Conversion from 5.5 to 8.5 hangs on Step 5 - permissions?

Windows XP

Any advice?  Trying to convert a relatively large 5.5 database (1.5 GB)
to 8.5.  It gets through step 4 and updating indexes without too much
trouble, but seems to hand on step 5.  CPU usage is 100% - all
FileMaker Pro.  I let it run for 6 hours before i had to shut down my
machine and no progress seemed to have been made.  I tried copying the
target DB to see what had been done and after searching for bad blocks
(unused space?) it came up with an empty DB.

I don't have access to FileMaker 5.5 at this location and haven't been
able to find a trial version to download so I can tweak this file and
then upgrade it.

I'm going to try letting it run overnight, but if anyone has
suggestions on how to speed this up or what to look for to troubleshoot
this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

-Peter Schott

0
paschott (9)

No way to know what's going wrong without being able to work on the file(s)
in 5.5, which is no longer supported by FMI.

The large size for so few rows suggests some uncommonly large indices,
although that ought not cause any conversion problems. Proper migration
(where 'migration' means work on both sides of the actual conversion) often
means running the file(s) through MetaDataMagic and looking for migration
issues. The fact that it's hung at permissions doesn't necessarily mean that
permissions is the problem.

I doubt very much that running it overnight will make any difference. I
can't remember any conversion-- even those with a lot of files-- taking more
than a few hours on the outside.

Bear in mind that, even with this problem solved, it's also not a sure thing
that the converted file(s) will be ready to use, even without integrating
them as tables into one or a few files, assuming there is more than one to
start with.

Sorry to respond with mostly no's and maybe's, but you may have to engage
someone (not me) with pre-7 Filemaker and MDM, who can make better-armed run
at it.

--
John Weinshel
Datagrace

<paschott@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP
>
> Any advice?  Trying to convert a relatively large 5.5 database (1.5 GB)
> to 8.5.  It gets through step 4 and updating indexes without too much
> trouble, but seems to hand on step 5.  CPU usage is 100% - all
> FileMaker Pro.  I let it run for 6 hours before i had to shut down my
> machine and no progress seemed to have been made.  I tried copying the
> target DB to see what had been done and after searching for bad blocks
> (unused space?) it came up with an empty DB.
>
> I don't have access to FileMaker 5.5 at this location and haven't been
> able to find a trial version to download so I can tweak this file and
> then upgrade it.
>
> I'm going to try letting it run overnight, but if anyone has
> suggestions on how to speed this up or what to look for to troubleshoot
> this, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Peter Schott

0
john66 (117)
7/26/2006 11:20:35 PM
There might be an old fault lurking somewhere. Did the file ever crash and
you had to recover?

In general I feel it is better to rebuild your file, unless it is really
VERY simple. It will take the time, but you will be able to use all of 8.5
new functions. And you will get rid of any underlying problems.

--
Keep well,
Ursus

<paschott@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Windows XP
>
> Any advice?  Trying to convert a relatively large 5.5 database (1.5 GB)
> to 8.5.  It gets through step 4 and updating indexes without too much
> trouble, but seems to hand on step 5.  CPU usage is 100% - all
> FileMaker Pro.  I let it run for 6 hours before i had to shut down my
> machine and no progress seemed to have been made.  I tried copying the
> target DB to see what had been done and after searching for bad blocks
> (unused space?) it came up with an empty DB.
>
> I don't have access to FileMaker 5.5 at this location and haven't been
> able to find a trial version to download so I can tweak this file and
> then upgrade it.
>
> I'm going to try letting it run overnight, but if anyone has
> suggestions on how to speed this up or what to look for to troubleshoot
> this, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Peter Schott

0
ursus.kirk1 (595)
7/26/2006 11:35:57 PM
I don't know the structure and data, so the following may not be workable but is
it possible to (working from a copy, of course) export all fields for all records,
delete all records (or save an empty clone), then convert the empty database and
re-import the records?

