Compression ratios of MJPEG, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, H.263, and H.264

Hello all,

I was currently given the task to see how many minutes/hours I could
record on varying sizes of CompactFlash disks (from 512MB to 12GB). The
resolution is 640 by 480 at a frame rate of 30 fps and a 24bit color
space. In order to figure out how much I could record for each
different codec I need to get a good idea of a decent compression ratio
for each codec. I hope someone can help :)

Reuven

comp.compression 4601 articles. 14 followers. Post Follow

Reuven wrote:
> I was currently given the task to see how many minutes/hours I could
> record on varying sizes of CompactFlash disks (from 512MB to 12GB). The
> resolution is 640 by 480 at a frame rate of 30 fps and a 24bit color
> space. In order to figure out how much I could record for each
> different codec I need to get a good idea of a decent compression ratio
> for each codec. I hope someone can help :)

Shouldn't you be more interested in the bitrate for each of these codecs?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
0
Nicholas
1/18/2006 3:45:17 AM
> I was currently given the task to see how many minutes/hours I could
> record on varying sizes of CompactFlash disks (from 512MB to 12GB). The
> resolution is 640 by 480 at a frame rate of 30 fps and a 24bit color
> space. In order to figure out how much I could record for each
> different codec I need to get a good idea of a decent compression ratio
> for each codec. I hope someone can help :)

the compression ratio does not only depend on the codec but on the
quality level you select and the video itself ...

You could search for standard applications like DMB, DVB-[C|S|T|H] or
regular DVDs and average a bitrate commonly used in those standard
applications ...

If your typical video is different then you can't say anything without
your own compression tests on your typical source ...

bye,
Michael
0
ISO
1/18/2006 9:13:39 AM
Thank you Michael.

I guess I'm showing my newbieness when it comes to digital video. I
thought it it was as simple as each codec having a range of compression
ratios, and of those compression ratios there was a range that provided
decent video (in between really bad and really good). The task is
proving harder then I initially thought. I will however search for t
hose standard applications you mentioned.

0
Reuven
1/18/2006 4:50:14 PM
Reuven wrote:
> Thank you Michael.
>
> I guess I'm showing my newbieness when it comes to digital video. I
> thought it it was as simple as each codec having a range of compression
> ratios, and of those compression ratios there was a range that provided
> decent video (in between really bad and really good). The task is
> proving harder then I initially thought. I will however search for t
> hose standard applications you mentioned.

Most codecs allow you to set your bitrate, which defines how much data
is required for each second of video. Take your sample video, then for
each codec, choose a bitrate that gives an acceptable quality. If there
are no other restrictions, just pick the one with the lowest bitrate
with acceptable quality.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
0
Nicholas
1/18/2006 9:22:29 PM
Well, my DVD recorder can get 4 hours of good quality video at 640x480
resolution and very good quality, or 8 hours at lower quality. (The
quality difference isn't too noticeable on most live-action shows or
highly detailed anime, but becomes very noticeable and irrtating on
lower quality cartoons and live-action shows with a lot of solid
black.) Since DVD uses MPEG2, and has about 4.5G of space (single
sided/single layer), that gives you some idea of how MPEG2 performs.
You should still run your own tests though.

Is this project restricted to the formats you listed? What about
M-JPEG2000 (the JPEG2000 version of MJPEG), or DiVX/XViD?

0
cypherswipe
1/19/2006 4:41:09 PM
OOPS. CORRECTION:
I was getting the resolution mixed up. The 4/8hr is at 320x240. It gets
1/2 hours at 640x480. There is little visible difference in quality
between the 1 hour setting and the 2 hour setting.

0
cypherswipe
1/19/2006 4:46:11 PM
These links might help:
http://www.axis.com/documentation/whitepaper/video/video_compression.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_codecs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate
It looks as though MPEG4 is the most likely choice.

0
cypherswipe
1/19/2006 6:05:26 PM
You can test with this software total video converter
http://www.effectmatrix.com

0
Hanson
1/20/2006 2:02:07 PM
cypherswipe wrote:
> Is this project restricted to the formats you listed? What about
> M-JPEG2000 (the JPEG2000 version of MJPEG), or DiVX/XViD?

DivX implements MPEG-4 Part 2 Advanced Simple Profile.

