function to isolate the e-mail host from an e-mail name

Hi. Sorry if this is an old question, but....

i have a table that includes an e-mail address

in a query, i would like to create two columns with expressions for
the hostname and the username.

what function(s) would i use to split the e-mail address to what comes
before the @ and what comes after?

thanks,

Larry
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
0
bender
2/9/2004 10:00:02 PM
comp.database.ms-access 1111 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Try Instr() to find location of the @ symbol in the email address, then
Left() and Right() to extract the text
eg.

Assuming @ will always exist.....

username = Left([myEmail], InStr("@", [myEmail])-1)
hostname = Right([myEmail], Len([myEmail]) - Instr("@", [myEmail])

Or something like that! :)
--
Bradley
Software Developer www.hrsystems.com.au

"bender" <larry@netgeexdotcom> wrote in message
> Hi. Sorry if this is an old question, but....
>
> i have a table that includes an e-mail address
>
> in a query, i would like to create two columns with expressions for
> the hostname and the username.
>
> what function(s) would i use to split the e-mail address to what comes
> before the @ and what comes after?
>
> thanks,
>
> Larry
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

0
Bradley

E-mail recusado
AVISO GERADO AUTOMATICAMENTE WARNING GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY ________________________________________________________________ E-mail com anexos executaveis sao descartados pelo nosso servidor. Se quiser, compacte o arquivo e envie novamente. Maiores detalhes: http://infonib.nib.unicamp.br/aviso-virus.html ________________________________________________________________ E-mail with executables atachments are not allowed in our servers. with you want to send the e-mail, compress it and send it again More details: http://infonib.nib.unicamp.br/virus-warning.html *---------------------------...

[blockmail] E-mail bloqueado
O e-mail abaixo indicado foi bloqueado por este servidor, pois cont�m um anexo execut�vel. Arquivos execut�veis s�o potencialmente perigosos por constituir meio de propaga��o de v�rus e worms de e-mail. The following e-mail was blocked by this server because it contains an executable attachment. Executable files are potentially dangerous, as they are used for e-mail virus and worms propagation. Mail headers: Date : Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:27:30 -0300 Subject : Mail Delivery failure (gabicr@grad.icmc.usp.br) From : python-list@python.org Return-Path: <python-list@pytho...

Send e-mail from AIX to external e-mail address
I would like to be able to e-mail a log file from my AIX server to an external e-mail address. I'm using the mail command and it works fine if i send a e-mail to someone on the company's exchange server, but if I try to send an e-mail to someone outside the company it says host unknown. Is there something I need to set-up to make this work? I have a similar system set-up on my NT server where I am using the open source program sendemail. It works fine and it is easy to use. It is just an executable and you can add parameters like the name of our mail relay server. Can I get a sim...

Sending e-mail with attachments with the default e-mail client
Hello. I need to send e-mails with attachments under W2K using the default e-mail client. I'd like to open the e-mail aplication with the attachment to allow the user to chose the recipients. I got it working using the mailto mechanism but only for Outlook. Anybody has an idea of how to do this to work with all the e-mail clients? Thanks in advance. ...

E-MAIL PROCESSING COMPANY seeking E-MAIL PROCESSORS
E-MAIL PROCESSING COMPANY seeking E-MAIL PROCESSORS immediately to sustain EXPLOSIVE GROWTH!! Earn �1,000-�5,000 per month (Part-time) or �5,000-�10,000 (Full-time). FREE Start-Up! Not MLM. No experience necessary! SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY please! For full details, e-mail us now: "mail to: homeworkers_dream@hotmail.com with Subject Line = "SHOW ME" ...

Device that has internet, e-mail, & e-mail attachments
I have a client who asked me to find a "Palm Pilot" like device (basically any device that's roughly the size of a palm pilot) that would allow him to wirelessly surf the internet, access his e-mail, as well as open e-mail attachments, especially Word, Excel, and PDF. Does anything like this exist? Any suggestions are highly appreciated, Harry -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- Tungsten T3, Sony UX-50, Blackberry and ...

Sending e-mail to and receiving e-mail into Acucobol programs
I develop accounting software for timeshare resorts, membership campgrounds and comdominiums using Acucobol. These properties would like for their owners/members to be able to view their charge/payment histories on-line and, if desired, make a payment. There will be identical files on the Server and Client side and they will have to stay in sync. The way I would like to do this is to send e-mails to and from the server/client when a person's account is changed, either by a charge or payment. I would welcome any ideas/help along these lines. Thank you. Keith On 12 Aug 2003 09:55:36 -0700, ...

Opening a Draft E-mail or an e-mail in edit mode.
I was prompted to think about this by a couple of MLH's recent posts. Whether this is what he !!!!really!!!! wanted, I don't know. This code is supposed to open an e-mail in edit mode, although I have called it "draft". It's pretty simple. It just creates an .eml file, in eml format, and then calls ShellExecute to open the file (I tried Application.FollowHyperlink first; that works but results in two warning messages on my machine.) Some e-mail programs when set as the default will also make themselves the default opener of .eml files so on my machine this opens in Thund...

