Filemaker runs in Linux!

FYI -  our filemaker solution runs like a champion in LINUX.
We called FM Pro and asked if we could run FMPro with a Linus operating
system.  They said NO.
 Maybe this is old news to some of you, but great news for us after they
said NO.

BTW, has anyone found a solution to open a FM runtime solution (once
bundled)  and then be able to edit it?    We have found a way, but it
remains a bit clumsy..   Not sure if there is a script we are missing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jason

1
jas

jas <jass@shawneelink.net> wrote:

> FYI -  our filemaker solution runs like a champion in LINUX.
> We called FM Pro and asked if we could run FMPro with a Linus operating
> system.  They said NO.

Maybe you should try that Charlie Brown OS. ;)

>  Maybe this is old news to some of you, but great news for us after they
> said NO.
>
> BTW, has anyone found a solution to open a FM runtime solution (once
> bundled)  and then be able to edit it?    We have found a way, but it
> remains a bit clumsy..   Not sure if there is a script we are missing.

Editing data should be easy whether bound or not. Editing structure is
another issue.

If it's one of your own solutions that you have bound, but not stripped
of master access, you can open any bound file with regular FM (Open the
app, then point to the file) and use the master password.

If during binding, you have stripped master access from the files, you
will no longer be able to edit structure in that file.  This is what the
stripping process provides as extra security for developers. Go back to
the master set of development files, do the changes there, and then
rebind the necessary files, using the same binding key.

If it is not YOUR solution, then contact the developer / owner and ask
if this is something that is possible. Anything else is license
violation. In any case, if the developer has stripped the files of
access permissions, no one can do anything with them.

Lynn Allen
www.semiotics.com

FM 7 Tip of the Week: External authentication can permit IT departments
to create and manage user accounts which log into FM. Security becomes
the responsiblity of IT, not FM.
0
lynn
6/27/2004 5:31:59 AM
Lynn...

Thanks for your quick reply....

This FM Pro solution is mine so no problem with the licensing of others.
We have found a way to actually edit the structure
in a full runtime condition.  Using FM Developer 5.5, I created a software
for marketing.   Our concern was that of Technical Support for our customer
base.  The idea of returning back to our original pre-runtime solutiom, make
changes, bind, and then re issue the software so the customer could import
data was not what we wanted.

We have found a way that will take a ( bundled, run time solution )
temporarily turn it back into a (edit structure) using the layout mode.  We
can add fields, move them, rename them, write scripts, design each layout,
add layouts, etc.

I mentioned in my former post that it is a bit clumsy and requires a little
work, but other than that, we have found no limits.  When we return back to
browse,  exit the runtime solution, it then looses the edit structure
ability.  If we forgot to add something, and want to instantly go back in
and make the correction, we must go through the entire process once more
which takes about 5 minutes to setup.

Since we mastered this part, I thought maybe someone else had a easy script
that we were not aware of, one that we could gain access to the edit
structure in a more direct fashion.

From what you have said, maybe not.

Thanks Again for your time.

Jason

0
jas
6/27/2004 7:00:40 AM
jas wrote:

> FYI -  our filemaker solution runs like a champion in LINUX.
> We called FM Pro and asked if we could run FMPro with a Linus operating
> system.  They said NO.
>  Maybe this is old news to some of you, but great news for us after they
> said NO.

Can you give more details on how you got this to work?
Thanks
0
Irv
7/4/2004 2:46:30 PM
jas wrote:
> FYI -  our filemaker solution runs like a champion in LINUX.
> We called FM Pro and asked if we could run FMPro with a Linus operating
> system.  They said NO.
>  Maybe this is old news to some of you, but great news for us after they
> said NO.

How did you do this?

WINE?

or did you make it with the OS X Version, which maybe could run native?

thanks in advance

DJ
0
Dietmar
7/21/2004 10:45:31 AM
Dietmar Marek wrote:
> jas wrote:
>
>> FYI -  our filemaker solution runs like a champion in LINUX.
>> We called FM Pro and asked if we could run FMPro with a Linus operating
>> system.  They said NO.
>>  Maybe this is old news to some of you, but great news for us after they
>> said NO.
>>

> How did you do this?
>
> WINE?
>
> or did you make it with the OS X Version, which maybe could run native?
>
> thanks in advance

The OS X version definitely can NOT run native in Linux. I'm guessing
jas is using Wine.
0
Kevin
7/21/2004 12:11:18 PM
Kevin Hayes wrote:

