or some useful web links I will b greatly appreciated! Leo rocpp wrot...

The "H.264 and MPEG-4 Video Compression" book recommendations
Hi, I'm thinking about implementing a H.264 decoder as a personal project but the specification costs =A3100. So I think instead of getting the spec. I could just get the "H.264 and MPEG-4 Video Compression" book by Iain Richardson. Has anyone bought this book? If so, then is it possible to implement a functional H.264 decoder using only that book, or is the specification needed? Is it a good book to have anyway, regardless of whether one has the specification or not? Perhaps someone could recommend a different book. Thanks, David On Mar 16, 4:21 am, pistmas...@googlemail...

JOB: Video Engineer Lead- (Video Compression Algorithm, H.264)
Lead Video Engineer - (Video Compression Algorithms, H.264-HD) Location: Austin, TX (Full Time/employee)- Contact: Dee Dee Dial, Sr. Exec/Technology Recruiter Pedley-Richard & Assoc. 512/418-3260 Email: dddial@pedley-richard.com (Note: all resumes are submitted in confidence and will NOT be forwarded to any client company without the expressed consent of the individual.) Company Profile: Our client is a innovative and successful pre-IPO provider of new to market video communications systems. This is an opportunity to work with leaders who have had record success of setting new ...

need for new Transfer Syntax for MPEG4 AVC H.264 Level 4.2
We proposed a new work item for the upcoming DSC meeting in Vienna for an u= pdated new Transfer Syntax to include the MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 Level 4.2. Cur= rently the DICOM Standards is limited to MPEG-4 Level 4.1 which doesn't al= low the recoding of HD videos with 1920*1080 at frame rates of 50/60 Hz.=20 We are propsing to update this limitation and resume the work of Working Gr= oup 13 "Visible Light".=20 Are there any video generating / consuming organizations who want to partic= ipate? ...

Codec H.261 or H.263
Hi, I am trying to find some companies which offer these codecs (mainly H. 261) for DSPs but it is very difficult, only H.264. Do you know any companies which currectly can offer them? Thanx Jajo ...

About H.264
Dear all, In H.264, there is a emulation_prevention_byte 0x03 being added when the bit pattern 0x000000, 0x000001, 0x000002, 0x000003. Would there be someone that can tell me why it needed to be added for 0x000000 and 0x000002. Thank a lot in advance. Regards, clover ...

H.263
hi all , I have worked woth JPEG and Gif kind of codec .. Now i want to learn more about the H.263/ H.264 kind of Codec. can you please give me some Solid Reading matarial i am getting lots of Junk on Internet and got confusion what to read. or tell me some Sites which explain all the Block digram of the same. Regards, Karuensh You can get the standards of H.263 and H.264 from the ITU-T site http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-H Regards, Raghuram On Mar 19, 6:47 pm, "karunesh" <karunesh....@gmail.com> wrote: > hi all , > > I have worked woth JPEG and Gif kind of code...

About H.264
Dear all, In H.264, there is a emulation_prevention_byte 0x03 being added when the bit pattern 0x000000, 0x000001, 0x000002, 0x000003. Would there be someone that can tell me why it needed to be added for 0x000000 and 0x000002. Thank a lot in advance. Regards, clover 0x000001 is used for detection of start and both 0x000001 & 0x000000 are used for detection of end of nal unit. Don't know about 0x000002. Regards Piyush cloverleafland@mail.hongkong.com (Clover) wrote in message news:<1ab0464d.0405312016.5fb19ad0@posting.google.com>... > Dear all, > > In H.264, there...

H.264
Hi Folks, Right now I started work on H.264 Decoder,So I want implement the 'C' source code of H.264 decoder on scilab. Is it possible?? My obejtive to implement the codec on scilab is learn more things in algorithm levels. Thanks & Regards, Umesh Dear Umesh, I think you can work on ffmpeg, and add h264 to it. I'm working on an image and video processing toolbox (http://sivp.sf.net) ffmpeg is used in our toolbox, but i found h264 is not supported by ffmpeg. so you can add h264 to ffmpeg. Thanks Shiqi Yu, I was in long leave so I couldnt replied u soon ...

About H.264
Dear all, In H.264, there is a emulation_prevention_byte 0x03 being added when the bit pattern 0x000000, 0x000001, 0x000002, 0x000003. Would there be someone that can tell me why it needed to be added for 0x000000 and 0x000002. Thank a lot in advance. Regards, clover ...

new in H.264
hi i would like to reimplement h.264 as the part of my curriculam but i have only basic idea about immage processing .now i am trying to study the standerds of H.264 but i think ,it is very difficult to understsnd .from where i got good meterials abut this topic what are the main blocks in it ? How DCT is perfoming in it ? what are the main differance between mpeg4 part2 and part10? I am very thankfull to you if give me adirection rkochery ...

artifacts in h.264
hey all how artefacts are generated during image compression please let me know thanks in advance prakash Hi prakash, Most video compression standards, including ITUT H.263 [1-2] and MPEG-4 [3], use a block-based discrete cosine transform (DCT) and a block-based motion compensation (MC). The 8=D78 block-based DCT scheme, which is used to pack information into a few transform coefficients, takes advantage of the spatial correlation property of images. However, this blockbased coding induces the well-known blocking artifacts, corner outliers, and ringing noise, particularly, when the image is...

H.263 Bitstreams
Hi All, I am new to this group. I am working on developing the H.263 Decoder. and recently we have finished the Mpeg4 (Base Line Profile). Plz let me know the pointer or pointer to any site for the conformance streams of H.263 free or paid or any ITU-T link so that we can test our Decoder. Thanks & Regards, Rahul ...

Querry on H.264
Hi, I am DSP engineer, right now iam working with small firm. I ma going start the H.264 encoder, Please any body can help me out finding the best TI processor on which i can start implemeting the H.264. I am starting this H.264 codec as a generic codec so that i can mould it after words to any processor with basic Implemention .. Please help which is the most generic processsor of TI on which the H.264 is implemeted and which can give the maximum advantage in implemeting the H.264 on Fixed point processor. Thanks in advance, Harsha S hi, in comp.dsp i've seen a lot of discussions a...

Question about H.264
Is it there a way to de-select adaptive quantization for 1 frame movies in the JM and KTA source codes? ...