Relationships within databases

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

This is my problem,,,

I have a clinet database which links to other databases:

Client database - Main
Phone numbers
Activity notes
Mortgages

I have clients who build a proerty portfolio's the issue is that some of
these properties are owned just in their name, some are owned in joint names
name and some are owned as a group of 3 individuals.

I have the Mortgage database showing as a Portal, currently linked by a
unique ID that is referenced to the main database.

What I want to be able to achieve is a way of showing only mortgages
relating to the clients they relate to. I'm confused how I can show this at
present.

At present I have 3 records for 3 different clients, each client has several
mortgages, some on their own, some with one of the other clients and some
with both of the other clients.

How can I build something where I'm not entering data twice?

I know it's confusing, I'm confused just trying to describe it.

PS Using FM 6

Ernie

0
Reply Falcon 1/12/2005 5:25:56 PM

See related articles to this posting

In article <E4dFd.71836$C8.28058@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk> Falcon,
sorry@ihatespam.com writes:
>What I want to be able to achieve is a way of showing only mortgages
>relating to the clients they relate to. I'm confused how I can show this at
>present.

Ernie, I'm still learning too, and I'm sure there are different ways of
doing this, but I think the basic setup could be as follows...
In your client database file each client should have a unique 'Client id'.
Then in your mortgages database file you need to add a 'client id' field.
This is the only bit of data you need to duplicate.
Then set up a relationship from your client file to mortgage file using
Client Id as the key field.
Then in your chosen layout in your client file you can add a portal
showing the mortgage file records. Whatever client you're looking at,
their mortgages will appear in the portal.

I'm not sure of the best way to cope with clients working together. I
wonder if each group of clients working together should get their own
Client Id.
Alternatively perhaps the client id field in mortgages file could be set
to a repeating field so it could hold more than one client?

Gary
0
Reply Ovalking 1/12/2005 10:20:53 PM

Thanks I have done all of that it is the stage that you describe below that
has me perplexed!

Thanks for the suggestions however.

Ernie

> I'm not sure of the best way to cope with clients working together. I
> wonder if each group of clients working together should get their own
> Client Id.
> Alternatively perhaps the client id field in mortgages file could be set
> to a repeating field so it could hold more than one client?
>
> Gary

0
Reply Falcon 1/12/2005 10:40:24 PM

Falcon wrote:
> This is my problem,,,
>
> I have a clinet database which links to other databases:
>
> Client database - Main
> Phone numbers
> Activity notes
> Mortgages
>
> I have clients who build a proerty portfolio's the issue is that some of
> these properties are owned just in their name, some are owned in joint names
> name and some are owned as a group of 3 individuals.
>
> I have the Mortgage database showing as a Portal, currently linked by a
> unique ID that is referenced to the main database.
>
> What I want to be able to achieve is a way of showing only mortgages
> relating to the clients they relate to. I'm confused how I can show this at
> present.
>
> At present I have 3 records for 3 different clients, each client has several
> mortgages, some on their own, some with one of the other clients and some
> with both of the other clients.
>
> How can I build something where I'm not entering data twice?
>
> I know it's confusing, I'm confused just trying to describe it.
>
> PS Using FM 6
>
> Ernie

you need an additional table: Mortgage Clients, fields Motrgage_ID and
Client_ID
create a rel from Mortgage to Mortgage Clients using Mortgage_ID
and enter the clients (Client_ID) in a portal... so you can have one or
unlimited clients per mortgage
i.e. you need to pass the Client ID into the Mortgage Client

then create a rel from Clients to Mortgage Client using Client_ID, and
you can use a portal to show all the client mortgages

Chris Brown
Neurosurgery
university of Adelaide

0
Reply Chris 1/12/2005 11:21:44 PM

Thanks Chris, will try and give that a go, if I can get my head around
that!!!

Ernie

0
Reply Falcon 1/13/2005 7:52:41 AM

Chris can you help me understand this better please?

you need an additional table: Mortgage Clients, fields Motrgage_ID and
> Client_ID -

ok done.

