Running Oracle 8.1.x and Oracle 9i on same Windows 2000 Server

I'm attempting to run an Oracle 8.1.7 database and and Oracle 9i database
on the same Windows 2000 Server.

Before doing this has anyone ran this configuration and are there any
things I must watch out for prior to installing the Oracle 9i software?

Thanks for the assistance.
David
0
David
12/4/2003 7:03:50 PM
comp.database.oracle 721 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

David wrote:

> I'm attempting to run an Oracle 8.1.7 database and and Oracle 9i database
> on the same Windows 2000 Server.
>
> Before doing this has anyone ran this configuration and are there any
> things I must watch out for prior to installing the Oracle 9i software?
>
> Thanks for the assistance.
> David

Environment variables
Multiple Oracle Homes
Lack of resources

It can be done. Many have done it. It still isn't a good idea if it can
be avoided.

And please, in the future, do NOT cross-post.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan@x.washington.edu

0
Daniel

Running ORACLE 8.1.7 & ORACLE 9.2 on the same UNIX server
Hi, I have recently installed ORACLE 9.2 Database on a UNIX server (2.8) which already has ORACLE 8.1.7. They have both a different SID and ORACLE_BASE. However I am having to use the ORACLE 8 listener for both ORACLE databases. Is it possible to run separate ORACLE 8 and ORACLE 9 listeners? Hello, There are no difficulty to use 2 listeners on the same machine. The point is that default listener used to listen on port 1521 (or 1526). You will have to change your listener configuration( netasst or by hand) in order to use a different port number, a different listener name and communicate it to your users for their tnsnames.ora. LSNR8I = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL= TCP)(Host= machine)(Port= 1110)) ) Generally what I do is to create 1 listener per Oracle Version. After that, for starting listeners you'll have to launch lsnrctl start LSNR8I ou lsnrctl start LSNR9I I am used to name listeners with different names since 8i because you have the autoregistration stuff and with 2 listeners with the same name, you are not sure on which the database will register (or using le local_listener init parm). Regs, Olivier jonathan.johnston@bt.com (Jonathan Johnston) wrote in message news:<5e07fa5.0406080037.67d595a9@posting.google.com>... > Hi, > > I have recently installed ORACLE 9.2 Database on a UNIX server (2.8) > which already has ORACLE 8.1.7. They have both a different SID and > ...

Using Oracle 8.1.7 OCI JDBC Driver WIth Oracle 9i Database
Has anyone had any problems using the 8.1.7 OCI JDBC driver with a 9i database? Oracle states they are compatible at the following URL: http://otn.oracle.com/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/htdocs/jdbc_faq.htm#_1_ "Matt" <mdavey4@csc.com> wrote in message news:f2892d3a.0307241304.6295d05c@posting.google.com... > Has anyone had any problems using the 8.1.7 OCI JDBC driver with a 9i database? > > Oracle states they are compatible at the following URL: > http://otn.oracle.com/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/htdocs/jdbc_faq.htm#_1_ Any reason not to trust that statement? If you do have any reason, why don't you post it rightaway? -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA to reply remove '-verwijderdit' from my e-mail address ...

Need Oracle Patch for Oracle 8i (8.1.7) to make it to 8.1.7.4 WINDOWS Env.
Hi, I am a newbie here and looking for a patch which will convert 8.1.7 to 8.1.7.2 / 8.1.7.4 in a windows environment. I dont have a metalink account. If someone can help i'd appreciate it. Maybe some from the newsgroup knows how to get it. I need this for personal use (educational) Thanks. Regards RS Unfortunately the only way to get patches is through metalink and with a valid support contract. And you want to be running 8.1.7.4.13 on windows as a minimum. Regards, John On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 02:48:48 -0400, "RS" <rohitsinha@comcast.net> wrote: >Hi, > I am a newbie here and looking for a patch which will convert >8.1.7 to 8.1.7.2 / 8.1.7.4 in a windows environment. I dont have a metalink >account. If someone can help i'd appreciate it. Maybe some from the >newsgroup knows how to get it. I need this for personal use (educational) >Thanks. > > >Regards > >RS > ...

Patching Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 to Oracle 8.1.7.4.1
Hello, my configuration is Windows 2K Server SP4 and Oracle 8.1.7.0.0. Where can i find a patch to upgrade to Oracle 8.1.7.4.1 Many thanks for your attention -- Sitta many thanks!!!! Have a nice work "Rauf Sarwar" <rs_arwar@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:1106137485.286119.307110@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > > Sitta Davide wrote: >> Hello, >> my configuration is >> >> Windows 2K Server SP4 and Oracle 8.1.7.0.0. >> >> Where can i find a patch to upgrade to Oracle 8.1.7.4.1 >> >> >> Many th...

