Does anyone have COMPRESS.EXE v1.1

Hello there,

I'm working on reverse-engineering the Microsoft DOS/Windows "KWAJ"
compression formats.

I'm looking for someone with the special version of COMPRESS.EXE that
supports this format to help me generate test files. Most versions of
COMPRESS.EXE only support the "SZDD" format (Steven Zeck's, or rather
Haruhiko Okumura's LZSS implementation). I understand this version of
COMPRESS.EXE only came with certain versions of the Microsoft Setup Toolkit.

If anyone's COMPRESS.EXE displays something similar to that given below
(i.e. it allows a choice of algorithms), please respond to me.

  Microsoft (R) Compression Utility - Version 1.11
  Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1989 - 1992.  All rights reserved.
  Usage: compress [-aAlg -bceflq$ -sSize -tText -zSize] srcArg [destArg]
    -a -- Choices for compression algorithm are:  [default = 3]
       2 - the Steven Zeck algorithm.
       3 - Jeff Johnson's algorithm (LZSS + Huffman).
    -be will include each file basename/extension in the header.
[...]

Thanks in advance
--
Stuart

0
Stuart
7/2/2003 12:39:03 AM
comp.compression 4696 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Help to convert ADPCM 4:1 compression program to 5:1 compression program
hi.. We are working on DSP and are looking for a suitable 5:1 compression algorithm. We found out that ADPCM 4:1 compression code can modified so as to give 5:1 compression, this would serve our purpose.... Kindly help us regarding this we are pasteing the 4:1 compression encoder code, please help us modify this to 5:1 compression encoder code Thanks in advance vathsala.H #include <stdio.h> #include "pcadpcm.h" /* Table of index changes */ signed char IndexTable[16] =3D { -1, -1, -1, -1, 2, 4, 6, 8, -1, -1, -1, -1, 2, 4, 6, 8, }; /* Quantizer step size lookup table */ int Ste...

Compressing compressed files?
I have a really crazy idea: Supposing you took a compressed file (any format) and pass it to a bijective decompressor,In principle the data should become less random. After that you can recompress the data with a superior algorithm. My reasoning is as follows: The set of input data for most general purpose compression algorithms tends to overlap. Within a certain margin , the set of compressed files overlaps too. I tried this out on a couple of files with David Scott's BICOM but I didn't get any positive result. My idea was that since PPMII does 40 - 50 % better than ZIP and there ...

compressing compressed video
Is it possible to noticeably compress already compressed video (DivX/MPEG) even futher using a loseless compression program? Which programs offer the highest compression radios in this case? copx copx wrote: > Is it possible to noticeably compress already compressed video (DivX/MPEG) > even futher using a loseless compression program? Yes, but not by much if at all. The most lossless compression I have seen of an .AVI occured because the PCM audio was uncompressed. The only .AVIs you'll see major compression occur is when there is so much redundant information in a frame or ...

compress utility != Compress::Zlib::compress() on linux and Windows
For some reason when the compress utility is used to create a .Z file, the result is not recognized by the Compress::Zlib uncompress() function (on either Linux or Windows). And it turns out that Compress::Zlib::compress() produces a _different_ .Z file. Editing the two seems to show that the contents are the same after a certain point and thus the headers differ. DOH! I am running with perl v5.8.6, in which Compress::Zlib v1.33 is bundled. (v1.34 was released in 2005-01; but I doubt if 1.33 is drastically out of date.) Can anyone shed some light on this? If so, you'll be doing better ...

compress.exe v1.11
Hi folks, I'm trying to find the old and obscure version 1.11 of Microsoft's compress.exe which can do Steven Zeck's original SZ compression. Hoping for help, Jim Carter ...