>create a rel from Mortgage to Mortgage Clients using Mortgage_ID

Ok here!

> > and enter the clients (Client_ID) in a portal... so you can have one or
> unlimited clients per mortgage

So where is this portal? - Client datbase or Mortgage database?

> i.e. you need to pass the Client ID into the Mortgage Client - how is the
> client ID created, I can't see the way this works on paper or in my head
> so I'm strugling with FM side as you can see. I'm sure it can be done
> however!

Thanks Chris

> then create a rel from Clients to Mortgage Client using Client_ID, and you
> can use a portal to show all the client mortgages
>

> Chris Brown
> Neurosurgery
> university of Adelaide

0
Reply Falcon 1/13/2005 8:48:33 AM

In article <BBqFd.137505$Z7.101788@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk> Falcon,
sorry@ihatespam.com writes:
>So where is this portal? - Client datbase or Mortgage database?

Ernie, I think Chris means putting a portal in a layout in the Mortgage
database. Then drag the field Mortgage Clients::Client Id into the portal.
When you create the relationship from Mortgage database to Mortgage
Clients database check the box to allow creation of records. Then you
just add clients to a mortgage by adding their client Id into the portal.
The thing I don't know is how to show the other client type fields in the
portal (in addition to their Id).

Gary
0
Reply Ovalking 1/13/2005 8:00:15 PM

Ovalking wrote:
> In article <BBqFd.137505$Z7.101788@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk> Falcon,
> sorry@ihatespam.com writes:
>
>>So where is this portal? - Client datbase or Mortgage database?
>

> Ernie, I think Chris means putting a portal in a layout in the Mortgage
> database. Then drag the field Mortgage Clients::Client Id into the portal.
> When you create the relationship from Mortgage database to Mortgage
> Clients database check the box to allow creation of records. Then you
> just add clients to a mortgage by adding their client Id into the portal.
> The thing I don't know is how to show the other client type fields in the
> portal (in addition to their Id).
>
> Gary

as  Ovalking indicated:
a portal in Mortgages, using a  Mortgage_ID::Mortgage_ID rel to
Mortagage Clients, will show the clients for the current Mortgage record.

If that rel is set for allow create new, then the Client_ID can be typed
into the last portal (blank) row, to create a record. There are other ways.

First though you need a list of all clients (or you could of course
navigate to Clients db). You could show this list by a portal in
mortages using a constant rel (1:1) from mortagges to clients. Switching
to a dedicated  layout might be warranted re screen real estate. Instead
of a constant rel a 'filtered' rel could be created  by using  a global
letter (scripted in) to _first letter of client surname  calc. It
depends on how many clients, and how necessary it is to avoid excessive
scrolling... Whichever way, grab the Client_ID from the portal row, and
either script it across to the Mortagage Clients db, or type it in the
Mortagage Clients portal as above.

If you want to script it, as you are in FM6 , you will need to create  a
key_NewMortagageClients field (global) in Mortagages. and create an acrr
rel to Mortagage Clients. The key will hold the Mortgage_ID and
Client_ID values...
e.g M0235 C0748
get back if more detail required

Gary also wrote:
 > The thing I don't know is how to show the other client type fields in the
 > portal (in addition to their Id).

If you were using FM7 this is very easy: just create a (hopped) rel from
MortagageClients to Clients using Client_ID, and put the hopped
MortagageClients fields in the portal. In FM6, you will need to create a
rel from MortagageClients to Clients using Client_ID, and then a calc
field(s) in MortagageClients to return the related data; a join file
approach, tehn add those calc fields to your portal.

regards

Chris

0
Reply Chris 1/14/2005 1:57:04 AM

Falcon wrote:
> Chris can you help me understand this better please?
>
> you need an additional table: Mortgage Clients, fields Motrgage_ID and
>
>>Client_ID -
>