XviD (DivX, backwards) implements MPEG-4 Part 2 Advanced Simple Profile
and MPEG-4 Part 10 (aka H.264, aka Advanced Video Coding).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

Thus, DivX and XviD are not new formats.
0
Grumble

BZ2 compression
HP users which still have some use for compression software may be interested in the recent release of the first beta of BZ2. http://phantasie.tonempire.net/utilitaires-f7/bz2-compression-software-t73.htm#77 or http://bz2.webhop.org BZ2 is a compression engine completely compatible with the original BZ from Mika Heiskannen and its evolution BZ49. BZ2 objectives are to compress & decode faster than BZ, while achieving at the same time higher compression ratio. Thanks to full compatibility, BZ2 can decode BZ-compressed objects, and its output can also be decoded by older BZ, including HP4...

Buy Trend Micro Internet Security Pro Receive H&R Block TaxCut Premium Free!!
>>10% off Norton Internet Security 2009 Offer http://www.sogiant.idv.tw/symantec.htm#uscanada >>Black Friday Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10 Standard- 30% off http://www.sogiant.idv.tw/nuance.htm >>Save 30% on Kaspersky Internet Security http://www.sogiant.idv.tw/kaspersky.htm >>Buy Trend Micro Internet Security Pro Receive H&R Block TaxCut Premium Free!! http://www.sogiant.idv.tw/trend.htm#tmistaxcut HOT SALE SOFTWARES & SPECIAL OFFERS TODAY 1.Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 2.McAfee Internet Security 2009 3-User 3.TurboTax Deluxe Federal ...

Further compress a already compressed file
Dear all, My question is, can a compressed file be further compressed by the same compression algorithm or other compresssion algorithm? Why or Why not? My experimental result is. Yes, it can be further compressed by a considerably amount. (sometimes 50%) Is that theoratically possible? This is against the impression I used to have. Can some one kindly answer my question or give me some reference. Thanks, - detailed description ------------------------------------- compression library : LZO my data set : binary data. I have a program that uses lzo library to com...

Compression question #2
Hi, I'm using PSP Photo X2. I'm uploading some pics to a photo-sharing site (SmugMug). The uploading has been taking a long time so I decided to use Export/JPG Optimiser first in order to reduce the size of the files. I've been using it for years for that purpose, when making pictures for my webpage, but now I'm wondering whether I've somehow misunderstood. I've opened a file. When I look at it in Windows Explorer, or look at the Image Info in PSP, I'm told that the size of the file is 4,472KB. However, when I then go to Export/JPG Optimiser it tells me that the ...

Compress an already compressed Jpeg
We are trialing some software that very basically allows your average Joe with the correct client software installed send an image file via the internet to a server running the server side of this software. While this is already very easy to do with a bit of HTML code and asp/php e.t.c to receive and manipulate the file. This software claims to compress the image before it is sent and then decompress the server end with no loss using file compression rather than further image compression. What's more it claims it compresses them up to 80% compression before transfer! While I can believe t...

Compressing DVD files
Hi Folks. I have Mac The Ripper v3.x and I have ripped a DVD. I now have a folder (TS folder) full of files. Forgive me, as I do not know anything about ripping DVDs. I have a few questions. If you have any time and are willing to help, I would be grateful. 1) Once MTR does its job, how do I use the folder of files to burn to a backup copy? 2) What if this folder is too large for a single DVD? I have downloaded and used Divx and Xvid files in the past and they are fanstastic quality. How would I go about compressing the video? Any advice on doing this process anywhere from A to Z wou...

Creating compressed archive > 2 GB under OSS
Has anybody been able to create an archive > 2 GB with OSS? I tried the several utilities like gzip, but when the archive reaches 2 GB, the operation ends with an error. I want to compress a rather large directory (32GB) into one archive. Of course splitting the archive into several smaller files, like PAK does, would help. Preferably I would like to produce the archive in the Guardian filespace. I need this archive for backup reasons. Thanks in advance Wolfgang On Dec 14, 10:09 am, wbreidbach <wolfgang.breidb...@bv- zahlungssysteme.de> wrote: > Has anybody been able to create an ...

How to quickly crop images to 3:2 aspect ratio?
I have a hundred or so 1600x1200 images that I want to crop to a 3:2 aspect ratio for making 4x6 prints. I used to use a Windows application (MGI Photosuite) that had the ability to crop to an aspect ratio and was quick in that you couldn't screw up. I realize Gimp allow selection aspect ratios, but the selection rectangle is a free-for-all in that I cannot quickly determine if the upper left corner is at 0,0. It still requires some precision mouse control. How can I quickly do this? I want to be able to move the selection up/down and then crop. Thanks, Mike. ...