To Compress or Not To Compress -- That is the Question !
Hi: I'm running a website (I have three sites on my older Dell -- Pentium 4 with 2GB of Memory and a 350Gig Harddrive) with an xHarbour .exe as the CGI 'script'. If I have many simultaneous clients, is there a significant benefit or penalty to compressing the .exe ? Currently, one of the compressed executables is 486,400 bytes. Uncompressed, it is 1,076,224 bytes. I welcome your opinions. Thanks. -Mel Smith -- Mel Smith Mel, In case of your setup IMHO the compressed .exe has no advantages, the decompressing operation ( aka UnZip ) - eats the serv...

DLI Image Compression v1.1
Hello all, I've just completed features for a new version of DLI. These include an optimize for quality mode, support for encoding full chrominance channels, and support for grayscale images. The DLI site has been updated with descriptions and performance data of the new features. At typical JPEG compression ratios 10-20:1, DLI compresses ~2x JPEG at the same PSNR. At higher ratios, eg. 40-50:1, DLI compresses ~2.5x JPEG. Since the initial public display of DLI's performance, I've received a few inquiries and mostly skeptical comments. The general opinion is the claims made ...

Miscrosoft compress.exe v1.11
Hi folks, My request is very simple. I'm trying to find a copy of the old and obscure Microsoft compress.exe v1.11 which can do Steven Zeck's original SZ compression. Hoping for some help, Jim Carter Jim Carter <general@emr.net> writes: > Hi folks, > My request is very simple. I'm trying to find a copy of > the old and obscure Microsoft compress.exe v1.11 which can do > Steven Zeck's original SZ compression. Do you know what version of MS-DOS it came with. There are archives of old versions of obsolete OSes online, including most versions of DOS and Wi...

how can i write this statement labels=[1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;]; in compress fo
How to write it in compact form to avoid repetition "shah " <shahkhn3@gmail.com> wrote in message <lodugh$8hr$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > How to write it in compact form to avoid repetition You'll find in this thread different solutions for similar question http://www.mathworks.fr/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/335814 Bruno ...

tape compression on hardware and compression via device ( /dev/rmt/1[m,c]n )
Is there a relationship between the tape compression on the hardware and usage of the compression level on the tape device ( e.g. /dev/rmt/1mn or /dev/rmt/1cn ). Does using the compression on the tape device enable ( or disables in the absence of the compression level on the device ) the compression on the hardware ? ( via the driver that somehow tells the hardware to use / not use compression ) ? jms wrote: > Is there a relationship between the tape compression on the hardware and > usage of the compression level on the tape device ( e.g. /dev/rmt/1mn > or /dev/rmt/1cn ). > ...

Further compress a already compressed file
Dear all, My question is, can a compressed file be further compressed by the same compression algorithm or other compresssion algorithm? Why or Why not? My experimental result is. Yes, it can be further compressed by a considerably amount. (sometimes 50%) Is that theoratically possible? This is against the impression I used to have. Can some one kindly answer my question or give me some reference. Thanks, - detailed description ------------------------------------- compression library : LZO my data set : binary data. I have a program that uses lzo library to com...

Compress an already compressed Jpeg
We are trialing some software that very basically allows your average Joe with the correct client software installed send an image file via the internet to a server running the server side of this software. While this is already very easy to do with a bit of HTML code and asp/php e.t.c to receive and manipulate the file. This software claims to compress the image before it is sent and then decompress the server end with no loss using file compression rather than further image compression. What's more it claims it compresses them up to 80% compression before transfer! While I can believe t...

Compression Qs from a Compression Newbie
When compressing something, what are all the factors used to evaluate how helpful / good the compression method is, in general, and in a specific use? I am interested in finding ways to compress combinations of data that include time / date information about the functioning of an operating system, video data collected under the same o.s., and parts of the o.s. software itself. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this and would anyone have any helpful pointers? I am hoping that patterns or redundancies in the data can be used to compress it. Any helfup input appreciated, Matt ...

compressing an already compressed archive
Hi all, why it is said that compressing an already compressed archive will not have much benefit , independent of the algorithm being used ? annalissa <aarklon@gmail.com> wrote: > why it is said that compressing an already compressed archive will > not have much benefit , independent of the algorithm being used ? Well, it isn't true in general, but is usually for reasonable compression algorithms. Some time ago I was working on a program to generate PDFs of scanned images. First I did the run-length compression, as that was pretty easy. Then I added LZW, but didn't...