> ok done.
>

>>create a rel from Mortgage to Mortgage Clients using Mortgage_ID
>

> Ok here!
>

>>>and enter the clients (Client_ID) in a portal... so you can have one or
>>
>>unlimited clients per mortgage
>

> So where is this portal? - Client datbase or Mortgage database?
>

>>i.e. you need to pass the Client ID into the Mortgage Client - how is the
>>client ID created, I can't see the way this works on paper or in my head
>>so I'm strugling with FM side as you can see. I'm sure it can be done
>>however!

see reply to Ovalking re the where it is

As for how the Client_ID is created, you need a Client_ID field in
Clients. Create a text field and set the options to auto enter serial
value C00001 with 1 increment. Make it's validations unique and not
empty. This way each time you create a new client (record in Clients),
the value will be created. As you already have clients, you will need to
use Replace command to enter the series. Go to a list or table view,
show all records, click in the ID field, and select Records/Replace
field contents. Type your starting value in the appropriate box (e.g
C00001) and replace. check the Update ... box . For future reference, be
careful when using Rep-lace, it can't be 'undone'. Create and practice
on a temporary field if you have to. With blank data it doesn't matter

As a rule of thumb, always use unique serial ID rather than names... for
data tables.  ID's avoid duplications (Jo Smith,  John Smith...) and
spelling/entry errors... smaller, faster... a host of reasons.

regards

Chris

0
Reply Chris 1/14/2005 2:09:01 AM

Ok, I'm wondering if I have explained myself very clearly and if what I'm
trying to do is possible!

3 Files

Clients, Mortgages & Mortgage Client

Clients: - Name, address, phone numbers etc.....
Mortgages:- Lender, amount of loan, valuation, purchase price etc....
Mortgage Clients:- who is part to one of the mortgage above.

Fields used here.

Clients:- Client ID (Using serail value C000001 and set to auto increment)
Mortgages:-  Mort ID
Mort Clients:- Mort ID & Client ID

Relationships
Mortgages & Mortgage Client: Using Mort ID
Clients & Mort Clients: Using Client ID

Portals
Portal in Mortgages allowing data entry into Mortgage Clients
Portal in Clients allowing data to be shown in Mort Clients

Needs: I want to be able to enter data through the portal from Clients, into
Mortgages / Mortgage Clients.

PROBLEMS

1) From clients I am able to see very little data of use, the available
fields to select are only Mort ID & Client ID. (Client ID is a numeric
number eg C000001 and Mort ID is set to numeric eg 23
2) If I go direct to Mortgages,  the fields become locked and won't allow
data entry.

What I Did!

Creating the portals is not a problem.....I'm used to using portals.

I did set up some additional fields within Mort Clients to extract the data
required from Mortgages by way of a calculation. This worked fine except I
could not amend or insert any data because the fields I used were
calculations!

Any suggestions appreciated!

Ernie

0
Reply Falcon 1/14/2005 12:54:08 PM

Judging by your record-locking problems between windows, I'm guessing
you must be in 7.  If you are in a record in one window (say, in a
portal row to mortgages), and then you go to another window (Mortgages
itself), then the Mortgage record will be locked.

To help with your problem #1.  Your portal is correct from Clients to
MortClients.  But to put useful data in the portal, the fields you want
to put in the portal should be from the Mortgages table.

