Re: I need to compress a file of 15 Gb

If the tape drive's own hardware compression doesn't work you could try using (win)rar. They claim WinRAR supports files and archives up to 8,589 billion gigabytes in size...

Regards,
Werner

http://www.maximumcompression.com/
0
Fulcrum
7/4/2003 3:59:12 PM
comp.compression 4696 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

I need to compress a file of 15 Gb
Every day I make a export of our database. This export is 15 Gb big. Then I copy this file to tape. To make the file smaller I want to compress it, before I copy it to tape. Unfortunaly with the compress tool I have I get an error because the file is far too big. I use winzip. I work with a windows platform My question: does anyone have good suggestions for my problem? Lambik: >Every day I make a export of our database. This export is 15 Gb big. >Then I copy this file to tape. >To make the file smaller I want to compress it, before I copy it to >tape. >Unfortunaly with the c...

Compressing compressed files?
I have a really crazy idea: Supposing you took a compressed file (any format) and pass it to a bijective decompressor,In principle the data should become less random. After that you can recompress the data with a superior algorithm. My reasoning is as follows: The set of input data for most general purpose compression algorithms tends to overlap. Within a certain margin , the set of compressed files overlaps too. I tried this out on a couple of files with David Scott's BICOM but I didn't get any positive result. My idea was that since PPMII does 40 - 50 % better than ZIP and there ...

Further compress a already compressed file
Dear all, My question is, can a compressed file be further compressed by the same compression algorithm or other compresssion algorithm? Why or Why not? My experimental result is. Yes, it can be further compressed by a considerably amount. (sometimes 50%) Is that theoratically possible? This is against the impression I used to have. Can some one kindly answer my question or give me some reference. Thanks, - detailed description ------------------------------------- compression library : LZO my data set : binary data. I have a program that uses lzo library to com...

Re: Re. Error in reading compressed file
Elvira, Using a pipe to run winzip can be used, I think, for uncompressing any kind of file -- but definitely a csv file (although yours has that extension is not really a comma separated file as I recall it is separated with semi- colons). Take a look at the example at: http://support.sas.com/kb/26/011.html Let us know if you still need to know how to re-write any of the files (i.e., deleting an extra line). Art ------- On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 12:02:52 +0100, Elvira Sojli <ESojli@RSM.NL> wrote: >Dear Art and Tom, > > > >Thanks again for the quick repl...

For Compression Gurus: Need help on compressing intervals
I have a set of intervals, each of equal size that can overlap. Lets assume we are working on the integer line. So we have, (a_1, a_1 + k) (a_2, a_2 + k) ... (a_n, a_n + k) ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- From each interval I want to pick up one number so that the resulting numbers can be compressed very well (Say using Huffman coding or Arithmetic coding). (This is an optimization problem in some sense, what should be picked up so that the resulting compression is best). Can someone tell me how to solve this problem, or give me pointers to work on this topic? If you are a coder, woul...

Image compression code to compress JPEG file
hi, currently a scanned document in JPEG format is occupying around 350KB space. I need a compression code which reduces disk space from 350KB to around 50KB. code may be in VB6 (preferrably). please help me out. its pretty urgent. shwetha Hi, > currently a scanned document in JPEG format is occupying around 350KB > space. I need a compression code which reduces disk space from 350KB > to around 50KB. code may be in VB6 (preferrably). please help me out. > its pretty urgent. If this document is a black and white "line art" type writer document, then I afraid you'...

first time successfull? compressing compressed files
The current version of Adobe Reader 6 installation, which is around 9 MB, installs in two phases. First is performed by Netopsys's FEAD code, which "recomposes" the installation files to the state we're used to (executables+big cab) http://www.google.com/search?q=FEAD+Optimizer Resulting codes and cab together are more than twice bigger than the installation single EXE (*1) I analyzed the CABs and found that the biggest EXE appears twice, removed it and repacked it. If I'd pack to the same CAB even all the remaining executables, everything packed together (CAB files us...

Compression Algorithm and code for text and audio compression needed
Hi ! Can any one help me out with huffmans adaptive code for text compression code for my project. and also i need to know audio compression algorithms can i use huffmans and lzw or lzs for it and if yes where can i find the code for it. Alien wrote: > Hi ! > Can any one help me out with huffmans adaptive code for text > compression code for my project. and also i need to know audio > compression algorithms can i use huffmans and lzw or lzs for it and if > yes where can i find the code for it. Audio compression is generally lossy. You can listen to some examples of compresse...

