How to copy records from one database to another one ?

Hi,

I'm new to Filemaker Pro and I cannot figure out how to copy a record or a
group of records from one database to another one. I tried to export the
record(s) but, as I had to re-map the fields, I found it very
time-consuming.

Note : the 2 databases have exactly the same design. Actually, it is the
same database which has been used on 2 different machines and now I need to
consolidate the data.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jesus Gonzalez
(jesgon@belgacom.net)

0
Jesus
6/28/2003 6:47:30 AM
comp.databases.filemaker 11218 articles. 0 followers. amosw01 (46) is leader. Post Follow

* Jesus Gonzalez <gonzalezjesus@hotmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Filemaker Pro and I cannot figure out how to copy a record or a
> group of records from one database to another one. I tried to export the
> record(s) but, as I had to re-map the fields, I found it very
> time-consuming.
>
> Note : the 2 databases have exactly the same design. Actually, it is the
> same database which has been used on 2 different machines and now I need to
> consolidate the data.

-snipped-

Find the records you want to copy in db A and go to db B and import
using the matching fields parameter,

Filemaker uses the current found set in a DB as the group to import or
export.

Also when importing the - after the import, the current found set is the
imported records

groovy eh

loulou
0
Lou
6/28/2003 8:33:18 AM
Thanks a lot, Lou, for your quick answer.
I followed your instructions, and it worked perfectly.
You're great !

Jesus Gonzalez

"Lou Lesko" <lou@NOSPAMlouislesko.com> a �crit dans le message de
> * Jesus Gonzalez <gonzalezjesus@hotmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to Filemaker Pro and I cannot figure out how to copy a record or
> > group of records from one database to another one. I tried to export the
> > record(s) but, as I had to re-map the fields, I found it very
> > time-consuming.
> >
> > Note : the 2 databases have exactly the same design. Actually, it is the
> > same database which has been used on 2 different machines and now I need
> > consolidate the data.
> >
> -snipped-
>
> Find the records you want to copy in db A and go to db B and import
> using the matching fields parameter,
>
> Filemaker uses the current found set in a DB as the group to import or
> export.
>
> Also when importing the - after the import, the current found set is the
> imported records
>
> groovy eh
>
> loulou

0
Jesus
6/28/2003 2:59:49 PM
thanks for the additional information, "NeoLuddite".

Best regards,

Jesus

"NeoLuddite" <see_signature_for_address@invalid.com> a �crit dans le message
de
> In article <slrnbfqkma.9in.lou@sdf.lonestar.org>,
>  Lou Lesko <lou@NOSPAMlouislesko.com> wrote:
>
> > * Jesus Gonzalez <gonzalezjesus@hotmail.com>:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm new to Filemaker Pro and I cannot figure out how to copy a record
or a
> > > group of records from one database to another one. I tried to export
the
> > > record(s) but, as I had to re-map the fields, I found it very
> > > time-consuming.
> > >
> > > Note : the 2 databases have exactly the same design. Actually, it is
the
> > > same database which has been used on 2 different machines and now I
need to
> > > consolidate the data.
> > >
> > -snipped-
> >
> > Find the records you want to copy in db A and go to db B and import
> > using the matching fields parameter,
> >
> > Filemaker uses the current found set in a DB as the group to import or
> > export.
> >
> > Also when importing the - after the import, the current found set is the
> > imported records
>
> You should also know that the records will be imported in the current
> sort order.
>
> This is often useful if you want permanently (until new records are
> added) set the sort in a DB. Just create a clone of the existing DB,
> sort the records in the original they way you want them and import into
> the clone copy.
>
> --
> Real Address-> neoluddite0comcast.net <- replace 0 with @
> Bill Gates couldn't innovate his way out of a paper bag.

0
Jesus
Similar artilces about - How to copy records from one database to another one ?:

How to copy more than 25 lines of text
Frequently, I want reply to and email, cutting and paste-ing only part of the original mail. If the text I want to copy is more than will fit in the Pine console window (e.g., more than about 25 lines), I only know of the following methods to do this: a) Laboriously copy one screenful of lines at a time, using the copy and copy append commands. b) Pretend I am forwarding the original mail. Then select my text using pico's selection tool (e.g., ctrl-^ and ctrl-K) Then delete this pseudo-forward, once I have must text selection in the windows clipboard. Things would be f...

update to another window
Hi, I am new to javascript and coldfusion. I have a original window, when user click on a button, it will open another windowB; how can windowB update information in the original window? Thanks. Cathy When you create a new window with JavaScript, scripts in the new window gain a property called self.opener. This refrences the Window object of the window that opened it. Thourgh that you can change anything in the original window . For example if you had a div with an id of myDiv you can access it from windowb like this: self.opener.document.getElementById("myDvi") Cathy wrote: &...