Falcon wrote:
> Ok, I'm wondering if I have explained myself very clearly and if what I'm
> trying to do is possible!
>
> 3 Files
>
> Clients, Mortgages & Mortgage Client
>
> Clients: - Name, address, phone numbers etc.....
> Mortgages:- Lender, amount of loan, valuation, purchase price etc....
> Mortgage Clients:- who is part to one of the mortgage above.
>
> Fields used here.
>
> Clients:- Client ID (Using serail value C000001 and set to auto increment)
> Mortgages:-  Mort ID
> Mort Clients:- Mort ID & Client ID
>
> Relationships
> Mortgages & Mortgage Client: Using Mort ID
> Clients & Mort Clients: Using Client ID
>
> Portals
> Portal in Mortgages allowing data entry into Mortgage Clients
> Portal in Clients allowing data to be shown in Mort Clients
>
> Needs: I want to be able to enter data through the portal from Clients, into
> Mortgages / Mortgage Clients.
>
> PROBLEMS
>
> 1) From clients I am able to see very little data of use, the available
> fields to select are only Mort ID & Client ID. (Client ID is a numeric
> number eg C000001 and Mort ID is set to numeric eg 23
> 2) If I go direct to Mortgages,  the fields become locked and won't allow
> data entry.
>
> What I Did!
>
> Creating the portals is not a problem.....I'm used to using portals.
>
> I did set up some additional fields within Mort Clients to extract the data
> required from Mortgages by way of a calculation. This worked fine except I
> could not amend or insert any data because the fields I used were
> calculations!
>
> Any suggestions appreciated!
>
> Ernie

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California

FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
Reply Howard 1/14/2005 6:01:38 PM

Howard, I'm using FM6

How can you get fields from Mortgages to show in the portal window. Unless a
relationship is developed it won't allow this!

Or am I wrong?

If a relationship is required, how do you do this because a mortgage might
relate to one or more clients?

Ernie

0
Reply Falcon 1/14/2005 6:17:30 PM

I was assuming you were in FM7, where you can put fields from another
table down the relationship chain into a portal somewhere else in the
relationship chain.

For 6, you need to create a set of unstored calc fields in the
MortClients file to give you what you want to see in the portal.  So,
for example, create a Lender calc field in the MortClients file that has
a text result, is unstored and points to the Lender field in the
Mortgages file.

with this, you have a portal on your Clients layouts that points to
MortClients, and you can now put that Lender calc field (from
MortClients) in the portal.

Falcon wrote:
> Howard, I'm using FM6
>
> How can you get fields from Mortgages to show in the portal window. Unless a
> relationship is developed it won't allow this!
>
> Or am I wrong?
>
> If a relationship is required, how do you do this because a mortgage might
> relate to one or more clients?
>
> Ernie

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California

FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
Reply Howard 1/14/2005 6:32:47 PM

I have done that Howard, but again am I right in thinking that becasue it's
a calc field, I can't enter data via the portal?

"Howard Schlossberg" <howard@antispahm.fmprosolutions.com> wrote in message
>I was assuming you were in FM7, where you can put fields from another table
>down the relationship chain into a portal somewhere else in the
>relationship chain.
>
> For 6, you need to create a set of unstored calc fields in the MortClients
> file to give you what you want to see in the portal.  So, for example,
> create a Lender calc field in the MortClients file that has a text result,
> is unstored and points to the Lender field in the Mortgages file.
>
> with this, you have a portal on your Clients layouts that points to
> MortClients, and you can now put that Lender calc field (from MortClients)
> in the portal.
>

> Falcon wrote:
>> Howard, I'm using FM6
>>
>> How can you get fields from Mortgages to show in the portal window.
>> Unless a relationship is developed it won't allow this!
>>
>> Or am I wrong?
>>
>> If a relationship is required, how do you do this because a mortgage
>> might relate to one or more clients?
>>
>> Ernie
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
> FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California
>
> FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
> Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance

0
Reply Falcon 1/14/2005 7:59:16 PM

Ahhh -- correct you are.  Best you might do is to go to the related
MortClients record where you have a layout with the related Mortgage
fields and allwo the data entry from there.  Click a 'done' button to go
back to the Client record.

