filemaker server on windows 2003 server

Hello,

I just upgraded my server from a NT4 server to a windows 2003 server with
new hardware (currently running 2 times Xeon 2.8, 2 GB RAM, 4 X 10K rpm 74GB
in raid 5 configuration). Everything works fine (no speed problems, using
1Gbit switch) only filemaker is extremely slow. I configured filemaker
server 5.5 to use 40MB (maximum). If the clients want to open a lot of files
simutaniously (I'm using a lot of portals) or want to print huge lists,
filemaker is extremely slowly. I checked the cpu usage and network usage,
but it peaks at 0.7 %, so I don't think the cpu is the problem... .The
clients are using Filemaker 5.5 and filemaker 6.0 .
In the early situation, I used a pentium II 400Mhz, 128MB server and it
worked faster :-(.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problems and does anybody has any
solutions?

Thanks in advance,

Jurgen Lemmens

You may have actually set the memory too high! Have you set up the admin
files ('Remote Administration')? From there, you can monitor performance,
particularly the Cache Hit %. You want that number to hover in the mid 90%
range. If the memory is set too high, performance may suffer while each
memory block is written to. Try adjusting the memory until the Cach Hit %
remains reasonably steady, around 95%.

Also, it's been a while for me, but I seem to remember that FMS 5.5 did not
like Gbit switches. I'm not certain about that, but, if adjusting the cache
does not help, you might look at FMI's site in the Knowledge Base:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

....and see if there is anything about Gbit switches for that server.

By the same token, you might also look around there for information about
FMS 5.5 and dual processors. My memory is that they were supported on
Windows, but not on Mac's, but it may be worth a look nonetheless-- again,
if playing with the cache setting doesn't help.

In general, FMS 5.5 did not make much use of fast CPU's, but your RAID
should provide good performance. I'm wondering about your comment that
'everything works fine': are you using this server for anything other than
Filemaker? FMS is very jealous of its network capacity, and performance is
likely to deteriorate if the server is performing any other task (no matter
how fast and powerful it is). Also, stop all unnecessary services. And make
certain there is no share on the volume hosting the files.

Please write back if you have any results.

--
John Weinshel
Datagrace

"Jurgen Lemmens" <jurgen.lemmens@skynet.be> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I just upgraded my server from a NT4 server to a windows 2003 server with
> new hardware (currently running 2 times Xeon 2.8, 2 GB RAM, 4 X 10K rpm
> 74GB in raid 5 configuration). Everything works fine (no speed problems,
> using 1Gbit switch) only filemaker is extremely slow. I configured
> filemaker server 5.5 to use 40MB (maximum). If the clients want to open a
> lot of files simutaniously (I'm using a lot of portals) or want to print
> huge lists, filemaker is extremely slowly. I checked the cpu usage and
> network usage, but it peaks at 0.7 %, so I don't think the cpu is the
> problem... .The clients are using Filemaker 5.5 and filemaker 6.0 .
> In the early situation, I used a pentium II 400Mhz, 128MB server and it
> worked faster :-(.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing the same problems and does anybody has any
> solutions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Jurgen Lemmens

0
john66 (117)

(FileMaker Pro Advanced OR FileMaker Pro) AND/OR (FileMaker Server OR FileMaker Server Advanced)
Hi We are getting close to purchase of FileMaker for a small network of 2 Apple Macs. Before I place an order I wonder if a little advice could be offered regarding the different versions of FileMaker available. We will be creating a new database using FileMaker and guess we would need to purchase FileMaker Pro 8.5 (Preferably Advanced?) and FileMaker Server 8 (Advanced?). Sorry if these are basic questions, but I am new to networking of computers. Many thanks, Jeff -- Please do not reply to the address of rhubarb@gosdensremovals.co.uk as we do not read or write using this email add...

How to configure Filemaker Server 7 advanced and windows Server 2003
Hello, I'm really frustrated because I've bought Filemaker Pro 7 Server Advanced and Windows Server 2003 ($$$!!!) and I'm not able to configure all of this (for months now). There are just to many possibilities and I just don't know what to enter. The manuals aren't clear (as usual with filemaker). Is there somebody who can tell me how to configure step by step Windows Server 2003 on one hand and Filemaker Server Advanced on the other so that I can serve filemaker files over the internet which anables me to login remotely (using Filemaker pro 7) to access my Filemak...

