Relationships within databases

This is my problem,,,

I have a clinet database which links to other databases:

Client database - Main
Phone numbers
Activity notes
Mortgages

I have clients who build a proerty portfolio's the issue is that some of
these properties are owned just in their name, some are owned in joint names
name and some are owned as a group of 3 individuals.

I have the Mortgage database showing as a Portal, currently linked by a
unique ID that is referenced to the main database.

What I want to be able to achieve is a way of showing only mortgages
relating to the clients they relate to. I'm confused how I can show this at
present.

At present I have 3 records for 3 different clients, each client has several
mortgages, some on their own, some with one of the other clients and some
with both of the other clients.

How can I build something where I'm not entering data twice?

I know it's confusing, I'm confused just trying to describe it.

PS Using FM 6

Ernie

0
Falcon
1/12/2005 5:25:56 PM
comp.databases.filemaker 11089 articles. 0 followers. amosw01 (46) is leader. Post Follow

In article <E4dFd.71836$C8.28058@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk> Falcon,
sorry@ihatespam.com writes:
>What I want to be able to achieve is a way of showing only mortgages
>relating to the clients they relate to. I'm confused how I can show this at
>present.

Ernie, I'm still learning too, and I'm sure there are different ways of
doing this, but I think the basic setup could be as follows...
In your client database file each client should have a unique 'Client id'.
Then in your mortgages database file you need to add a 'client id' field.
This is the only bit of data you need to duplicate.
Then set up a relationship from your client file to mortgage file using
Client Id as the key field.
Then in your chosen layout in your client file you can add a portal
showing the mortgage file records. Whatever client you're looking at,
their mortgages will appear in the portal.

I'm not sure of the best way to cope with clients working together. I
wonder if each group of clients working together should get their own
Client Id.
Alternatively perhaps the client id field in mortgages file could be set
to a repeating field so it could hold more than one client?

Gary
0
Ovalking
1/12/2005 10:20:53 PM
Thanks I have done all of that it is the stage that you describe below that
has me perplexed!

Thanks for the suggestions however.

Ernie

> I'm not sure of the best way to cope with clients working together. I
> wonder if each group of clients working together should get their own
> Client Id.
> Alternatively perhaps the client id field in mortgages file could be set
> to a repeating field so it could hold more than one client?
>
> Gary

0
Falcon
1/12/2005 10:40:24 PM
Falcon wrote:
> This is my problem,,,
>
> I have a clinet database which links to other databases:
>
> Client database - Main
> Phone numbers
> Activity notes
> Mortgages
>
> I have clients who build a proerty portfolio's the issue is that some of
> these properties are owned just in their name, some are owned in joint names
> name and some are owned as a group of 3 individuals.
>
> I have the Mortgage database showing as a Portal, currently linked by a
> unique ID that is referenced to the main database.
>
> What I want to be able to achieve is a way of showing only mortgages
> relating to the clients they relate to. I'm confused how I can show this at
> present.
>
> At present I have 3 records for 3 different clients, each client has several
> mortgages, some on their own, some with one of the other clients and some
> with both of the other clients.
>
> How can I build something where I'm not entering data twice?
>
> I know it's confusing, I'm confused just trying to describe it.
>
> PS Using FM 6
>
> Ernie

you need an additional table: Mortgage Clients, fields Motrgage_ID and
Client_ID
create a rel from Mortgage to Mortgage Clients using Mortgage_ID
and enter the clients (Client_ID) in a portal... so you can have one or
unlimited clients per mortgage
i.e. you need to pass the Client ID into the Mortgage Client

then create a rel from Clients to Mortgage Client using Client_ID, and
you can use a portal to show all the client mortgages

Chris Brown
Neurosurgery
university of Adelaide

0
Chris
1/12/2005 11:21:44 PM
Thanks Chris, will try and give that a go, if I can get my head around
that!!!

Ernie

0
Falcon
1/13/2005 7:52:41 AM
Chris can you help me understand this better please?

you need an additional table: Mortgage Clients, fields Motrgage_ID and
> Client_ID -

ok done.

>create a rel from Mortgage to Mortgage Clients using Mortgage_ID

Ok here!

> > and enter the clients (Client_ID) in a portal... so you can have one or
> unlimited clients per mortgage

So where is this portal? - Client datbase or Mortgage database?

> i.e. you need to pass the Client ID into the Mortgage Client - how is the
> client ID created, I can't see the way this works on paper or in my head
> so I'm strugling with FM side as you can see. I'm sure it can be done
> however!

Thanks Chris

> then create a rel from Clients to Mortgage Client using Client_ID, and you
> can use a portal to show all the client mortgages
>

> Chris Brown
> Neurosurgery
> university of Adelaide

0
Falcon
1/13/2005 8:48:33 AM
In article <BBqFd.137505$Z7.101788@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk> Falcon,
sorry@ihatespam.com writes:
>So where is this portal? - Client datbase or Mortgage database?

Ernie, I think Chris means putting a portal in a layout in the Mortgage
database. Then drag the field Mortgage Clients::Client Id into the portal.
When you create the relationship from Mortgage database to Mortgage
Clients database check the box to allow creation of records. Then you
just add clients to a mortgage by adding their client Id into the portal.
The thing I don't know is how to show the other client type fields in the
portal (in addition to their Id).

