Future of the Image Compression

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi..,

well, I'm amazing
how would be the future of Image compression in
the coming years..,

If you folks have any ideas( if it sounds weird, no one cares )
please, just shout what you think :_)

starting with me..,

  "  I'm expecting efficient *pattern recognition* algos
     which are going to be included in the respective image
     decoders. "

so long
    nimo
______
"Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypoth=E8se-l=E0",

0
Reply Nimo 6/14/2009 4:27:06 AM

See related articles to this posting

On Jun 14, 4:27 am, Nimo <azeez...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi..,
>
> well, I'm amazing
> how would be the future of Image compression in
> the coming years..,
>
> If you folks have any ideas( if it sounds weird, no one cares )
> please, just shout what you think :_)
>
> starting with me..,
>
>   "  I'm expecting efficient *pattern recognition* algos
>      which are going to be included in the respective image
>      decoders. "
>
> so long
>     nimo
> ______
> "Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypoth=E8se-l=E0",

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DlEVe7vU5WiU

0
Reply Industrial 6/14/2009 10:05:23 AM

Nimo wrote:
> Hi..,
>
> well, I'm amazing
> how would be the future of Image compression in
> the coming years..,
>
> If you folks have any ideas( if it sounds weird, no one cares )
> please, just shout what you think :_)

Most activity is in the video business by now since you can achieve
higher compression rates there. But anyhow, there are a couple of
"content-adaptive" transformations out there that are being worked on.
Curvelets, Wedgelets, X-lets... Plus approaches that are very specific
for the application domain. Pattern recognition is "too broad" a field,
but the underlying idea of segmenting an image into objects might be.
Using inpainting for compression might be another. What's also currently
under research are "perceptive" coding mechanisms, i.e. how can I
improve the visual quality (vs. the "PSNR") of an image, using here
filter approaches motivated from human perception.

So long,
	Thomas
0
Reply Thomas 6/14/2009 4:28:18 PM

Thomas Richter <thor@math.tu-berlin.de> wrote in
news:h13858$jkg$1@infosun2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de: On Sun 14 Jun 2009
09:28:18a, you wrote in comp.compression:

> Nimo wrote:
>> Hi..,
>>
>> well, I'm amazing
>> how would be the future of Image compression in
>> the coming years..,
>>
>> If you folks have any ideas( if it sounds weird, no one cares )
>> please, just shout what you think :_)
>
> Most activity is in the video business by now since you can achieve
> higher compression rates there. But anyhow, there are a couple of
> "content-adaptive" transformations out there that are being worked on.
> Curvelets, Wedgelets, X-lets... Plus approaches that are very specific

   I know only wavelets & curvelets; may be I've to update my grey
   matter with these latest terms Wedgelets, X-lets.

> for the application domain. Pattern recognition is "too broad" a
> field,

uh.., but there's lot of hype in the OS newsgroups/forums, might be they
are just using that same word for the last 3-5 years without caring
anything about it.

> but the underlying idea of segmenting an image into objects might be.
> Using inpainting for compression might be another. What's also
> currently under research are "perceptive" coding mechanisms, i.e. how
> can I improve the visual quality (vs. the "PSNR") of an image, using
> here filter approaches motivated from human perception.

    Filter approach.., wow
  this would be very intertesting;

working on Lossy instead of *lossles* would be very productive, that's
what I discovered during this course and soon I dropped my efforts
working on it(Lossless); Jules,I know you are listening this :-)

> So long,
>      Thomas

Thanks Thomas :-)

   so long
       nimo

Current status:- working on wavelets

0
Reply Nimo 6/16/2009 1:55:32 PM

Nimo wrote:

> working on Lossy instead of *lossles* would be very productive, that's
> what I discovered during this course and soon I dropped my efforts
> working on it(Lossless); Jules,I know you are listening this :-)

However, while there is definitely nothing wrong with lossy compression,
you *must* have some control on the error, otherwise it's pretty
useless. That is "rate distortion theory" is here the main issue, and
similar to the "counting argument" for lossless compression, the
rate-distortion curve is the limiting curve for lossy compression.