Heres One Reason Dual G5s Are Behind Schedule
http://news.com.com/2100-1008_3-5070403.html?tag=fd_top Its no surprise Virginia Tech is not thought of highly. In article <OJa5b.385$K3.3920@newsfeed.avtel.net>, "John" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote: > http://news.com.com/2100-1008_3-5070403.html?tag=fd_top > > > > Its no surprise Virginia Tech is not thought of highly. It's even less of a surprise you'll never post any proof that that whatsoever. -- Alan Baker Vancouver, British Columbia "If you raise the ceiling 4 feet, move the fireplace from that wall to that wall, you'll st...

One more failure for Linux
every day now, i watch another nightmare on linux. another person trying to leave microsoft, and another person getting it up the gazoo with linux installation nightmares. i am not sure which is worse. tab wrote: > every day now, i watch another nightmare on linux. > another person trying to leave microsoft, and another > person getting it up the gazoo with linux installation nightmares. > i am not sure which is worse. > Well at least you admit that you see people trying to leave Microsoft everyday. That is the truth. People want to leave Microsoft. Eventually there will ...

Copy constructor and =
Hello. If I have classes that allocates dynamic memory, it is a good thing to have a copy constructor(CC). If I have a CC, now I'm only trying to understand when I also need to overload the assignment operator. When do I need that? "Gandalf" <gandalf@gunix.dk> wrote in message news:wd3%a.20013$mU6.27507@newsb.telia.net... > Hello. > If I have classes that allocates dynamic memory, it is a good thing to have > a copy constructor(CC). If I have a CC, now I'm only trying to understand > when I also need to overload the assignment operator. When do I need th...

Copy, copy, copy...
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2015/06/08/apple_wwdc_2015_music_news_and_other_things_apple_thinks_it_invented.html On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 9:49:16 AM UTC-4, Nashton wrote: > http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2015/06/08/apple_wwdc_2015_music_news_and_other_things_apple_thinks_it_invented.html And that was all they ever did, from the very beginning, when they stole from Xerox. On 2015-06-12 18:37:31 +0000, Walter Myer said: > On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 9:49:16 AM UTC-4, Nashton wrote: >> http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2015/06/08/apple_wwdc_20...

Got Your Xbox? No one else does...
http://revolution.joystiq.com/2006/01/19/console-launch-number-comparisons/ > AE Interactive tries to put the recent Xbox 360 launch numbers into perspective. Though they don't cite a data source, here's their claim: "Last time around, in the last six weeks of 2001, Microsoft sold 1.4 million original Xboxes in the U.S. market. This time, [MS] sold 607,000 Xbox 360s... By comparison, the Nintendo DS sold an estimated 1.22 million units in the U.S. during its first holiday season in 2004. The GameCube sold 1.2 million units in its first season in 2001 in the U.S. And the Play...

copy a function
I am using a PPC750. I am trying to copy a function outside of the image area and execute it. The executing function then copies a vxworks image from another location in user defined memory over top of the existing image and start executing it. Is this valid? #define MAX_BOOT_FUNC_SIZE 300 #define BOOT_FUNC_ADDRESS 0x00400000 #define VXWORKS_BOOT_ADDRESS 0x00010000 #define IMAGE_LOC ((unsigned char*)sysMemTop() + 0x8000) typedef void (*ENTRYPOINT)(); typedef void (*COPYENTRYPOINT)(const void *); void copyCodeAndRun(); void copyImageAndBoot(const void *src); /* this function...

Inserting & Updating from txtx to a database!
This is the best i can do with my games.pl script to load the game, description and times downloaded from a .txt file to database. Can you suggest something better? my $dbh = DBI->connect('DBI:mysql:nikos_db', 'root', 'tiabhp2r') or {RaiseError=>1}; #=============================================================================== my @row; my $insert = $dbh->prepare( "INSERT INTO games (gamename, gamedesc, gamecounter) VALUES (?, ?, ?)" ); my $update = $dbh->prepare( "UPDATE games SET gamedesc=? where gamename=?" ); open (FILE, &...