> Dietmar Marek wrote:
>
>> jas wrote:
>>
>>> FYI -  our filemaker solution runs like a champion in LINUX.
>>> We called FM Pro and asked if we could run FMPro with a Linus operating
>>> system.  They said NO.
>>>  Maybe this is old news to some of you, but great news for us after they
>>> said NO.
>>>

>> How did you do this?
>>
>> WINE?
>>
>> or did you make it with the OS X Version, which maybe could run native?
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>

> The OS X version definitely can NOT run native in Linux. I'm guessing
> jas is using Wine.
He maybe has found an emulator for Aqua in X; the program itself, I
thought, could run native...
0
Dietmar
7/21/2004 3:06:47 PM
Dietmar Marek wrote:

> He maybe has found an emulator for Aqua in X; the program itself, I
> thought, could run native...

As far as I know, no such emulator exists. There is a runtime
environment for MacOS X for Linux (maconlinux - PPC only, not intel). If
he is running Linux on Intel, I would love to hear of a usable emulator.
0
Kevin
7/21/2004 3:18:10 PM
Kevin Hayes <me@here.com> wrote in message news:<cdm1ak$7d1$1@zcars0v6.ca.nortel.com>...
> Dietmar Marek wrote:
> >
> > He maybe has found an emulator for Aqua in X; the program itself, I
> > thought, could run native...
>
> As far as I know, no such emulator exists. There is a runtime
> environment for MacOS X for Linux (maconlinux - PPC only, not intel). If
> he is running Linux on Intel, I would love to hear of a usable emulator.

I've used FileMaker 6 on Linux using Wine with very mixed results.
It's not something I can recommend.
0
pdobbertin
7/22/2004 12:24:02 AM
Paul wrote:
> Kevin Hayes <me@here.com> wrote in message news:<cdm1ak$7d1$1@zcars0v6.ca.nortel.com>...
>
>>Dietmar Marek wrote:
>>
>>>He maybe has found an emulator for Aqua in X; the program itself, I
>>>thought, could run native...
>>
>>As far as I know, no such emulator exists. There is a runtime
>>environment for MacOS X for Linux (maconlinux - PPC only, not intel). If
>>he is running Linux on Intel, I would love to hear of a usable emulator.
>

> I've used FileMaker 6 on Linux using Wine with very mixed results.
> It's not something I can recommend.

I didn't work it out to use Filemaker Pro 6, but Filemaker Pro 5.5 works
fine, except fonts. I only used Arial in my solution, but most fonts are
in size 100pt or bigger.
Any suggestions how to fix this?
0
Dietmar

To FileMaker, or not to FileMaker...
Hello Group, I am currently involved in a situation that has evolved over several years and would like a little insider information on FileMaker's suitability to our task. Situation: company has existing FileMaker database. It handles basic needs but really needs a redesign. Two years ago company decided to switch to a web browser interface (served by Zope) and a PostgreSQL dB running on Linux. Time passes, shoddy software company never delivers, money is spent, time is wasted. I came on the scene 4 months ago to "rescue" the situation. Now company is reconsidering leaving ...

(FileMaker Pro Advanced OR FileMaker Pro) AND/OR (FileMaker Server OR FileMaker Server Advanced)
Hi We are getting close to purchase of FileMaker for a small network of 2 Apple Macs. Before I place an order I wonder if a little advice could be offered regarding the different versions of FileMaker available. We will be creating a new database using FileMaker and guess we would need to purchase FileMaker Pro 8.5 (Preferably Advanced?) and FileMaker Server 8 (Advanced?). Sorry if these are basic questions, but I am new to networking of computers. Many thanks, Jeff -- Please do not reply to the address of rhubarb@gosdensremovals.co.uk as we do not read or write using this email add...

Using a Filemaker Database on a computer with no Filemaker installed
I have created a basic database with a form using Filemaker pro. I would like for a user to be able to use it, but they don't have any version of Filemaker on their computer. I was under the impression that I this could be done. Is there some type of "packaging" I have to do before hand? Thanks Chaz You Have to use Fmpro Developper version to create a Runtime version of you solution. "Xaos" <zahc76@aol.com> a �crit dans le message de news:fnuhd.5718$6z2.2747408@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net... > I have created a basic database with a form using Filemaker pro....