E-mail Virus Alert!
"A deadly new computer virus that is spreading rapidly by e-mail has already caused massive damage to thousands of unprotected computers worldwide. The virus is rumored to be the deadly brainchild of renegade microbiology scientists, who have figured out how to cross the barrier from the digital world to the analog, and create a real biological virus on the victim's computer. For an actual photo of a ravaged computer, and further details on this frightening new virus, visit http://www.robotsrule.com/ ". -- sec.alert. RMFLMAO, NOT! Come on, lets see a GOOD 04/01/04 joke pl...

Group e-mail from Access database??
I have an Access Database of about 400 records, most records have a character field with an e-mail address for the person in that record. How can I use these addresses to create a group mailing to all these people via Outlook Express, or Outlook 2002?? Tom Tom, If you searched the group first you wouldn't need to post this! There are a number of long threads which have links to other websites (MVP's) which will cover this post. David tomsocal@yahoo.com (TomSoCal) wrote: >I have an Access Database of about 400 records, most records have a >character field with an e-mail add...

Looking for an e-mail app that can send e-mail in html format
A friend of mind wants me to send e-mail to him in html format. Are there any e-mail apps that can do this? -- Regards Brian In article <1146085981391782115.254092bclark-es.co.nz@free.teranews.com>, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote: > A friend of mind wants me to send e-mail to him in html format. Are there > any e-mail apps that can do this? Almost all of them, but there really isn't any need to do so. Keep sending mail in plain ASCII. -- All usenet users are quirky, but some are more quirky than others. Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org&...

Can you e-mail a report to an e-mail address stored in a Hyperlink field?
I think the question speaks for itself, but just to elaborate... I would like to e-mail a report to one or more e-mail addresses that are stored in a Hyperlink field of an Access table. Basically, merge a report to a set of e-mail addresses and have it sent automatically. Is this possible in Access 2000? If so, how? I want this to run automatically with no user input. Thanks in advance!!! Yes you can, but you will have to use VB, have you done this before? --- Please immediately let us know (by phone or return email) if (a) this email contains a virus (b) you are not the intended rec...

FM 7.0 Problem about sending e-mails to all e-mail addresses of my records
Hello, a problem in FM 7.0. In FM 6.0 I regularily sent an e-mail to all e-mail addresses of my records. I had a script to do this. Now in FM 7.0 the script does not longer work! It sends an e-mail tot 1 record! What has happened? Thanks Manchicourt <manchicourtNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hello, a problem in FM 7.0. > > In FM 6.0 I regularily sent an e-mail to all e-mail addresses of my > records. I had a script to do this. > Now in FM 7.0 the script does not longer work! > It sends an e-mail tot 1 record! > What has happened? > > Thanks Publish your ...

Macro that e-mails one report using a different query for each rep/e-mail
I have created a database that brings in a new table weekly. I then made a separate query for each sales rep and a separate report for each rep. (The reports are all identical but call different queries.) Lastly, I created a macro that sends the reports to the respective rep via e-mail with the push of a button. I am pleased with myself for getting this far but I realize the next step is figure out how to use one report (so I don't have to change 10 when I need to make changes)that calls the different queries. I would be happy if the macro had ten lines in it that call the report, each...

Treo 600 writing e-mail, welcome screen pops up, e-mail is lost
I have had this happen several times now and am not sure what is wrong. For the past week or so I have been using my Treo and sometimes when I am writing a new email it will just randomly go back to the welcome screen and then when I go back my draft that I was composing is deleted or gone. Does anybody know what causes the welcome screen to pop up or better yet how to make sure that the e-mail I am writing does not get lost. Thanks. alphanode wrote: > I have had this happen several times now and am not sure what is > wrong. For the past week or so I have been using my T...

Yet another Mass e-mail worm TM - Gibe-F/Swen-A
Nice Icon Nice GUI Asks you to fill in all your mail-server details, pretty nifty peice of code. More info here: http://www.security-forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8447 -- Get your Geek Goodies! http://shop.security-forums.com ..: http://www.security-forums.com :. Share your knowledge It's a way to achieve Immortality. Yes, Got one too. Looks almost genuine (except for the fact microsoft never sends out patches). I wonder what the 'patch' does? Regards, Ron AF Greve "Lord Shaolin" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote...

Decode this e-mail header (Apple e-mail server mac.com used to send virus link)
This material originally comes from a post made recently in can.internet.highspeed. Seems that someone was following a link in Craigslist and came across a suspect URL that was communicated via private e-mail: ----------------- Please verify this website - I could not open the "file" on separate windows machines after scanning for virii. The URL was confirmed by email. hxxp://www.multiscan.ca/warehouse_price.exe If there is a price list (as expected), please post the answer here. The original posting appeared on Craigslist under Computers (sale). If you wa...

function(s) to split an e-mail address into user and host
Hi. Sorry if this is an old question, but.... i have a table that includes an e-mail address in a query, i would like to create two columns with expressions for the hostname and the username. what function(s) would i use to split the e-mail address to what comes before the @ and what comes after? thanks, Larry - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown." UserName = Left([EmailAddress],InStr([EmailAddress],"@")-1)) HostName = Mid([EmailAddress],Len([UserName])+1) -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For ...

