Backing up records as they are deleted

My users are asking for the ability to delete records.  However, there
is no undo for deleted records so I'm looking for some way to backup
records they delete.  Setting a field to mark records as deleted is a
problem since that change would affect all scripted finds, unless
someone knows a slick way to do that.

What I'm hoping for is a way to export the record some how, either into
a file or into another table.  I see problems here as well since the
fields in the table might change.  An xml file would preserve the field
info of the moment I suppose.

Another issue is that my database is hosted on a server.  If I script a
delete that exports to a file the file ends up on the user's computer
not my server.

Is there a better way or do I have some redesigning to do?

Russ

comp.databases.filemaker 11088 articles. 18 followers. amosw01 (46) is leader. Post Follow

For a similar problem I have created a clone of my first database, renamed
it backup and then created a delete script which transfers the data of the
current record to the backup file. then deleting the record.

Ursus

"Russ" <kosherpiggy@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> My users are asking for the ability to delete records.  However, there
> is no undo for deleted records so I'm looking for some way to backup
> records they delete.  Setting a field to mark records as deleted is a
> problem since that change would affect all scripted finds, unless
> someone knows a slick way to do that.
>
> What I'm hoping for is a way to export the record some how, either into
> a file or into another table.  I see problems here as well since the
> fields in the table might change.  An xml file would preserve the field
> info of the moment I suppose.
>
> Another issue is that my database is hosted on a server.  If I script a
> delete that exports to a file the file ends up on the user's computer
> not my server.
>
> Is there a better way or do I have some redesigning to do?
>
> Russ

0
ursus
3/8/2006 7:28:32 PM
If I hit the delete button and a message ask "Are you sure you want to
delete this client record?" and I click on "Yes" then I think I'm an
idiot if I didn't want it to delete that record.
I've heard of clients claiming info went missing until a deletion
tracking file was implemented which simply recorded the user, date,
time, and client name that was deleted.
If you insist on keeping the record that is to be deleted, you could
look into using record access privileges, possibly marking a "Deletion
Flag" field means the users nolonger have access to that record.  I
believe Finds will not find records that a user doesn't have access to
but you'll have to double check that for yourself.  This will however
mess things up for anyone loggedin with full access.

0
FP
3/9/2006 4:17:38 AM
ursus.kirk <secret@nowhere.com> wrote:

> "Russ" <kosherpiggy@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> > My users are asking for the ability to delete records. <...>
> > What I'm hoping for is a way to export the record some how, either into
> > a file or into another table.  I see problems here as well since the
> > fields in the table might change.  An xml file would preserve the field
> > info of the moment I suppose.
<...>
> > Is there a better way or do I have some redesigning to do?
> For a similar problem I have created a clone of my first database, renamed
> it backup and then created a delete script which transfers the data of the
> current record to the backup file. then deleting the record.

Even a more safe way: create a COPY of the database and upon delete set
a field to 'has been deleted'. Read back the field before deletion.
ard
0
ardpuntjonkeratxs4al

important : deleting rows with PL/SQL
hi, Is it possible to use "DELETE ON CASCADE" with stored PL/SQL procedures or have we to make the deletions of foreign keys manually with some "fetch" and "select" ? In this last case must we put them in the procedures of deletion or in triggers ? thanks Don't multipost. I answer you in c.d.o.misc. Regards Michel Cadot "philippe" <jftek@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:400CF8B6.3050900@hotmail.com... > hi, > > Is it possible to use "DELETE ON CASCADE" with stored PL/SQL procedures > or have we to make th...

Novell giving back to OSS
'Giving back to OSS' - Novell Alastair Otter May 28 2004 - Novell this week said its involvement in the open source community is intended to foster greater development in the sector. Ed Anderson, Novell's vice president for enterprise, said during the opening address ofthe three day long Brainshare conference that the company is trying to "give back to the open source community more than we have taken from it." [..] "Open source also recognises that one size does not fit all and offers us the opportunity to make the software fit our and your needs." ... &qu...

SAS/AF
Hey guys! First post here... Does anyone have a general guide on how to delete a record out of a form viewer (by hitting a button) and have it automatically go to the next record (or the first record even...just not a blank record). Let me know if you need anymore details. Thanks in advance for your help! Neal, The form viewer control's default popup menu allows users to delete rows. The viewer then scrolls automatically. To use a pushbutton for deletions (assuming you are using V8 objects), you can use SAS dataset model methods. Your code should: 1) Make sure the data file is open...

How to delete a lock
A table has been locked and I want to free it. I have looked at v$lock and v$session objects, but I don't know what entry to delete from where. What I do know is that nobody is using the database right now, and it is okay for me to delete the appropraite entry (whether from v$lock or v$session). Out of the first 5-10 links which turn up in a google or google-groups search for "delete lock oracle", no link provides a quick route to delete a lock and free the locked object. Please advise. On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 16:51:52 -0700, dn.perl@gmail.com wrote: > > A...

