Does rar32.exe support long filenames?

I have a directory for example:
c:\Dir1\long-file-name1.txt
c:\Dir1\long-file-name2.txt
c:\Dir1\long-file-name3.txt
c:\Dir1\long-file-name4.txt

but when I add these files to a rar archive using rar32.exe from the command
line (in the Dir1 directory) I get the files:

long-f~1.txt
long-f~2.txt
long-f~3.txt
long-f~4.txt

does anyone have any ideas how I can store the actual name of these files.
I have to use rar32.exe and not winrar because I am automating this
operation.

Your thoughts?

0
Max
7/1/2003 3:00:39 PM
comp.compression 4696 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:00:39 +0100, Max Adams wrote:

> I have a directory for example:
> c:\Dir1\long-file-name1.txt
> c:\Dir1\long-file-name2.txt
> c:\Dir1\long-file-name3.txt
> c:\Dir1\long-file-name4.txt
>
> but when I add these files to a rar archive using rar32.exe from the command
> line (in the Dir1 directory) I get the files:
>
> long-f~1.txt
> long-f~2.txt
> long-f~3.txt
> long-f~4.txt
>
> does anyone have any ideas how I can store the actual name of these files.
> I have to use rar32.exe and not winrar because I am automating this
> operation.
>
> Your thoughts?

Get a decent operating system, it's not the 80s any more, you know.

Phil

0
Phil
7/1/2003 10:48:00 PM
Max Adams:

[...]

>does anyone have any ideas how I can store the actual name of these files.
>I have to use rar32.exe and not winrar because I am automating this
>operation.

Get a new version of that command line tool.

If you are using DOS only, I think you're out of luck. There's no way
to access long file names unless you program your own file system API
(which is possible, given that you're allowed to do anything under
DOS).

Regards,
Marco
0