Future of the Image Compression

Hi..,

well, I'm amazing
how would be the future of Image compression in
the coming years..,

If you folks have any ideas( if it sounds weird, no one cares )
please, just shout what you think :_)

starting with me..,

  "  I'm expecting efficient *pattern recognition* algos
     which are going to be included in the respective image
     decoders. "

so long
    nimo
______
"Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypoth=E8se-l=E0",

0
Nimo
6/14/2009 4:27:06 AM
comp.compression 4601 articles. 14 followers. Post Follow

On Jun 14, 4:27 am, Nimo <azeez...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi..,
>
> well, I'm amazing
> how would be the future of Image compression in
> the coming years..,
>
> If you folks have any ideas( if it sounds weird, no one cares )
> please, just shout what you think :_)
>
> starting with me..,
>
>   "  I'm expecting efficient *pattern recognition* algos
>      which are going to be included in the respective image
>      decoders. "
>
> so long
>     nimo
> ______
> "Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypoth=E8se-l=E0",

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DlEVe7vU5WiU

0
Industrial
6/14/2009 10:05:23 AM
Nimo wrote:
> Hi..,
>
> well, I'm amazing
> how would be the future of Image compression in
> the coming years..,
>
> If you folks have any ideas( if it sounds weird, no one cares )
> please, just shout what you think :_)

Most activity is in the video business by now since you can achieve
higher compression rates there. But anyhow, there are a couple of
"content-adaptive" transformations out there that are being worked on.
Curvelets, Wedgelets, X-lets... Plus approaches that are very specific
for the application domain. Pattern recognition is "too broad" a field,
but the underlying idea of segmenting an image into objects might be.
Using inpainting for compression might be another. What's also currently
under research are "perceptive" coding mechanisms, i.e. how can I
improve the visual quality (vs. the "PSNR") of an image, using here
filter approaches motivated from human perception.

So long,
	Thomas
0
Thomas
6/14/2009 4:28:18 PM
Thomas Richter <thor@math.tu-berlin.de> wrote in
news:h13858$jkg$1@infosun2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de: On Sun 14 Jun 2009
09:28:18a, you wrote in comp.compression:

> Nimo wrote:
>> Hi..,
>>
>> well, I'm amazing
>> how would be the future of Image compression in
>> the coming years..,
>>
>> If you folks have any ideas( if it sounds weird, no one cares )
>> please, just shout what you think :_)
>
> Most activity is in the video business by now since you can achieve
> higher compression rates there. But anyhow, there are a couple of
> "content-adaptive" transformations out there that are being worked on.
> Curvelets, Wedgelets, X-lets... Plus approaches that are very specific

   I know only wavelets & curvelets; may be I've to update my grey
   matter with these latest terms Wedgelets, X-lets.

> for the application domain. Pattern recognition is "too broad" a
> field,

uh.., but there's lot of hype in the OS newsgroups/forums, might be they
are just using that same word for the last 3-5 years without caring
anything about it.

> but the underlying idea of segmenting an image into objects might be.
> Using inpainting for compression might be another. What's also
> currently under research are "perceptive" coding mechanisms, i.e. how
> can I improve the visual quality (vs. the "PSNR") of an image, using
> here filter approaches motivated from human perception.

    Filter approach.., wow
  this would be very intertesting;

working on Lossy instead of *lossles* would be very productive, that's
what I discovered during this course and soon I dropped my efforts
working on it(Lossless); Jules,I know you are listening this :-)

> So long,
>      Thomas

Thanks Thomas :-)

   so long
       nimo

Current status:- working on wavelets

0
Nimo
6/16/2009 1:55:32 PM
Nimo wrote:

> working on Lossy instead of *lossles* would be very productive, that's
> what I discovered during this course and soon I dropped my efforts
> working on it(Lossless); Jules,I know you are listening this :-)

However, while there is definitely nothing wrong with lossy compression,
you *must* have some control on the error, otherwise it's pretty
useless. That is "rate distortion theory" is here the main issue, and
similar to the "counting argument" for lossless compression, the
rate-distortion curve is the limiting curve for lossy compression.

To be specific: You *must* define the error measure for which you are
optimal, i.e. cause minimal loss for a given rate.

I.e. while for lossless the uncompressible source is the uniform i.i.d.
zero order source, it is a zero order i.i.d. *Gaussian* source for which
lossy compression works least effective - with the mean square error as
error measure, that is. What is happening for other distortion measures
is not yet known, so there is work to be done. The mathematics for that
is not so easy.