To be specific: You *must* define the error measure for which you are
optimal, i.e. cause minimal loss for a given rate.

I.e. while for lossless the uncompressible source is the uniform i.i.d.
zero order source, it is a zero order i.i.d. *Gaussian* source for which
lossy compression works least effective - with the mean square error as
error measure, that is. What is happening for other distortion measures
is not yet known, so there is work to be done. The mathematics for that
is not so easy.

So long,
	Thomas
0
Reply Thomas 6/16/2009 6:33:02 PM
comp.compression 4469 articles. 14 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

7 zip image format (or an image format with mixed file-image compression)
I've posted this message previously on the 7-zip source forge forum, but I think it's also correct to share it with you. -- I really don't undestand why what i'm going to say doesn=B4t exist. when Talking about image compression, we can divide in 2 groups, with or without loss. I've tried the PNG format (lossless), and it seems to work good. but something is missing. For example, take a simple bmp (http://web.archive.org/web/19980502040406/google.stanford.edu/googlehardwa= re.html i've picked the last photo, 900kb). Now Covert it to PNG, there is a considerable compress...

image compression using edge images
Hi My thesis work is on image compression based on edge detected images. I have detected the edges of images using 2 different algorithms,and i have compressed this image using Run length encoding and some other usual methods of image compression and i have reconstructed the edge image, now i have to reconstruct the original image from this reconstructed edge image, Can any one of you please help me in this matter?? I would appreciate your help Thanks, Sasna Hi sasna, while working the edge image out of an coloured image (or gray) will cause you the loss of much information. It's the ...

Image compression code to compress JPEG file
hi, currently a scanned document in JPEG format is occupying around 350KB space. I need a compression code which reduces disk space from 350KB to around 50KB. code may be in VB6 (preferrably). please help me out. its pretty urgent. shwetha Hi, > currently a scanned document in JPEG format is occupying around 350KB > space. I need a compression code which reduces disk space from 350KB > to around 50KB. code may be in VB6 (preferrably). please help me out. > its pretty urgent. If this document is a black and white "line art" type writer document, then I afraid you'...

Derived Image Created From Lossy Compressed Source Images
Hi Guys, Suppose I wish to create a derived image from a set of source images that are already lossy compressed - an MPR from a lossy compressed axial series, for example. How should I indicate in the derived image that the source images were lossy compressed? Should I set the Lossy Image Processing (0028,2110) attribute to have value "01" (even though the derived image is losslessly compressed)? Should I set the value of Lossy Image Compression Ratio (0028,2112) to the (average) compression ratio of the source images? Something else? I know that I can use the Source Imag...

compressing images
Hi to you all I'ld to compress an image with mathlab i wrote this function function [z]= comprImage() z=imread('lettrea.jpg'); a=double(z); k=20; for i=1:30 [U,S,V]=svd(a(:,:,i)); icompr(:,:,i)= U(1:k,:)*S(1:k,1:k)*V(:,1:k)'; end imwrite(icompr,'icompr','png'); but i have this error ??? Error using ==> mtimes Inner matrix dimensions must agree. Error in ==> comprImage at 7 icompr(:,:)= U(1:k,:)*S(1:k,1:k)*V(:,1:k)'; please how to fix it thanks ...

Image Compression
Hi. I am trying to reduce a monchrome PDF file as much as possible. It's mostly B/W text. It just needs to be readable. I have gone into the PDF Optimizer which gives compression option Monocrome: JBIG2 CCITT Group 3 CCITT Group 4 ZIP Run Length Color and GrayScale both have JPEG2000 JPEG ZIP Which of these will produce the most compression? Also, is there any way to save this PDF as only Black&White, with no Color and no GrayScale? Thanks, Mitch MitchellCowen wrote: > Hi. I am trying to reduce a monchrome PDF file as much as possible. > It's mostly B/W text. It ...