Oracle 8i and 9i Database concurrently on Windows 2000 Server
I am trying to install Oracle 8i and 9i Database server on same machine , but I am getting getting various errors.. I cannot start TNSListener servive of both 8i and 9i simultaneously. If i try to login to 8i Database using scott / tiger or try to create a database , I get "Tns protocol error". Cannot complete Net8 configuration and Database configuration while installing 8i Database server. Please help me for same as i tried installing 8i for many times. I have kept different home names for both 8i and 9i. Forms 6i and D2k 4.5 is already installed on the M/c. Is there any sequenc...

Using Oracle Developer with Oracle 8.1.7 database
Hi. I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have to connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase. Is it possible to connect to such an "old" database with the current versions or Oracle Developer Suite? Thank you, El DoDo march...@units.it wrote: > Hi. > > I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I > can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have to > connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase. > Is it possible to connect to such an "old" database with the current > versions or Oracle Developer Suite? > > Thank you, > El DoDo 9i client is backward compatable to 8i. However, 10g is only backwards compatable to certain 8i patchset. I can connect from 10g client to 8.1.7.4.1 but not to 8.1.7.0. Not sure about the in between patchsets as I don't have them. Regards /Rauf marchesa@units.it wrote: > Hi. > > I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I > can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have to > connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase. > Is it possible to connect to such an "old" database with the current > versions or Oracle Developer Suite? > > Thank you, > El DoDo Yes. Make sure you have patched the 8i database to make it as current as possible. -- Daniel A. Morgan...

Connectivity Between two saperate Database (oracle 8 and oracle 9i)
Dear Sir, We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How to ensure that these select/update does not fail. Kishan Thakker kishanthakker@gmail.com wrote: > Dear Sir, > > We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are > on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out > the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 > live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is > inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update > rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How > to ensure that these select/update does not fail. > > Kishan Thakker How much data? Which version of 9i? Which version of 8? How much downtime is possible? -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org ...

update database oracle 8.1.7 to oracle 9?
Hi How I can change my database for Oracle 8.1.7. to Oracle 9. Please help me. Thanks Slawek slawek wrote: > Hi > > How I can change my database for Oracle 8.1.7. to Oracle 9. > Please help me. Thanks > > > Slawek When you purchase the new version of Oracle it comes with an installation and migration manual. The details are in the manual. Basically install new version to new home Shutdown old database Restart using new ORACLE_HOME Run upgrade scripts There is a migration utility that pretty much automates this but we always perform the tasks manually. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:35:45 +0200, slawek <yazoo@hacking.pl> wrote: >How I can change my database for Oracle 8.1.7. to Oracle 9. http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96530/toc.htm -- Andy Hassall :: andy@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool Uzytkownik "Andy Hassall" <andy@andyh.co.uk> napisal w wiadomosci news:60d0h2poie7f9f0omigqadl02lmsis8kee@4ax.com... > On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:35:45 +0200, slawek <yazoo@hacking.pl> wrote: > >>How I can change my database for Oracle 8.1.7. to Oracle 9. > > http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96530/toc.htm > > -- > Andy Hassall :: andy@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk > http://www.andyhsoftware.c...

Materialized View on Oracle 9i mastered by Oracle 8.1.6
I have a need to create a Materialized View on an Oracle 9i server that is mastered on an Oracle 8.1.6 server. We have given this a try, but we get the following errors when attempting to refresh with this configuration: SQL> BEGIN 2 DBMS_REFRESH.REFRESH ('REP') ; 3 END ; 4 / BEGIN * ERROR at line 1: ORA-02055: distributed update operation failed; rollback required ORA-02068: following severe error from TEST.WORLD ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SNAPSHOT", line 794 ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SNAPSHOT", line 8...

massive performance drop Oracle 9i on multi processor system (Windows Server 2003, Oracle 9i, 9.2.0.6.0)
The performance of some complex PL/SQL functions has dropped dramatically since migrating from Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.0) on Windows Server 2000 to 9i (9.2.0.6.0) on Windows Server 2003. We found out, that Oracle 9i performance on a multi processor CPU machine (our server has 4 XEON CPUs, Hyperthreading is disabled in BIOS) is highly dependent on init.ora parameters; unfortunately our trial and error approach to find the proper settings (we searched Oracle Tech Net (OTN) and google groups without success) did not help so far. We are testing performance behaviour with some business critical PL/SQL ...