Falcon wrote:
> I have done that Howard, but again am I right in thinking that becasue it's
> a calc field, I can't enter data via the portal?
>

> "Howard Schlossberg" <howard@antispahm.fmprosolutions.com> wrote in message
>
>>I was assuming you were in FM7, where you can put fields from another table
>>down the relationship chain into a portal somewhere else in the
>>relationship chain.
>>
>>For 6, you need to create a set of unstored calc fields in the MortClients
>>file to give you what you want to see in the portal.  So, for example,
>>create a Lender calc field in the MortClients file that has a text result,
>>is unstored and points to the Lender field in the Mortgages file.
>>
>>with this, you have a portal on your Clients layouts that points to
>>MortClients, and you can now put that Lender calc field (from MortClients)
>>in the portal.
>>

>>Falcon wrote:
>>
>>>Howard, I'm using FM6
>>>
>>>How can you get fields from Mortgages to show in the portal window.
>>>Unless a relationship is developed it won't allow this!
>>>
>>>Or am I wrong?
>>>
>>>If a relationship is required, how do you do this because a mortgage
>>>might relate to one or more clients?
>>>
>>>Ernie
>>
>>--
>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
>>FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California
>>
>>FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
>>Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California

FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
Reply Howard 1/14/2005 8:14:54 PM

Ok, I have the portal showing the correct info for each client!

I can't edit data in the portal directly, so I have created a button to
create new mortgages!

I am trying to create a button now that will take me back to the Mortgage so
I can edit / change the data!
I can use goto related record because their is no relationship between:

Clients & Mortgages = (each mortgage can belong to several people)

How do I create a script to identify the right mortgage and take me to that
page?

Thanks

Ernie

0
Reply Falcon 1/15/2005 11:43:40 AM

In article <Ml7Gd.137829$48.17406@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk> Falcon,
sorry@ihatespam.com writes:
>How do I create a script to identify the right mortgage and take me to that
>page?

How about something like:
Copy Mortgage Id
Switch to Mortgages
Enter Find mode
Paste Mortgage Id
Perform Find

?
0
Reply Ovalking 1/15/2005 2:20:52 PM

 From CLients to Mortgages, the quickest way would be:

Set Field [gMortgageID; MortClients::MortgageID]
GTRR [Mortgages_by_Single_MortgageID]

Falcon wrote:
> Ok, I have the portal showing the correct info for each client!
>
> I can't edit data in the portal directly, so I have created a button to
> create new mortgages!
>
> I am trying to create a button now that will take me back to the Mortgage so
> I can edit / change the data!
> I can use goto related record because their is no relationship between:
>
> Clients & Mortgages = (each mortgage can belong to several people)
>
> How do I create a script to identify the right mortgage and take me to that
> page?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ernie

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California

FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
Reply Howard 1/15/2005 6:28:44 PM

Howard I don't recognise some of this?

gMortgageID - What is the g, it's not a field I have. Should I create a
Field gMortgageID?

GTRR ??? What does this do?

Mortgages_by_Single_MortgageID - Is this another field?

Set Field [gMortgageID; MortClients::MortgageID]
> GTRR [Mortgages_by_Single_MortgageID]

0
Reply Falcon 1/15/2005 10:46:35 PM

Sorry for the shorthand--

> gMortgageID - What is the g, it's not a field I have. Should I create a
> Field gMortgageID?

The g indicates that it is a global field, something you'll need to
create if you don't already have a global field to use.

> GTRR ??? What does this do?

This is an abreviation for thr 'go to related records' script step.

> Mortgages_by_Single_MortgageID - Is this another field?

This is a new relationship from the gMortgageID field to the MortgageID
in the Mortgages file.

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California

FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
Reply Howard 1/15/2005 11:04:43 PM

Thanks everyone, got there in the end!

Ernie

0
Reply Falcon 1/16/2005 8:30:43 AM
comp.databases.filemaker 10824 articles. 16 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Relationships within databases - Repost!
Chris can you help me understand this better please? you need an additional table: Mortgage Clients, fields Motrgage_ID and > Client_ID - ok done. >create a rel from Mortgage to Mortgage Clients using Mortgage_ID Ok here! > > and enter the clients (Client_ID) in a portal... so you can have one or > unlimited clients per mortgage So where is this portal? - Client datbase or Mortgage database? > i.e. you need to pass the Client ID into the Mortgage Client - how is the > client ID created, I can't see the way this works on paper or in my head > so I'm strugl...

