What is the best way, via the internet, to access a remote Microsoft Access
database? I was thinking of using VPN, but I thought that I would check here
to see if there is a better way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

1
Ernest
5/31/2004 7:02:33 PM
comp.database.ms-access 1111 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Do you mean remotely controlling an Access database, or linking tables over
the internet? The first is doable, the second is a recipe for disaster.

Remote Control:
If your remote OS is Windows XP, you can use Remote Desktop (although only 1
person can access the PC at a time; this will change in the upcoming Service
Pack for XP, but that may not help you now). Otherwise, GoToMyPC offers
similar services, as does Terminal Server (a component of a Windows Server
machine), PCAnywhere, et al.

Linking to remote tables:
You will almost certainly encounter severe problems with corruption, and
your performance will almost certainly be so poor as to be unworkable. I
attempted this once, with a web server in Canada and my machine in Augusta,
GA. Even tiny data requests on a very well optimized data structure took
waaaay too long to process ... it's simply not workable, IMO.

Other alternatives would be covert the app to a web-based and place your
data on a web server. Access/Jet isn't really designed for those workloads,
but running a small site with minimal transactions and users can be done.
Otherwsie, consider switching to a more robust data platform like MySQL, SQL
Server, etc.
--
Scott McDaniel
CS Computer Software

"Smash forehead on keyboard to continue ... "

"Ernest" <leucoplast@seanet.NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> What is the best way, via the internet, to access a remote Microsoft
Access
> database? I was thinking of using VPN, but I thought that I would check
here
> to see if there is a better way.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

-1
Scott
6/2/2004 12:06:05 PM
"Scott McDaniel" <scott@no.spam.thedatabaseplace.net> wrote in message
> Do you mean remotely controlling an Access database, or linking tables
over
> the internet? The first is doable, the second is a recipe for disaster.

The database is in Washington D.C., but the people who would be viewing and
editing the database are scattered all over the US. There are 5 users, but
there would be only two people using the database at the same time.

> Linking to remote tables:
> You will almost certainly encounter severe problems with corruption, and
> your performance will almost certainly be so poor as to be unworkable. I
> attempted this once, with a web server in Canada and my machine in
Augusta,
> GA. Even tiny data requests on a very well optimized data structure took
> waaaay too long to process ... it's simply not workable, IMO.
>
> Other alternatives would be covert the app to a web-based and place your
> data on a web server. Access/Jet isn't really designed for those
workloads,
> but running a small site with minimal transactions and users can be done.
> Otherwsie, consider switching to a more robust data platform like MySQL,
SQL
> Server, etc.

That is exactly what I was thinking also. I would rather use MySQL with a
web interface. The problem is the development cost. The company is a
children's non-profit start-up, so the budget is very tight. I will suggest
allowing me to bill a small number of hours for the development, but in the
mean time, Access is where all of their current client information is
stored -as one giant table. Ugh. They have just hired two new sales reps who
will need to view and edit the database from remote locations, as soon as
possible.

Thanks.

1
Ernest

access to MS Access password-protected database?
Can anyone direct me towards a code snippet showing how to use Python to insert data into a password-protected MS Access database? My google searches have been uninformative for dbs that are password-protected. Thanks, Ken On Feb 11, 10:43=A0am, Ken McDonald <kmmcdon...@medicine.wisc.edu> wrote: > Can anyone direct me towards a code snippet showing how to use Python =A0 > to insert data into a password-protected MS Access database? My google = =A0 > searches have been uninformative for dbs that are password-protected. > > Thanks, > Ken You post is a little vague...

This is the code that I found on the internet for accessing an ms access database: import java.sql.*; class Test { public static void main(String[] args) { try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); // set this to a MS Access DB you have on your machine String filename = "d:/java/mdbTEST.mdb"; String database = "jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ="; database+= filename.trim() + ";DriverID=22;READONLY=true}"; // add on to the end ...

I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how can i make client access database located on the server? "HeMan_Speaks" <Lunar20092010@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d71ce567-0434-48b8-b1d2-bb191706ab45@w8g2000prd.googlegroups.com... >I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how > can i make client access database located on the server? I think you're going to have to expand a little bit more in your question here, as is not 100% quite clear what you're trying to do. You might want to make a little bit of a d...