How compress a string into a compressed string?
Hi! I use VC++.NET 2003. I want to compress following text string. I store following text in std::string. std::string a="2B3A2BF0BCD8773D23BEE5550A56E86AF6CF64911214862625027CE7032451282E33F0BFB09D69091D39B1A1788E1A707E50A1948038500CF2044163F379912AD8B59848C7670C94B29B54D2379E2E7AD8B59848C7670C94B29B54D2379E2E7AD8B59848C7670C94B29B54D2379E2E7AD8B59848C7670C94B29B54D2379E2E7AD8B59848C7670C94B29B54D2379E2E7AD8B59848C7670C94B29B54D2379E2E7AD8B59848C7670C94B29B54D2379E2E7AD8B59848C7670C94B29B54D2379E2E7AD8B59848C7670C94B29B54D2379E2E7AD8B59848C7670C94B29B54D2379E2E7AD8B59848C7670C94B29B54D2...

compress
Hi, list, did somebody experienced that behaviour? (there are no concurrent sessions) mmm@APPL> select count(*) from t_noc; COUNT(*) ---------- 4506664 mmm@APPL> alter table t_noc move compress; Tabelle wurde ge�ndert. mmm@APPL> select count(*) from t_noc; COUNT(*) ---------- 4506722 I could reproduce this on 9.2.0.6 as well 9.2.0.4 on linux, i'd searched Metalink on this issue, but found nothing similar. I'll open an iTAR tomorrow, but, maybe, its a known bug, so any expirience will be appreciated. The only thing i can suspict at the moment - there are 2 colu...

Determine compression method from compressed data
Hi; Maybe one of you recognizes some characteristic bits in the stream described below. My goal is to find a way to compress a different stream so that the same given decoder will be able to decompress it, but I haven't yet been able to determine the compression method nor its parameters. There is no header (no gzip,arj,...). Data is stored in contiguous chunks; each prefixed with one big-endian 16-bit word specifying the expected length (in bytes) of the chunk when uncompressed, and a second word specifying the number of bytes following in the compressed chunk. The uncompressed length...

compression question / question de compression
La "traduction" suit... EN : Hi ! Sorry about this bilingual post. In fact this mail is about the new compression algorithm claimed to be discovered by Euclide (see recent news on datacompression.info). After that, I had some thought. Is something like that really possible ?? Is that possible to do better thant cabac (Lossless Compression part of H264), the still to come "grasp" (HHI), or huffman ?? It sure should be... But how ?? So I fall on to an idea (Or an idea fall on to me ?). I don't know if such a process would be valuable in terms of compression. Anyway, h...

Data Compression with known compression ratio
Hi All, I want to know the Data compression algorithms that predicts the size of compressed data before compressing it. I do aggree that the compression is depend on the data you provide. But is their any intellegent compression algorithm which decides the size of compressed data before compressing it. Example: I need to make compressed files of same size (i.e 10 K). Hence some I have to consider 15 K or 13 K (variable size) of data which may lead to 10 K after compression. Your inputs and suggestions are welcome. Thanks and Regards Nagesh Hi, > I want to know the Data compression al...

Index compression vs. table compression
Hello I run Oracle 9.2.0.5 on a RedHat AS 2.1 box with 8 Xeon CPUs. There is a clear mismatch between the overwhelming computer power and the poor disks attached. I am contemplating to setup a tablespace with compression and a blocksize of 16K (queries are of Data Warehouse type), and the corresponding 16k db cache (there is enough RAM), in order to take better advantage of this situation (the standard blocksize is 8K). That is quite simple to do. A simple "alter table xxx move compress tablespace DWH_16C" should do it. But with indexes, there is a difference I don't quite unde...

training a compression algorithm to compress better
I was wondering if it would be possible to train a compression algorithm to be able to compress better and better? For example by means of a kind of Reinforcement Learning? On 10.05.2011 14:39, Jan Bours wrote: > I was wondering if it would be possible to train a compression algorithm > to be able to compress better and better? For example by means of a kind > of Reinforcement Learning? In sense, this is how any adaptive entropy coder works, namely by training its probability estimates to the observed frequencies. Of course not by reinforcement learning. Despite that, you can a...