Kent

paschott@gmail.com wrote:
> Windows XP
>
> Any advice?  Trying to convert a relatively large 5.5 database (1.5 GB)
> to 8.5.  It gets through step 4 and updating indexes without too much
> trouble, but seems to hand on step 5.  CPU usage is 100% - all
> FileMaker Pro.  I let it run for 6 hours before i had to shut down my
> machine and no progress seemed to have been made.  I tried copying the
> target DB to see what had been done and after searching for bad blocks
> (unused space?) it came up with an empty DB.
>
> I don't have access to FileMaker 5.5 at this location and haven't been
> able to find a trial version to download so I can tweak this file and
> then upgrade it.
>
> I'm going to try letting it run overnight, but if anyone has
> suggestions on how to speed this up or what to look for to troubleshoot
> this, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Peter Schott

As it is converting, FM creates a text log file (called 'Conversion.log'
in the same folder as the newly created FM file) that outlines each step
for each file, any major corrections that it makes along the way, and
errors that occur along the way.  It is possible that whatever is making
it freeze is happening before the error actually gets logged, but it'd
be worthwhile looking at the log to see maybe which file is is working
on, as well as any information you may be able to glean from it.

paschott@gmail.com wrote:
> Windows XP
>
> Any advice?  Trying to convert a relatively large 5.5 database (1.5 GB)
> to 8.5.  It gets through step 4 and updating indexes without too much
> trouble, but seems to hand on step 5.  CPU usage is 100% - all
> FileMaker Pro.  I let it run for 6 hours before i had to shut down my
> machine and no progress seemed to have been made.  I tried copying the
> target DB to see what had been done and after searching for bad blocks
> (unused space?) it came up with an empty DB.
>
> I don't have access to FileMaker 5.5 at this location and haven't been
> able to find a trial version to download so I can tweak this file and
> then upgrade it.
>
> I'm going to try letting it run overnight, but if anyone has
> suggestions on how to speed this up or what to look for to troubleshoot
> this, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Peter Schott

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles

FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
howard915 (251)
7/27/2006 3:48:31 AM
Yeah - Conversion.Log is currently 0 bytes.  The processor is still
pegged at 100% even after running overnight.  The first time I ran it I
had a "Process Aborted" type message, but I think that's because I hit
a key that stopped the process rather than something wrong with the
process itself.

-Pete

Howard Schlossberg wrote:
> As it is converting, FM creates a text log file (called 'Conversion.log'
> in the same folder as the newly created FM file) that outlines each step
> for each file, any major corrections that it makes along the way, and
> errors that occur along the way.  It is possible that whatever is making
> it freeze is happening before the error actually gets logged, but it'd
> be worthwhile looking at the log to see maybe which file is is working
> on, as well as any information you may be able to glean from it.
>
> paschott@gmail.com wrote:
> > Windows XP
> >
> > Any advice?  Trying to convert a relatively large 5.5 database (1.5 GB)
> > to 8.5.  It gets through step 4 and updating indexes without too much
> > trouble, but seems to hand on step 5.  CPU usage is 100% - all
> > FileMaker Pro.  I let it run for 6 hours before i had to shut down my
> > machine and no progress seemed to have been made.  I tried copying the
> > target DB to see what had been done and after searching for bad blocks
> > (unused space?) it came up with an empty DB.
> >
> > I don't have access to FileMaker 5.5 at this location and haven't been
> > able to find a trial version to download so I can tweak this file and
> > then upgrade it.
> >
> > I'm going to try letting it run overnight, but if anyone has
> > suggestions on how to speed this up or what to look for to troubleshoot
> > this, I'd really appreciate it.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > -Peter Schott
> >

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
> FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles
>
> FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
> Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance

0
paschott (9)
7/27/2006 3:28:06 PM
It would probably be possible if I had access to Filemaker 5.5.
However, I only have Filemaker 8.5 at this point.  That's why I was
wondering what my options were.  From what I can see, I can't get a
version of 5.5 from anywhere at this time so trying to repair/work
with/export from etc the existing file is kind of a moot point.

If anyone has a link for a 5.5 or 6.x trial download for Windows, I'm
open to trying it out.