Opening Another Database from WITHIN a Database
I have a database (2000.mdb) which links to my data tables (Data2000.mdb). The database has a Main Menu screen (not a switchboard - a custom one). I need to import records from 5 text files into the 5 different Tables in Data2000.mdb. Here was my plan: Create various Import specs in Data2000.mdb Create a Macro (in Data2000.mdb) which calls each of the specs sequentially. Place a button on the Main Menu (2000.mdb), which closes the current database (optional), opens Data2000.mdb, runs the Macro (Import Reg), then returns the user to the original Menu in the original database (200...

Close another database from within a separate database.
Have to call up a 2nd database from within the first. Can open the 2nd database no problem, but when the user is done with the 2nd database and closes the form, or exits the 2nd database, how can I move the focus back to the 1st database, close the 2nd database, and have the form in the 1st database restored to it's original position? Take a look at the TSOON utility (Trigeminal Shut One, Open Next) at: http://www.trigeminal.com/lang/1033/utility.asp?ItemID=8#8 -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia. Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply...

Relationship between users, database applications, DBMS, and database
Hi, I need to explain in one paragraph relationship between users, database applications, DBMS, and database. It is not so easy to summarize all important things in one paragraph. Can somebody help me? Thank you in advance I'm sure some more technically minded participant of this group will provide a more in depth description. Here it is in layman's terms. A database is information that resides in a disk. The database management system (DBMS) is a set of programs, middleware if you will, which allow read and write access to the database. A database application is a set of...

Open Access Database Form from within Access database
I have included the following code to open an Access database form from within an exsisting Access database. But when I run the code, it appears that it opens the database because in windows explorer I can see the database has the .ldb file extension. So it appears that it's open, but I can't see the database or the form that I've tried to open. What am I doing wrong. The following is the code: 'This is in the declaration part of the module Dim appAccess As Access.Application ' Initialize string to database path. Const strConPathToSamples = "C:\Documents a...

Displaying database name within select within UNION
I have the following stored procedure in SQL 2000 and would like to diplay the database name where data is drawn from. I'm using 4 databases db1, db2, db3, db4 which all have the same table (Table1) with identical column names (Surname, GivenNames). CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[x_searchwildcard] @varSurname VARChar(25) AS Select a.Surname, a.GivenNames From [db1]..Table1 As a Where a.Surname LIKE @varSurname + '%' UNION Select a.Surname, a.GivenNames From [db2]..Table1 As a Where a.Surname LIKE @varSurname + '%' UNION Select a.Surname, a.GivenNames From [db...

database relationship
I am using filemkaker 6 on 2 mac's and 3 Ibm's So I have 6 databases and 5 users The last database needs to be a relation of all the other databases. So when user1 enters someones name, and address it shows up on the master database. Then when user2 enters soemone into his database the same thing happens. the 5 users have there own seperate databases that stand alone and do not need to relate to each other. Just all 5 need to create records in the final database as they enter them into there own records. Scotland scotlandak <scotland@nospam.ak.net> wrote: > I am us...

Designing a database within a database... design question storing data...
I have a system that basically stores a database within a database (I'm sure lots have you have done this before in some form or another). At the end of the day, I'm storing the actual data generically in a column of type nvarchar(4000), but I want to add support for unlimited text. I want to do this in a smart fashion. Right now I am leaning towards putting 2 nullable Value fields: ValueLong ntext nullable ValueShort nvarchar(4000) nullable and dynamically storing the info in one or the other depending on the size. ASP.NET does this exact very thing in it's Session State model;...

Relationships in a database
I have a database consisting of employees and products. Each product gets checked by 2 employees only. The tables look like this: Employees: EmployeeID EmployeeName etc Products: ProductID Product Employee1ID Employee2ID My question: How do I create the relationship between the 2 tables, or do I need to create a junction table or something similar. Thanks kevin@ebucksmail.com wrote: > I have a database consisting of employees and products. Each product gets > checked by 2 employees only. The tables look like this: > > Employees: > EmployeeID > EmployeeName etc > &...

