FileMaker Pro 9 OS X Defining text fields and numerical fields to aviod the quote in the fields to avoid it from exporting out to an Excel Spreadsheet or Text File.

I have been reading the help files in FileMaker Pro 9 about Text
formats but have yet to find my solution, perhaps there is not one or
it is a formula that is beyond my scope at this time.

I have fields that are strictly numbers and the fields have been
defined for numbers and I have no " around the text.

I have field I have defined as text for it is a mix of text and number
or text and non text characters such as / or ? or . or , or * and the
like and they get " " in the field.  I want to prevent that.

How do I do this where none of my input gets the open and closing
double quotes and is just standard text and numerical and non
alphanumerical characters without double quotes.

How do I define the fields so I don't get these quotes?

I export to Excel and then I have to remove the quotes, I use BBEdit
but we are talking large columns of data several column wide that have
to be copied and pasted into BBEdit then have the quoted removed.

Lee38

"Lee39" <sargenkenospammin@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>I have been reading the help files in FileMaker Pro 9 about Text
> formats but have yet to find my solution, perhaps there is not one or
> it is a formula that is beyond my scope at this time.
>
> I have fields that are strictly numbers and the fields have been
> defined for numbers and I have no " around the text.
>
> I have field I have defined as text for it is a mix of text and number
> or text and non text characters such as / or ? or . or , or * and the
> like and they get " " in the field.  I want to prevent that.
>
> How do I do this where none of my input gets the open and closing
> double quotes and is just standard text and numerical and non
> alphanumerical characters without double quotes.
>
> How do I define the fields so I don't get these quotes?
>
> I export to Excel and then I have to remove the quotes, I use BBEdit
> but we are talking large columns of data several column wide that have
> to be copied and pasted into BBEdit then have the quoted removed.
>
> Lee38

Try switching between tab and csv delimited

Keep well, Ursus

0
ursus.kirk1 (595)
9/26/2007 10:43:42 PM
In article <46fae079$0$59907$dbd45001@news.wanadoo.nl>, Ursus
<ursus.kirk@wanadoo.nl> wrote:

> Try switching between tab and csv delimited

I save file to XLS.  To get CSV you have to Export.

Either way it does not work.  Still get quotes.

Leon
In article <260920072040553258%sargenkenospammin@hotmail.com>, Lee39
<sargenkenospammin@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In article <46fae079$0$59907$dbd45001@news.wanadoo.nl>, Ursus
> <ursus.kirk@wanadoo.nl> wrote:
>
> > Try switching between tab and csv delimited
>
> I save file to XLS.  To get CSV you have to Export.
>
> Either way it does not work.  Still get quotes.

Quotes have to be used to enclose text in both of those file formats -
the importing application then knows to keep together all the text
within the quotes. Some applications will remove these quotes when
inmporting, but others do import them.

If you don't want quotes (other than those you purposely type into the
field), then you need to use the Tab delimited Text File option in the
Export window instead of CSV. This format will of course convert any
Tab characters within the text fields into something else (I forget
exactly what).

By the way, the subject of messages should be short rather thanasking
the entire question. Most newsreaders won't display more than 20-30
characters in the subject.  :o)

Helpful Harry
Hopefully helping harassed humans happily handle handiwork hardships  ;o)
0
helpful_harry (1512)