Filemaker 6, Serial number and ODBC #2

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi all,

I'm inserting into a FM6 table via ODBC, and the table has a
non-modifyable serial number (auto-entered).

any idea how i can get the value of that column for the record i just
inserted?

Thanks
Andy

0
Reply ajohnstone (24) 6/22/2005 4:01:49 PM

See related articles to this posting

Just put the serial-number field on your layout. Or isn't that what you
need?

Ursus

"Andy" <ajohnstone@capcitypress.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi all,
>
> I'm inserting into a FM6 table via ODBC, and the table has a
> non-modifyable serial number (auto-entered).
>
> any idea how i can get the value of that column for the record i just
> inserted?
>
> Thanks
> Andy

0
Reply ursus 6/22/2005 9:11:20 PM

ursus,

I'm accessing soley through ODBC... so no layouts involved.

What i did is basically the equivolent of the @@IDENTITY variable in
SQL Server.

I *could* do the insert, and then Select Max( ID ) FROM table... but
i'm not sure that guarantees me the ID of the row I just inserted (as
opposed to a row inserted *after* my insert, but *before* my select).

Hope that clears what I'm looking for up a bit.

Andy

0
Reply Andy 6/23/2005 12:59:10 PM

I am absolutely a nitwit regarding ODBC. But what I gather is that you want
to see a value inside FMP before through a ADBC connection. I don't think
that would be possible.

have you tried the FMP helpfile? it has some info on how to use OBDC. This
is the list of instructions and elements that FMP can handle. It sdoesn't
mention the @@IDENTITY. But as I don't know anything about OBDC I could be
talking rubbish.

SELECT
INSERT (ook in een subopvraag)
UPDATE
DELETE
CREATE TABLE
DROP TABLE
ALTER TABLE
CREATE INDEX
DROP INDEX
FROM-instruction
ORDER BY-instruction
GROUP BY-instruction
HAVING-instruction
WHERE-instruction
UNION-operator
FOR UPDATE-instruction
: SUM, AVG, COUNT, MAX, MIN
DISTINCT SQL-operator
Inner Join-instructions
Left Outer Join-instructions
Subopvragen
Scalaire instructions
Current of Cursor-instructions
ROW ID

> ursus,
>
> I'm accessing soley through ODBC... so no layouts involved.
>
> What i did is basically the equivolent of the @@IDENTITY variable in
> SQL Server.
>
> I *could* do the insert, and then Select Max( ID ) FROM table... but
> i'm not sure that guarantees me the ID of the row I just inserted (as
> opposed to a row inserted *after* my insert, but *before* my select).
>
> Hope that clears what I'm looking for up a bit.
>
> Andy

0
Reply ursus 6/23/2005 1:21:41 PM

ursus,

Yes, I've looked through the help, and haven't found what I need, which
is why I'm asking here if and how it can be done.

The best I could do is a select immediately after the insert.. but I'm
not sure that would ensure I have the row i inserted, and not someone
else.

Thanks
Andy

0
Reply Andy 6/23/2005 2:10:11 PM

If you use a log-in system for your fmp file,  (accounts & privileges) you
could do the following.

Create a script that
Imports your original ODBC record-serial-number together with all the data
you need for the record
then puts the original ODBC record-serial-number into a global field.

With a user based system, globals are user-specific. So gMyGlobal can hold a
value of UrsusSerial on my console (computer in the network) and at the same
time hold a completely different value AndysSerial on your console. This way
you will allways know what serial came out of the ODBC connection and that
you are the one that put it there in the first place. Be aware that normally
globals are stored when you shutdown a file. But with multi-user systems
only the last one gets stored. But then again you should almost never rely
on globals to hold data that does change to be retrieved in a new session.

> ursus,
>
> Yes, I've looked through the help, and haven't found what I need, which
> is why I'm asking here if and how it can be done.
>
> The best I could do is a select immediately after the insert.. but I'm
> not sure that would ensure I have the row i inserted, and not someone
> else.
>
> Thanks
> Andy

0
Reply ursus 6/23/2005 4:13:09 PM

Why don't you create a unique ID in your SQL database and send that to
FileMaker along with the other information. Then when you wanted to get
FM's unique ID, you could do

SELECT filemakerID FROM Table WHERE sqlID = 'known ID'

When you're synchronizing between two databases, it's a commonly used
technique to have a different unique identifier for each one that you
replicate on both sides. This has added benefits, such as the ability
to tell if a record has been synchronized (look to see if both ID
fields are populated).