Tan compression
I got this 'wack' concept while I'm working with Trigonometry see this Sinx [0,1] in Q-I so as Cosx [0,1] in Q-I but Tan has [0, infinity] If I change binary data like this 100010011110111110110001 1. 100010011110111110110001 I can found out angle in Rads so we can get better compression ratios Thanks. This time where I did my mistake. Comments/suggestions please On Nov 14, 9:38=A0am, Nimo <azeez...@gmail.com> wrote: > I got this 'wack' concept while I'm working > > with Trigonometry > see this > > Sinx [0,1] in Q-I > > so a...

file compression
I'd like to use python for file compression/decompression. I see from the manuals that there's a number of ways to do that, so I was hoping somebody could point me toward the lightest-weight solution. The files I'm working with are python modules and LaTeX source files, and I need to make them into archives so I can store them in my website. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you. Peace Elaine> The files I'm working with are python modules and LaTeX source Elaine> files, and I need to make them into archives so I can store them Elaine> in my webs...

TIP #234: Add Support For Zlib Compression
TIP #234: ADD SUPPORT FOR ZLIB COMPRESSION ============================================ Version: $Revision: 1.1 $ Author: Pascal Scheffers <pascal_at_scheffers.net> State: Draft Type: Project Tcl-Version: 8.5 Vote: Pending Created: Wednesday, 08 December 2004 URL: http://purl.org/tcl/tip/234.html WebEdit: http://purl.org/tcl/tip/edit/234 Post-History: ------------------------------------------------------------------------- ABSTRACT ========== This TIP proposes a new core package with commands to handle compressi...

efficient compression tools
Hi all, I am facing the following problem (on a mainframe platform). After a few somewhat crude attempts on my own, I thought I would seek guidance from any experts out there... I have a log file with the following fixed format (it is infact an MVS PDSE but that shouldn't matter). 15-char data set name (padded right with spaces) 1 space 8-char timestamp mmddyyyy 1 space 6-char file size (i.e. can be at most 999999, padded left with spaces) My system produces about 20 such logfiles a day, each about 10MB. I want to compress these files as much as possible manner using standard UNIX too...

Java text compression
What's the fastest way to compress/decompress text?We're doing that over really large datasets in our app. We're currently converting char arrays to byte arrays using our own UTF-8 conversion code, and then compressing the bytes using java.util.zip. The code is pretty old.I don't like this two-step process, and the profiler shows that this is a bottleneck in our app.Is anyone aware of any code that compresses chars directly? Perhaps a third-party library that does it faster?In our particular situation, decompression speed is a lot more important than compression speed. Chris wr...

ACE not really portable if you need to copy config.h
IMHO, ACE is not really portable if you have to copy the config.h file from the source config-$OS$.h I wasted time trying to build ACE, because I wasn't aware that this file had to be copied. I'm sure this happens to a lot of first time users. IMHO, it would be far better if there was one config.h file that used #ifdef to point to the desired OS config.h file. Example: #ifndef ACE_CONFIG_H #define ACE_CONFIG_H #ifdef _WIN32_WCE #include "ace/config-win32.h" #elif defined(__LINUX__) #include "ace/config-linux.h" #elif defined(ACE_AIX_VERS51) #i...

BWT code for image compression.
Hi I'm looking for BWT(binary wavelet transform) code for image compression. I'd like to compress a JPEG file using BWT bye. hi , i want any technique to compress jpeg image. please help. "Amit" <amit_rajhansh@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:eee500d.0@webx.raydaftYaTP... > hi , > i want any technique to compress jpeg image. > please help. function y = compressimage(imagename) y = []; There you go, perfect compression. Oh, you wanted a _specific_ type of image compression? You want to be able to reverse the compression? That's a bit trickie...

To Compress or Not To Compress -- That is the Question !
Hi: I'm running a website (I have three sites on my older Dell -- Pentium 4 with 2GB of Memory and a 350Gig Harddrive) with an xHarbour .exe as the CGI 'script'. If I have many simultaneous clients, is there a significant benefit or penalty to compressing the .exe ? Currently, one of the compressed executables is 486,400 bytes. Uncompressed, it is 1,076,224 bytes. I welcome your opinions. Thanks. -Mel Smith -- Mel Smith Mel, In case of your setup IMHO the compressed .exe has no advantages, the decompressing operation ( aka UnZip ) - eats the serv...

