Creating a picture database

Hello everyone,

I am new to Filemaker, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a
problem.  I am trying to make a database of several thousand pictures for a
hospital.  I can't figure out a way to efficiently and automatically import
the pictures.

The pictures are sorted into folders by patient name.  The pictures
themselves are arbitrarily numbered but the folders contain the first name,
last name, and hospital number.  I currently have two related databases: one
for Patients and one for Pictures.

The Patient database has a field for Patient No.(arbitrary serial number I
assign), First Name, Last Name, and Hospital Number (all contained within
the path of each picture).

The Picture database contains a picture number (arbitrary serial number),
picture container, file name, file path, and look up fields with the First
Name, Last Name, Hospital No., and Patient No.  There are also some other
fields, to be entered later, with information about the pictures.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I could automate this data entry?  Any
help would be greatly appreciated, and probably save me weeks of work!

This is how I'm currently entering data:  I manually enter records into the
Patient database, one record at a time.  The Patient No. is an automatically
entered serial number, but the First, Last, and Hosp. No. I copy directly
from the folder names.  Then, I do a batch import (File/Import
Records/Folder), choose a folder, and setup the Patient No. field to
auto-enter the Patient No. corresponding to that folder (the Patient No.
field is match field).  This automatically imports all the pictures in
(only) that folder and automatically looks up the patient name and hospital
number.  This is very time consuming, as there are over 650 patients
(folders) and some folders contain many pictures which I must sit and wait
to import before I can do the next folder.  I also must manually increment
the auto-entered Patient No. for each folder.  Using a serial number didn't
work because it incremented the Patient No. for each record (picture) which
I want to be the same for every picture within a folder.

The files are organized like this:
file://G4 HD/Users/Shared/Pictures Shared/Patients/LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME
1234567/2003_123153.JPG
1234567=hospital number

One idea I had is finding a way to import the path names of the folders to
the Patient database, then using calculation fields to parse the path name
into the individual pieces of data I need.  Is this a good approach?

If my problem is unclear in any way, or you need more info to help me,
please don't hesitate to ask.  If you can think of any better way I can do
this please tell me, it would really help me.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Jason Eisenberg

if you are using FMP 6, then look at the import folder function, this will
import pictures, filename, and filepath.
File>Import records> folder

you can write  a simple script to initiate the import

As the folders contain patient name and URL , then these can be parsed from the
filepath field with calc fields. Better to create separate calc fields, then
check what is happening, then script transfer the checked data from the calcs
to the existing hard data name etc. fields. The exact detail of the calc syntax
will require an example of the filename. The naming convention will also need
to be standardised.

Avoiding manual entry duplication of the elements contained  in the picture
file names  is achievable

Chris Brown
Neurosurgery
University of Adelaide

"A. Jason Eisenberg" wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new to Filemaker, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a
> problem.  I am trying to make a database of several thousand pictures for a
> hospital.  I can't figure out a way to efficiently and automatically import
> the pictures.
>
> The pictures are sorted into folders by patient name.  The pictures
> themselves are arbitrarily numbered but the folders contain the first name,
> last name, and hospital number.  I currently have two related databases: one
> for Patients and one for Pictures.
>
> The Patient database has a field for Patient No.(arbitrary serial number I
> assign), First Name, Last Name, and Hospital Number (all contained within
> the path of each picture).
>
> The Picture database contains a picture number (arbitrary serial number),
> picture container, file name, file path, and look up fields with the First
> Name, Last Name, Hospital No., and Patient No.  There are also some other
> fields, to be entered later, with information about the pictures.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about how I could automate this data entry?  Any
> help would be greatly appreciated, and probably save me weeks of work!
>
> This is how I'm currently entering data:  I manually enter records into the
> Patient database, one record at a time.  The Patient No. is an automatically
> entered serial number, but the First, Last, and Hosp. No. I copy directly
> from the folder names.  Then, I do a batch import (File/Import
> Records/Folder), choose a folder, and setup the Patient No. field to
> auto-enter the Patient No. corresponding to that folder (the Patient No.
> field is match field).  This automatically imports all the pictures in
> (only) that folder and automatically looks up the patient name and hospital
> number.  This is very time consuming, as there are over 650 patients
> (folders) and some folders contain many pictures which I must sit and wait
> to import before I can do the next folder.  I also must manually increment
> the auto-entered Patient No. for each folder.  Using a serial number didn't
> work because it incremented the Patient No. for each record (picture) which
> I want to be the same for every picture within a folder.
>
> The files are organized like this:
> file://G4 HD/Users/Shared/Pictures Shared/Patients/LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME
> 1234567/2003_123153.JPG
> 1234567=hospital number
>
> One idea I had is finding a way to import the path names of the folders to
> the Patient database, then using calculation fields to parse the path name
> into the individual pieces of data I need.  Is this a good approach?
>
> If my problem is unclear in any way, or you need more info to help me,
> please don't hesitate to ask.  If you can think of any better way I can do
> this please tell me, it would really help me.
>
> Thank you for any suggestions.
>
> Jason Eisenberg

0
Chris
6/27/2003 2:58:54 AM
Chris Brown,

Your suggestions proved invaluable and I seem to be making progress.  Thank
you very much for your help.

Could you look at my progress so far, and suggest how I proceed?

I used the import folder function to import pictures and file paths (not
all, just a few folders to test. All folders is an overnight job)

Then I parsed the data from the path name using the following calc fields:

"Source" field to extract important data from Path Name:

Left( Right(File Path, Length(File Path) - (Position(File Path,
"Patients/",1,1) + 8)) ,
Position( Right(File Path, Length(File Path) - (Position(File Path,
"Patients/",1,1) + 8)) ,
"/",1,1)-1)

Last name: Left(Source, Position(Source, ",",1,1)-1)

First Name and Hospital Number are similar.

Now that I have the data parsed in calc fields, you suggested I script
transfer the data from calcs to existing hard data fields.  I don't know how
to use scripts yet and was wondering if making the hard data fields a lookup
field would work?

Also, once I have all the patient data in the First, Last, Hospital No.
fields, how do I create the Patient records in the patient database based on
this data such that there is only one Patient record for each patient?  This
is the step that has me totally stumped.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated and I'll buy you a beer if you're ever in Seattle.

Thank you

Jason Eisenberg
Burn Research Assistant
University of Washington Burn Center