One for Adobe's Marketing Geniuses
http://forums.about.com/ab-graphicssoft/messages?lgnF=y&tid=4599 Would product activation stop you from upgrading Photoshop? Yes 65% No 22% Not sure 13% "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:bpje7h$1pl2lb$1@ID-82690.news.uni-berlin.de... > http://forums.about.com/ab-graphicssoft/messages?lgnF=y&tid=4599 > > Would product activation stop you from upgrading Photoshop? > > Yes 65% > No 22% > Not sure 13% Of course that is self reported and probably quite unreliable. "jjs" <nospa...

US-TX-Austin: Database Admin, HIPAA exp.w/SQL, Medicaid, Tandem; 6M (45282333029)
US-TX-Austin: Database Admin, HIPAA exp.w/SQL, Medicaid, Tandem; 6M (45282333029) ================================================================================= Position: Database Admin Reference: SMC01127 Location: Austin TX Duration: 6M Skills: HIPAA experience with SQL. Medicaid exp. Tandem experience a plus 3-5 years SQL exp with at least 6 months HIPAA exp. Scope: HIPAA testing support, SQL and Tandem Resources will support testing effort for the HIPAA project. Must have ...

Linux all-in-one set top box
Wan Subsidiary Awarded $30M All-In-One Linux Set top Box Contract ByteEnable April 15 2004 Santa ana, Calif. -- eWan 1 Inc. .. has announced that a $30 million (USD) agreement has been signed between Cocom International Ltd., a wholly-owned eWan subsidiary, located in the United Kingdom, and Linux Technology Limited (ECS Group), in Taipei, Taiwan, under which COCOM will purchase its advance Triple Play Digital Media Center Set Top Devices over a period of 24 months. The Digital Media Center is a new generation of media system -- combining the functions of set top box, personal computer, h...

Multiple copies
Suddenly I'm unable to print multiple copies. I'm using OS 10.3.9, Word X and HP psc 1610. The box for putting the number just won't change. I need thirty copies of a document with graphics, and I sure hate to do it one at a time. Any ideas? Thanks. In article <BF44CEE8.26F2%efb2@adelphia.net>, efb2 <efb2@adelphia.net> wrote: > Suddenly I'm unable to print multiple copies. I'm using OS 10.3.9, Word X > and HP psc 1610. The box for putting the number just won't change. I need > thirty copies of a document with graphics, and I sure hat...

scrittura di record su file .dat
salve, ho un problema con la scrittura di record su un file dati in cobol: Devo modificare un programma inserendo la scrittura/lettura su due file ..DAT di alcuni record, la scrittura e la lettura sono identiche visto che ho fatto copia-incolla da un file all'altro, ma mentre in un caso scrive normalmente, nell'altro caso no! per meglio spiegare, non va in errore la scrittura, anzi scrive normalmente, ma se apro il .DAT con net-express (il software di sviluppo), il .DAT risulta vuoto, ovviamente quindi quando vado in lettura, non trovo nulla!! Naturalmente se apro lo stesso file con...

how to copy value of an in out parameter from calling procedure
I am calling a procedure(order) from a calling procedure (caller). Order uses an In out parament (Ser_no) Order is supposed to return a serial number. how can i copy the value returned by Order to a local variable of Caller. thanks. talk2paras@gmail.com wrote: > I am calling a procedure(order) from a calling procedure (caller). > Order uses an In out parament (Ser_no) > > Order is supposed to return a serial number. > > how can i copy the value returned by Order to a local variable of > Caller. > > thanks. Demos of the use of OUT paramet...

Strange File Showed Up One Day
I have a file that has shown up in my root directory of my GW 450 Laptop that I don�t know what it is but am a bit suspicious of. Except for hardware, my laptop and desktop have the same OS (XP Home Full Installs, not upgrades), Personal Files, Programs and Application on them. But� the desktop does not have this file in the root directory. The file name is: XPHOME.T And this is what�s in it: ; Microsoft Windows Codename Whistler Personal, Professional, Server, Advanced Server and Datacenter ; (c) 1994 - 2000 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. ; ; Sample Unattended...

script to copy logins and users with all permissions
Hello all, I am looking for the script, which I believe exists already.I need to be able to populate the script for security of one database and apply it to another database, even if it is located on another server: 1. All logins which not exist have to be created and which exists ignored including the NT accounts 2. Users same as the old database + the existing ones stay in database 3. Passwords for the new logins. 4. All permissions/grants on all objects for the users that exists (usually it's the case) and ignore those that don't. I have script which does some of it, but it's no...