-Pete

Kent wrote:
> I don't know the structure and data, so the following may not be workable but is
> it possible to (working from a copy, of course) export all fields for all records,
> delete all records (or save an empty clone), then convert the empty database and
> re-import the records?
>
> Kent
>
> paschott@gmail.com wrote:
> > Windows XP
> >
> > Any advice?  Trying to convert a relatively large 5.5 database (1.5 GB)
> > to 8.5.  It gets through step 4 and updating indexes without too much
> > trouble, but seems to hand on step 5.  CPU usage is 100% - all
> > FileMaker Pro.  I let it run for 6 hours before i had to shut down my
> > machine and no progress seemed to have been made.  I tried copying the
> > target DB to see what had been done and after searching for bad blocks
> > (unused space?) it came up with an empty DB.
> >
> > I don't have access to FileMaker 5.5 at this location and haven't been
> > able to find a trial version to download so I can tweak this file and
> > then upgrade it.
> >
> > I'm going to try letting it run overnight, but if anyone has
> > suggestions on how to speed this up or what to look for to troubleshoot
> > this, I'd really appreciate it.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > -Peter Schott

0
paschott (9)
7/27/2006 3:30:50 PM
I've converted some very large databases and have not seen it take more
than 3-4 hours.

You say it seems to freeze on step 5, which is "converting layout
images".  I realize you don't have 5.5 (or you can use FM6), but if you
did I would recommend going into layout mode, flipping from layout to
layout and make sure none of the layouts crash FM5.5.  If one of them
crashes it, note which layout number and delete it.  Or else look for
any images on your layouts and remove them before conversion (after
first saving a copy of the file, of course).  Then you can always copy
(from 5.5/6) and paste (to 8.5) after conversion.

But this is all reliant on you getting a copy of FM5.5 or 6.  Sorry I
can't be of much more help.

paschott@gmail.com wrote:
> Yeah - Conversion.Log is currently 0 bytes.  The processor is still
> pegged at 100% even after running overnight.  The first time I ran it I
> had a "Process Aborted" type message, but I think that's because I hit
> a key that stopped the process rather than something wrong with the
> process itself.
>
> -Pete
>
> Howard Schlossberg wrote:
>> As it is converting, FM creates a text log file (called 'Conversion.log'
>> in the same folder as the newly created FM file) that outlines each step
>> for each file, any major corrections that it makes along the way, and
>> errors that occur along the way.  It is possible that whatever is making
>> it freeze is happening before the error actually gets logged, but it'd
>> be worthwhile looking at the log to see maybe which file is is working
>> on, as well as any information you may be able to glean from it.
>>
>> paschott@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Windows XP
>>>
>>> Any advice?  Trying to convert a relatively large 5.5 database (1.5 GB)
>>> to 8.5.  It gets through step 4 and updating indexes without too much
>>> trouble, but seems to hand on step 5.  CPU usage is 100% - all
>>> FileMaker Pro.  I let it run for 6 hours before i had to shut down my
>>> machine and no progress seemed to have been made.  I tried copying the
>>> target DB to see what had been done and after searching for bad blocks
>>> (unused space?) it came up with an empty DB.
>>>
>>> I don't have access to FileMaker 5.5 at this location and haven't been
>>> able to find a trial version to download so I can tweak this file and
>>> then upgrade it.
>>>
>>> I'm going to try letting it run overnight, but if anyone has
>>> suggestions on how to speed this up or what to look for to troubleshoot
>>> this, I'd really appreciate it.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> -Peter Schott
>>>
>> --
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
>> FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles
>>
>> FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
>> Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles

FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
howard915 (251)
7/27/2006 4:10:55 PM
Actually, it mentioned security or permissions at this point.  I'm
almost positive it got through the images okay.  I know it finished the
indexes on or just after step 4.

I did manage to find a copy of 6.0 (German) and tried to open it, but
was told the file was corrupt.  I'm going to attempt to find a copy of
5.5 now as it could just be version specific.  Not really sure what my
options are at this point.  May have to contact FileMaker support to
see if they can do anything with it - just dreading that option.  It
was supposedly working when last used/backed up so I'm not quite sure
what is going on now.

-Pete

Howard Schlossberg wrote:
> I've converted some very large databases and have not seen it take more
> than 3-4 hours.
>
> You say it seems to freeze on step 5, which is "converting layout
> images".  I realize you don't have 5.5 (or you can use FM6), but if you
> did I would recommend going into layout mode, flipping from layout to
> layout and make sure none of the layouts crash FM5.5.  If one of them
> crashes it, note which layout number and delete it.  Or else look for
> any images on your layouts and remove them before conversion (after
> first saving a copy of the file, of course).  Then you can always copy
> (from 5.5/6) and paste (to 8.5) after conversion.
>
> But this is all reliant on you getting a copy of FM5.5 or 6.  Sorry I
> can't be of much more help.
>

