What is it like to work with Oracle?

Hi all,

I am thinking about becoming an Oracle developer. I have experience with
Centura Team Developer AKA SQLWindows, this is a front-end developer
environment for a variety of of database servers: Oracle, MS SqlServer,
Informix etc.

What is it like to work with the Oracle developer environment?
Is it nice or rather ok or so-so, or do you love it? For instance, does it
have a nice debugger, is it intuitive, logical, effective, productive etc?
Can anyone share his/her experience?

Thanks in advance

Corrado
0
Corrado
2/21/2006 1:54:23 PM
comp.database.oracle 721 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Corrado Valiente wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am thinking about becoming an Oracle developer. I have experience with
> Centura Team Developer AKA SQLWindows, this is a front-end developer
> environment for a variety of of database servers: Oracle, MS SqlServer,
> Informix etc.
>
> What is it like to work with the Oracle developer environment?

Oracle Developer is like any other mickeymouse point/click tool. It may be easy
to use, but you - the programmer - lose as you no longer truely understand the
technology you are using...

--
Michael Austin.
DBA Consultant

Oracle Developer is the common name for a SUITE of products, that includes

- Oracle Forms; (a forms builder - think PowerBuilder, VB but in PL/SQL)
- Oracle Reports; (a report builder - think Crystal Reports)
- Oracle JDeveloper; (a Java IDE - think Eclipse)
- Warehouse Builder; (an ETL builder - think
- Oracle Designer; (a CASE tool - think Erwin and other modelling tools)
- Oracle Discoverer; (ad hoc query administrator - think Informatica)
- Oracle SCM; (source code config mgt - think CVS, Safe Source)

IN all cases, Oracle provides a decent and usable environment. Whether it
is for you depends on your brain - as with any GUI environment, your
comfort level depends on whether you CAN think in the same way the
developer of the enviuronment thinks.

Whether it is superior, or even functional, for an individual is often a
matter of religion.

I fully expect flames on this from all sorts of [explicative deleted]
people who have reasons for not using a specific component of the suite -
usually religious ravings that do not take into account that things
change/improve over time.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com

0
HansF
2/22/2006 8:02:46 PM
"HansF" <News.Hans@telus.net> wrote in message
> Depends entirely on what yiou are trying to develop and what language you
> are trying to use to develop.
>
> Oracle Developer is the common name for a SUITE of products, that includes
>
> - Oracle Forms; (a forms builder - think PowerBuilder, VB but in PL/SQL)
> - Oracle Reports; (a report builder - think Crystal Reports)
> - Oracle JDeveloper; (a Java IDE - think Eclipse)
> - Warehouse Builder; (an ETL builder - think
> - Oracle Designer; (a CASE tool - think Erwin and other modelling tools)
> - Oracle Discoverer; (ad hoc query administrator - think Informatica)
> - Oracle SCM; (source code config mgt - think CVS, Safe Source)
>
> IN all cases, Oracle provides a decent and usable environment. Whether it
> is for you depends on your brain - as with any GUI environment, your
> comfort level depends on whether you CAN think in the same way the
> developer of the enviuronment thinks.
>
> Whether it is superior, or even functional, for an individual is often a
> matter of religion.
>
> I fully expect flames on this from all sorts of [explicative deleted]
> people who have reasons for not using a specific component of the suite -
> usually religious ravings that do not take into account that things
> change/improve over time.
>
> --
> Hans Forbrich
> Canada-wide Oracle training and consulting
> mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com
> *** Top posting [replies] guarantees I won't respond. ***

You forgot to mention sql*plus :-p

0
Matthias
2/24/2006 7:32:59 PM
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 20:32:59 +0100, Matthias Hoys wrote:

> You forgot to mention sql*plus :-p

That's part of the Programmer kit, not the Developer kit.