How to copy records from one database to another one ?

Hi,

I'm new to Filemaker Pro and I cannot figure out how to copy a record or a
group of records from one database to another one. I tried to export the
record(s) but, as I had to re-map the fields, I found it very
time-consuming.

Note : the 2 databases have exactly the same design. Actually, it is the
same database which has been used on 2 different machines and now I need to
consolidate the data.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jesus Gonzalez
(jesgon@belgacom.net)

0
Jesus

* Jesus Gonzalez <gonzalezjesus@hotmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Filemaker Pro and I cannot figure out how to copy a record or a
> group of records from one database to another one. I tried to export the
> record(s) but, as I had to re-map the fields, I found it very
> time-consuming.
>
> Note : the 2 databases have exactly the same design. Actually, it is the
> same database which has been used on 2 different machines and now I need to
> consolidate the data.

-snipped-

Find the records you want to copy in db A and go to db B and import
using the matching fields parameter,

Filemaker uses the current found set in a DB as the group to import or
export.

Also when importing the - after the import, the current found set is the
imported records

groovy eh

loulou
0
Lou
6/28/2003 8:33:18 AM
Thanks a lot, Lou, for your quick answer.
I followed your instructions, and it worked perfectly.
You're great !

Jesus Gonzalez

"Lou Lesko" <lou@NOSPAMlouislesko.com> a �crit dans le message de
> * Jesus Gonzalez <gonzalezjesus@hotmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to Filemaker Pro and I cannot figure out how to copy a record or
> > group of records from one database to another one. I tried to export the
> > record(s) but, as I had to re-map the fields, I found it very
> > time-consuming.
> >
> > Note : the 2 databases have exactly the same design. Actually, it is the
> > same database which has been used on 2 different machines and now I need
> > consolidate the data.
> >
> -snipped-
>
> Find the records you want to copy in db A and go to db B and import
> using the matching fields parameter,
>
> Filemaker uses the current found set in a DB as the group to import or
> export.
>
> Also when importing the - after the import, the current found set is the
> imported records
>
> groovy eh
>
> loulou

0
Jesus
6/28/2003 2:59:49 PM
thanks for the additional information, "NeoLuddite".

Best regards,

Jesus

"NeoLuddite" <see_signature_for_address@invalid.com> a �crit dans le message
de
> In article <slrnbfqkma.9in.lou@sdf.lonestar.org>,
>  Lou Lesko <lou@NOSPAMlouislesko.com> wrote:
>
> > * Jesus Gonzalez <gonzalezjesus@hotmail.com>:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm new to Filemaker Pro and I cannot figure out how to copy a record
or a
> > > group of records from one database to another one. I tried to export
the
> > > record(s) but, as I had to re-map the fields, I found it very
> > > time-consuming.
> > >
> > > Note : the 2 databases have exactly the same design. Actually, it is
the
> > > same database which has been used on 2 different machines and now I
need to
> > > consolidate the data.
> > >
> > -snipped-
> >
> > Find the records you want to copy in db A and go to db B and import
> > using the matching fields parameter,
> >
> > Filemaker uses the current found set in a DB as the group to import or
> > export.
> >
> > Also when importing the - after the import, the current found set is the
> > imported records
>
> You should also know that the records will be imported in the current
> sort order.
>
> This is often useful if you want permanently (until new records are
> added) set the sort in a DB. Just create a clone of the existing DB,
> sort the records in the original they way you want them and import into
> the clone copy.
>
> --
> Real Address-> neoluddite0comcast.net <- replace 0 with @
> Bill Gates couldn't innovate his way out of a paper bag.

0
Jesus