> paschott@gmail.com wrote:
> > Yeah - Conversion.Log is currently 0 bytes.  The processor is still
> > pegged at 100% even after running overnight.  The first time I ran it I
> > had a "Process Aborted" type message, but I think that's because I hit
> > a key that stopped the process rather than something wrong with the
> > process itself.
> >
> > -Pete
> >
> > Howard Schlossberg wrote:
> >> As it is converting, FM creates a text log file (called 'Conversion.log'
> >> in the same folder as the newly created FM file) that outlines each step
> >> for each file, any major corrections that it makes along the way, and
> >> errors that occur along the way.  It is possible that whatever is making
> >> it freeze is happening before the error actually gets logged, but it'd
> >> be worthwhile looking at the log to see maybe which file is is working
> >> on, as well as any information you may be able to glean from it.

> >> --
> >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >> Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
> >> FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles
> >>
> >> FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
> >> Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance
> >

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
> FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles
>
> FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
> Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance

0
paschott (9)
7/27/2006 4:44:58 PM
paschott@gmail.com wrote:
> Actually, it mentioned security or permissions at this point.  I'm
> almost positive it got through the images okay.  I know it finished the
> indexes on or just after step 4.

You probably missed it flying through a few steps, then.  Indexes are at
step 8 and then access privileges are at step 9.

Indexes would have taken a while on a large database, but access
privileges should have flown by in a couple seconds.  So either you are
correct in that it froze on privileges or perhaps it got through
that...likely as well as value lists (step 10).

Step 11 is layouts, which can be tested in FM6 using the method
previously outlined.  Normally, this wouldn't have taken more than a
minute, or _maybe_ up to five minutes if you have an excessive number of
layouts (say, a few hundred or more).

Step 12 is scripts, which shouldn't take very long either (say, up to
five minutes, but usually much, much less)

Hope that helps...

> I did manage to find a copy of 6.0 (German) and tried to open it, but
> was told the file was corrupt.  I'm going to attempt to find a copy of
> 5.5 now as it could just be version specific.  Not really sure what my
> options are at this point.  May have to contact FileMaker support to
> see if they can do anything with it - just dreading that option.  It
> was supposedly working when last used/backed up so I'm not quite sure
> what is going on now.
>
> -Pete
>

> Howard Schlossberg wrote:
>> I've converted some very large databases and have not seen it take more
>> than 3-4 hours.
>>
>> You say it seems to freeze on step 5, which is "converting layout
>> images".  I realize you don't have 5.5 (or you can use FM6), but if you
>> did I would recommend going into layout mode, flipping from layout to
>> layout and make sure none of the layouts crash FM5.5.  If one of them
>> crashes it, note which layout number and delete it.  Or else look for
>> any images on your layouts and remove them before conversion (after
>> first saving a copy of the file, of course).  Then you can always copy
>> (from 5.5/6) and paste (to 8.5) after conversion.
>>
>> But this is all reliant on you getting a copy of FM5.5 or 6.  Sorry I
>> can't be of much more help.
>>

>> paschott@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Yeah - Conversion.Log is currently 0 bytes.  The processor is still
>>> pegged at 100% even after running overnight.  The first time I ran it I
>>> had a "Process Aborted" type message, but I think that's because I hit
>>> a key that stopped the process rather than something wrong with the
>>> process itself.
>>>
>>> -Pete

>> --
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
>> FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles
>>
>> FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
>> Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles

FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
howard915 (251)
7/27/2006 5:24:51 PM
Maybe I'm seeing something different.  I downloaded the trial version
of Filemaker 8.5 from the website.  When I try to open the *.fp5 file,
I am asked to convert it.  It renames that file to *Old.fp5 and begins
working on the new file (*.fp7).

It indicated that it was working on step 1 of 9 when I started, not 12
or more.  That is why I'm a little concerned.

Step 4 of the process came just before doing something to indexes (I
was watching it at the time).  It then hit Step 5 - something about
permissions and pegged the CPU at 100%.

Is there something wrong with my copy of Filemaker 8.5 that is putting
these steps out of order or possibly missing some steps?

Am I going about this the wrong way?  Is there another way other than
just trying to open the file in FM 8.5?

Thanks.