Kevin

0
Reply audleman 6/23/2005 5:01:50 PM

Kevin & ursus,

Sorry, I think I created more confusion then I cleared :-)

I don't have any other DBs right now.. FM6 is the sole database
provider, I'm just writing an application to be a front end to the
database..

I threw out the @@IDENTITY from SQL server just to ask if there's
anything similar in FM ODBC, since thats basically the functionality
I'm looking for.

Andy

0
Reply Andy 6/24/2005 2:40:48 PM
comp.databases.filemaker 10780 articles. 18 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Filemaker 6, Serial number and ODBC
Hi all, I'm inserting a record via ODBC into filemaker and the table has a AutoEnter Serial that can't be modified. After I do the insert, I'd like to find out what the serial number was assigned to, so that I can continue working with it (or insert related rows). In SQL Server I have @@IDENTITY, anything similar for filemaker? Thanks Andy ...

[wxGTK 2.6.1 Gtk+ 2 Debian Sarge 2.6] ODBC problems
I compiled wxGTK to use system iODBC driver, and I want to connect to Postgresql database. Connecting to postgres with iodbc manualy works, but when I try to connect with an example wxWidgets program I get a strange error: TABLE CREATION ERROR: ODBC errors: SQL State = 01S02 Native Error Code = 16 Error Message = cursor updatability changed As far as I can tell it connects to database, but then something goes wrong :( Anyone know how could I fix this? Source code is from documentation with small modifications: // -----------------------------------------------------...

Serial port---vxWorks 6.6 #2
Hi I am using vxworks 6.6 workbench 3.0. our bsp supports 2 serial port but v need 4 serial ports to b enabled I made the following changes in the BSP N_UART_CHANNEL --4 in pc.h file. In sysSerial.c I made entry for all the four ports . Note: I use the same procedure for vxworks 6.4..Its working fine. Thanks in Advance Regards, Papi ...

[ace-users] ACE 6.2.6/TAO 2.2.6 RPMs available on OBS
Hi, Through the OpenSuSE build service we are providing RPMs for ACE/TAO. We have updated OBS this morning, RPMs for the various distributions are appearing online. For more details see http://www.orbzone.org/node/344 Best regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Support and services for ATCD http://www.theaceorb.nl ...

[tao-announce] ACE 6.2.6/TAO 2.2.6 RPMs available on OBS
Hi, Through the OpenSuSE build service we are providing RPMs for ACE/TAO. We have updated OBS this morning, RPMs for the various distributions are appearing online. For more details see http://www.orbzone.org/node/344 Best regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Support and services for ATCD http://www.theaceorb.nl ...

[ace-announce] ACE 6.2.6/TAO 2.2.6 RPMs available on OBS
Hi, Through the OpenSuSE build service we are providing RPMs for ACE/TAO. We have updated OBS this morning, RPMs for the various distributions are appearing online. For more details see http://www.orbzone.org/node/344 Best regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Support and services for ATCD http://www.theaceorb.nl ...

[tao-users] ACE 6.2.6/TAO 2.2.6 RPMs available on OBS
Hi, Through the OpenSuSE build service we are providing RPMs for ACE/TAO. We have updated OBS this morning, RPMs for the various distributions are appearing online. For more details see http://www.orbzone.org/node/344 Best regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Support and services for ATCD http://www.theaceorb.nl ...

Slow tcp handshakes rate of 2.6.20 or 2.6.18 (after 2.6.18.8)
Hi, In these days I met a strange situation, tcp handshake rate is slow after 2.6.18.8. Server accepts connections, and records number of successful tcp handshakes during last 10 seconds. Client tries to connect to server's listen port as fast as possible and as many as possible, or in simple words, connect() floods server. Server's performances varied, depending on which kernel it running. On 2.6.18, 10000 successful connections take about 30-40 seconds, while on 2.6.20 or 2.6.19, it will cost about more than 5 minutes. It seems there is some a mechanism which prevent ...

Upgrade of Xalan 1.2.2 and Xerces 1.4.4 to Xalan 2.6 and Xerces 2.6.2
I've been tasked with upgrading the JVM from 1.3 to 1.4, and the third party libraries used by my company on our existing Java framework. I'm most worried about any problems that may occur due to upgrading Xalan and Xerces as our framework performs much XML transformation and processing. Does anyone have a link to known issues with such an upgrade (besides the Xalan / Xerces sites) ? Or has anyone done such an upgrade and can share their pearls of wisdom? Thanks Chris ...

