Importing a found set between tables within a served database

I'm working with 8.5  on a database that is served by a dedicated
hosting company (ODItech).  So, all of the users, plus myself (outside
developer)  access it remotely.

I want to script an import of a found set from one table to another
within the same database file.

The only way I can figure out to specify the source  file/table  is by
choosing it via the "remote" dialog.   So this ends up specifying the
path to the server as the location of the file.

When I run the import, I get all records, rather than just the found
set.  Filemaker HELP explains that if the source file is closed, you
will indeed get all the records.  The file needs to be open to get the
found set.

So, it makes sense to me that on the server, which is where I'm
specifying the source file to be,  that the file is closed.

Does anybody have any suggestions how,  in a multi-user, served database
situation,  I can compel an import to only operate on a specific user's
found set?

Thank you In Advance!!!!

Greg
0
greg3495 (82)

In article <greg-3DE95D.11261302022007@bubbleator.drizzle.com>, Greg
Dember <greg@artocratic.com> wrote:

> I'm working with 8.5  on a database that is served by a dedicated
> hosting company (ODItech).  So, all of the users, plus myself (outside
> developer)  access it remotely.
>
> I want to script an import of a found set from one table to another
> within the same database file.
>
> The only way I can figure out to specify the source  file/table  is by
> choosing it via the "remote" dialog.   So this ends up specifying the
> path to the server as the location of the file.
>
> When I run the import, I get all records, rather than just the found
> set.  Filemaker HELP explains that if the source file is closed, you
> will indeed get all the records.  The file needs to be open to get the
> found set.
>
> So, it makes sense to me that on the server, which is where I'm
> specifying the source file to be,  that the file is closed.
>

> Does anybody have any suggestions how,  in a multi-user, served database
> situation,  I can compel an import to only operate on a specific user's
> found set?

If you're accessing the file, then it must be open on the server.

Since the Import from FileMaker file doesn't appear to be working, you
could try exporting the data to a separate file and then importing that
into the other Table.

Helpful Harry
Hopefully helping harassed humans happily handle handiwork hardships  ;o)
0
helpful_harry (1512)
2/4/2007 3:09:20 AM
In article <040220071609206658%helpful_harry@nom.de.plume.com>,
 Helpful Harry <helpful_harry@nom.de.plume.com> wrote:

> In article <greg-3DE95D.11261302022007@bubbleator.drizzle.com>, Greg
> Dember <greg@artocratic.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm working with 8.5  on a database that is served by a dedicated
> > hosting company (ODItech).  So, all of the users, plus myself (outside
> > developer)  access it remotely.
> >
> > I want to script an import of a found set from one table to another
> > within the same database file.
> >
> > The only way I can figure out to specify the source  file/table  is by
> > choosing it via the "remote" dialog.   So this ends up specifying the
> > path to the server as the location of the file.
> >
> > When I run the import, I get all records, rather than just the found
> > set.  Filemaker HELP explains that if the source file is closed, you
> > will indeed get all the records.  The file needs to be open to get the
> > found set.
> >
> > So, it makes sense to me that on the server, which is where I'm
> > specifying the source file to be,  that the file is closed.
> >

> > Does anybody have any suggestions how,  in a multi-user, served database
> > situation,  I can compel an import to only operate on a specific user's
> > found set?
>
> If you're accessing the file, then it must be open on the server.
>
> Since the Import from FileMaker file doesn't appear to be working, you
> could try exporting the data to a separate file and then importing that
> into the other Table.
>
> Helpful Harry
> Hopefully helping harassed humans happily handle handiwork hardships  ;o)

Thank you Harry.  If that's the only solution, I'll do what you
suggested.  Even if the file is "open" on the server, I'm thinking that
what's happening is that in the process of locating the file source on
the server, I'm losing track of the found set, because the found set is
for ME as a user.

I wish there were a way that I could specify the file as an import
source and preserve the identity of the user who created the found set.

If NOT, then I'll do what you suggested and export from the found set,
then import from the resulting data file.

Thanks,
Greg
0
greg3495 (82)
2/4/2007 5:19:37 PM
Greg Dember <greg@artocratic.com> wrote:

> Does anybody have any suggestions how,  in a multi-user, served database
> situation,  I can compel an import to only operate on a specific user's
> found set?

one way is getting the number of the found records, and writing in an
"import field" a new "ref of import" and a sequentiel number from 1 to
"number of fund records"

then, a script creates the good number of empty recodrs with the same
sequentiel field and a constant field with "ref of import".

Finaly import with option "update matching record", matching with "ref
of import" and "sequentiel number", and thereafter zeroing all service
fields

another option is using a service file ; don't forget testing the script
twice to get the option of automatically rewriting the service file
without the alert message.

HTH
--
Philippe Manet
0

HTH...