-Pete

Howard Schlossberg wrote:
> paschott@gmail.com wrote:
> > Actually, it mentioned security or permissions at this point.  I'm
> > almost positive it got through the images okay.  I know it finished the
> > indexes on or just after step 4.
>
> You probably missed it flying through a few steps, then.  Indexes are at
> step 8 and then access privileges are at step 9.
>
> Indexes would have taken a while on a large database, but access
> privileges should have flown by in a couple seconds.  So either you are
> correct in that it froze on privileges or perhaps it got through
> that...likely as well as value lists (step 10).
>
> Step 11 is layouts, which can be tested in FM6 using the method
> previously outlined.  Normally, this wouldn't have taken more than a
> minute, or _maybe_ up to five minutes if you have an excessive number of
> layouts (say, a few hundred or more).
>
> Step 12 is scripts, which shouldn't take very long either (say, up to
> five minutes, but usually much, much less)
>
> Hope that helps...
>

> > I did manage to find a copy of 6.0 (German) and tried to open it, but
> > was told the file was corrupt.  I'm going to attempt to find a copy of
> > 5.5 now as it could just be version specific.  Not really sure what my
> > options are at this point.  May have to contact FileMaker support to
> > see if they can do anything with it - just dreading that option.  It
> > was supposedly working when last used/backed up so I'm not quite sure
> > what is going on now.
> >
> > -Pete
> >

> > Howard Schlossberg wrote:
> >> I've converted some very large databases and have not seen it take more
> >> than 3-4 hours.
> >>
> >> You say it seems to freeze on step 5, which is "converting layout
> >> images".  I realize you don't have 5.5 (or you can use FM6), but if you
> >> did I would recommend going into layout mode, flipping from layout to
> >> layout and make sure none of the layouts crash FM5.5.  If one of them
> >> crashes it, note which layout number and delete it.  Or else look for
> >> any images on your layouts and remove them before conversion (after
> >> first saving a copy of the file, of course).  Then you can always copy
> >> (from 5.5/6) and paste (to 8.5) after conversion.
> >>
> >> But this is all reliant on you getting a copy of FM5.5 or 6.  Sorry I
> >> can't be of much more help.

> >> --
> >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >> Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
> >> FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles
> >>
> >> FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
> >> Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance
> >

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
> FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles
>
> FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
> Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance

0
paschott (9)
7/27/2006 6:37:14 PM
No, you are correct.  There are only 9 steps on that dialog.  I was
basing my step numbers on the final conversion log, which at least used
to correspond to the dialog steps.

Nonetheless, this would make step 4 indexes, step 5 is privileges, then
value lists, layouts and scripts, and then it does something with file
references again at the end.

It's odd that it isn't creating anything in your conversion.log file.

paschott@gmail.com wrote:
> Maybe I'm seeing something different.  I downloaded the trial version
> of Filemaker 8.5 from the website.  When I try to open the *.fp5 file,
> I am asked to convert it.  It renames that file to *Old.fp5 and begins
> working on the new file (*.fp7).
>
> It indicated that it was working on step 1 of 9 when I started, not 12
> or more.  That is why I'm a little concerned.
>
> Step 4 of the process came just before doing something to indexes (I
> was watching it at the time).  It then hit Step 5 - something about
> permissions and pegged the CPU at 100%.
>
> Is there something wrong with my copy of Filemaker 8.5 that is putting
> these steps out of order or possibly missing some steps?
>
> Am I going about this the wrong way?  Is there another way other than
> just trying to open the file in FM 8.5?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Pete
>

> Howard Schlossberg wrote:
>> paschott@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Actually, it mentioned security or permissions at this point.  I'm
>>> almost positive it got through the images okay.  I know it finished the
>>> indexes on or just after step 4.
>> You probably missed it flying through a few steps, then.  Indexes are at
>> step 8 and then access privileges are at step 9.
>>
>> Indexes would have taken a while on a large database, but access
>> privileges should have flown by in a couple seconds.  So either you are
>> correct in that it froze on privileges or perhaps it got through
>> that...likely as well as value lists (step 10).
>>
>> Step 11 is layouts, which can be tested in FM6 using the method
>> previously outlined.  Normally, this wouldn't have taken more than a
>> minute, or _maybe_ up to five minutes if you have an excessive number of
>> layouts (say, a few hundred or more).
>>
>> Step 12 is scripts, which shouldn't take very long either (say, up to
>> five minutes, but usually much, much less)
>>
>> Hope that helps...
>>