Hi! Is there a MATLAB command which gives access to a .mdb MS Access database or do I need a special driver? Thanks, Andree Hi Andree Ellert, you can use activeXcontrol to interact with MS-Access database. access = actxserver('Access.Application'); returns the handle for Access. set(access, 'Visible', 1); will show the opened Access window. use get(access) and set(access) commands to find the methods available to call. -Vadivelu M =========== http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/database/datatool.shtml "Andree Ellert" <ellert@gmx.net////...

Any MS Access that is NOT MS Access in WinXP?
Hi all, I have a small application for bookkeeping, actually working in Access with small routines in VBA. I want to rewrite it in Java, but I don't want to use Access anymore. I started looking for another database, but I found none. I already know (and used) MySQL and PostgreSQL (waiting 7.4), but as far as I know they are only daemon, and under windows they use a lot of memory and CPU time. It's like installing a Ferrari only to cross the road. Maybe an approach with loading the daemon at the start of the program, and quitting it at the end, but I don't know how ...

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); --------...

Redhat Apache to access MS-Access Database through PHP
Hi, I am wondering if anyone knows how to make this work. I have Redhat Liux ES v2.1 Server Apache 1.3 PHP 4.0 a MS-Access MDB file (just the file, already created) The MS-Access file is already in the Redhat Linux server. Is there a way I can make Apache & PHP to access this MS-Access MDB file? Thank you. ...

I have a Database that I am trying to run on a new vista computer. Up to now I was running it on a win 98 computer and using access 2003! I installed access 2003 and I can make it run and view the data but I can not save any new records. Has any one seen this problem yet? Thanks Clarence Wollman On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:17:13 -0700, cwoll <clarencewollman@gmail.com> wrote: Do you have the same problem with the Northwind sample application? (search your computer for northwind.mdb) -Tom. >I have a Database that I am trying to run on a new vista computer. Up >to now I was running...

Wanted
I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database that is part of another package. I only want to report from the database. What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access database through an ODBC driver. Does anyone know what packages available? It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I was reading. Please provide...

How to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL Database from JSP on Linux?
I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and Linux. I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to configure. Do anyone can give me a solution? Thanks Vincent ...

To enter and access database of MS access or any DBMS usibg C.
hello people, Can any body give me the code or the basic logic to enter and also access data from a Database management system using C?...also tell me the actuall syntax to run an .exe file using C along with the headers to be included.I want to do it in Windows environment only....using turboC In article <1134648270.423831.13110@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Sree <gisripa@gmail.com> wrote: >hello people, > Can any body give me the code or the basic logic to >enter and also access data from a Database management system using >C?.....

Can anybody give me some code that I can put in to my VB6 app to open a passworded Access database in the Crystal Reports 8.5 RDC? I see so many examples - none of which seem to work for me. I am using a native connection in Crystal ( pdbdao.dll). My current code is : Dim Report As New crPrintPreview Dim crTable As CRAXDRT.DatabaseTable Private Sub Form_Load() Set crTable = Report.Database.Tables.Item(1) varpath = CurDir crTable.Location = varpath & "\OrderManager.mdb" CRViewer1.ReportSource = Report CRViewer1.ViewReport End Sub All I receive is the message "Error o...

Hi, I have an application with MS-Access as backend and JSP/ tomcat as frontend/webserver. For getting better response time(as access is very slow compared to other RDBMS's), I have split the main DB into two DB's on different disks on my server for better performance.I have kept the table names same but changed the DB names. How do I access tables from both the DB's? This is what I have done; I made different connection to the respective DB's i.e. con and con2. When I want to access data, I am using 2 result sets for retriving data from the tables, but getting no re...

multiple users' simultaneous access to a MS Access database
When my end user clicks on the icon for her MS Access database (the icon is on her Novell NAL menu) she is successful in opening the database. However, when another staff member is using the database she receives the message that someone is using it and she cannot access it at that time. Any suggestions as to what I need to do to resolve this? I guess it would be a fix to allow multiple users simultaneous access to a MS Access database? Thanks in advance, Zuf Per zufie: >When my end user clicks on the icon for her MS Access database (the >icon is on her Novell NAL menu...