So long,
	Thomas
0
Thomas

Intensity Image 3D reconstruction
I am having problems reconstructing intensity images from a CT xray in Matlab. I want to do something like this http://www.nbb.cornell.edu/neurobio/land/PROJECTS/Reconstruction/index.html except instead of 7 colors I would like to give it a level of gray corresponding to the intensity(say 256 colors, one per intensity value). So, for example: p=patch(isosurface(Eight_Bit_image_intensities_matrix==254)); set(p,'FaceColor','blue','EdgeColor','none'); p=patch(isosurface(Eight_Bit_image_intensities_matrix==255)); set(...

Scaling image is losing background transparency
Hi, I'm using PHP 5 and trying to scale png images programatically. Here is what I'm doing ... $src_img = imagecreatefrompng($imagefile); $hw = getimagesize($imagefile); $new_w = $w; $new_h = $hw["1"]/($hw["0"]/$w); $dst_img = @imagecreatetruecolor($new_w, $new_h); if(!$dst_img) { $dst_img = imageCreate($new_w, $new_h); } imagecopyresized($dst_img,$src_img,0,0,0,0,$new_w, $new_h,imagesx($src_img),imagesy($src_img)); imagepng($dst_img); The problem is my scaled png image loses its background transparency. The short of this i...

How to extract feature in an image?
Hi, I am doing a thesis on human identification by sclera recognition and i already have a segmented image of sclera now i have to extract feature from the sclera region. i already use gabor filter for vain enhancement and extraction but can't get the desire output. Which will be the best approach to take? Please help... ...

Nice Commodore image here
Cropped up on reddit: <http://www.interstation3d.com/portfolio/new_gallery/16bit.html> Under the title "16-bit Memories", but looking left we can see a few 8-bit ones too. Reddit thread is here: <http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/elljg/16bit_memories/> Cheers, Ian Ian McCall wrote: > Cropped up on reddit: > <http://www.interstation3d.com/portfolio/new_gallery/16bit.html> I was about to post this one but you beat me to it.. Note to all - it's a RENDER, not a photo!! > Under the title "16-bit Memories", but looki...

Encrypt or compress 100 terabits down to 1 bit of information "unbreakable"
Encrypt or compress 100 terabits down to 1 bit of information "unbreakable" First let me set my self clear i called the SRI and sent e-mails and call tufts university they told me never to call back because I told them I could make a computer of quantium type run at hyperspace this will turn a 45tflops into 1440tflops: Warning what you about to read could be classified if it is E-mail me @ betalimit@yahoo.com and i will take it down. Take a document then or a 3D matrix document change it two radom or binary code or just a program for 0's and 1's and fold it over and...

Copy image to Wordpad vs Word
I'm able to copy an image from my java application to the clipboard and paste it into Word. However, pasting it into Wordpad yields a totally black image. Also, copying the same image from Word and pasting it into Wordpad works fine. Any clue? -- Grinnikend door het leven... Hi Izak, I had some luck with copying and pasting a small picture (x.jpg) into a WordPad taking the option of using Picture(Metafile). It was not consistant. WordPad liked a x.bmp format. bH Izak van Langevelde wrote: > I'm able to copy an image from my java application to the clipboard and > pas...

SN#19317 MySQL CEO Sees Bright Future with Sun
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 119 Issue 4 2008-01-21 Article 19317 from section "Free and Open Source Software" Deal Validates Open Source Model of Business One happy camper in the wake of Sun's acquisition of MySQL is CEO Marten Mickos, who told CMP Channel's Nathan Eddy that he saw Sun as having the attributes of a startup though it ranks among the Fortune 500. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=19317 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in text or HTML. Only t...