Need to Open Database from another Database and delete table within
I am trying to open Database #2 while in Database #1 and delete a table that is in #2 so that I can copy a table from #1 into #2 - all through a function. My Database #2, as part of the start up, opens a form for user sign in. It is not starting up with autoexec. I do not want the function to open the window and subsequently open the form in Database #2. Is there anyway to get around this? If I put the open form in the autoexec and not in the start up, can I work around it? And if so, can anyone offer any help or suggestions on the how to's. I have spent the day trying to find a way...

More about relationship in a database
Assume I have a table in the database called Inventory. Now what is a resonable design type between Inventory and Product. Where should the foreign key be placed ? //Tony Tony Johansson (johansson.andersson@telia.com) writes: > Assume I have a table in the database called Inventory. > Now what is a resonable design type between Inventory and Product. > Where should the foreign key be placed ? That depends on what's in these tables. If a given product can be associated with one given invetory at a time, the InventoryId would be a foreign-key column in the Prod...

I thought Flash/Flex could tie into databases, so wouldn't Oracle want to keep developing JavaFX and include within it database access?
I thought Flash/Flex could tie into databases, so wouldn't Oracle want to keep developing JavaFX and include within it database access? -- Regards, Casey "Casey Hawthorne" <caseyhHAMMER_TIME@istar.ca> wrote in message news:9lbtu4hqbi9uj3f674ct0t5c32t78u854t@4ax.com... > I thought Flash/Flex could tie into databases, so wouldn't Oracle want > to keep developing JavaFX and include within it database access? > -- I doubt Oracle has much interest in developing JavaFX but I hope I am wrong as it looks like a surprisingly good piece of technology. If they truly ...

Patient database and relationships
I have been working on building a database for patient files and am trying to set up a new visit portal. bill gave me some great help but I continue to be stuck. I have been using the filemaker Bible but sometimes reading does not always help in the real world. I have set up a second database that I call patient visits. i used a unique patient ID as the relationship and set up a portal with that relationship. I am trying to get the patient visit database to use that ID to put in the last name, first name, and date of birth from the master file but am having trouble setting up that type...

database tables and relationships
Hi, Just wondering if any one can help with my table layout and relationship design for my database, the total design is not quite finished as you can probably see, Any help would be greatly appreciated..... 1. The purpose of this database will be to store race results for drag racers this will include specifications of there cars, car setups, engine specs, track conditions, weather conditions and race results. I would like to be able to look up different weather conditions from previous events so that i can set the car and engine up similar as to keep race times as consistent as possible. ...

question about database relationship
Does this relationship look correct to you? http://www.mypicx.com/10022009/relationship/ Employee,Employee_1,Employee_2,Employee_3 are the same one table called "Employee" Thanks=EF=BC=8C Shanq Yup "shanq" <xialishanqing@gmail.com> wrote in message news:01b30274-95ac-4914-8ff6-fe56bb932731@c3g2000yqd.googlegroups.com... Does this relationship look correct to you? http://www.mypicx.com/10022009/relationship/ Employee,Employee_1,Employee_2,Employee_3 are the same one table called "Employee" Thanks, Shanq I knew it! It's kind of weird to have ...

Relationship Issues (in the database that is)
Hi, I've been working on a relationship in a FMP database I'm creating. Basically the master database has names of institutions and general info about them. The secondary database has a record for each event they attend of which there are 3 different types (Research, Teaching, Service) Now in the master database I would like to have 3 listings of the events they've attending. So there would be a list of all the Research events, one for teaching and one for service. What I did was create a calc field in the secondary database that combined the instituition name with the type of...