Oracle 8.1.7 32-Bit to Oracle 8.1.7 64-Bit
Hi I would much appreciate help We have a 150-200GB database on Oracle 8.1.7 which resides on a HP-UX 32-bit machine. We are upgrading the HP-UX machine to 64-Bit. Is the only way of extracting/inmporting the data via the exp/imp utitlity due to the change in bits? Is there any other way? Thanks Bob Bob wrote: > Hi I would much appreciate help > > We have a 150-200GB database on Oracle 8.1.7 which resides on a HP-UX > 32-bit machine. We are upgrading the HP-UX machine to 64-Bit. Hi, a) Do you want to upgrade Oracle-Software from 32bit to 64bit? On Solaris, I know 32bit ...

replace Oracle 8 with Oracle 9i
Hi all, Customer is upgrading an NT to Win3000, and I want to upgrade their Oracle 8 to Oracle 9i. I would prefer to just delete the entire Oracle 8 environment and do a clean install of 9i. Do I need to run an uninstaller to remove Oracle 8, or can I just delete the entire oracle folder from the D drive? Thanks Jim In article <jim-BEA762.15422229112005@comcast.dca.giganews.com>, Jim Pistrang <jim@jpcr.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >Customer is upgrading an NT to Win3000, and I want to upgrade their >Oracle 8 to Oracle 9i. I would prefer to just dele...

replace Oracle 8 with Oracle 9i
Hi all, Customer is upgrading an NT to Win3000, and I want to upgrade their Oracle 8 to Oracle 9i. I would prefer to just delete the entire Oracle 8 environment and do a clean install of 9i. Do I need to run an uninstaller to remove Oracle 8, or can I just delete the entire oracle folder from the D drive? Thanks Jim On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:45:33 -0500, Jim Pistrang <jim@jpcr.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >Customer is upgrading an NT to Win3000, and I want to upgrade their >Oracle 8 to Oracle 9i. I would prefer to just delete the entire Oracle >8 environment and do a ...

I am in the last stages of installing Oracle Server 10gR2 Enterprise Edition on a UNIX AIX server. When window "Execute Configuration Scripts" comes up it tells me to execute "/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/root.sh". The ".../oracle/oracle/..." stops me cold. I look back in my notes and everything I wrote suggests I had entered ".../oracle/product/....." for my ORACLE_HOME. I look at the install log in /u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/logs and see: "INFO: Setting variable 'ORACLE_HOME' to '/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/d...

Linked Server from SQL-Server 2000 to Oracle 8.1.7
We have a linked server, which worked fine, but we have just changed the collation sequence, in SQL-Server, from SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS to Latin1_General_CI_AS. Now trying to use the Linked server, we get the following message: "Error 7399: OLE DB Provider 'MSDAORA' reported an error. The provider did not give any information about the error. OLE DB error trace [OLE DB provider 'MSDAORA' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005: The provider did not give any information about the error]." Ha anyone seen this before, because I am not sure why changing the ...

Oracle 8.1 on 2000 server
Oracle 8.1 is installed as part of my app on Windows 2000 server. Fast question is should the app and oracle be stopped when applying patches to Windows 2000 server? My concern is that the patching process may interupt Oracle services. Mike mmccaws2 wrote: > Oracle 8.1 is installed as part of my app on Windows 2000 server. Fast > question is should the app and oracle be stopped when applying patches > to Windows 2000 server? My concern is that the patching process may > interupt Oracle services. > > > Mike Many Windows Updates will require a reboot to fully instal...

help searching for oracles and Oracles and ORACLES
Hello Mark D Powell, Robert Klemme, Michael O'Shea, David FitzJarrell and thank you for your help before. I have a table called "table2" that has the following in it id1 Description 1 oracle oracle oracle oracle 2 oracle school oracle school school school 6 the school the party the oracle How can I get SQL to get rows with Oracle or oracle (first letter is upcase) or ORACLE My SQL is select * from table2 where description like '%oracle%' or description like '%Oracle' or description like '%ORACLE%' In access '%oracle%' works in upcase or lower case but in Oracle I have to keep testing for all cases. The word might be oRaCLe but I don't want to write them all. How can I do this Thank you Jon Hi Jon, I would suggest the following: select * from table2 where instr(lower(description),'oracle') > 0; lower will make all the characters in the description field lowercase so you only need to test for lower case characters. instr will return > 0 if it finds any occurance of the word 'oracle' Hope this helps, C On Feb 18, 3:44=A0pm, jharbo...@googlemail.com wrote: > Hello Mark D Powell, Robert Klemme, Michael O'Shea, David FitzJarrell > and thank you for your help before. > > I have a table called "table2" that has the following in it > > id1 =A0 =A0 =A0Description > =A01 =A0 =A0...