Imaging for dual boot?
Been using Acronis True Image for WinXP, but am now dual booting with Vista. Anyone recommend imaging software that can properly handle the dual boot? Thanks -- Derek DerekBaker <Derek@DontBother.com> wrote: > Been using Acronis True Image for WinXP, but am now dual booting with Vista. > Anyone recommend imaging software that can properly handle the dual boot? TI handles that fine. * Rod Speed: > DerekBaker <Derek@DontBother.com> wrote: > >> Been using Acronis True Image for WinXP, but am now dual booting with Vista. > >&g...

draw line in an existing image
Hello Friends, I have an image 300*200 pixels. I need to draw a line on it. I know the coordinates for it. Can anyone tell mw how to go about it? Thanks, M. Mudita: <SNIP line on top of an image one of the solutions img=load('clown'); imagesc(img.X); colormap(img.map); axis image; line([10,100],[20,50],... 'linewidth',10,... 'color',[0 1 0]); us Mudita wrote: > Hello Friends, > I have an image 300*200 pixels. I need to draw a line > on it. I know the coordinates for it. > Can...

back to the future! or the future is back?
synchronet BBS is running on ps2moussa telnet, or http use it with caution :-) Moussa -- The information contained in this post is copyright of the poster, and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com Hi Moussa ! > synchronet BBS is running on ps2moussa telnet, or http > use it with caution :-) Internet these days is largely business and entertainment. If it comes to exchange knowledge and informations nothing beats a newsgroup or a real BBS. And the more basic - the better. Keeping off the dancing balonies and HTML crap. Some...

Lempel Ziv compression implementation
Hi there, I am starring at page 43 and up (5.4 Example For Lempel-Ziv encoding) from the following document: ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/1989/PS2_1989.pdf Does anyone recognize the associated algorithm ? Is it available in a publicly available library ? Thanks much for comments On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 06:30:55 -0700 (PDT), mathieu <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi there, > >I am starring at page 43 and up (5.4 Example For Lempel-Ziv encoding) from the following document: > >ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/1989/PS2_1989.pdf > >...

Future
What do you think the next iteration of Palm OS will be like ? Will it be a "Phone only" thing ? In message <48171370.1624.palmpalm002@mtlgeek.synchro.net> "Ennev" <ennev@mtlgeek.synchro.net.remove-yzy-this> wrote: >What do you think the next iteration of Palm OS will be like ? > >Will it be a "Phone only" thing ? Based on Palm's recent history, it will look and feel exactly like the current one, but have a minor point release difference and a couple new features that break some existing third party functionality withou...

images #5
Hi, I have a list of images, such as: a='C:\Sample\a.bmp'; b='C:\Sample\b.bmp'; c='C:\Sample\c.bmp'; .... I would like to create a loop in which I can display these images in a randomized order without replacement (displaying each image for 5 sec before displaying the next image). For example one iteration of the loop would produce: imshow(a)%5 sec pause imshow(b)%5 sec pause imshow(c)%5 sec pause while another may produce: imshow(b)%5 sec pause imshow(a)%5 sec pause imshow(c)%5 sec pause Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! "I would like to crea...

OT: Back to the Future? Was: [HP3000-L] OT: 60 Minutes Documents on Bush Believed Fake
Denys said: Rather, the Sequel A parody. Or perhaps a premonition? And then Denys quoted: > September 25, 2004 Saturday > > HEADLINE: ... I've heard about reporters getting the "scoop" but that's ridiculous. BT Tracy Johnson MSI Schaevitz Sensors * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Future of MC68332 ?
Hello Am looking to use the MC68332 in a new instrument design. Am going to leverage another design we did a few years ago also with the MC68000 as the product and requirements are almost identical. Is it a wise decision to go with the MC68332? I heard about the Coldfire however am hesitant to switch processor as we have a aggressive schedule. Am thinking to go ahead and use the MC68332 as I can leverage an existing design, therefore reducing software, firmware, and hardware changes and risks. Our instruments usually have a life of 10-20 years, so will need a part that will b...

line removal from an image
Hi Guys !!!!!!!!!! I have some images (grayscale) in which some text is written but with same color (which can easily get converted into black while binarizing the image) lines are drawn from one end to other . lines are continous and three or two pixel wide . some time line also intersect the text...... i want to remove the line without affecting the text ...... Plz suggest methods !!!!!! thanxxxx If you don't have a problem converting the image to binary I'd suggest using imclose (needs the image processing tool box) and a line structure element (help strel) orthagonal to the e...