Re: Compressing backup file
On 5 May 2006 at 11:39, Kevin Handy wrote: > I am looking at creating a backup file, then compressing > it, copying it to a PC, and burning it to a CD. Why not use DECnet to back the machine across DECnet to a Linux box? ZIP the saveset there, and burn... DECnet for Linux is at: http://linux-decnet.sourceforge.net/ Works like a champ. And the price is right! --Stan Quayle Quayle Consulting Inc. ---------- Stanley F. Quayle, P.E. N8SQ Toll free: 1-888-I-LUV-VAX 8572 North Spring Ct., Pickerington, OH 43147 USA stan-at-stanq-dot-com http://www.stanq.com/charon-vax.html "...

Re: Compressing files and FTP
"Tony Summers" wrote in part: >Anybody any thoughts on the best way to compress a >variable record length file from a Cobol program >prior to transmitting it via FTP ? Sure, but there are plenty of questions. What is the target platform? That will likely constrain your list of choices. You will need a compression scheme available on both sides of this ftp. LZW is available on various platforms; I've used it on NT. STD may be a good choice if the target is another 3000. You go on to mention bytestream, which makes me suspect that you are going to someone else'...

compress utility != Compress::Zlib::compress() on linux and Windows
For some reason when the compress utility is used to create a .Z file, the result is not recognized by the Compress::Zlib uncompress() function (on either Linux or Windows). And it turns out that Compress::Zlib::compress() produces a _different_ .Z file. Editing the two seems to show that the contents are the same after a certain point and thus the headers differ. DOH! I am running with perl v5.8.6, in which Compress::Zlib v1.33 is bundled. (v1.34 was released in 2005-01; but I doubt if 1.33 is drastically out of date.) Can anyone shed some light on this? If so, you'll be doing better ...

To Compress or Not To Compress -- That is the Question !
Hi: I'm running a website (I have three sites on my older Dell -- Pentium 4 with 2GB of Memory and a 350Gig Harddrive) with an xHarbour .exe as the CGI 'script'. If I have many simultaneous clients, is there a significant benefit or penalty to compressing the .exe ? Currently, one of the compressed executables is 486,400 bytes. Uncompressed, it is 1,076,224 bytes. I welcome your opinions. Thanks. -Mel Smith -- Mel Smith Mel, In case of your setup IMHO the compressed .exe has no advantages, the decompressing operation ( aka UnZip ) - eats the serv...

yes, it is possible to compress previously compressed files/messages,
I am the person that scares those "ostriches" with their head in the sand, those 'scientists' (here I am using that term loosely,) that assert that compression of random data is impossible. That's not to say that I have handled things in a most optimum manner either -- I've made lot's of mistakes too. But as to the question itself, "is it possible to compress previously compressed files/messages," and then, using the smaller output file, to compress that file, so that the original client file, perhaps many GB's in size, can be represented in only, ...

compressing compressed video
Is it possible to noticeably compress already compressed video (DivX/MPEG) even futher using a loseless compression program? Which programs offer the highest compression radios in this case? copx copx wrote: > Is it possible to noticeably compress already compressed video (DivX/MPEG) > even futher using a loseless compression program? Yes, but not by much if at all. The most lossless compression I have seen of an .AVI occured because the PCM audio was uncompressed. The only .AVIs you'll see major compression occur is when there is so much redundant information in a frame or ...

Re: Video Compression Players Should "Compress" Hype
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC0601/S00026.htm I continue watch Qbit, and as expected, they are thrown in with the 'hype' gang. Frank People from Pixe have updated their website. Should we expect samples soon? http://www.pixe.com.au/ frnkblk wrote: > http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC0601/S00026.htm > > I continue watch Qbit, and as expected, they are thrown in with the > 'hype' gang. > > Frank Looks like the Washington DC Technology Council thinks Qbit is real! ================== <snip> * Qbit, LLC -- Provides enabling technologies for pa...

Re: Compressing files and FTP #6
Tony Summers wrote: > ... but I was hoping that there was some way >of directly invoking the compressing from our Cobol programs - i.e. some >sort of system instrinsic call I could make. The compression routines of zip/unzip (google: InfoZIP) are also available as library (www.zlib.org) that also builds on MPE/iX. Not sure, however, if the API is convenient for calling from COBOL or if a command file or script is easier to use. Lars. * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Reading compressed unix files
Jaggie, First off I am assuming you are on a linux system reading a tar file made on a linux system and the files stored in the tar archives are some kind of flat text files. None of this may hold but it may help you understand where I am coming from with the rest of this post. Hopefully it will at the very least help get you moving in the right direction. I would first recommend that you first check out the tar doc at http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_mono/tar.html#SEC48 As to reading multiple files I think you can find a solution by using some code like Richard posted to retriev...

