Have "Host" but empty "Available Files" list

Hi. I am using FM8.5 and FM Server 8 on Macs. I have a database serving
on one Intel iMac (10.4.8) and can access the database correctly via
remote login in FM8.5 running on the same Mac. The available files are
listed correctly so I assume they are configured correctly (network
access all users, don't display in open remote dialog not ticked,
fmsadmin group, read/write privileges, etc.). However, on another
networked Mac running FM8.5 also, I can see the Host name okay (the IP
address of the Mac running the server), but the "Available Files" list
remains empty. Any ideas? Thanks, Mark.

0
mgoyeah (38)

I am confused by the description you give of your network setup for FM.
The only right way to 'share' an FM file - as described, by the way in the
FMS doc - within a network is :
- put the file in the FMS (Server) folder or one level down.
- make the file 'Multiuser', and let every copy of FM have access thru
TCP/IP.
- make the file NON SHARED in the OS sense, as FM has its own way to 'share'
that may - that will - enter in conflict with the way the OS (Mac or PC,
does not matter) shares files, and thus leading to corruption of the
file(s).
- never run simultaneously regular FM and FMS on the same machine.
- the best is to have FMS alone in a dedicated machine (I did it recently
for a 20 Macs networked with a Mac Server : I just added a $200 PC CPU on
the network with a fixed IP address) (FMP6)
- access to your file is to be done from any workstation of the network only
by opening the local FM program first, do File / Open Remote, give the IP of
the Host, and choose your file on the list. Or else make a little FM file
that does that with a one line script, that you'll have to initiate once for
all on each workstation.
Remi-Noel

"mgfilemaker" <mgoyeah@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
1168680009.084458.132150@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...
> Hi. I am using FM8.5 and FM Server 8 on Macs. I have a database serving
> on one Intel iMac (10.4.8) and can access the database correctly via
> remote login in FM8.5 running on the same Mac. The available files are
> listed correctly so I assume they are configured correctly (network
> access all users, don't display in open remote dialog not ticked,
> fmsadmin group, read/write privileges, etc.). However, on another
> networked Mac running FM8.5 also, I can see the Host name okay (the IP
> address of the Mac running the server), but the "Available Files" list
> remains empty. Any ideas? Thanks, Mark.

0
Remi
1/13/2007 4:58:09 PM
Hi, Thanks for the reply Remi.

I have resolved the issue (it was a weird priviledge issue) and have
the system running okay. You mention not running FMP and FMS on the
same machine. FileMaker info indicates that the only concern is
performance issues (does not mention any file corruption issues), but I
am wondering if there are file corruption issues to worry about. I have
it working so I assume the info I have found where people refer to file
sharing issues, etc. are not evident in my configuration. I'm not using
web publishing or ODBC. Thanks, Mark.

Remi-Noel Menegaux wrote:
> I am confused by the description you give of your network setup for FM.
> The only right way to 'share' an FM file - as described, by the way in the
> FMS doc - within a network is :
> - put the file in the FMS (Server) folder or one level down.
> - make the file 'Multiuser', and let every copy of FM have access thru
> TCP/IP.
> - make the file NON SHARED in the OS sense, as FM has its own way to 'sha=
re'
> that may - that will - enter in conflict with the way the OS (Mac or PC,
> does not matter) shares files, and thus leading to corruption of the
> file(s).
> - never run simultaneously regular FM and FMS on the same machine.
> - the best is to have FMS alone in a dedicated machine (I did it recently
> for a 20 Macs networked with a Mac Server : I just added a $200 PC CPU on
> the network with a fixed IP address) (FMP6)
> - access to your file is to be done from any workstation of the network o=
nly
> by opening the local FM program first, do File / Open Remote, give the IP=
 of
> the Host, and choose your file on the list. Or else make a little FM file
> that does that with a one line script, that you'll have to initiate once =
for
> all on each workstation.
> Remi-Noel
>
> "mgfilemaker" <mgoyeah@hotmail.com> a =E9crit dans le message de news:
> 1168680009.084458.132150@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...
> > Hi. I am using FM8.5 and FM Server 8 on Macs. I have a database serving
> > on one Intel iMac (10.4.8) and can access the database correctly via
> > remote login in FM8.5 running on the same Mac. The available files are
> > listed correctly so I assume they are configured correctly (network
> > access all users, don't display in open remote dialog not ticked,
> > fmsadmin group, read/write privileges, etc.). However, on another
> > networked Mac running FM8.5 also, I can see the Host name okay (the IP
> > address of the Mac running the server), but the "Available Files" list
> > remains empty. Any ideas? Thanks, Mark.

0
mgoyeah (38)
1/14/2007 11:06:59 AM
Mark,
I checked in the FMI site at :
http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5219&p_created=1115172926&p_sid=vjfa1Gri&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDUyJnBfcHJvZHM9MiZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9MS4yJnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1
and I saw this sentence :
>>Note: We do not recommend running FileMaker Server and FileMaker Pro on
>>the same machine. But there is no harm in installing both as long as they
>>are not running concurrently.

It seems to confirm what I said.
Maybe other in this NG would like to add their own take of this issue.

1168772819.421444.319450@11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com...