>>> I did manage to find a copy of 6.0 (German) and tried to open it, but
>>> was told the file was corrupt.  I'm going to attempt to find a copy of
>>> 5.5 now as it could just be version specific.  Not really sure what my
>>> options are at this point.  May have to contact FileMaker support to
>>> see if they can do anything with it - just dreading that option.  It
>>> was supposedly working when last used/backed up so I'm not quite sure
>>> what is going on now.
>>>
>>> -Pete

>> --
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
>> FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles
>>
>> FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
>> Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles

FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
howard915 (251)
7/27/2006 7:11:49 PM
Boy, I'd sure go back to the inability to open in the German 6. If it's
saying it's corrupted in 6, it's all-but-for-certain corupted in 5.5. Does
it offer you the chance to Recover the file(s)? If so, and I'm assuming the
language is not an obstacle, try Recovering and then try the conversion
again. If the file really is hosed, I suspect the rest of this discussion is
moot, as there's little likelihood of pinpointing the conversion issue.

--

"Howard Schlossberg" <howard@antispahm.fmprosolutions.com> wrote in message
> No, you are correct.  There are only 9 steps on that dialog.  I was basing
> my step numbers on the final conversion log, which at least used to
> correspond to the dialog steps.
>
> Nonetheless, this would make step 4 indexes, step 5 is privileges, then
> value lists, layouts and scripts, and then it does something with file
> references again at the end.
>
> It's odd that it isn't creating anything in your conversion.log file.
>

> paschott@gmail.com wrote:
>> Maybe I'm seeing something different.  I downloaded the trial version
>> of Filemaker 8.5 from the website.  When I try to open the *.fp5 file,
>> I am asked to convert it.  It renames that file to *Old.fp5 and begins
>> working on the new file (*.fp7).
>>
>> It indicated that it was working on step 1 of 9 when I started, not 12
>> or more.  That is why I'm a little concerned.
>>
>> Step 4 of the process came just before doing something to indexes (I
>> was watching it at the time).  It then hit Step 5 - something about
>> permissions and pegged the CPU at 100%.
>>
>> Is there something wrong with my copy of Filemaker 8.5 that is putting
>> these steps out of order or possibly missing some steps?
>>
>> Am I going about this the wrong way?  Is there another way other than
>> just trying to open the file in FM 8.5?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -Pete
>>

>> Howard Schlossberg wrote:
>>> You probably missed it flying through a few steps, then.  Indexes are at
>>> step 8 and then access privileges are at step 9.
>>>
>>> Indexes would have taken a while on a large database, but access
>>> privileges should have flown by in a couple seconds.  So either you are
>>> correct in that it froze on privileges or perhaps it got through
>>> that...likely as well as value lists (step 10).
>>>
>>> Step 11 is layouts, which can be tested in FM6 using the method
>>> previously outlined.  Normally, this wouldn't have taken more than a
>>> minute, or _maybe_ up to five minutes if you have an excessive number of
>>> layouts (say, a few hundred or more).
>>>
>>> Step 12 is scripts, which shouldn't take very long either (say, up to
>>> five minutes, but usually much, much less)
>>>
>>> Hope that helps...

>>> --
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
>>> FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles
>>>
>>> FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
>>> Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance
>>

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
> FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles
>
> FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
> Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance

0
john66 (117)
7/27/2006 10:46:34 PM
Well, the German version just offered the dialogue saying that it was
corrupt.  Filemaker support directed me to a link to download the
English 6.0 trial and I'll give that a try.  Perhaps that will offer a
"recover" option.  I'll see what I can do with that.

I'll report back if that makes a difference or not.  I really
appreciate all of the help everyone has offered here.

