Backing up records as they are deleted

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

My users are asking for the ability to delete records.  However, there
is no undo for deleted records so I'm looking for some way to backup
records they delete.  Setting a field to mark records as deleted is a
problem since that change would affect all scripted finds, unless
someone knows a slick way to do that.

What I'm hoping for is a way to export the record some how, either into
a file or into another table.  I see problems here as well since the
fields in the table might change.  An xml file would preserve the field
info of the moment I suppose.

Another issue is that my database is hosted on a server.  If I script a
delete that exports to a file the file ends up on the user's computer
not my server.

Is there a better way or do I have some redesigning to do?

Russ

0
Reply kosherpiggy (7) 3/8/2006 6:25:49 PM

See related articles to this posting

For a similar problem I have created a clone of my first database, renamed
it backup and then created a delete script which transfers the data of the
current record to the backup file. then deleting the record.

Ursus

"Russ" <kosherpiggy@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> My users are asking for the ability to delete records.  However, there
> is no undo for deleted records so I'm looking for some way to backup
> records they delete.  Setting a field to mark records as deleted is a
> problem since that change would affect all scripted finds, unless
> someone knows a slick way to do that.
>
> What I'm hoping for is a way to export the record some how, either into
> a file or into another table.  I see problems here as well since the
> fields in the table might change.  An xml file would preserve the field
> info of the moment I suppose.
>
> Another issue is that my database is hosted on a server.  If I script a
> delete that exports to a file the file ends up on the user's computer
> not my server.
>
> Is there a better way or do I have some redesigning to do?
>
> Russ

0
Reply ursus 3/8/2006 7:28:32 PM

If I hit the delete button and a message ask "Are you sure you want to
delete this client record?" and I click on "Yes" then I think I'm an
idiot if I didn't want it to delete that record.
I've heard of clients claiming info went missing until a deletion
tracking file was implemented which simply recorded the user, date,
time, and client name that was deleted.
If you insist on keeping the record that is to be deleted, you could
look into using record access privileges, possibly marking a "Deletion
Flag" field means the users nolonger have access to that record.  I
believe Finds will not find records that a user doesn't have access to
but you'll have to double check that for yourself.  This will however
mess things up for anyone loggedin with full access.

0
Reply FP 3/9/2006 4:17:38 AM

ursus.kirk <secret@nowhere.com> wrote:

> "Russ" <kosherpiggy@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> > My users are asking for the ability to delete records. <...>
> > What I'm hoping for is a way to export the record some how, either into
> > a file or into another table.  I see problems here as well since the
> > fields in the table might change.  An xml file would preserve the field
> > info of the moment I suppose.
<...>
> > Is there a better way or do I have some redesigning to do?
> For a similar problem I have created a clone of my first database, renamed
> it backup and then created a delete script which transfers the data of the
> current record to the backup file. then deleting the record.

Even a more safe way: create a COPY of the database and upon delete set
a field to 'has been deleted'. Read back the field before deletion.
ard
0
Reply ardpuntjonkeratxs4al 3/9/2006 8:39:14 PM
comp.databases.filemaker 10762 articles. 18 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Getting back a deleted record
Accidentally deleted a record. Anyway to get it back? If not, I know the ID number - which is an autonumber field. Because of the related data from other tables, would I be able to create a new record and make its ID number, that of the deleted record? Thanks! magmike On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:34:26 -0000, magmike <magmike7@yahoo.com> wrote: If you haven't done anything else with the db, a data recovery service may still be able to get it back for you. Of course you can recover it from last night's backup as well. Sounds like you violated rule #1 of database design, and did n...

delete records using querydef with parameter deletes ALL records
Hello, I have a table : Batch It contains fields batchnummer : Number (Long Integer) datum : Date/Time status : Number (Long Integer) nr_records : Number (Long Integer) It contains a number of records and I want to delete the record with a specific batchnummer eg 89 I created a querydef "Delete Batch by Batchnummer" PARAMETERS batchnummer Long; DELETE * FROM batch WHERE batchnummer=[batchnummer]; This is the VB code I used Sub doit() Dim qd As QueryDef Set qd = CurrentDb.QueryDefs("Delete Batch by Batchnummer") qd.Parameters("batchnu...

check-integrity complains while deleting MX record with no A record, but not while deleting.
I am using bind9.4.1-P1 I am using nsupdate to add MX records I added an MX record that does not refer to an A record. ie: update add test.net. 500 IN MX 1 ddd.test.net. There is no A record for "ddd.test.net." It allows me to do this with no complaints. However, when I try to delete this record with update delete test.net. 500 IN MX 1 ddd.test.net. I get update failed: REFUSED This behavior continues until I set check-integrity no; in the options clause. The following settings made no difference: check-names master ignore; check-...

Re: check-integrity complains while deleting MX record with no A record, but not while deleting.
> I am using bind9.4.1-P1 > > I am using nsupdate to add MX records > > I added an MX record that does not refer to an A record. > ie: > > update add test.net. 500 IN MX 1 ddd.test.net. > > There is no A record for "ddd.test.net." > > It allows me to do this with no complaints. > > However, when I try to delete this record with > update delete test.net. 500 IN MX 1 ddd.test.net. > I get > update failed: REFUSED > > > This behavior continues until I set check-integrity no; > in t...