Object Database Relationships
Until about a week ago I didn't realise there was anything other than CMP entity beans for mapping database tables and their relationships to java objects. I now know there are a large number of options out there but can anyone help me clear the mud and point me in a direction? I am starting a project completely from scratch. I pretty much have the database schema designed and am wondering if I can generate all my tables, objects and relationships based on schema files. Is there a tool out there suited to this approach? Can anyone give any suggestions? BTW, I'm coming...

Hyperlinking within a Database
Hello, I have a listing report that lists all the different report numbers for a given person. Is it possible to have each of the report numbers as a hyperlink that would point to actual report itself? If it is not possible to do it inside the listing report itself, is it possible to do that in the query (datasheet view)? Thank you for your help. --Jason Coleman On Feb 22, 11:18 am, "colemanj4" <colema...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I have a listing report that lists all the different report numbers > for a given person. Is it possible to have each of the re...

Split database: relationships not showing at all
Hi all, I have split my database a while ago, and now, I want to add a table with relationships to other existing tables. I open the BE, create my table, and then go to the relationships design, but there is no tables, no relationships. Even when I add all my tables, the relationships don't show up. I tried the "Show all" and "Show direct" relationships buttons, but nothing. I know that they are here cause when I create a new query with related tables, I can see the relations (although they are just line, with no arrows). I still have my old database that is not split ...

database formation--relationship and forms
Hi, I have a database with four tables. tbl_Client client_alias (PK, text) tbl_Matters matterID (PK, autonumber) matter (text) client_alias (foreign key, tbl_Client) tbl_Storage_Inventory box_number (PK, number) date employee_initials (text) tbl_File_Details box_number (foreign key, tbl_Storage_Inventory) matterID (foreign key, tbl_Matters) contents (memo field) All of the joins between tables are a one-to-many enforced join eg--[tbl Client].[client alias] to [tbl Matters].[client alias] or [tbl Storage Inventory].[box number] to [tbl File Detalis].[box number] My problem has arisen fr...

Folders within mysql database?
Is it possible to have 'folders' within a mysql database that holds separate tables. I want to be able to have several sites from subdomains to access a single database but each site will need to access tables of the same name. Is the only way to do this to have a different database for each, as that would start to get expensive. Thanks chris_huh wrote: > Is it possible to have 'folders' within a mysql database that holds > separate tables. I want to be able to have several sites from > subdomains to access a single database but each site will need to > access ta...

Transportable tablespaces within the same database
Instead of transporting a tablespace between 2 databases .... can one transport the tablespace to the same database to essentially "restore" a tablespace to the state when the datafiles were copied ? e.g.: Assuming I have only one user that owns objects in the tablespace(s): 1) alter tablespace ts1 read_only; alter tablespace ts2 read_only; 2) EXP TRANSPORT_TABLESPACE=y TABLESPACES=(ts1,ts2) TRIGGERS=y CONSTRAINTS=n GRANTS=n FILE=tsexpdat.dmp 3) Copy the datafiles of tablespaces ts1 and ts2 to a different location. 4) Drop all objects owned by user 5) IMP TRANSPORT_TABLE...

how to find relationships in mySql database
I need to analyze a MySQL database. I know how to normalize a database but don't know MySQL administration. We have the phpAdmin and the database is stored on a server off site. All I can see there is the tables. How do I find the data dictionary or the key fields and constraints? I would like to document the system eventually but now there are problems with users of the interface and they want additional features. I read about DAtaArchitect? Can anyone recommend it or should I just use Visio to document the ERD? Are there other tools. thanks, On 21 May, 13:37, JRough <jlro...@y...

Is GENERATE_UNIQUE unique only within a database?
generate_unique() function yields a value that is a timestamp plus partition number. If you have multiple instances of the same database that use columns with values generated from this function, dups can happen, right?! Bill Leung Correct. To make it unique, you'd have to generate some unique number based on the database name at append it. sql-db2-dba wrote: > generate_unique() function yields a value that is a timestamp plus > partition number. If you have multiple instances of the same database > that use columns with values generated from this function, dups ca...