Using Filemaker 7 Server Advanced and Windows Server 2003 standard
Hello, I've bought Filemaker 7 Pro Server advanced and Windows Server 2003 Standard. I've made a nice database in Filemaker Pro 7 using only scriptsteps that are browsercompatible. NO problem... very nice result but... Setting up Windows 2003 Server and Filemaker Pro 7 advanced is a ... If I look in the manuals of both Windows and Filemaker I get 1001 different settingpossibilities, and I just don't want to learn it all because it is not usefull to me. There must be some standard settings I schould do in Windows Server and Filemaker Pro Server advanced so that I can make my...

Filemaker 9 Server, 2003 Server Problem
I am having an issue with FM9 Server in that clients loose connection to the database. Sometimes restarting the server fixes it but other times I have to stop the Service and restart the service. I called techsupport and they informed me this is a know issue with no fix to the problem. I have search their Knowledge base and do not find anything in regards to this issue. So if it is a known issue, why can I not find anything on it in their knowledge base. Anyone else having this issue? If so, have you found a resolution or work around that helps? Thanks, Tom Duffer <duffer5@c...

Exchanging databases from Silemaker Server to Filemaker Server
Hi All,=20 Here it is my (wannabe) solution:=20 A) One FM server 11A (Win Machine), on the local Intranet, few clients (6) = online=20 B) One FM Server 11B (Windows Server Machine), on remote server C) One MySQL server on the remote server D) 2 distinct Databases (filemaker 11 and PHP\MySQL) with exactly the same = structure (i.e fields and tables)=20 Users of FM database and MySQL database will be different, there will be no= overlapping or editing of the same record between the 2 databases FM Server 11B and MySQL server are on the same remote machine. What I would like to...

filemaker server 5 and windows 2000 server
I wave a win2000 fileserver supporting 10 workstations. Do you thing that is possible to install FM server on the same system to support 3 FM concurrent users (for a small database) or should I use a dedicated machine just for FM server (witch I don't have). You may want to try, no harm in doing so, but the rule says : "always = put FMServer on a dedicated machine". Such a machine may be a very small = modern one with Windows XP Professional for a cost of say 300 dollars. Remi-Noel "Hatzigiannakis Nikos" <nikos@ypai.gr> a =E9crit dans le message de = news: cl...

Filemaker 12, Filemaker Server 12 and Windows 8
In case anyone is interested, I installed FM Server 12 trial on a win8 machine, disabled the firewall and all served files are accessible to another Win7 machine on the same network running FM12. I have not yet dug into how to fire up IIS on the Win8 machine from which the FM Server operates, so I don't have any tips on IWP or CWP. AF El domingo, 17 de febrero de 2013, 13:25:22 (UTC-5), afernlu...@gmail.com e= scribi=F3: > In case anyone is interested, I installed FM Server 12 trial on a win8 ma= chine, disabled the firewall and all served files are accessible to another= ...

I am wondering if we can install this Server on Windows 2003 Server without any problems. Is there anybody that did that before? Thanks in advance if someone know the answer. Yvon Bouchard, B. Sc. Computer Science Teacher http://info.cegepat.qc.ca/siteyvon I've installed it on windows 2003 enterprise ed. about 1 month ago without any problem. I've installed the version 9.2.0.1 with the patch to 9.2.0.3. 9.2.0.3 is the only version certified by oracle for win 2003. Ciao "Yvon Bouchard" <yvon.bouchard@cablevision.qc.ca> ha scritto nel messaggio n...