Re: check-integrity complains while deleting MX record with no A record, but not while deleting. #5

RE: check-integrity complains while deleting MX record with no A record, but not while deleting. #2
-> > Shouldn't it also complain while ADDing the MX record Yes. If you check the upcoming fixes on the web page or 9.4.2rc1 you will see that this is fixed. Thank you. So it will complain during the ADD? Will it still complain during the DELETE? It seems to me, anyway, that deleting an invalid record should be possible. Thanks -- jack ...

Re: check-integrity complains while deleting MX record with no A record, but not while deleting. #3
> > > -> > > Shouldn't it also complain while ADDing the MX record > > Yes. If you check the upcoming fixes on the web page > or 9.4.2rc1 you will see that this is fixed. > > > Thank you. > So it will complain during the ADD? > Will it still complain during the DELETE? > It seems to me, anyway, that deleting an invalid record should be > possible. 2219. [bug] Apply zone consistancy checks to additions, not removals, when updating. [RT #17049] > Thanks > -- > jack ...

RE: check-integrity complains while deleting MX record with no A record, but not while deleting. #4
> > > -> > > Shouldn't it also complain while ADDing the MX record > > Yes. If you check the upcoming fixes on the web page > or 9.4.2rc1 you will see that this is fixed. > > > Thank you. > So it will complain during the ADD? > Will it still complain during the DELETE? > It seems to me, anyway, that deleting an invalid record should be > possible. 2219. [bug] Apply zone consistancy checks to additions, not removals, when updating. [RT #17049] Thank you. I grepped for ...

update record when record is deleted
I want QTY on hand to be updated when record in detail sale is deleted. can any one help "khan" <ahmad336@gmail.com> schreef in bericht = news:1115665339.851235.101690@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... >I want QTY on hand to be updated when record in detail sale is deleted. > can any one help > IMO helping you is just a waste of time ... I won't help you again, = promised. Arno R ...

DELETE only deleted 10000 records
I have a stored procedure: DELETE FROM dbo.Period_NonLabor WHERE (Period_Date = '6/13/2008') I have to run it multiple times because it only deletes 10000 records each time I run it. Is there a way to force it to delete all records? Thanks! Jer (jerry.w.black@saic.com) writes: > I have a stored procedure: > DELETE FROM dbo.Period_NonLabor > WHERE (Period_Date = '6/13/2008') > > I have to run it multiple times because it only deletes 10000 records > each time I run it. Is there a way to force it to delete all records? Sounds like you have run SE...

Deleting lots of records and record size
I'm working on an application that imports and exports tons of CSV data, like 64,000 records per file, and six or seven files in a set. First off, by the tine I import a few hundred thousand records the database is _huge_. Like 500 meg, although the csv files are only 25 meg in total. When I compact the database its still 100meg. How do I keep the size down? Second, I did a manual delete of 300,000 records yesterday by doing a select-all in the table and then delete. Is there a faster way? Granted my computer is no speed demon, but it must have taken twenty minutes or more. Third, ...

Matching records from data set one with records from data set two and deleting a record from data set two
Hi I need to match records from data set one with records from data set two. I can only match records from data set two to a single record in data set one. Therefore i need to delete the record in data set two or show that it has been used, and thererfore can not be used again. Have do i do that? I have been trying some thing like this: Data newdataset; set one; found=0; do i=1 to nobs until (found); set two point=i nobs=nobs; if var1=var2 (the matching criteria) then do; output; found=1; ***I need to delete the record in da...

Selective deletion
Dear all, I'm trying to do a selective deletion from an 'Archive' table based on dates. Here is the setup: Table 'Archive' has a date field ( [DateArchive] ). Another table ('Cutoffs') defines the Low and High Cut-off dates (fields: [DateCutoff_Low], [DateCutoff_Hi] respectively). The logic is: We want to delete all the records from the Archive table where: [DateArchive] >= [DateCutoff_Low] OR [DateArchive] <= [DateCutoff_Hi] The closest I've got (using the Access GUI) generates this SQL: DELETE Archive.*, Archive.DateArchive FROM Archive, Cutoff...

forbit deleting a record if it has related records in an other table
How can I prevent the deletion of a record if it has related records in FM8.5 pro? In FM6.0 I used the isvalid(othertable::field) function to determin the existance of related records. This doesnt seam to work in 8.5. Any sugestions? In article <erd2k0$ljl$1@mouse.otenet.gr>, "Hatzigiannakis Nikos" <ypai@aigaio.gr> wrote: > How can I prevent the deletion of a record if it has related records in > FM8.5 pro? > > In FM6.0 I used the isvalid(othertable::field) function to determin the > existance of related records. This doesnt seam to work in 8.5....