-Pete Schott

Datagrace wrote:
> Boy, I'd sure go back to the inability to open in the German 6. If it's
> saying it's corrupted in 6, it's all-but-for-certain corupted in 5.5. Does
> it offer you the chance to Recover the file(s)? If so, and I'm assuming the
> language is not an obstacle, try Recovering and then try the conversion
> again. If the file really is hosed, I suspect the rest of this discussion is
> moot, as there's little likelihood of pinpointing the conversion issue.
>
> --
> John Weinshel
> Datagrace
> Vashon Island, WA
> (206) 463-1634
> Associate Member, Filemaker Solutions Alliance
> Certified for Filemaker 8
> Certified for Filemaker 7
>

> "Howard Schlossberg" <howard@antispahm.fmprosolutions.com> wrote in message
> > No, you are correct.  There are only 9 steps on that dialog.  I was basing
> > my step numbers on the final conversion log, which at least used to
> > correspond to the dialog steps.
> >
> > Nonetheless, this would make step 4 indexes, step 5 is privileges, then
> > value lists, layouts and scripts, and then it does something with file
> > references again at the end.
> >
> > It's odd that it isn't creating anything in your conversion.log file.
> >

> > paschott@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Maybe I'm seeing something different.  I downloaded the trial version
> >> of Filemaker 8.5 from the website.  When I try to open the *.fp5 file,
> >> I am asked to convert it.  It renames that file to *Old.fp5 and begins
> >> working on the new file (*.fp7).
> >>
> >> It indicated that it was working on step 1 of 9 when I started, not 12
> >> or more.  That is why I'm a little concerned.
> >>
> >> Step 4 of the process came just before doing something to indexes (I
> >> was watching it at the time).  It then hit Step 5 - something about
> >> permissions and pegged the CPU at 100%.
> >>
> >> Is there something wrong with my copy of Filemaker 8.5 that is putting
> >> these steps out of order or possibly missing some steps?
> >>
> >> Am I going about this the wrong way?  Is there another way other than
> >> just trying to open the file in FM 8.5?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> -Pete

> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
> > FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles
> >
> > FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
> > Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance

0
paschott (9)
7/28/2006 2:52:55 AM
Huh? There's an English 6 trial? I thought they stopped supporting 6 when 8
was released, about a year ago. Would you mind posting the URL?

Yes, Recover is available in the File menu, and you can get to it even when
there are no files open.

--

> Well, the German version just offered the dialogue saying that it was
> corrupt.  Filemaker support directed me to a link to download the
> English 6.0 trial and I'll give that a try.  Perhaps that will offer a
> "recover" option.  I'll see what I can do with that.
>
> I'll report back if that makes a difference or not.  I really
> appreciate all of the help everyone has offered here.
>
> -Pete Schott
>

> Datagrace wrote:
>> Boy, I'd sure go back to the inability to open in the German 6. If it's
>> saying it's corrupted in 6, it's all-but-for-certain corupted in 5.5.
>> Does
>> it offer you the chance to Recover the file(s)? If so, and I'm assuming
>> the
>> language is not an obstacle, try Recovering and then try the conversion
>> again. If the file really is hosed, I suspect the rest of this discussion
>> is
>> moot, as there's little likelihood of pinpointing the conversion issue.
>>
>> --
>> John Weinshel
>> Datagrace
>> Vashon Island, WA
>> (206) 463-1634
>> Associate Member, Filemaker Solutions Alliance
>> Certified for Filemaker 8
>> Certified for Filemaker 7
>>

>> "Howard Schlossberg" <howard@antispahm.fmprosolutions.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > No, you are correct.  There are only 9 steps on that dialog.  I was
>> > basing
>> > my step numbers on the final conversion log, which at least used to
>> > correspond to the dialog steps.
>> >
>> > Nonetheless, this would make step 4 indexes, step 5 is privileges, then
>> > value lists, layouts and scripts, and then it does something with file
>> > references again at the end.
>> >
>> > It's odd that it isn't creating anything in your conversion.log file.

>> > --
>> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> > Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
>> > FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles
>> >
>> > FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
>> > Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance

0
john66 (117)
7/28/2006 3:13:36 AM
I got the link from Filemaker, but not sure if they want it public or
not.  If you need it they can provide it to you.  If I'd realized
"Recover" was a separate menu option, I may have tried choosing that
from the menu from the foreign language version as that was all I
really needed to do with the program.  I just didn't realize Recover
was a different action than opening the file.

We did manage to get things running again and I was able to upgrade it
to 8.5.  Now if I could figure out the ODBC interface, I'd be all set.
At this point, I have no idea whether the drivers are for 6.x or 8.5 -
just know that I can't see any tables when trying to get to them
through DTS/SSIS in SQL Server.

-Pete