I am Back!
After a much needed and lengthy rest, I have decided to return. So trolls, prepare to clear on out of Megakat City! On Friday, February 15, 2013 12:09:09 AM UTC-5, Chance Furlong wrote: > After a much needed and lengthy rest, I have decided to return. So > > trolls, prepare to clear on out of Megakat City! Early release. On 2/15/13 12:14 AM, MuahMan wrote: > On Friday, February 15, 2013 12:09:09 AM UTC-5, Chance Furlong wrote: >> After a much needed and lengthy rest, I have decided to return. So >> trolls, prepare to clear on out of Megakat City! >...

Backing store issue
I'm running IDL 6.2 on a SUN Blade 2000 running Solaris 8.0 I'm having a weird backing store problem. I have an application in which I sometimes display very large images (eg 23123 x 3193 pixels). What I do is create a scrolled draw widget of the same size as the image and tv the image into that window. Then, I get to scroll around the image very rapidly without having to issue any commands to redraw the parts that become visible. It seems this should work fine as long as the video card has enough memory. However, the behavoir I am seeing seems as though IDL thinks the vide...

Re: DATASTEP Delete Row #5
the condition that is needed is that only rows that has col1, col2, col3, and col4 all not missing are included. in other words, if i have a row that has col1, but any of the other columns are missing, then i want to remove that row entirely... On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Gordon Cox <gordon.cox@gmail.com> wrote: > that would mean in mydata2 for example there are records that col2 has > missing values. You can either get rid of the missing records before the > join or add the line.. > if col2 = . and col3 = . and col4 = . then delete; /*this could be worded > sever...

A look back.
I was looking for some references as to when precisely the Radius Full Page Display was introduced and I found this: <http://www.archive.org/details/DesktopP1986> "The Computer Chronicles", the guest host of which was none other than Gary Kildall. Other guests on this show from October 16, 1986 included Michael Boich, President of Radius Inc. (there to show off their new Full Page Display) and Paul Brainerd of Aldus Corporation. They have a collection of the shows at archive.org, so that's just got to be worth a look! -- Alan Baker Vancouver, British Columbia &qu...

recording
Hi Guys, Is there a way to record the commands someone issues during a unix session into a file? Begin <1161184577.347395.265710@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com> On 2006-10-18, nick <cupofjava1961@aol.com> wrote: > Is there a way to record the commands someone issues during a unix > session into a file? If you want to inspect what someone else did there are several ways depending on system and setup, but that has legal pitfalls and should only be done by people who know what they are doing, if at all. If you want to make a record of what you did, script does that. See its m...

Appeals Court Backs Bush on Wiretaps
By PETE YOST, Associated Press Writer A federal appeals court sided with the Bush administration Friday on an electronic surveillance issue, making it easier to tap into Internet phone calls and broadband transmissions. The court ruled 2-1 in favor of the Federal Communications Commission, which says equipment using the new technologies must be able to accommodate police wiretaps under the 1994 Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, known as CALEA. Judge David Sentelle called the agency's reading of the law a reasonable interpretation. In dissent, Judge Harry Edw...

Blank record in subform
Hi all, I am having trouble with access adding a blank record to a subform everytime I finish entering data and closing the form. (The form and subform are based on the one table) When entering data into the subform I get the pencil icon to show data addition, but underneath the record I am inputting data the record is blank with a star(*)icon and this is the record(blank)that always gets saved with all the records that actually have data. I know that there must be something simple that I am overlooking, but for the life of me cannot work it out. Thanking all you geniuses out there in adv...

pgsql-server/src backend/catalog/index.c backe ...
CVSROOT: /cvsroot Module name: pgsql-server Changes by: petere@svr1.postgresql.org 03/09/28 21:05:25 Modified files: src/backend/catalog: index.c pg_proc.c src/backend/commands: dbcommands.c functioncmds.c indexcmds.c tablecmds.c typecmds.c user.c vacuum.c src/backend/parser: parse_coerce.c parse_func.c src/backend/port: sysv_shmem.c src/backend/rewrite: rewriteDefine.c src/backend/storage/freespace: freespace.c src/backend/storage/page: bufpage.c src/backend/tcop: postgres.c src/backend/utils/adt: formatting.c geo_ops.c mac.c nabstime.c ...

Re: Checking the record length of a file #2
Rune Try the following code which returns the length of each input record. Since I was not sure whether you wanted to write the record to flat files or SAS data sets, I did not put in that code. Nat Wooding Rune Runnestoe <rune@FASTLANE.NO To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > cc: Sent by: "SAS(r) Subject: Checking the record length of a file Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.U GA.EDU> ...

Record process cpu time?
Hello, I'm trying to figure out how much time a process spends using the processor resources: something equivalent to what is shown when running the unix time command. For instance, if the process took 1 second to run, I'd like to know how much time the process spent in user-mode code and kernel-mode code. Those 2 numbers would probably add up to something less than the 1 second total elapsed time it took the process to run. I've seen WMI functions that record the percentage of time a process spends in kernel mode or user mode, but those functions don't r...