FileMaker Unveils New FileMaker Go for iPhone and FileMaker Go for iPad
FileMaker Unveils New FileMaker Go for iPhone and FileMaker Go for iPad Available now on the App Store, FileMaker Go delivers live access to hosted FileMaker Pro databases, and lets users copy desktop databases to iPhone or iPad SANTA CLARA, Calif. � July 20, 2010 � FileMaker, Inc. today announced FileMaker Go for iPhone (http://www.filemaker.com/fm_go_iphone_pr) and FileMaker Go for iPad,(http://www.filemaker.com/fm_go_ipad_pr) the highly anticipated new Apps now available from the iTunes App Store which let users work remotely with FileMaker Pro (http://www.filemaker.com/products/fi...

Synchronizing a solution database with a Filemaker 6 database
I have filemaker 6 Developer on my workplace computer and have built an extensive database of about 150 current clients which includes a few small relational database files. I would like to be able to modify a copy of this database and convert it into a solution to run on a notebook so I could update records at the time of a client visit and then synchronize them with the "central" database once I'm back on the network. I have thought about using the export and import features that both solutions and Filemaker have as a menu option, and wonder if anyone has successfully been ab...

FileMaker 4 into FileMaker Developer 4
I have FileMaker Developer 4, I have not needed to upgrade FileMaker Developer since I retired. I am using FileMaker 6.0 on a PC. Now my wife wants to take a solution I created for her personal use at her job. Can I open this FM6 (It has an FP5 extension) and create a runtime solution for her to use on her computer? In article <406dc931$0$3052$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>, "Chuck Jernigan" <chuckj@erols.com> wrote: > I have FileMaker Developer 4, I have not needed to upgrade FileMaker > Developer since I retired. I am using FileMaker 6.0 on a PC. > Now my wife wan...

FileMaker Mobile 7 to FileMaker 7
I have a problem that I'm hoping can be solved. I've created a database in FileMaker Pro 7 and sync'd it to my Palm for use with FileMaker Mobile 7. I lost the database on my Mac, but still have it on the Palm. How do I get the database back from the Palm onto my Mac? I've already tried creating a new database on the Mac with the same name and syncing, but no luck. Any other suggestions? Thanks! Cal wrote: > I have a problem that I'm hoping can be solved. I've created a > database in FileMaker Pro 7 and sync'd it to my Palm for use with > FileMake...

FileMaker 6 and non-filemaker files
Hi, I'm trying to build some sort of knowledgebase, i.g. I want to be able to store, search and open different types of files: powerpoint, word, excel, pdf etc. I know I can import images and even PDF-files into FileMaker, but my database will rapidly grow in size in doing so. Next to that, it is possible to view the PDF in FileMaker, but printing would be difficult. Anyway, I am searching for a solution in which I can open a Word-doc in Word from FileMaker, same for Excel-files and powerpoint presentations and open Acrobat in order to view PDF's. If possible, I think I'l...

Is There a Simple Way to Get the Database Design Report into a FileMaker Database?
I am amazed this isn't one of the native options. If I knew how, I guess I could write an XML import script to do it. Perhaps one is available somewhere? -- Nelson Well fmp have a long time ago come up with seperate versions. The current advanced version has this, but with some work you could build it your self and emulate this. -- Keep well / Hou je goed Ursus "Nelson" <nelson@nowhere.com> schreef in bericht news:0001HW.C6B40D6800B77F1BF0182648@news.astraweb.com... >I am amazed this isn't one of the native options. If I knew how, I > guess I could ...

[News] Best Databases Run in GNU/Linux, Free Databases Catching Up Fast
The end of the proprietary database? ,----[ Quote ] | While Packer does not believe that proprietary databases are doomed, he does | see the writing on the wall in emerging markets and that the increased use of | open source will eventually surround proprietary databases in established | markets. Unless the proprietary suppliers respond they risk losing business | in the long-term. `---- http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/12/17/the-end-of-the-proprietary-database/ oracle® database delivers record performance and price/performance for a two-processor x86-based system w...

FileMaker
How good are certmagic.com practice exams for FileMaker exam? My friends told me they are pretty good and he has passed many exams with their material. Let me know guys! "Annaa willsone" schreef in bericht news:6ba36818-5cde-42f2-9cb6-2129f8fdd0ac@37g2000prx.googlegroups.com... How good are certmagic.com practice exams for FileMaker exam? My friends told me they are pretty good and he has passed many exams with their material. Let me know guys! I don't have any experience with them, but had a quick look. They are only up to Fmp10, while 11 is the curren...

Sync Filemaker Databases
I want to run two copies of FM server and have them keep in sync and have client switch automatically if one fails. I want them on either side of my firewall. Can anyone recommend software that will do this. -- Al Lawrance "Filemaker" <ajlawrance@shaw.ca> writes: > I want to run two copies of FM server and have them keep in sync and > have client switch automatically if one fails. > I want them on either side of my firewall. Can anyone recommend > software that will do this. http://syncdek.com/syncdek/uses/multiple_sites.html -jens -- http://jensteich.d...

