Backing up records as they are deleted

My users are asking for the ability to delete records.  However, there
is no undo for deleted records so I'm looking for some way to backup
records they delete.  Setting a field to mark records as deleted is a
problem since that change would affect all scripted finds, unless
someone knows a slick way to do that.

What I'm hoping for is a way to export the record some how, either into
a file or into another table.  I see problems here as well since the
fields in the table might change.  An xml file would preserve the field
info of the moment I suppose.

Another issue is that my database is hosted on a server.  If I script a
delete that exports to a file the file ends up on the user's computer
not my server.

Is there a better way or do I have some redesigning to do?

Russ

comp.databases.filemaker 11052 articles. 0 followers. amosw01 (46) is leader. Post Follow

For a similar problem I have created a clone of my first database, renamed
it backup and then created a delete script which transfers the data of the
current record to the backup file. then deleting the record.

Ursus

"Russ" <kosherpiggy@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> My users are asking for the ability to delete records.  However, there
> is no undo for deleted records so I'm looking for some way to backup
> records they delete.  Setting a field to mark records as deleted is a
> problem since that change would affect all scripted finds, unless
> someone knows a slick way to do that.
>
> What I'm hoping for is a way to export the record some how, either into
> a file or into another table.  I see problems here as well since the
> fields in the table might change.  An xml file would preserve the field
> info of the moment I suppose.
>
> Another issue is that my database is hosted on a server.  If I script a
> delete that exports to a file the file ends up on the user's computer
> not my server.
>
> Is there a better way or do I have some redesigning to do?
>
> Russ

0
ursus
3/8/2006 7:28:32 PM
If I hit the delete button and a message ask "Are you sure you want to
delete this client record?" and I click on "Yes" then I think I'm an
idiot if I didn't want it to delete that record.
I've heard of clients claiming info went missing until a deletion
tracking file was implemented which simply recorded the user, date,
time, and client name that was deleted.
If you insist on keeping the record that is to be deleted, you could
look into using record access privileges, possibly marking a "Deletion
Flag" field means the users nolonger have access to that record.  I
believe Finds will not find records that a user doesn't have access to
but you'll have to double check that for yourself.  This will however
mess things up for anyone loggedin with full access.

0
FP
3/9/2006 4:17:38 AM
ursus.kirk <secret@nowhere.com> wrote:

> "Russ" <kosherpiggy@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> > My users are asking for the ability to delete records. <...>
> > What I'm hoping for is a way to export the record some how, either into
> > a file or into another table.  I see problems here as well since the
> > fields in the table might change.  An xml file would preserve the field
> > info of the moment I suppose.
<...>
> > Is there a better way or do I have some redesigning to do?
> For a similar problem I have created a clone of my first database, renamed
> it backup and then created a delete script which transfers the data of the
> current record to the backup file. then deleting the record.

Even a more safe way: create a COPY of the database and upon delete set
a field to 'has been deleted'. Read back the field before deletion.
ard
0
ardpuntjonkeratxs4al