[wx 2.6.2]
------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C64812.96E29240 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, any standard cross-platform (wx) way to do serial communication under Windows and Linux? Alfonso ------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C64812.96E29240 Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <html xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" = xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" = xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC...

how to go back from 2.6.4 to 2.6.2 under windows ?
hello, I've just upgraded my system from Python 2.5 to 2.6.4, and installed the latest packages of a lot of libraries. Now one essential package (VPython) only works with Python 2.6.2. I tried to install Python 2.6.2 over this 2.6.4 installation, and indeed the readme file says it's 2.6.2, but the python and pythonw are still 2.6.4. Why is that so ?? Now assume that a number of packages (because compiled with 2.6.4) will not work correctly with 2.6.2. Is that correct ? So the best way would be to reinstall everything ?? thanks, Stef Mientki ...

What changes about painting between 2.6.0 and 2.6.1. #2
Hi, Our project uses wxWidgets 2.6.0 to custom a control that likes Windows XP's left panel. To reach to progessive expanding effect, we overload the EVT_PAINT and call MoveWindow when expand or unexpand the menu. This works fine on wxWidgets 2.6.0. Recently, we update wx to 2.6.1. Every thing is fine except the repainting result glittering. Maybe it is caused by the 2.6.1 changes. How should we do to kill the glittering when repainting? Thanks in advance. He Hongfu 2005-9-11 --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-m...

Does anyone know the serial number for realpro-2.2 by CoGenTex
RealPro Syntactic Realization Framework Evaluation Edition, Version 2.2 for English developed by CoGenTex, Inc I have downloaded realpro-2.2. But this java program does not run without a serial number. I have sent several emails to cogentex to apply for a serial number. But I have not received any reply so far. So does any one know the serial number of realpro-2.2(for evaluation purpose only) ? Thanks in advance! ...

wx/GTK ComboBox change between 2.6.2 and 2.6.3
Hi, I want to move my application to wxWidgets 2.6.3 but unfortunately, all ComboBox widgets don't work as "standard" ComboBox on Linux platforms with this new version (the pop-up list is too large, often misplaced). I can reproduce this problem with the "samples/widgets" example. Do we have to change something in our application code? Or do you plan to fix this problem? Thanks for your great job. Ir�ne. ----- Ir�ne Vatton INRIA Rh�ne-Alpes INRIA ZIRST e-mail: Irene.Vatton@inria.fr 655 ave...

Serial Device Driver architecture changs from 2.4 to 2.6?
Hi, Can anyone please point to me a place/url where I can find the basic architectural changes for the serial drivers between 2.4 and 2.6 kernels? It used to be a single serial.c file under drivers/char but now there are around 40+ files under drivers/serial directory. Is there any document/readme which gives any info on this new architecture (break-up)? Thanks in advance. Your help in this regard is highly appreciated. regards, Ravi. ...

Serial number #2
i want to generate a number that is unique for a machine.I decided to get hdd serial. But i have to find more than that.which hardware numbers can i take? how? tardas wrote:> i want to generate a number that is unique for a machine.> I decided to get hdd serial. But i have to find more than that.> which hardware numbers can i take? how?Please do not multi-post (the placement of the same message independently in multiple newsgroups). It fragments the thread and frustrates folks who are trying to help you.If you absolutely feel the overwhelming need to reach multiple groups, which you ...

serial number #2
hi all how can i have my flash memory or drive serial number? thank you On 3/12/2012 4:54 AM, siamanesh wrote: > hi all > how can i have my flash memory or drive serial number? > thank you the serial number is normally located on the back or below the drive itself. On a sticker. So, Just turn the memory stick or the disk to its side and look below it, you should be able to find it. --Nasser On Monday, March 12, 2012 10:54:13 PM UTC+13, siamanesh wrote: > hi all > how can i have my flash memory or drive serial number? > thank you With fries please. "siamanesh&q...

