Compressing files

I have a database that is about 8MB in size, and no matter how much I
prune records and fields, it stays at about that size. I was
encouraged to see the option in Save A Copy As to create a compressed
version, however I am forbidden from saving on top of the current
file -- it must be to a different file.

I grew up in DOS, so I am averse to the familiar workaround of saving
a copy, closing the original, and then replacing it with the copy. Are
there any caveats to doing this, and if so, is there a better way to
compress an active database file?

Rick A.

0
Rick

It is done like this to avoid data loss in case something goes wrong with
the compression. All DBs go to extreme lengths to avoid data loss.

The only other way to force a compression is to make FileMaker Server run
out of disk space, and then it will begin pausing files to compress them
online.

LiFe.

"Rick Altman" <rick.a@nospamaltman.com> wrote in message
> I have a database that is about 8MB in size, and no matter how much I
> prune records and fields, it stays at about that size. I was
> encouraged to see the option in Save A Copy As to create a compressed
> version, however I am forbidden from saving on top of the current
> file -- it must be to a different file.
>
> I grew up in DOS, so I am averse to the familiar workaround of saving
> a copy, closing the original, and then replacing it with the copy. Are
> there any caveats to doing this, and if so, is there a better way to
> compress an active database file?
>

> Rick A.

0
LiFe
6/29/2003 1:30:18 AM
Rick,

Is this database on the Web?  I ask because in my work 8 Mb is small.
A Gigabyte gets unwieldy.

As for compressing, saving a compressed copy is acceptable and is
often used as a safer method of storing an undamaged database as a
backup. Compressing prevents Filemaker from trying to access the
files.  (It is a very bad idea to have multiple copies of files with
same names on your computer... Filemaker will occassinally seek them
out and open them instead of the file you intended... even over a
LAN).

"Rick Altman" <rick.a@nospamaltman.com> wrote in message news:<ub5La.36377$R73.6073@sccrnsc04>...
> I have a database that is about 8MB in size, and no matter how much I
> prune records and fields, it stays at about that size. I was
> encouraged to see the option in Save A Copy As to create a compressed
> version, however I am forbidden from saving on top of the current
> file -- it must be to a different file.
>
> I grew up in DOS, so I am averse to the familiar workaround of saving
> a copy, closing the original, and then replacing it with the copy. Are
> there any caveats to doing this, and if so, is there a better way to
> compress an active database file?
>

> Rick A.
0
DELETEriley