Server to server = Server client to server?
For a server to server connection, is the connecting server considered as a client of the accepting server or is it not? I have the following classes: Connection <--- base class of the following two ClientConnection <--- client ServerConnection <--- server ServerClientConnection <--- server as a client of another server. But then I came across something that states "A client is anything connected to a server that is not another client". Comments please... Just remember! Server ( programm ) is always listening a connections!!! - wrote: &g...

application server on windows server 2003
Hi I am developing a client server application a small component of which should open a terminal window with an application (say AutoCAD) running on it on the server. All clients should be able to view this application on their respective machines. Can anyone suggest if I can use any existing services for this ? For opening a terminal window in Server 2003 I found that I can use Remote Desktop Connection. However I think I need something like a VNC server but am not sure what or how to use. Can anyone suggest as to how I can proceed for this ? Any help/hints/suggestions would be appre...

mail server on windows server 2003
Hi Gurus I would like to run a mail server on 2003 that does the following: 1. collect emails from several other mail servers (e.g. mail.myisp.com) using the pop3 method. 2. allow people connected to the servers domain/network to - send emails from their outlook program - receive emails in their outlook program - send emails locally (without going through our ISP) to other people who are connected to the server (e.g. from Jo to Mike who are both connected to the server domain). My questions are: 1. can MS Windows Server do this, OR 2. would you recommend a program f...

application server on windows server 2003
Hi I am developing a client server application a small component of which should open a terminal window with an application (say AutoCAD) running on it on the server. All clients should be able to view this application on their respective machines. Can anyone suggest if I can use any existing services for this ? For opening a terminal window in Server 2003 I found that I can use Remote Desktop Connection. However I think I need something like a VNC server but am not sure what or how to use. Can anyone suggest as to how I can proceed for this ? Any help/hints/suggestions would be appre...

Multiples Instance of SQL server 2000/SQL server 7.0 on Windows server 2003
Hi, Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance and SQL server 2000 as a named instance. Thanks for your answer. riless (g.carali@voila.fr) writes: > Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, > SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : > > SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance > > and > > SQL server 2000 as a named instance. If SQL 7 can be installed on Win2003, yes. But I would not really expect SQL 7 to be welcome on Windows 2003, although I don't...

Windows 2003 Server (SP2) vs Windows 2000 Server TCP/IP Performance
Hi, I have a W2K and a W2K3 server under test. The test program has two components: 1. a simple TCP/IP test server 2. a simple TCP/IP test client Both are very small programs (written in VB using a third party COM component for sockets). Both are running on the same machine. i.e. the whole test is local to the machine. The TCP/IP test server listens on a particular port (9000) on 127.0.0.1. Two TCP/IP test clients attempt to connect to the TCP/IP test server, get a few bytes of test data (less than 100bytes) and close the connection. They repeat this process 1000 tim...

Web resources about - filemaker server on windows 2003 server - comp.databases.filemaker

FileMaker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... , Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.0, 8.1 , iOS Mac OS X 10.9, 10.10 (Apple) , Microsoft Server 2008 R2 SP1, Server 2012 SE, Server 2012 R2 SE FileMaker ...

Database Software - FileMaker
Award-winning business and personal database software for iPad, iPhone, Windows, Mac and the web. FileMaker Worldwide Sites Australia Belgium ...

Database Software - FileMaker (United Kingdom)
Official site for FileMaker in the UK. Learn about quality iPad, iPhone, PC and Macintosh database software from FileMaker.

Community Home . Pages . FileMaker Forums
本サイトの使用によりウェブサイト利用規約 Terms of Use (英語)に同意されているものとみなします。製品の仕様、価格、発売時期、販売期間は、予告なく変更する場合があります。

FileMaker Go 13 on the App Store on iTunes
Get FileMaker Go 13 on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

A Clear View Toward the Future with FileMaker Pro 13 Platform - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... it. A flexible platform for running a complex organization To help run the facility 24/7, Cattell has built a solution that uses the full FileMaker ...

Filemaker withdrawing Bento as consumers turn to Evernote & its ilk
Business database company FileMaker, a subsidiary of Apple, is withdrawing its more consumer-orientated database app, Bento . It will remain ...

Apple Subsidiary FileMaker Reportedly Lays Off Employees Amid Poor Sales
FileMaker, a wholly owned subsidiary of Apple, is rumored to have discharged a number of employees last Thursday amid poor sales performance, ...

filemaker pro 13 - Apple Store (UK)
filemaker pro 13 - 4 results on Apple Online Store

Rumor: Apple subsidiary FileMaker lays off 20 employees amid restructuring
Wholly owned Apple subsidiary FileMaker Inc., makers of database programs FileMaker and the now-defunct Bento, reportedly conducted a round of ...