Multiple processes; one file.
Hey all, I hope this one peaks some interest. I recently inherited a rather kluge of a script. To multithread this thing I need to enable two processes to copy files from a single folder. Maybe process A pulls from the top of the list and process B pulls from the bottom of the list. But what happens when they meet in the middle and processes A is copying the file and process B comes along. Will they not "stomp" on each other. The "Ghetto" way is to create what I call "turd" files before the copy begins and have process B check for the existence of this turd fi...

Read/write Oracle Database with scilab ??
Hallo everybody, I use scilab for statistical purpose and developped a forecasting tool. We have to integrate now the tool in our IT system and to link it with Oracle Databases. We want to do minimal developpements and i would like to knon if there is a possibility to read and write databases directly with scilab. Than you in advance for your answers, C�drid cedric.leonard@steweag-steg.com (cedric leonard) wrote in message news:<7f4001b4.0410130002.4632c665@posting.google.com>... > Hallo everybody, > I use scilab for statistical purpose and developped a forecasting >...

copy Attachement from Email on server (files copied are not valid)
Hi, I'm getting emails from an address trough a script and I want to copy the attached files on the server. I can get the files and copy them on the server (trough the function below) BUT the files are not valid (images cannot be displayed) how can I solve this? ------------------------------------------ function get_attachments($mbox,$msgno){ $o = imap_fetchstructure($mbox, $msgno); $dir = "C:/AppServ/www/getinfo/fileadmin/testmail/"; // TEST if ($o->type == 1 || ($o->ifsubtype == 1 && $o->subtype == 'MIXED')) { $parts = $o->parts; ...

Procedure
Hello, I've got an PL/SQL (Oracle) problem. I've got a procedure that logic is to search for clean record (let it be TAKEN=0) that fulfits some kind of criteria. Easy. There is 5 sets of conditions checked one by one to get the record group. When the record is find (if one criteria success - rest of the criterias are skipped) the record group ID is taken (let's name it REC_GROUP_ID). Then all of the records with REC_GROUP_ID are updated (no one else can take these records now, let's say UPDATE table_name SET TAKEN=1 WHERE REC_GROUP_ID = found_id) and loaded into cursor (and th...

How display all records in a repeating field
Hi, I'm having a small problem using Filemaker 8. I've created a repeating field on a second layout page and I would like display one or more fields of ALL records in one repeating field (Each line must be a record). I also would to be able to click on a line in the repeating field and automaticaly go to the first layout and display that record. I've tried using portals but it didn't work because i'm not using a relational database. I hope someone can help me... Many thanks... John Devlon John It looks like you are trying to do something that repeating fields are ...

File copy question
I recently copied a newer version of a file into a folder and did not get any dialog about the file already existing. When I checked what happened, much to my surprise I saw both files in the same folder...They both had *exactly* the same name. FWIW: The original was marked as "read only". Never saw that one before (Using Fedora 10) philo <philo@privacy.net> writes: > When I checked what happened, much to my surprise I saw both files in > the same folder...They both had *exactly* the same name. even the non-printing characters in the filename were the same? Ma...

ATN: New Star Commander source; delete previous copies!
Dear Star Commander users, All source packages of The Star Commander that have been released before 2005 contain a modified version of Turbo Vision, Borland Pascal's user interface. Unfortunately, I realized only now that, according to its license, distribution of the Turbo Vision sources is not allowed, even in a modified form. For this reason, I have removed the source packages from the homepage and the beta page. If you have downloaded the source packages of any version of The Star Commander before 2005, DELETE THEM immediately! I'm discussing other release possibilities with the...

No one can connect to my Apache server
Hello, I just got Apache set up, a little test page running, and a no-ip account(although apache automatically picked up my ISP and such to make a domain, http://kyle.lkwnny.adelphia.net/) But none of my freinds or others can view the site, just me, using either of the following adresses: http://kyle.lkwnny.adelphia.net/thegmud.zip http://eragon1.no-ip.com And I can't see whats wrong, I have my DNS, HTTP, HTTPS, and SMTP ports open on my router with no firewall to interfere with Apache. Any help is appreciated, Eragon Eragon wrote: > Hello, I just got Apache set up, a little test pag...