Finding and Highlighting specific text in a long text box

Hello,

My client has a long text field where she enters resume information. She
does a find in this text box to find specific information, such as which
   potential employees have a certain skill set.

After she performs the find, I would like the text box to display the
occurances of the search word or term, in a color if possible or at
least underlined so she can easily read it in context to see what the
actual employee experience/qualifications are.

Thank you for any assistance on this.

Kathy McClure
0
gr8lady (5)

In article <ee6c150ida@enews3.newsguy.com>,
 Kathy McClure <gr8lady@cruzio.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My client has a long text field where she enters resume information. She
> does a find in this text box to find specific information, such as which
>    potential employees have a certain skill set.
>
> After she performs the find, I would like the text box to display the
> occurances of the search word or term, in a color if possible or at
> least underlined so she can easily read it in context to see what the
> actual employee experience/qualifications are.
>
> Thank you for any assistance on this.
>
> Kathy McClure

What      version      of      FileMaker ? ? ?

Matt
0
Im208 (301)
9/12/2006 1:39:17 PM
Hi Matt,

I am rewriting a very old database using FileMaker 8. They tried to
convert but it didn't go well - so starting from scratch and then
importing data from the old files.

Kathy

Matt Wills wrote:
> In article <ee6c150ida@enews3.newsguy.com>,
>  Kathy McClure <gr8lady@cruzio.com> wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>My client has a long text field where she enters resume information. She
>>does a find in this text box to find specific information, such as which
>>   potential employees have a certain skill set.
>>
>>After she performs the find, I would like the text box to display the
>>occurances of the search word or term, in a color if possible or at
>>least underlined so she can easily read it in context to see what the
>>actual employee experience/qualifications are.
>>
>>Thank you for any assistance on this.
>>
>>Kathy McClure
>

> What      version      of      FileMaker ? ? ?
>
> Matt
0
gr8lady (5)
9/12/2006 1:54:37 PM
You may look at the free 'AutoBold' file from
www.nightwing.com.au/filemaker under the 'demo' section :

"Formatting All Occurrences of a User-Specified Word/Phrase in a Field"
Whether as a scripted follow-on from the performance of a 'find, or whether
as a substitute for the find itself, there are a variatey of occasions when
it may be desirable to highlight (eg apply bold character formatting) all
the occurrences of a user-specified word or phrase within a free form text
field.

There are other ways...
Remi-Noel

> I am rewriting a very old database using FileMaker 8. They tried to
> convert but it didn't go well - so starting from scratch and then
> importing data from the old files.
>
> Kathy
>
> Matt Wills wrote:
>> In article <ee6c150ida@enews3.newsguy.com>,
>>  Kathy McClure <gr8lady@cruzio.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>My client has a long text field where she enters resume information. She
>>>does a find in this text box to find specific information, such as which
>>>potential employees have a certain skill set.
>>>
>>>After she performs the find, I would like the text box to display the
>>>occurances of the search word or term, in a color if possible or at least
>>>underlined so she can easily read it in context to see what the actual
>>>employee experience/qualifications are.
>>>
>>>Thank you for any assistance on this.
>>>
>>>Kathy McClure
>>

>> What      version      of      FileMaker ? ? ?
>>
>> Matt

0
rnmenegaux (152)
9/12/2006 3:07:29 PM
Remi-Noel's suggestion (AutoBold) should serve you well. The demo
applies both style and color to the highlighted word.

Matt

In article <ee6e6f0kal@enews3.newsguy.com>,
 Kathy McClure <gr8lady@cruzio.com> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> I am rewriting a very old database using FileMaker 8. They tried to
> convert but it didn't go well - so starting from scratch and then
> importing data from the old files.
>
> Kathy
>
> Matt Wills wrote:
> > In article <ee6c150ida@enews3.newsguy.com>,
> >  Kathy McClure <gr8lady@cruzio.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>My client has a long text field where she enters resume information. She
> >>does a find in this text box to find specific information, such as which
> >>   potential employees have a certain skill set.
> >>
> >>After she performs the find, I would like the text box to display the
> >>occurances of the search word or term, in a color if possible or at
> >>least underlined so she can easily read it in context to see what the
> >>actual employee experience/qualifications are.
> >>
> >>Thank you for any assistance on this.
> >>
> >>Kathy McClure
> >

> > What      version      of      FileMaker ? ? ?
> >
> > Matt
0
Im208 (301)
9/12/2006 6:19:36 PM
I have been asked to what I meant when I said :
> There are other ways...
To the question :
>> I would like the text box to display the occurrences of the search word
>> or term, in a color if possible or at least underlined

I found 'FINDMARK.fp5', 'CheesyWordHighlighting.zip', 'HILITE.FP5' and
'Text_Hilight.zip'.
But I still prefer the 'AutoBold' that I mentionned.
Remi-Noel

0
rnmenegaux (152)
9/13/2006 6:49:22 AM
Kathy McClure wrote:
> My client has a long text field where she enters resume information. She
> does a find in this text box to find specific information, such as which
>    potential employees have a certain skill set.
>
> After she performs the find, I would like the text box to display the
> occurances of the search word or term, in a color if possible or at
> least underlined so she can easily read it in context to see what the
> actual employee experience/qualifications are.

Create a global field into which you put the search text and a calc
field with formula;
Substitute(
TextField ;
SearchText_g ;
TextColor(    TextStyleAdd( SearchText_g ; Bold ); RGB ( 221 ; 0 ; 0 )
) )

that will show the search text in red and bold.

0
ad (117)
9/13/2006 10:50:54 PM
FP wrote:
> Create a global field into which you put the search text and a calc
> field with formula;
> Substitute(
> TextField ;
> SearchText_g ;
> TextColor(    TextStyleAdd( SearchText_g ; Bold ); RGB ( 221 ; 0 ; 0 )
> ) )
>
> that will show the search text in red and bold.

I just realized this is case sensitive.
If you use a custom function then case doesn't matter.
You'll still need the global and the calc field, make sure your calc is
unstored and make the formula (create the custom function before
creating this calc);
zHighlight( TextField, SearchText_g)

Create custom function;

Name:    zHighlight
Parameters:   Text, SearchText
Code:
If ( PatternCount ( Text ; SearchText ) = 0 ; Text ;

Let([
TheStart = Position ( Upper(Text) ; Upper(SearchText) ; 1 ; 1 ) - 1;
TheLength = Length(SearchText);
TheRemainder = Replace ( Text ; 1 ; TheStart + TheLength ; "" )];

Left ( Text ; TheStart ) &
TextStyleAdd ( TextColor ( Middle ( Text ; TheStart + 1 ; TheLength ) ;
RGB ( 221 ; 0 ; 0 ) ) ; Bold ) &
zHighlight(TheRemainder; SearchText)))

0
ad (117)