Mac connection to database lost under IP

A client has switched their FileMaker database to run under IP instead
of AppleTalk (to accomodate a single PC on their network). But now once
or twice a day a user will return to her Mac and find that the FileMaker
client has disconnected from the host database and needs to reconnect?

Any ideas what's going on? All machines are running Mac OS 9.x.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre

{$usenet$}@apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) hat geschrieben:

>But now once
>or twice a day a user will return to her Mac and find that the FileMaker
>client has disconnected from the host database and needs to reconnect?

Check the power settings. The connection may get lost when the user's
machine enters sleep mode.
0
Christoph
6/27/2003 1:46:12 PM

"D.M. Procida" wrote:

> A client has switched their FileMaker database to run under IP instead
> of AppleTalk (to accomodate a single PC on their network). But now once
> or twice a day a user will return to her Mac and find that the FileMaker
> client has disconnected from the host database and needs to reconnect?
>
> Any ideas what's going on? All machines are running Mac OS 9.x.

Two possibilities off the top of my head.

1. The Macs are going to sleep and losing the connection.

2. The Server is set to disconnect after x amount of idle time.

Both of these are related to AppleTalk being a "chatty" protocol, and
TCP/IP
being much quieter. AppleTalk machines are always saying 'look at me,
I'm
here' over the network, TCP/IP sends requests only when needed.

Cheers

Webko
0
Tim