Peculiar behavior of linux(Linux 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL) tar when moved to xp

I have a cvs repository on linux that I'm moving to xp.  When I tar up
the files with tar -cvf they seem to be fine.  If I do a -tvf on the
tar it likewise appears as I would expect it to.

When I view the tar file using Winzip or larc a few of the files in the
tar seem to have been renamed.  These files are mostly java files or
xml but the file type doesn't seem to matter.  The names change from
"filename.java,v" to "filename.java,v0000444".  This is consistent
though the selection of the files that seem to be renamed is apparently
random.  Has anyone seen anything like this.  I've checked a couple of
other CM related boards first and no-one has seen anything like this.
This is causing me problems during the import phase of the procedure.
The number 0000444 likewise is consistently the string that is appended
to the filename.

Thanks,

gj

0
gj2666 (1)
11/17/2006 5:18:39 PM
comp.compression 4696 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 2006-11-17, gretjns <gj2666@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "filename.java,v" to "filename.java,v0000444".  This is consistent
> though the selection of the files that seem to be renamed is apparently
> random.

From this it seems that winzip appends the protection flags to the
name of any file that has "peculiar" protections.
(In Unix 0444 is r--r--r, i.e. read only. And RCS files (*,v) have
 this protection..)

I don't know what to do about this, except that get a "genuine" tar
and don't use winzip..

-Pasi
--
"When all is said and done, I care less about these creatures than I
 do about the trees in this forest or the stars overhead. I'd rather

Pasi Ojala wrote:
> On 2006-11-17, gretjns <gj2666@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > "filename.java,v" to "filename.java,v0000444".  This is consistent
> > though the selection of the files that seem to be renamed is apparently
> > random.
>
> From this it seems that winzip appends the protection flags to the
> name of any file that has "peculiar" protections.
> (In Unix 0444 is r--r--r, i.e. read only. And RCS files (*,v) have
>  this protection..)
>
> I don't know what to do about this, except that get a "genuine" tar
> and don't use winzip..
>
> -Pasi
> --
> "When all is said and done, I care less about these creatures than I
>  do about the trees in this forest or the stars overhead. I'd rather
>  study the currents of wind or the patterns in the falling leaves.
>  But we mustn't be hasty."	-- Gabrielle in "The Vampire Lestat"

0
gretjns