installing "oracle 8i (8.1.5) for windows nt" on windows xp/2000
Hi I'm using Pentium IV 3.0 GHz (HT enabled) with Windows XP (SP2) as my home pc. I was able to install Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition for Windows NT in this machine (perhaps, successfully) . Immediately upon installing, I was able to login and create a user, and things like that. But after i shutdown and restart the OS, the OracleStartServiceId service is shown as "Starting" in the windows services control panel and the service would not just start. All other oracle services are able to get started and running. I also installed on windows 2000, same result as mentioned above. Now, please help me with the following : 1. Is it problem of installing of oracle database meant for windows nt but installed on windows xp 2. Is it Pentium-IV related problem. 3. Is it Pentium-IV HT related prob. (disabling HT in the bios solves the prob?) Appreciate greatly for the HELP to overcome this installation problem. TIA Best regards dream liner <venugopal.sistla@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1135827253.474446.317520@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > Hi > I'm using Pentium IV 3.0 GHz (HT enabled) with Windows XP (SP2) as my > home pc. I was able to install Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition for > Windows NT in this machine (perhaps, successfully) . Immediately upon > installing, I was able to login and create a user, and things like > that. > > But after i shutdown and restart the OS, the OracleStart...

Installation of "oracle 8i (8.1.5) for windows nt" on windows xp/2000
dream liner Dec 28, 9:29 am show options Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.server From: "dream liner" <venugopal.sis...@gmail.com> - Find messages by this author Date: 27 Dec 2005 20:29:14 -0800 Local: Wed, Dec 28 2005 9:29 am Subject: installing "oracle 81.5 for windows nt" on windows xp/2000 Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse Hi I'm using Pentium IV 3.0 GHz (HT enabled) with Windows XP (SP2) as my home pc. I was able to install Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition for Windows NT in this machine (perhaps...

Oracle 8.1.6 and windows 2000
database number of connexions hang with an error TNS-00510 cpu /memory and I/O are corrects is there any paramaters to modify ? any idea herve SABIAUX wrote: > database number of connexions hang with an error TNS-00510 cpu /memory > and I/O are corrects > is there any paramaters to modify ? any idea I have a very clear idea that I have no idea what your problem is. 8.1.6 is unsupported and obsolete. You didn't post hardware, operating system, any reason for us to know that your assumptions about cpu, memory, and I/O are correct, or any information abou...

Oracle 8 odbc driver to Oracle 9i db
I'm trying to link tables in MS Access. The ODBC driver is 8.0.5. The database is 9i. I'm timing out. If the issues is that I need a new ODBC driver, what do I need to install from the 9i Client package to make that happen? Thanks, Chris O ...

Web resources about - Running Oracle 8.1.x and Oracle 9i on same Windows 2000 Server - comp.database.oracle

Running - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the type of locomotion in humans. For running in horses, see Horse gait . For locomotion in dogs, see Gait (dog) . For ...

Mina Guli: Australian woman running 40 marathons in 49 days in 7 Desert Challenge
A FEW days ago Mina Guli was running on a polar ice cap, it was minus 20 degrees and there was a white out.

90 percent of Android devices are running an outdated OS
According to new research over 90 percent of Android devices are running an out of date version of the OS. In addition, 32 percent of those in ...

Lunatics running the asylum @BloggersRus
Lunatics running the asylum by Tom Sullivan The sooner America legalizes marijuana and collectively lights one up, the better. At the risk ...

***Horse Race LiveWire*** Trump Not Running Ads In Any Super Tuesday States
***Horse Race LiveWire*** Trump Not Running Ads In Any Super Tuesday States

Hundreds of millions of pounds are running through Airbnb's UK business
The UK is a big market for Airbnb, with over 81,000 properties listed on the platform here and 2.2 million tourists using the service to stay ...

GOP Gov. Brian Sandoval takes himself out of the running for SCOTUS
His decision comes only a day after CBS News confirmed the White House had been vetting him

Batman V. Superman Running Time Confirmed
Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice will run for more than two and a half hours, AMC Theatres has [...]

Apple Watch’s biggest competitor is running into problems
We still don’t have exact sales numbers on the Apple Watch, but something is clearly having a big impact on Fitbit, Apple’s biggest rival in ...

2016’s Running-Mate Musical Chairs
The ultimate rule in picking a running mate echoes the Hippocratic Oath for physicians: First, do no harm.