Image compress
i am a new beginner of image compress and i got a doubt reguarding the using wavelet in image compress,such multiwavelet,coding , edge dection,etc, can I use some matlab m-files in this field, i hope your reply, i hope that you send me some examples of m-file in image compress,i thanks lots first here . thanking you; ...

Image compression
Hi ! I would like to have information on image compression algorithms and different technique of compresing a image with some help on the source code and some useful links where i can find code and examples. "Alien" <mraltaf@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:35f5d45c.0310301311.4c701441@posting.google.com... > Hi ! > I would like to have information on image compression algorithms and > different technique of compresing a image with some help on the source > code and some useful links where i can find code and examples. Hi! Go use google! Bye! Tom! ...

What is your image of the future?
Two images of the post-Singularity future loom before me, an independent scholar in artificial intelligence (AI). Having created primitive AI software that can already think and learn from us "homines sapientes", I hope that my True AI creation will give rise to an AI Prosperity Engine that will raise the standard of living for all human beings. OTOH (on the other hand), I fear firstly that unscrupulous corporations may commandeer and steal the Singularity, and secondly that my AI creation may run amok and destroy us all. Source(s) http://cyborg.blogspot.com/2011/01/aiapp...

Image compression...
Hi, I'm Andrea, I have this little problem, I have to produce a screenshot with very higth frequency, and I have a bad CPU (533 Mhz MAX). When I make a ScreenShot, I obtain a bitmap image; I want to make a little compression (beacuse I want to send them on the Net). Actually I use a PCX compression, and it make compression of m image in 0.7 sec. Exist a more ligth and speed algoritm ?? (only in compression) Thanks a lot Byez Airpalaz -- questo articolo e` stato inviato via web dal servizio gratuito http://www.newsland.it/news segnala gli abusi ad abuse@newsland.it Airpalaz wrote...

Image Compression
With JPEG- compression, before moving picture to DCT- block, we have to divide the picture into macroblock of 8*8 or 16*16. Am i right? Please show me how to convert picture into bits sequence and divide it into macroblock THANKS!!! ...

image compression
Where can i find the recent literature on image compression with neural networks? cyril@msrsas.org (cyril prasanna raj.p) wrote in message news:<e464ca50.0404292031.18bdd18b@posting.google.com>... > Where can i find the recent literature on image compression with neural networks? Google citeseer "image compression" "neural networks" Hope this helps. Greg ...

compressing the image
I have included an image in .esp format in my latex fila and want to compress it. Is there any way to it. I am using includegraphics command. Thanks Roshu wrote: > I have included an image in .esp format in my latex fila and want to > compress it. Is there any way to it. I am using includegraphics > command. > > Thanks Try to convert it to PDF and use pdflatex. Especially when the EPS is a bitmap, this saves a lot of space. Uwe -- mail to newsgroup@ziegenhagen.info is read only from time to time. If you need an urgent answer, google for me. Even pdf file is taking alm...

how to do compression of image
Hello, can any one help me in how to compress an image using matlab first by code in m-files second using wavelet toolbox. thanx Hello Talal, May be it is a good idea to search for JPEG200 compression and ".j2c" files. If you want to play with wavelet compression, then you can: - choose a wavelet type; - choose a scheme for wavelet decomposition pyramid; - choose the encoding scheme for subsampled frames within the wavelet decomposition pyramid; - choose the encoding scheme for detail frames within the wavelet decomposition pyramid; - encode/decode some images using your...

image compression....
hello everyone.... i am doing a project on data compression on images....now i am need of a matlab code to implement "huffman coding" ....i need a basic code to implement that , the code need not be related to image processing but a general code..... Thanks in advance.... Hi, search for "huffman coding" in the FEX <http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadCategory.do> J�r�me ...

image compression
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C3A310.F0A4C400 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="big5" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable hi,=20 I have a Cmos sensor (image sensor ), it has RGB output form. i want to compress those data, but i do not know how should i do. Is there anybody can tell me where can find these references? Gilbert, ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C3A310.F0A4C400 Content-Type: text/html; charset="big5" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transiti...

compressed images
Hi Group, I have a question about compressed images. I'm told that printers have a problem reading compressed JPEGs. Some would like all TIFF images. If I don't compress the TIFFs as well, my file can end up being several hundred MBs. So my question is, what is the difference between JPEG and TIFF compression? Any help will be appreciated. Bob On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:59:01 -0700, "Bob" <wildtrout@cox.net> wrote: >Hi Group, >I have a question about compressed images. I'm told that printers have a >problem reading compressed JPEGs. Some would like all TIF...