C.H.I.P. The $9 1GHz ARM Linux computer with 4GB flash + 512MB RAM
C.H.I.P. The $9 1GHz ARM Linux computer with 4GB flash + 512MB RAM ------------------------------------------------------------------ https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer Orders and Funding have gone through the roof. On 09/05/2015 02:00 pm, 7 wrote: > C.H.I.P. The $9 1GHz ARM Linux computer with 4GB flash + 512MB RAM > ------------------------------------------------------------------ > > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer > > Orders and Funding have gone through the ...

urgent help in image compression
hi gyes i doing a project in image compression but not all the image i first decompose it by wavelet decomposition then compress only the the detail parts(vertical, horizontal and digonal) and iam looking for an efficient compression algorithm for and asking if i can only add a quantization part then entropy but i dont know how and which type should i use so ,please any one know anything about this and can give me any simple guide i will be very thankful note i used the compression matlab programs in matlab center but i didnt get agood result i hope to read any replay thanks in all the cases ...

Re: how to sample compressed dataset? #4
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:36:18 -0400, Jeff <zhujp98@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >12 data orig.claims; > >13 do pickit=1 to totobs by 20; > >14 set origdata.claims point=pickit nobs=totobs; > >15 end; > >16 stop; > >17 run; > >ERROR: The POINT= data set option is not valid for the data set >ORIGDATA.CLAIMS, the data set must be > >accessible by observation number for POINT= processing. > >NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors. > >WARNING: The data set ORIG.CLAIMS may be incomplete. When this step was >stoppe...

RE: Need help with apack compression code
try google: "python apack" found several in general, always google first; python has so many devotees that someone has generally solved most problems already. -----Original Message----- From: python-list-bounces+frsells=adventistcare.org@python.org [mailto:python-list-bounces+frsells=adventistcare.org@python.org]On Behalf Of priya kale Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:33 PM To: python-list@python.org Subject: Need help with apack compression code [html-removed] I need to code for decompressing the file which is compressed using Apack, I am supposed to code it in visual c++, Plz...

US-TX-Austin: Vignette Developer, v6 expert /v7 exp., Java, VAP.VCM; C-H (45313414412)
US-TX-Austin: Vignette Developer, v6 expert /v7 exp., Java, VAP.VCM; C-H (45313414412) ====================================================================================== Position: Vignette Developer Reference: SMC01587 Location: Austin TX Duration: Contract to Hire Skills: v6 expert /v7 experience Strong Java experience Experience with VAP/VCM 4.5.1 products also needed. Please send your current resume in confidence to <staffing@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45313414412. ...

folder compression hangs
Deleted a few old saved mails and when I exited Pegasus (version 4.02) the program tries to compress folders. But it's hanging and I have to end the task. Will give the warning message at next startup which I can clear by removing the mailbox lock file, but now tries to compress every time I exit and every time it hangs. Suggestions welcome. On 04 Aug 2006, j@optonline.net (j) wrote in news:44d373fd.16794968@news.optonline.net: > Deleted a few old saved mails and when I exited Pegasus (version > 4.02) the program tries to compress folders. But it's hanging and ...

survey on compression
is there some articles, etc. that present an *exhaustive* survey of the different audio compression methods known today ? thanks in advance ! ...

Problems Printing with H/P Plotter
Hey all, I have been having problems printing assembly drawings with bill of materials, and large detail sheets with hole charts, this also includes multiple sheet drawings and assemblies. My system specs are P4 ~ Dell Workstation ~ 2.8 Ghz. 1GB Ram 128 or 256 MB Video (can't remember) Windows XP Pro OS I am plotting to a HP 488CA large ink jet color printer can print up to a "D" size. The problem is this. If I print an Assembly with or without a BOM, the drawing border will print with no text in the title block, the BOM text will print with only the vertical lines showing, t...

Compression Qs from a Compression Newbie
When compressing something, what are all the factors used to evaluate how helpful / good the compression method is, in general, and in a specific use? I am interested in finding ways to compress combinations of data that include time / date information about the functioning of an operating system, video data collected under the same o.s., and parts of the o.s. software itself. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this and would anyone have any helpful pointers? I am hoping that patterns or redundancies in the data can be used to compress it. Any helfup input appreciated, Matt ...