Re: Compressing backup file #5
From: "Tom Linden" <tom@kednos.com> > Well, when I tried it on a large file it ground away for quite some time > and then > emitted an error message that the uncompressed file was larger than 4GB. First, as usual, it would be helpful to see the command used, data on the file(s) being processed, and the actual error message emitted. > Now > why wouldn't it first ascertain the file size before attempting to > compress? Possibly because when it was written, there were no files larger than the C RTL functions then available could handle. Supp...

Re: Compressing files and FTP #3
Lars Appel wrote: > An alternative to zip might be using tar with -cvzf options. This > combines tar and compress in one step. And tar (unlike zip) comes > with MPE/iX FOS. If your ftp is between two MPE systems, this will > also attempt to preserve MPE file attributes, I believe. does mpe tar have the same 4gb limitation as on unix systems? - d -- Donna Garverick Sr. System Programmer 925-210-6631 dgarverick@longs.com Come, my friends, 'Tis not too late to seek a newer world. Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho' We are not now that s...

Re: Compressing wmv/avi files
Hi, Narasimha, I don't see that you got a response to this. I don't know of a way in = SAS, but in Windows XP you can right-click on the file and then do a = send-to compressed zipped folder. To uncompress it click on the = compressed folder and do file-extract all. =20 -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: Narasimha Rao M=20 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=20 Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 1:29 PM Subject: Compressing wmv/avi files Hi All, I am currently trying to compress size of media files. Is there any = way to reduce size of a .wmv or .avi file from sa...

Re: Compressing files and FTP #5
Donna Garverick wrote: >does mpe tar have the same 4gb limitation as on unix systems? No, I guess it doesn't. It cannot even get beyond 2 GB ;-) * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Compressing backup file #4
----- Original Message ----- From: "Hoff Hoffman" <hoff-remove-this@hp.com> To: <Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com> Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:36 PM Subject: Re: Compressing backup file > Steven M. Schweda wrote: >> From: "Tom Linden" <tom@kednos.com> > >>> Is DVD supported as output device for backup on 8.3? >> >> Directly? I doubt it. > > The CD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW recording capabilities that are present > within V8.3 require the generation of a master, or the use of a file > containing a disk image. The ...

Re: Compressing files and FTP #4
Thanks Greg for the useful comments. The target platform is initially another HP3K, but eventually will mostly likely become an HP-UX server once we start to migrate our systems. Yes, FTP is called from our cobol programs, but all we've done is package up a call to the HP3K's FTP client inside a general subroutine which creates the necessary scripts for us. I could do the same for the compression routine - calling whatever I needed via a subroutine of our creation, but I was hoping that there was some way of directly invoking the compressing from our Cobol programs - i.e....

Re. Error in reading compressed file
Dear Art and Tom, =20 Thanks again for the quick replies. I have spent the morning going through different things, trying to locate the problem more specifically.=20 =20 1. So like Art I created a dummy file using the first lines of my problematic csv's and zipped with WINZIP (this is essential for saszipam to work). I can unzip and read the file without a problem. The problem reoccurs when the file is very long. The SAS error messages are below, for the file that works and the one that doesn't.=20 2. When I unzip the file and run the code, I can read the CSV witho...

Web resources about - Re: I need to compress a file of 15 Gb - comp.compression

compress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Compress is a Unix shell compression program based on the LZC compression method, which is an LZW implementation using variable size pointers ...

Data Compress: Saves you money on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Data Compress: Saves you money. Download Data Compress: Saves you ...

Time to compress our thinking about the NBN
Are we really the smart country? Or are we just dumb jerks lucky enough to occupy a hunk of rock whose geographic isolation makes us astonishingly ...

FileOptimizer can compress 33 different formats
Recently we took a look at PNGGauntlet , an excellent tool which could compress PNG files by up to 50 percent without any apparent loss of quality. ...

Compress data more densely with Zopfli
By Lode Vandevenne, Software Engineer, Compression Team Cross-posted with the Google Open Source Blog The Zopfli Compression Algorithm is a ...

Compress A Bunch Of Files Into One Zip Archive For Easier Sharing
I remember back in the olden, pre-OS X days, when you’d need to use a utility like Stuffit to compress a bunch of files together into one archive, ...

All the ghostly sounds that are lost when you compress to mp3
A song made with only the sounds that were left out when compressing Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner" to mp3.

Google Chrome for Android, iOS Now Compress Data for Users
Data compression, which will reduce data usage and save money for mobile users, is one of several new features in the latest Chrome browser updates ...

NKE Sales, Multiple to Compress, Analyst Says
Citing an inventory build and other factors, consumer analyst Camilo Lyon believes a sales slowdown may occur at Nike (NKE)

Opera is teasing Max app to compress all your mobile pics and videos
Opera is getting ready to release its mobile data compression app Max to a wider audience: The browser maker opened up preregistration for a ...