Filemaker 7 database
Hello, I want to access a Filemaker 7 database on my Mac using an ODBC-Connection of Mathematica 5.1. I defined a System-DSN and using it I can access the tables using Excel X for Mac. So in Mathematica I type the following: Needs["DatabaseLink`"] conn2 = OpenSQLConnection[ JDBC["odbc", "Aufgabenliste"], Username -> "Admin", Password -> "Admin"] Mathematica answers: JDBC::error: JDBC error: sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver $Failed What might be my mistake? Thanks Roman F...

newbie to FileMaker, but not databases
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had some good tutorials or sites for people with lots of database experience, but none of it in FileMaker. I've been asked to help out on a project that includes an interface built on FileMaker. Specifically I'm trying to add validation to various fields. I've mostly used Microsoft Sql Server as well as some MySql. Any and all help is appreciated! I think www.lynda.com has some great tutorials on FMP, but it is a paid site. "justin" <justin.creasy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:6a9ff5bd-48fd-495d-a8f0-54717f3f3de1@f3g2000...

Filemaker 12, Filemaker Server 12 and Windows 8
In case anyone is interested, I installed FM Server 12 trial on a win8 machine, disabled the firewall and all served files are accessible to another Win7 machine on the same network running FM12. I have not yet dug into how to fire up IIS on the Win8 machine from which the FM Server operates, so I don't have any tips on IWP or CWP. AF El domingo, 17 de febrero de 2013, 13:25:22 (UTC-5), afernlu...@gmail.com e= scribi=F3: > In case anyone is interested, I installed FM Server 12 trial on a win8 ma= chine, disabled the firewall and all served files are accessible to another= ...

FileMaker Dev 7 on same machine as FileMaker Dev 6
My FMD 7 just arrived yesterday. I actually bothered to read the yellow paper that came with it. It says that I can't have any other version of FMD on my computer. But I wanted to be able to develop for people who don't have all of the system requirements to run FMD7 as well as FMD6. Has anyone else had this come up? Any suggestions besides installing and developing for two different machines? Jeanne Hi Jeanne I've been running FileMaker Dev 6 and 7 on the same machine for quite some time without any problems. Regards, Dmitri Jeanne wrote: > My FMD 7 just arrived yesterd...

Filemaker 11 files on Filemaker 10 server advanced?
Hello, I am hosting filemaker 10 files on Filemaker 10 server advanced. Now, Filemaker 11 arrived and if I want to upgrade to 11 it will cost me a few thousend Euros (because of FM 11 server advanced!). I made a testfile in Filemaker 11 with a chart and served on FMP10SA, then I opened this file over the net in FMP11 and everything seemed to work just fine. I can see the charts etc... Before buying FMP11 licences, I would like to know if it is really no problem to serve FMP11 files on FMPSA10. Thank you,, Marc ...

Reading FileMaker records on a computer without Filemaker installed.
Is it possible to send a readable extract from a FileMaker Pro * database to a user who does not have Filemaker Pro? e.g if I have a database with 10 record can I extract records 7, 8 & 9 and send them to another user who does not have FileMaker Pro but may have a word processor such as Word. I only want them to be able to examine not alter the received data. I am using FileMaker 8 on a Mac. David On 09/22/07 6:40 PM, davidsteward4@yahoo.com wrote: > Is it possible to send a readable extract from a FileMaker Pro * > database to a user who does not have Filemaker Pro? > >...

FileMaker Pro 6
For the longest time, FileMaker Pro 6 was setup as a Multi-User File, and people could then access it. Just recently, when you open File Maker Pro 6, on the server (which is where it's always been, and never gets touched), it brings up an error with the following text. "FileMaker cannot host a file because of a network error. Files marked as Multi-User will not be available over the network. (10048)" I've used the FileMaker Pro web site, and Googled to no avail. I know that it uses port 5003 for communication. With FileMaker Pro 6 closed, if I do "telnet 192.168.1.4 50...

Filemaker Pro Advanced 8.5 and Filemaker Pro 12
I have both versions, 8.5 on a deskstop with Vista and then 12 on a desktop with Windows 7 64 bit. If I open an FMPA 8.5 using FMP 12 will I be able to open it again with FMPA 8.5? Can I host with one version and access with the other version across the network? Iced Tea <icedteas@cox.net> wrote: > If I open an FMPA 8.5 using FMP 12 will I be able to > open it again with FMPA 8.5? No. Filemaker 12 will create a new file in its .fmp12 format and use this new file only. Filemaker 8.5 is unable to use this file. -- Christoph Kaufmann http://clk.ch No, the...