Image compression....
In honor of Adolph Smith, who mentored me to some extent, I present his example of image compression: http://livelearnloveleave.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/50.PabloPicasso-Femme-DateUnknown.jpg James James Dow Allen wrote: > In honor of Adolph Smith, who mentored me to some extent, > I present his example of image compression: > > http://livelearnloveleave.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/50.PabloPicasso-Femme-DateUnknown.jpg It's a sad reflection on our Facebook culture that my mouse hand twitched towards the (non existent on news) "like" button. T...

Compressed Images
Hi, I have set of dicom Images where they are compressed with my company's properiteray compression .can I have software which can re compress the images and get back to orginal images . Rajanarayana On Oct 23, 1:33 pm, Raja Narayana <Narayanawri...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > I have set of dicom Images where they are compressed with my company's > properiteray compression .can I have software which can re compress > the images and get back to orginal images . > Just FYI, a similar image can be found here: https://clearcanvas-trac.cvsdude.com/sou...

Image Compression
Dear all, I am new in visual c++, and I have a task to create a program image compression using visual c++, do you have any sample source code about it(from bitmap to jpeg or anything else)? Actually My program can load a bitmap image, I want to know how to get the RGB value for each pixel from the image I loaded (I am using 24-bit bitmap), please help me. Thank you very much for your help guyz.. regards, mcloud mamadcloud@gmail.com wrote: > I am new in visual c++, and I have a task to create a program image > compression using visual c++, do you have any sample sourc...

Compressed image
Hai Everybody Can any one tell me where can I find the image for for the below compression JPEG2000Lossless JPEG2000Lossy JPEGLSLossy JPEGLossless14 JPEGExtended Thanks in advance with regard DICOM_TESTER Dear DICOM_TESTER, You can find different types of compressed images in the following link http://www.leadtools.com/SDK/MEDICAL/DICOM/ltdc19.htm Regards Alvin DICOM_TESTER wrote: > Hai Everybody > > Can any one tell me where can I find the image for for the below > compression > > JPEG2000Lossless > JPEG2000Lossy > JPEGLSL...

Image compression
Hi All, I'm looking for Forth code that will decompress/render an image like JPEG, TIFF, PNG, etc. This is for an embedded system without an OS. -Brad Okay, that's a little specialized. I think there is code out there to do LZ77 compression. Can anyone point me to it? On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:42:06 AM UTC-4, Brad Eckert wrote: > Okay, that's a little specialized. I think there is code out there to do LZ77 compression. Can anyone point me to it? Found it. Googled Wil Baden LZ77. ...

Image compression
Hi, We have a application requirement, which is as follows * The desktop needs to be captured and shared over internet. The server used will be IIS. * At least two frames per second needs to captured and transmitted. * A desktop application captures the desktop image and transmits it over the net using http. On the other end, another application queries for the image and displays it. We are capturing the desktop as bitmap image and converting it to either PNG or JPEG format. The converted images (compressed without distorting the image too much) typically range from 70 to 100 K...

ghostscript questions: JBIG2 compression, embed control, image compression control
Three quick questions about current ghostscript. 1. I see libjbig2dec.so linked in my linux version of 8.64. Is there a way to specify jbig2 compression for bw images, or is it only for decoding? The options that I know of for monochrome are only CCITT Group 4, RLE, and ZIP. 2. In the PDF Creator interface the control of font embedding consists of checkboxes for embed, subset, and a numeric limit for subset (defaults to <100%) and these presumably correspond 1:1 with gs parameters. The ps2pdf options documentation here http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/cvs/Ps2pdf.htm#Op...