Re: Deleting Date Values. #2
Hi, No issues,Here it is DATETIME22.3 Regards, Mahesh P On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Murphy Choy <goladin@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Forgive me for my lack of experience with date time. > > Can you check for me what is the format of the field date? > > -- > Regards, > Murphy Choy > > Certified Advanced Programmer for SAS V9 > Certified Basic Programmer for SAS V9 > DataShaping Certified SAS Professional > > > -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of > SUBSCRIBE SAS-L Joe...

back to the future! or the future is back?
synchronet BBS is running on ps2moussa telnet, or http use it with caution :-) Moussa -- The information contained in this post is copyright of the poster, and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com Hi Moussa ! > synchronet BBS is running on ps2moussa telnet, or http > use it with caution :-) Internet these days is largely business and entertainment. If it comes to exchange knowledge and informations nothing beats a newsgroup or a real BBS. And the more basic - the better. Keeping off the dancing balonies and HTML crap. Some...

Deleting Duplicate Tracks
I ask iTunes to show me duplicate music, and the result is 634 tracks, or almost 5.75 GB. Can I then select all of these so displayed and safely throw them into the trash, or will that delete all of them? Thanks. -- yitzhak mac mini 1,83 ghz | 1,5 GB | mac os x 10.4.11 iPhone 3G | 16 GB yitzhak goldstein wrote: > I ask iTunes to show me duplicate music, and the result is 634 tracks, > or almost 5.75 GB. > > Can I then select all of these so displayed and safely throw them into > the trash, or will that delete all of them? That feature shows you all versions of each...

Re: Duplicate records #7 1540068
SAS SQL provides a very general method for selecting duplicates (not limited to exact duplicates): proc sql; create table dups as select * from <dsn> [where <constraints>] [group by <ID's or attribures> having count(*)>1] ; quit; The square brackets enclose alternative clauses. Sig -----Original Message----- From: Yanal [mailto:fake@BYU.EDU] Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 2:19 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Duplicate records Is there a way other than using [proc sort data =xxxxx nodupkey;by ID; run;] to figure out if there are duplicate re...

Delete query?
Hi, I have a table like this: ColA ColB 22 Drink 22 Eat 22 Spill 23 Drink 23 Eat 24 Drink 24 Spill I want to delete all records for a number where ColB = Spill. For example, since 22 has a Spill Entry and 24 has a spill entry, it would delete all rows where ColA has 22 and where ColA has 24. I'm guessnig a SQL query would do this? Any help is very appreciated!! Thanks! On 14 Jul 2006 05:57:50 -0700, "dan" <itzdan262@gmail.com> wrote: delete * from MyTable where ColA in (select ColA from MyTa...

Back Projection Kernel
Hi Does anyone know how to create the back projection kernel for the IP algorithm, I am referring to the Irani Peleg method for Super Resolution. ...

operator delete(void *ptr, size_t size)
Hello all, What is an example of a circumstance where it would be useful to overload the form of operator delete with the second parameter (of type size_t)? i.e.: void operator delete(void *ptr, size_t size); Thanks, Dave "Dave" <better_cs_now@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:vp6lkk1neksk2d@news.supernews.com... > [...] > What is an example of a circumstance where it would be > useful to overload the form of operator delete with the > second parameter (of type size_t)? > i.e.: > > void operator delete(void *ptr, size_t size); If you were keeping lis...

deleting points from plot
hello i have the following code putting 'o' on the plot while but == 1 [x,y,but] = ginput(1); plot(x,y,'ro') NumAP = NumAP + 1; APLocation = [APLocation; [x,y]]; end suppose i have 5 points and i want to delete the 3rd one. how do i do that? thank you already solve it... "michael" <bezenchu@gmail.com> wrote in message <hp55bt$9hv$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > hello > > i have the following code putting 'o' on the plot > > while but == 1 > [x,y,but] = ginput(1); > plot(x,y,&...

PyBackend: A simple RDBMS backed object persistence framework
Hi! I am glad to announce the availability of an RDBMS backed object persistence framework in Python. It is in beta version, which means some hidden bugs may be there. It is available under GNU LGPL. So you can try it in your commercial applications too. Following are some of its features, straight ripped out from the project page: * It can store (as well as retrieve) attributes of objects in (from) a relational database supporting atomic transactions. * It allows you to map individual classes to corresponding databases. Hence an application can use multiple databases ...

Delete multiple files within sub directories?
Is there a way to delete multiple files using wildcards within the current and sub directories? For example, if I want to get rid of all files of the extension *.jpg, is there a way to delete these files from the subdirectories within one command line? Or do I need to go into each subdirectory and type "del *.jpg"? On 15 Mar 2007 15:58:20 -0700, "Jack" <mr_nice_1973@yahoo.com> wrote: >Is there a way to delete multiple files using wildcards within the >current and sub directories? For example, if I want to get rid of all >files of the extension *....

Back To Back Network
Hi Simple question. I have a desktop and a laptop both with network cards, and want to connect these two machines without using a hub, with a direct cable. I have rewired a net cable to do this, and both computers recognise the other, however, I seem unable to share files accross the connection. All I want to do is transfer files, I dont care about internet and printer shareing Anyone know what Im doing wrong? Thanks Jon Dallimore PS, not sure when I can get on here again due to work etc. Could people please email me? Dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk thanks On 21 Apr 2004 15:30:39 -0...