Capturing e-mail messages from Novell Groupwise in Access database
Hello everyone-- I'm trying to develop a help desk system to replace Trak-It. We have a help desk e-mail address and want all messages sent to that e-mail address to go into an Access database (or it could be SQL Server if there is something that allows Novell Groupwise to interface with SQL Server). We have Novell Groupwise 6 and Access 2000. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Molly mollyf@hotmail.com (Molly J. Fagan) wrote: >I'm trying to develop a help desk system to replace Trak-It. We have >a help desk e-mail address and want all messages sent to that e-mail &g...

E-mail ereignissgesteuert aus MS Access 97 in Notes verschicken.
Hallo, ich moechte Emails ereignisgesteuert aus A97 �ber Lotus Notes verschicken, habe aber keinen Schimmer wie. Ein Ansatz, den ich mir mal �berlegt habe waere ueber ein Hilfstool wie z.B. commandmail. F�r hilfreiche Tips, wie man diese Funktion umsetzen kann bin ich sehr dankbar. ...

E-mailing from Access
I'm looking for some help on setting up a form that will send automated e-mails through groupwise. I am a novice at codeing and really need a cut and paste type response. I've had people in the past try and help me, but nothing has worked thus far. I've been trying to get this to work for several years now. I know there may be some resources (found as a manu item when creating a module) required, but I'm not sure which ones and how to tie them in. Here is what I need. I will have a form set-up with fields that contain all of the recepients of the e-mail, e-mail's addre...

No e-mail access!
Greetings all! I got big problems & need help from experts! It started last week and here is my problemos? 1) Cannot retrieve e-mail from "Termite TCP" 2) cannot retrieve e-mail from any version of "YAM", it just locks-up or freezes.. then I tried my back-up Jaz cartridge and also Zip cartridge: The YAM always locks up. What happened? Is my A-1200 going kaput? ...Any help/comments/suggestions appreciated....I even tried the Disc Salv2 to see if it can resolve the problemo...but same thing: YAM locks up and that's it ..I can retrieve my e-mails from my HP lap...

I cannot access my e-mail.
I clicked on the Juno icon on my desktop to read my e-mail, and a prompt came up saying the computer could not find JDUXDLL.I cannot access my e-mail now.I did a search and i could not locate it on the hard drive,.What can i do to fix the problem? thanks. I found the problem. It took a little Sherlock Holmes work, but it's allright now. shareyourknowledge@hotmail.com wrote: > I clicked on the Juno icon on my desktop to read my e-mail, and a > prompt came up saying the computer could not find JDUXDLL.I cannot > access my e-mail now.I did a search and i could not locate it on the ...

Web resources about - function to isolate the e-mail host from an e-mail name - comp.database.ms-access

Wave function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... (a ball attached to a spring ) in classical mechanics (A-B) and quantum mechanics (C-H). In quantum mechanics (C-H), the ball has a wave function ...

Eating chocolate 'improves brain function' - study
... news for those with a sweet tooth - a recent study has found that regular chocolate consumption is associated with better cognitive function. ...

Resource sector may outsource finance functions to Asia
Outsourcing financial functions to Asia is one tactic struggling Australian energy and resources companies may use this year to survive the slump ...

Using Functions to Make Better Abstractions
... (code that is tightly coupled to its own implementation details). I was wrong. I was wrong because I had an incomplete understanding of functions. ...

Cisco launches new network functions virtualization infrastructure solution to help service providers ...
Al-Bawaba Cisco launches new network functions virtualization infrastructure solution to help service providers run network ... Al-Bawaba ...

A Non-Sokratic Dialogue on Social Welfare Functions: Hoisted from the Archives from 2003
**[A Non-Sokratic Dialogue on Social Welfare Functions: Hoisted from the Archives from 2003](http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/movable_type/2 ...

Yahoo Begins Grim Job of Closing Functions, Laying Off Staff
Yahoo Food is closing, and other digital magazines on tech, travel and beauty are also scheduled for closing or major cutbacks.

Don’t tase me, bro: Study shows being shocked by a Taser disrupts brain function
Researchers at Drexel shot a bunch of college students with 50,000 volts. The result? Short-term declines in cognitive function comparable with ...

Engineers 3D Print Tissue That Mimics How The Human Liver Functions
Engineers say they have 3D printed life-like liver tissue that could be a new platform in the lab to test the efficacy of drugs saving pharmaceutical ...

A 3D Printed Jet Engine Appears to Function
... jet engine . You may remember seeing a 3D printed jet engine grace our front page back in October. That one was beautiful didn’t function . ...