Delete Query-Identifying the table with records for deletion
HI again: I have a query which selects records on tblPOmods on the basis of information on two other tables. I wish to delete the selected transactions, and am having a problem doing it. It tells me that if "could not delete from the specified tables". I have tried to set the "where" to "From" for the fields I selected, but the "From" wont take and bounces back to "where". I have tried other strategies, and got a comment "Identity table to delete", but the "where" still won't change to a "From". Does anyone ...

Delete record based on existence of another record in same table?
Hi All, I have a table in SQL Server 2000 that contains several million member ids. Some of these member ids are duplicated in the table, and each record is tagged with a 1 or a 2 in [recsrc] to indicate where they came from. I want to remove all member ids records from the table that have a recsrc of 1 where the same member id also exists in the table with a recsrc of 2. So, if the member id has a recsrc of 1, and no other record exists in the table with the same member id and a recsrc of 2, I want it left untouched. So, in a theortetical dataset of member id and recsrc: 0001, 1 0002, 2 ...

Delete Records From a Table Using Records in Another Table.
I have been searching many postings and I cant seem to find anyone that has this answer so I decided to post. I am using SQL (Transact-SQL).If I have 2 tables with columns acct_num,activity_date,and pay_amt and I want to delete one instance of a record in table 1 for every instance of that record in table 2 how could I do that. For example. Table 1 ----------- acct activity_date pay_amt 123 5/1/2004 50.00 123 5/1/2004 50.00 123 5/1/2004 50.00 123 5/1/2004 50.00 123 5/1/2004 50.00 Table 2 ----------- acct activity_date pay_amt 123...

Stopping #deleted appearing on my form when I delete a complete record
I have a command button on one form (frmDelete) which deletes a record from the subform (frmGrant) of a main form (frmCustomer) which is open behind it. Problem is, when I go back to frmCustomer where the record was deleted, every field in the subform contains the value #deleted. How can I prevent this? I have tried adding the code: Forms![frmClient]![frmInvoices].Form.Repaint but it hasn't worked. can anyone help? Try Forms![frmClient]![frmInvoices].Form.Requery Alex "Jacko" <cloudbustingforever@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cfa69c85.0409200230.403aad15@posting.goo...

Garbage in a record and I can't delete the record
One of my records is returning garbage. I tried to delete the record it a message comes back and says Search Key Cannot be found. I don't know what happened to the record but I sure need to get rid of the record and recreate it as it is totaling hosing up all my month end stats. Thank you in advance. Bobbie wrote: > One of my records is returning garbage. I tried to delete the record > it a message comes back and says Search Key Cannot be found. I don't > know what happened to the record but I sure need to get rid of the > record and recreate it as it is totaling ho...

Delete non-related records: deleted and then, there they re-appear
I must do something totaaly wrong, but it looks so simple what I want. I want to make a demo version of my application, so that the one who will demonstrate it doesn't have to show his own data. So, first of all, I combined my front-end and back-end. Then I deleted a lot, in order to obtain just a compact set of data. Now there are plenty records which have no relation to other tables. Out they should go. I use the wizzard to make a qyery of non-related records. It finds 132. OK I select them all and press Delete. And they are gone. But they are not. If I press F5 to refresh the query,...

#deleted problem when deleting records from sql server through vba
I have a front-end access database that uses a sql server back-end to link the tables. When I run the following code, the subform displays #deleted in place of the deleted record. What am I doing wrong??? s = "DELETE WMS_FID FROM [tmp_PID] WHERE [WMS_FID]=" & Me.txt_WMS_FID domcd.RunSQL (s) '*** PMP 9/22/07 - Copy the records to be deleted from t_PID to t_PID_Deleted table s = "INSERT INTO t_PID_Deleted ( WMS_FID, S_PER_IK, S_SEQ_NB, MRN_PRE, MRN, PID, EU, LAST_NM, FIRST_NM, MIDDLE_NM, SSN, GENDER, MBR_TYPE, " & _ ...

Delete action in subform trying to delete multiple records
In a subform I have a simple SQL statement that links an order details table to a product table. The form is used to enter order details. Most fields are obviously from the details table, with only a UOM field from the product table. This has worked fine for years, I thought. The problem I seem to have is that if the user makes a mistake in putting a product in the order they then naturally want to delete the line out of the order. However, when they try this they now get a message that the detail record can't be deleted due to related records in the 'Production' table. Th...

klipper records count, single record remove/delete
Hello, is there a way to tell how much strings or whatsoever had klipper collected ? And, in particularly - a way of easily removing unnecessary ones ? TIA Krzysiek. ...

delete record
please help i was trying to delete a specific record on a table but it still shows the same record that should be deleted. i dont know how. bhetong22@yahoo.com (bher2) wrote in message news:<f34a4b26.0401272320.6f8cd318@posting.google.com>... > please help > > i was trying to delete a specific record on a table but it still shows > the same record that should be deleted. i dont know how. How are you deleting it? How are you seeing it? Try something like this from Query Analyzer: delete from dbo.MyTable where MyPrimaryKeyColumn = ... select * from dbo.MyTable where MyPri...