Viewing extremely large images
Hi! I have a files scanned in 2400x2400 with 48bit color depth.. It is in tiff format and is approximately 3,2 GB big... Do you happen to know how could I view this file? I've tried with ACDSEE View and Adobe Acrobat 7 and they all show blank picture... Is it because I have only 512 MB of RAM? I tried to scan the picture with the same parameters to a jpg format (using normal RGB - not 48bit) - it can be viewed by the ACDSEE Viewer (aprox. 20.000x20.000 pixel) but Adobe Photoshop still refused to open the file... Do you have any suggestions? I'll be grateful for any help Best...

image compression #23
sir, i m doing fuzzy learning vector quantization program.my partial program is:- c=5; q=0.0001; v= [2 3 4 5 6]; T=100; m0=2; mf=4; t=0; x=imread('c:\lena_gray.gif'); x=double(imread('c:\lena_gray.gif')); whos imshow(x); n=length(x); e=q+0.0001; while e > q, m(t+1)=m0+t*((mf-m0)/T); %program for uik for k=1:n for l=1:n for i=1:c Dnum=normalize(x(k,l)-v(i)); sum=0; for j=1:c Dden=normalize(x(k,l)-v(j)); term=Dnum/Dden; sum =sum+term^(2/(m(t+1)-1)); end u(k,l,i)=sum^(-1); end end Err...

SN#22542 Future of Some Sun Technologies Addressed by Oracle
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 141 Issue 1 2009-11-07 Article 22542 from section "News" Information on GlassFish, OpenOffice.org, NetBeans, VirtualBox Revealed Sun GlassFish, OpenOffice.org, NetBeans and VirtualBox are a few of the Sun-related technologies whose futures' Oracle recently addressed in an update on its frequently asked questions page regarding the proposed merger of the two companies. Oracle's new statements on the above mentioned projects and others are summarized. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=22542 ...

DNSEXT future
Dear Colleagues: Last week in the WG meeting at IETF68 the chairs raised the issue that the working group has basically concluded all of its working group items. The chairs believe that there are no DNS protocol CHANGES that are being developed. With the conclusion of the NSEC3 work there seems to be consensus that DNSSEC work is done. All the remaining work in the group are close to completion, with the exception of ECC DNSKEY specification. advancing RFC's up the standards track. Both of these items have not had great interest or activity. A potential new item for the...

[News] Sun Encourages Open Source Developments, Bright Future of Java Revealed
Sun lowers barriers to open-source Java ,----[ Quote ] | Sun Microsystems is making it easier for open-source programmers to ensure | their Java versions meet the company's compatibility requirements, but the | deal extends only to those involved in Sun's own open-source Java project. `---- http://news.com.com/Sun+lowers+barriers+to+open-source+Java/2100-7344_3-6201440.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news The following comes from an Java project that has recently gone open source (Terracotta). The missing link in the application stack ,----[ Quote ] | In the last ...

XML compression #2
I have an XML file that I want to squeeze down as small as possible for storage in an embedded device. I want it to still be a valid XML file (and not something like a binary ASN.1 encoding of an XML file) but it does not need to carry the long tags it currently has as long as I create an XSLT which will put it back into the right form. What I had in mind was something like this: <original-xml-fragment> <very-long-and-verbose-tag name="Long tag 1"> <more-information-is-stored-here name="stuff 1"/> </very-long-and-verbose-tag> <very-lo...

Image overlay and movement
Hi all, I have some problems with matlab and hopefully someone could help me: Currently I try to create a GUI that is able to extract a grid on a specific region in the brain. Therefore I try to overlay to images that we take before (named DIC) and after the experiment (pDIC). One of them should be transparent. Finally I want to move one of the images to match the other exactly (both have the same x and y datapoints, but can be taken at different x,y shifts before and after experiments), thus the images should be moveable along the axis and still be visible. My current code in the m...

Image
I hava created an applet that uses JLabel and ImageIcon to place an array of images in the middle of the applet, using the following: productImages[1] = new ImageIcon(getImage(getDocumentBase(), "pic1.jpg")); This works fine in the applet. I then created a seperate class to load the applet using the "public static void main(String args[])" method, but i could not run the main method unless i changed the ImageIcon code to: productImages[1] = new ImageIcon("pic1.jpg"); Again this now works fine. My problem is that i then created an executable jar file containi...

Merging two gif images in JDK 1.1.8 using AWT
Hi all, I do have a requirement in my project to merge two images in JDK 1.1.8. Say example, we have the following first image is of size 640 x 1151 pixels second image is of size 100 x 100 pixels. i have to insert the second image (100 x 100) into the first image (640 x 1151) in some random position. i have managed to do the same using the following code. Component drawingComponent; //some Drawing Component Image tempImage = drawingComponent.createImage(firstImage.width, firstImage.height); Graphics graphics = tempImage.getGraphics(); graphics.drawImage(firstImage, 0, 0, drawingComponent)...