HXTT Access v1.0 Released for MS Access database
HXTT Access provides a type 4 JDBC driver for Table, System Table, View(Query), and Linked Table of Microsoft Access (MS Access) version from 2.0, 95, 97, 2000, XP, 2002, to 2003. It supports JDBC1.2, JDBC2.0, and JDBC3.0. It supports Personal Java, JDK1.0.X, JDK1.1.X, JDK1.2.X, JDK1.3.X, JDK1.4.X and JDK1.5.X. It supports JBuilder's Database Pilot, Oracle's JVM, JDeveloper 10G, Dreamweaver UltraDev, Dreamweaver ColdFusion, ObJectRelationalBridge, DBVisualizer, Sunopsis, MySQL Migration Toolkit, Tomcat, vqServer, Hibernate, SQuirreL SQL Client, and DbEdit Database Utilites for Eclipse Platform. It supports transaction, XOPEN SQLState, RMI, Jini, JNDI, and serialization. It supports { UNION | INTERSECT | EXCEPT | MINUS } [ ALL ] query , INNER JOIN, FULL JOIN, LEFT JOIN, RIGHT JOIN, NATURAL JOIN, CROSS JOIN, self join, and subquery which includes single-row subquery, multirow subquery, multiple-column subquery, inline views, and correlated subquery. The current version of the HXTT Access packages are available at http://www.hxtt.net/en/software/download.jsp?product=Access . ...

Best way to connect MS Access 2007 to Oracle 8 database?
I am new to Oracle. I need to connect to a Oracle 8 database to extract some data. I have read some of the postings and wonder what is the least involved way to connect the two. Is the Oracle OLE driver (not OLEDB) good? I would prefer not install the Oracle client if I don't have to. All I need to do is ,once a day, connect to Oracle, run a passthru query and disconnect. Any thoughts??? Thanks, TD TD wrote: > I am new to Oracle. I need to connect to a Oracle 8 database to > extract some data. I have read some of the postings and wonder what > is the least involved way to connect the two. Is the Oracle OLE > driver (not OLEDB) good? > I would prefer not install the Oracle client if I don't have to. All > I need to do is ,once a day, connect to Oracle, run a passthru query > and disconnect. > > Any thoughts??? > Thanks, > TD Install the Oracle client. Nothing about what you are trying to do is good. Oracle 8 is paleolithic and likely the version of MS Access you are trying to use didn't exist when Oracle 8 did. This is all a remarkably bad idea. What is it you think you are going to do in Access you couldn't do inside the database other than corrupt the data? -- Daniel A. Morgan Oracle Ace Director & Instructor University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org On Dec 20, 9:03 am, DA Morgan <da...

Possible to access MS Access 2007 password-protected database from Python?
Googling has shown me various ways of connecting to a non-password- protected Access database, but I was wondering if someone could point to code illustrating how to use an Access db that's password- protected. I haven't been able to find anything on this. Thanks, Ken ...

Can anybody give me some code that I can put in to my VB6 app to open a passworded Access database in the Crystal Reports 8.5 RDC? I see so many examples - none of which seem to work for me. I am using a native connection in Crystal ( pdbdao.dll). My current code is : Dim Report As New crPrintPreview Dim crTable As CRAXDRT.DatabaseTable Private Sub Form_Load() Set crTable = Report.Database.Tables.Item(1) varpath = CurDir crTable.Location = varpath & "\OrderManager.mdb" CRViewer1.ReportSource = Report CRViewer1.ViewReport End Sub All I receive is the message "Error o...

Remote access to a ms-access db
Hello On my webserver I' ve got a ms-access database running. Now I would like to establish a remote access to this database, like the same I know in mysql. Are there any possibilities via ODBC-driver and over HTTP-Protokoll to access onto a ms-access db? Thanks a lot. Cheers - Hans Investigate connecting to an Access database using ASP (active server pages) and ADO. ...

Web resources about - Best way to access a remote MS ACCESS database - comp.database.ms-access

Oracle: Fear Not, ’12c’ Database Nearing Its Breakout, Says Credit Suisse
... from cloud computing applications in 2016, along with the adoption by customers of the its “ 12c ” version of its flagship relational database ...

Enterprises want to run databases in containers
More than three out of four IT decision makers are interested in running stateful applications like databases within containers, according to ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...

Blinkbox Music's user database was just sold to... JD Sports
Of Tesco's three ailing digital Blinkbox services, its e-book store appeared to be the only one that would go gently into that good night. Eventually, ...