Greg Dember wrote:
> In article <040220071609206658%helpful_harry@nom.de.plume.com>,
>  Helpful Harry <helpful_harry@nom.de.plume.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <greg-3DE95D.11261302022007@bubbleator.drizzle.com>, Greg
>> Dember <greg@artocratic.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm working with 8.5  on a database that is served by a dedicated
>>> hosting company (ODItech).  So, all of the users, plus myself (outside
>>> developer)  access it remotely.
>>>
>>> I want to script an import of a found set from one table to another
>>> within the same database file.
>>>
>>> The only way I can figure out to specify the source  file/table  is by
>>> choosing it via the "remote" dialog.   So this ends up specifying the
>>> path to the server as the location of the file.
>>>
>>> When I run the import, I get all records, rather than just the found
>>> set.  Filemaker HELP explains that if the source file is closed, you
>>> will indeed get all the records.  The file needs to be open to get the
>>> found set.
>>>
>>> So, it makes sense to me that on the server, which is where I'm
>>> specifying the source file to be,  that the file is closed.
>>>

>>> Does anybody have any suggestions how,  in a multi-user, served database
>>> situation,  I can compel an import to only operate on a specific user's
>>> found set?
>> If you're accessing the file, then it must be open on the server.
>>
>> Since the Import from FileMaker file doesn't appear to be working, you
>> could try exporting the data to a separate file and then importing that
>> into the other Table.
>>
>> Helpful Harry
>> Hopefully helping harassed humans happily handle handiwork hardships  ;o)
>
> Thank you Harry.  If that's the only solution, I'll do what you
> suggested.  Even if the file is "open" on the server, I'm thinking that
> what's happening is that in the process of locating the file source on
> the server, I'm losing track of the found set, because the found set is
> for ME as a user.
>
> I wish there were a way that I could specify the file as an import
> source and preserve the identity of the user who created the found set.
>
> If NOT, then I'll do what you suggested and export from the found set,
> then import from the resulting data file.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Howard Schlossberg
FM Professional Solutions, Inc.    Los Angeles

FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
howard915 (251)
2/4/2007 8:17:02 PM
In article <200702042055461974839@[10.0.0.1]>, pmanet@invivo.edu
(manet) wrote:

> Greg Dember <greg@artocratic.com> wrote:
>
> > Does anybody have any suggestions how,  in a multi-user, served database
> > situation,  I can compel an import to only operate on a specific user's
> > found set?
>
> one way is getting the number of the found records, and writing in an
> "import field" a new "ref of import" and a sequentiel number from 1 to
> "number of fund records"
>
> then, a script creates the good number of empty recodrs with the same
> sequentiel field and a constant field with "ref of import".
>
> Finaly import with option "update matching record", matching with "ref
> of import" and "sequentiel number", and thereafter zeroing all service
> fields
>
> another option is using a service file ; don't forget testing the script
> twice to get the option of automatically rewriting the service file
> without the alert message.

Similarly, you could have a script loop through the found records
setting a field to "Import Me". Then Import the records into the other
table and loop through deleting records that don't say "Import Me" and
at the same time setting the field back to blank for those that do sao
"Import Me".

It could be slow for lots of records though. (Using the Replace command
may speed it up, but you need to be careful with that one.)

Helpful Harry
Hopefully helping harassed humans happily handle handiwork hardships  ;o)
0
helpful_harry (1512)
2/4/2007 8:19:52 PM
On 2007-02-02 20:26:13 +0100, Greg Dember <greg@artocratic.com> said:

> I'm working with 8.5  on a database that is served by a dedicated
> hosting company (ODItech).  So, all of the users, plus myself (outside
> developer)  access it remotely.
>
> I want to script an import of a found set from one table to another
> within the same database file.
>
> The only way I can figure out to specify the source  file/table  is by
> choosing it via the "remote" dialog.   So this ends up specifying the
> path to the server as the location of the file.
>
> When I run the import, I get all records, rather than just the found
> set.  Filemaker HELP explains that if the source file is closed, you
> will indeed get all the records.  The file needs to be open to get the
> found set.
>
> So, it makes sense to me that on the server, which is where I'm
> specifying the source file to be,  that the file is closed.
>

> Does anybody have any suggestions how,  in a multi-user, served database
> situation,  I can compel an import to only operate on a specific user's
> found set?
>

> Thank you In Advance!!!!
>

> Greg

Create a script that loops through all recrods, puts the record value
into a local variable $Fields, then in the script create a new window,
new record in the other table, Set the fields to the$Fields, close
window, go to next record, and loop until the end.....
use freeze window to speed up the process.
It should fix the job. Or am I misunderstanding you?
Nicolay

In article <2007020521423975249-nflaatendeltetethis@onlinehatespamno>,
 Nicolay Flaaten <nflaaten_deltetethis@online_hatespam.no> wrote:

> On 2007-02-02 20:26:13 +0100, Greg Dember <greg@artocratic.com> said:
>
> > I'm working with 8.5  on a database that is served by a dedicated
> > hosting company (ODItech).  So, all of the users, plus myself (outside
> > developer)  access it remotely.
> >
> > I want to script an import of a found set from one table to another
> > within the same database file.
> >
> > The only way I can figure out to specify the source  file/table  is by
> > choosing it via the "remote" dialog.   So this ends up specifying the
> > path to the server as the location of the file.
> >
> > When I run the import, I get all records, rather than just the found
> > set.  Filemaker HELP explains that if the source file is closed, you
> > will indeed get all the records.  The file needs to be open to get the
> > found set.
> >
> > So, it makes sense to me that on the server, which is where I'm
> > specifying the source file to be,  that the file is closed.
> >

> > Does anybody have any suggestions how,  in a multi-user, served database
> > situation,  I can compel an import to only operate on a specific user's
> > found set?
> >

> > Thank you In Advance!!!!
> >

> > Greg
>
> Create a script that loops through all recrods, puts the record value
> into a local variable $Fields, then in the script create a new window,
> new record in the other table, Set the fields to the$Fields, close
> window, go to next record, and loop until the end.....
> use freeze window to speed up the process.
> It should fix the job. Or am I misunderstanding you?
> Nicolay

Nicolay -- thanks.  I could certainly do that, but I wanted to use
Filemaker's built-in "import" feature/script step.
0
greg3495 (82)