Multiuser with Developer

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I want to build a multi-user app with filemaker developer 7.
I can open a database as a host with filemaker developer, but when I bind
it into an exe file, the file is not hosted anymore.
How can I make an exe file to host a database and how can I make an exe
file to remote-open this database?

Greetings,
Ben.
0
Reply bvdijk 1/1/2006 7:55:10 PM

See related articles to this posting

In article <Xns973ED4752AED5benvandijkREMOVEhccn@194.109.133.141>,
benvandijkREMOVE@hccnet.nl says...
> I want to build a multi-user app with filemaker developer 7.
> I can open a database as a host with filemaker developer, but when I bind
> it into an exe file, the file is not hosted anymore.
> How can I make an exe file to host a database and how can I make an exe
> file to remote-open this database?

You can't.

FM knows that letting people buy one copy of Developer and binding
multiuser solutions to be installed on 50 machines would seriously
cannibalize the sales of filemaker pro.

They would be right.

Thus, for a long long time now, all multiuser capabilities of Filemaker
'bound' solutions are single user only.

If you want to distribute a multiuser filemaker database, your users
will have to purchase filemaker pro (and a server to if its more than
just a few users).

-regards,
Dave

0
Reply 42 1/1/2006 8:07:43 PM

No, long ago, FMI understood that it was loosing a lot of revenue if
'Binded' bases could be seen as such in a network. So it it took away
that function. But those binded files (not the '.exe'' ones) can still
be seen with regular FMP that you have to buy...
Remi-Noel

"bvdijk" <benvandijkREMOVE@hccnet.nl> a �crit dans le message de news:
Xns973ED4752AED5benvandijkREMOVEhccn@194.109.133.141...
>I want to build a multi-user app with filemaker developer 7.
> I can open a database as a host with filemaker developer, but when I
> bind
> it into an exe file, the file is not hosted anymore.
> How can I make an exe file to host a database and how can I make an
> exe
> file to remote-open this database?
>
> Greetings,
> Ben.

0
Reply Remi 1/1/2006 9:05:38 PM
comp.databases.filemaker 10822 articles. 16 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Developers! Developers! Developers!
If only we had Steve Balmer to drum up more excitment for IIGS development…wouldn’t that be awesome?!?Maybe not… So you’ll just have to put up with me waving the rainbow coloured Apple flag and trying to get more people interested in coding some games for the IIGS. http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/for-home-brew-just-add-hops-skips-jumps-blood-sweat-tears I know it’s a big ask…but I know I’d regret it if I didn’t try in my limited capacity and skills. - Alex -- http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/ Here's my opinion on it, and I'll keep it short: look...

Developers (developers, developers, ...)
Hello, I've been writing some sort of renderer in my spare time for the last year or so. It's far from being RenderMan compliant, but that's the general goal ( http://kazzuya.com/ribtools ). I'm a complete beginner when it comes to off-line rendering. And it's been a quite a challenge to get this far 8) I don't see much activity around here, but I suspect that the old- schoolers are probably still checking the group. So, I'll try to ask: ...is there a currently more active and developer-inclined discussion forum ? I surely could use some hints 8) ...

Developers Developers Developers
Does Microsoft even have an AppStore? http://client.marketplace.windowsmobile.com/ guess not pocketgear has one but it supports like a 1000 devices. No way a developer can target a 1000 devices without having the app be crap. Funny seeing the boot on the other foot here. Hasn't been this way for Apple since ca 1988, when the Mac II had peak developer mindshare and DOS/Wintel truly, truly sucked. ...

Developers (developers, developers, ...)
Hello, I've been writing some sort of renderer in my spare time for the last year or so. It's far from being RenderMan compliant, but that's the general goal ( http://kazzuya.com/ribtools ). I'm a complete beginner when it comes to off-line rendering. And it's been a quite a challenge to get this far 8) I don't see much activity around here, but I suspect that the old- schoolers are probably still checking the group. So, I'll try to ask: ...is there a currently more active and developer-inclined discussion forum ? I surely could use some hints 8) ...

[News] Ian Murdock: Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers
Debian's Ian Speaks: Gaining Developer Mindshare Is Key ,----[ Quote ] | "Sun's Linux strategy is not well articulated. People who ask why I'm | at Sun say, 'I thought Sun was anti-Linux.' That's not true at all. | Solaris is the operating system of choice, no doubt at all, but there | is a certain part of the market that wants Linux. Why argue with that? | We can do a better job of articulating the Solaris strategy," Sun's | Ian Murdock said. `---- http://www.technewsworld.com/story/56996.html Related: Sun likes what it sees in the new GPL ,----[ Qu...

Microsoft loves Developers Developers Developers
OK, Microsoft offers a free toolkit, Visual Studio Express. OK, so people start tinkering with it. Then one of the brighter of these tinkerers comes up with a very useful extension to this toolkit, and offers it to anyone interested - for free, at that. Now, did Microsoft say "thank you"? Or did Microsoft even make him a nice offer to incorporate this popular extension into their next version of VSE? Or did they simply try to steal it off him? Um, not exactly: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39287310,00.htm?r=1 These people sure know how to shoot themselves in the fo...

[News] Firefox is All About Developers, Developers, Developers (Extensions)

[News] Linux Wins Because of Applications (Developers, Developers, Developers Come to Linux)
Red Hat growth: A tale of 2,000 applications ,----[ Quote ] | Red Hat's Linux business continues to boom, even when we don't give it the | credit that it deserves. What is the underlying reason for that growth? | | Applications. `---- http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9791171-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad Open Source for Business: Now More Than Ever, Part 1 ,----[ Quote ] | No App Scarcity | | The growth of open source applications in the business workplace, at least to | some degree, is the result of a large inventory of program choices. There is | no s...

US-NY: Brooklyn-Flash Developer, Actionscript Developer, Front End Developer
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Flash Developer, Actionscript Developer, Front End Developer Job Location: NY: Brooklyn Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2011-05-06 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Phone: ema...