How can I scan an ENTRY FORM into FILEMAKER

Need to scan a HAND WRITTEN  ENTRY FORM (with around 12 fields - all
set out on A5 paper) and then be able to export the data into
FILERMAKER PRO 7. If I'm using say a CANON 8400F SCANNER with OmniPage
SE Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software, I believe I'm on the
right track to acheive this. Can someone assist me and also is there
any place which would explain the procedure on how to set up this
exercise....plain english would be much appreciated.

0
leon7483 (1)

When the resulting file is a tab delimited file (a tab between each field ,
a return between records) importing will go smoothly. Getting a tab on the
right place would seem to be the greatest problem.

--
Keep well,
Ursus

<leon@aussie-kids.com> schreef in bericht
> Need to scan a HAND WRITTEN  ENTRY FORM (with around 12 fields - all
> set out on A5 paper) and then be able to export the data into
> FILERMAKER PRO 7. If I'm using say a CANON 8400F SCANNER with OmniPage
> SE Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software, I believe I'm on the
> right track to acheive this. Can someone assist me and also is there
> any place which would explain the procedure on how to set up this
> exercise....plain english would be much appreciated.

0
ursus.kirk1 (595)
7/8/2006 2:41:23 PM
In article <1152342795.439367.209010@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
leon@aussie-kids.com wrote:

> Need to scan a HAND WRITTEN  ENTRY FORM (with around 12 fields - all
> set out on A5 paper) and then be able to export the data into
> FILERMAKER PRO 7. If I'm using say a CANON 8400F SCANNER with OmniPage
> SE Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software, I believe I'm on the
> right track to acheive this. Can someone assist me and also is there
> any place which would explain the procedure on how to set up this
> exercise....plain english would be much appreciated.

You're better off entering the data manually. No OCR package is going
to cope very well with handwritten forms (unless perhaps they're the
'print one letter per box' type of form and even then not everyone
follows the instructions), so you'll end up with mistakes galore that
will need finding and fixing anyway.

Otherwise you'll need to:

     - set-up the OCR software to scan the correct parts of the form,
       (assuming the form is always aligned in the same place on the
        scanner!)

     - export that to a text file,

     - if the text file doesn't have a tab between each field's data
       then the file will need to be 'massaged' in a text editor or
       word processor,
       ie. each entry form needs to appear in the file as a single
           line

           Name{tab}AddressLine1{tab}AddressLine2{tab}Phone ...

     - the text file can then be imported into an existing
       FileMaker database.

Helpful Harry
Hopefully helping harassed humans happily handle handiwork hardships  ;o)
0
helpful_harry (1512)