AAC compression chips? Other compression chips?
Dear All, I'm looking for inexpensive hardware solution (chips) to encode groups of 6 channel 44/48k signals into streams of preferably AAC. Or WMA or MP3 or AC-3 if it is simpler. The idea is that signal is input as regular 48k/24bit pcm, than the user can select compression DR (eg 64kbps for 12 channels or 128kpbs for 6 channels) and the circuit will spit out serial encoded data in a RS422 like format to be tranmitted through a radio link. At the receiving end a decoder would reverse the above, I can see quite a few decoder chips. Is there an audio encoder chip out there? (other t...

vmzcore.NN not in compressed format but compressed?
I'm looking for a 60-ft bungee cord and a 40-ft bridge.... I'm trying to analyze a crash dump. Here is the current issue: # pwd /usr/adm/crash # # ls *.28 crash-data.28 vmunix.28 vmzcore.28 # # file *.28 crash-data.28: ascii text vmunix.28: COFF format alpha executable or object module not stripped - version 3.13-14 vmzcore.28: compressed memory image(dump) file # # # ln -s vmzcore.28 vmzcore.28.Z # # zcat vmzcore.28.Z | dd of=/tmp/vmcore.28 conv=sparse vmzcore.28.Z: not in compressed format 0+0 records in 0+0 records out # # So the file ...

Why less than 1:1 filecompression when backing up already compressed files?
Hi This question might be in the wrong NG but I'm not sure where else to ask it, and my DLT is SCSI :-) Anyway. How come I get less than 1:1 backup when I'm backing up a lot of already compressed files (ZIP and such)? I get 0.9:1 and therefore approx 19Gb on an 20/40 Gb tape. I'm using hardware compression so it shouldn't matter what software I'm using and there is a small status windows on the device which shows a factor of 0.9:1 when backing up. The DLT is an ADIC DS9400D which contains an DLT4000 unit if it makes any difference. In my opinion, 'worst case...

Web resources about - Does anyone have COMPRESS.EXE v1.1 - comp.compression

compress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Compress is a Unix shell compression program based on the LZC compression method, which is an LZW implementation using variable size pointers ...

Data Compress: Saves you money on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Data Compress: Saves you money. Download Data Compress: Saves you ...

Time to compress our thinking about the NBN
Are we really the smart country? Or are we just dumb jerks lucky enough to occupy a hunk of rock whose geographic isolation makes us astonishingly ...

FileOptimizer can compress 33 different formats
Recently we took a look at PNGGauntlet , an excellent tool which could compress PNG files by up to 50 percent without any apparent loss of quality. ...

Compress data more densely with Zopfli
By Lode Vandevenne, Software Engineer, Compression Team Cross-posted with the Google Open Source Blog The Zopfli Compression Algorithm is a ...

Compress A Bunch Of Files Into One Zip Archive For Easier Sharing
I remember back in the olden, pre-OS X days, when you’d need to use a utility like Stuffit to compress a bunch of files together into one archive, ...

All the ghostly sounds that are lost when you compress to mp3
A song made with only the sounds that were left out when compressing Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner" to mp3.

Google Chrome for Android, iOS Now Compress Data for Users
Data compression, which will reduce data usage and save money for mobile users, is one of several new features in the latest Chrome browser updates ...

NKE Sales, Multiple to Compress, Analyst Says
Citing an inventory build and other factors, consumer analyst Camilo Lyon believes a sales slowdown may occur at Nike (NKE)

Opera is teasing Max app to compress all your mobile pics and videos
Opera is getting ready to release its mobile data compression app Max to a wider audience: The browser maker opened up preregistration for a ...