wxCheckBox: perhaps a label bug in wx 2.6.2/2.6.3RC1 ???
Hello, when I set the label of a wxCheckBox with SetLabel("blabla"), then the displayed text is of the same length as the text given in the constructor of the checkbox. For example: If in the c-tor the label has 3 characters and with SetLabel() the label is set to a value containing more than 3 characters, only the first 3 are displayed. I tried it with wx version 2.6.2 and 2.6.3RC1 under winXP/SP2 with Visual C++ 2005 express edition in Debug build (2.6.2), Debug and Release build (2.6.3RC1) A simple piece of code: bool myApp::OnInit() { wxDialog * d = new ...

different maximum Java -Xmx on kernel 2.6.9 (RedHat 4 update 2) and 2.6.22 (CentOS 5.2)
Hi, I recently upgraded a 32bit RedHat 4 machine (with 4GB RAM) with kernel 2.6.9 to CentOS 5.2 32bit. When it was still on RedHat I was able to run a Java application with the -Xmx3500m flag. However on CentOS with kernel 2.6.22, it does not allow me to reserve more than - Xmx2622m. Can anyone please explain to me why this is and how I can get it to work with 3500m? Thanks! At Sun, 29 Mar 2009 09:02:15 -0700 (PDT) mail2joni@gmail.com wrote: > > Hi, > > I recently upgraded a 32bit RedHat 4 machine (with 4GB RAM) with > kernel 2.6.9 to CentOS 5.2 32bit. When it was still on...

different maximum Java -Xmx on kernel 2.6.9 (RedHat 4 update 2) and 2.6.22 (CentOS 5.2)
Hi, I recently upgraded a 32bit RedHat 4 machine (with 4GB RAM) with kernel 2.6.9 to CentOS 5.2 32bit. When it was still on RedHat I was able to run a Java application with the -Xmx3500m flag. However on CentOS with kernel 2.6.22 (PAE), it does not allow me to reserve more than -Xmx2622m even though 'free' shows that there is enough memory available: # free total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 4074980 161636 3913344 0 13740 117696 -/+ buffers/cache: 30200 4044780 Swap: 2031608...

ODBC lock Problem Btrieve 6.15 and Pervasive ODBC Driver 2.x
hello, first my english is bad. i have write a windows application that connect via pervasive odbc 2.x to a btrieve 6.15 database, when the application is startet from 5 pc the 6 start from pc 6 don't work, the btrieve tabel or database is locked? have btrieve 6.15 via odbc a conenction limit of 5 user ? can i set a higher max connection? is the odbc driver the limit? greetings js There was a special "Developer" version of Btrieve 6.15 that some developers incorrectly sent to their customers. The Developer engine had a limit of 5 users in it. You should be able to ch...

Upgrade from VO 1 - 2 - 2..1 -2.2 - 2.3 -2.4 - 2.5 - 2.6 - 2.7
About upgrade 2.5 - 2.7 at $ 384.00 For most products I'm using - the updates (2.0 - 2.1 - 2.7) are free... 2.0 to 3.0 might be worth + 10-30% of the original price? VO is + full price again & again - Full program price for every minor upgrade/bug-fix? I dropped out of the money/bugs [VO] at 2.5 after starting at 1.0 more than 10 years ago. Certainly whoever is making VO have to make a living; earning moneys: - that is OK! A 10 years old VO site; - 10 years later, how much have changed? http://www.yi.com/prany/cavo/cavofront.htm Even MS is not ...

MySQLdb 1.2.2 + python 2.6.2
Hi all, Are MySQLdb 1.2.2 and python 2.6.2 compatible? I went to http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=22307, it doesn't say it is compatible or not. When trying to install MySQLdb 1.2.2 on my machine which is running python 2.6.2 and windows XP, I get this error below. I am able to install MySQLdb 1.2.2 successfully on another machine which is running python 2.5.4 and windows XP. Please help if you have any idea. C:\temp>easy_install MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.5-win32.egg Processing MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.5-win32.egg Removing c:\python26\lib\site-packages\MySQL_python-...

errors during clan-2.0.3 on linux 2.6.6-1.435.2.3
Hi, I'm trying to compile clan-2.0.3 drivers on kernel version 2.6.6-1.435.2.3. I'm getting erros on some missing files (see below). I installed the kernel sources prior to compiling the clan drivers. Any help in this will be greatly appreciated clan1k.c:49:27: linux/wrapper.h: No such file or directory clan1k.c:50:26: linux/tqueue.h: No such file or directory /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.3/build/include/asm/irq.h:16:25: irq_vectors.h: No such file or directory /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.3/build/include/linux/irq.h:70: error: `NR_IRQS' undeclared here (not in a function...