Simple database, cheaper than Filemaker?
I got my sister to switch a couple of months ago. She needs a simple database to keep track of (1) ebay auctions she does [item, price, shipping costs, winner's address, whether she's gotten feedback yet, maybe even email-attachments or texts] and (2) job applications. Currently she's using Microsoft Excel, which is sort of doing the job, but is very clunky. Is there something easier and more user-friendly she can try out or get that's less expensive than Filemaker? In article <1h7kibc.nt8pvx1wf04zkN%no_email_address@hotmail.com>, no_email_address@hotmail.com (Sara ...

Using filemaker 8 pro with filemaker 10 advanced server
Hello. I am running filemaker 8 pro on my workstations and filemaker 8 server. I want to upgrade the server to filemaker 10 advanced. Will filemaker 8 pro work with filemaker 10 advanced server or do I need to upgrade that to. On Mar 11, 3:04=A0am, Audrey <aud...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello. > I am running filemaker 8 pro on my workstations and filemaker 8 > server. =A0I want to upgrade the server to filemaker 10 advanced. =A0Will > filemaker 8 pro work with filemaker 10 advanced server or do I need to > upgrade that to. FMP 8 will work with FM10AS, but you won't be ...

[Ann] FileMaker Web Publishing: The Ultimate Guide to FileMaker and PHP
***New Update and New Web Project available*** http://www.fmwebschool.com/filemaker_php.php Can you answer these questions? If a client asked you if you could build a FileMaker website, could you? Could you explain to them the details involved in Custom Web publishing? Would you have to contact another company to get the answers you need? Would you have to subcontract to have the website built for you? FMWebschool would like to offer a guaranteed way to learn FileMaker Web Publishing. How? Through our interactive evolving book series. * How does this work? Our new book is an evolving...

Known issues with upgrading from FileMaker 5.5 to FileMaker 6?
Hi, I'm trying to upgrade an existing solution from version 5.5 to 6.0v4 and I've run into a couple of strange behaviors: 1) It appears that some of my relationships are not working. 2) Some date fields now show question marks. Do these sound like known issues with upgrading a solution to 6.0v4? What is the best way to fix/troubleshoot these issues? I can open the exact same solution in 5.5 and it works perfectly then open it in 6 and the above problems appear. Thanks so much for your help. -Dave David Franklin wrote: > > Hi, > > I'm trying to upgrade an e...

Web resources about - Filemaker runs in Linux! - comp.databases.filemaker

FileMaker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... , Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.0, 8.1 , iOS Mac OS X 10.9, 10.10 (Apple) , Microsoft Server 2008 R2 SP1, Server 2012 SE, Server 2012 R2 SE FileMaker ...

Database Software - FileMaker
Award-winning business and personal database software for iPad, iPhone, Windows, Mac and the web. FileMaker Worldwide Sites Australia Belgium ...

Database Software - FileMaker (United Kingdom)
Official site for FileMaker in the UK. Learn about quality iPad, iPhone, PC and Macintosh database software from FileMaker.

Community Home . Pages . FileMaker Forums
本サイトの使用によりウェブサイト利用規約 Terms of Use (英語)に同意されているものとみなします。製品の仕様、価格、発売時期、販売期間は、予告なく変更する場合があります。

FileMaker Go 13 on the App Store on iTunes
Get FileMaker Go 13 on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

A Clear View Toward the Future with FileMaker Pro 13 Platform - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... it. A flexible platform for running a complex organization To help run the facility 24/7, Cattell has built a solution that uses the full FileMaker ...

Filemaker withdrawing Bento as consumers turn to Evernote & its ilk
Business database company FileMaker, a subsidiary of Apple, is withdrawing its more consumer-orientated database app, Bento . It will remain ...

Apple Subsidiary FileMaker Reportedly Lays Off Employees Amid Poor Sales
FileMaker, a wholly owned subsidiary of Apple, is rumored to have discharged a number of employees last Thursday amid poor sales performance, ...

filemaker pro 13 - Apple Store (UK)
filemaker pro 13 - 4 results on Apple Online Store

Rumor: Apple subsidiary FileMaker lays off 20 employees amid restructuring
Wholly owned Apple subsidiary FileMaker Inc., makers of database programs FileMaker and the now-defunct Bento, reportedly conducted a round of ...