Gary
0
Ovalking
1/13/2005 8:00:15 PM
Ovalking wrote:
> In article <BBqFd.137505$Z7.101788@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk> Falcon,
> sorry@ihatespam.com writes:
>
>>So where is this portal? - Client datbase or Mortgage database?
>

> Ernie, I think Chris means putting a portal in a layout in the Mortgage
> database. Then drag the field Mortgage Clients::Client Id into the portal.
> When you create the relationship from Mortgage database to Mortgage
> Clients database check the box to allow creation of records. Then you
> just add clients to a mortgage by adding their client Id into the portal.
> The thing I don't know is how to show the other client type fields in the
> portal (in addition to their Id).
>
> Gary

as  Ovalking indicated:
a portal in Mortgages, using a  Mortgage_ID::Mortgage_ID rel to
Mortagage Clients, will show the clients for the current Mortgage record.

If that rel is set for allow create new, then the Client_ID can be typed
into the last portal (blank) row, to create a record. There are other ways.

First though you need a list of all clients (or you could of course
navigate to Clients db). You could show this list by a portal in
mortages using a constant rel (1:1) from mortagges to clients. Switching
to a dedicated  layout might be warranted re screen real estate. Instead
of a constant rel a 'filtered' rel could be created  by using  a global
letter (scripted in) to _first letter of client surname  calc. It
depends on how many clients, and how necessary it is to avoid excessive
scrolling... Whichever way, grab the Client_ID from the portal row, and
either script it across to the Mortagage Clients db, or type it in the
Mortagage Clients portal as above.

If you want to script it, as you are in FM6 , you will need to create  a
key_NewMortagageClients field (global) in Mortagages. and create an acrr
rel to Mortagage Clients. The key will hold the Mortgage_ID and
Client_ID values...
e.g M0235 C0748
get back if more detail required

Gary also wrote:
 > The thing I don't know is how to show the other client type fields in the
 > portal (in addition to their Id).

If you were using FM7 this is very easy: just create a (hopped) rel from
MortagageClients to Clients using Client_ID, and put the hopped
MortagageClients fields in the portal. In FM6, you will need to create a
rel from MortagageClients to Clients using Client_ID, and then a calc
field(s) in MortagageClients to return the related data; a join file
approach, tehn add those calc fields to your portal.

regards

Chris

0
Chris
1/14/2005 1:57:04 AM
Falcon wrote:
> Chris can you help me understand this better please?
>
> you need an additional table: Mortgage Clients, fields Motrgage_ID and
>
>>Client_ID -
>

> ok done.
>

>>create a rel from Mortgage to Mortgage Clients using Mortgage_ID
>

> Ok here!
>

>>>and enter the clients (Client_ID) in a portal... so you can have one or
>>
>>unlimited clients per mortgage
>

> So where is this portal? - Client datbase or Mortgage database?
>

>>i.e. you need to pass the Client ID into the Mortgage Client - how is the
>>client ID created, I can't see the way this works on paper or in my head
>>so I'm strugling with FM side as you can see. I'm sure it can be done
>>however!

see reply to Ovalking re the where it is

As for how the Client_ID is created, you need a Client_ID field in
Clients. Create a text field and set the options to auto enter serial
value C00001 with 1 increment. Make it's validations unique and not
empty. This way each time you create a new client (record in Clients),
the value will be created. As you already have clients, you will need to
use Replace command to enter the series. Go to a list or table view,
show all records, click in the ID field, and select Records/Replace
field contents. Type your starting value in the appropriate box (e.g
C00001) and replace. check the Update ... box . For future reference, be
careful when using Rep-lace, it can't be 'undone'. Create and practice
on a temporary field if you have to. With blank data it doesn't matter

As a rule of thumb, always use unique serial ID rather than names... for
data tables.  ID's avoid duplications (Jo Smith,  John Smith...) and
spelling/entry errors... smaller, faster... a host of reasons.

regards

Chris

0
Chris
1/14/2005 2:09:01 AM
Ok, I'm wondering if I have explained myself very clearly and if what I'm
trying to do is possible!

3 Files

Clients, Mortgages & Mortgage Client

Clients: - Name, address, phone numbers etc.....
Mortgages:- Lender, amount of loan, valuation, purchase price etc....
Mortgage Clients:- who is part to one of the mortgage above.

Fields used here.

Clients:- Client ID (Using serail value C000001 and set to auto increment)
Mortgages:-  Mort ID
Mort Clients:- Mort ID & Client ID

Relationships
Mortgages & Mortgage Client: Using Mort ID
Clients & Mort Clients: Using Client ID

Portals
Portal in Mortgages allowing data entry into Mortgage Clients
Portal in Clients allowing data to be shown in Mort Clients

Needs: I want to be able to enter data through the portal from Clients, into
Mortgages / Mortgage Clients.

PROBLEMS

1) From clients I am able to see very little data of use, the available
fields to select are only Mort ID & Client ID. (Client ID is a numeric
number eg C000001 and Mort ID is set to numeric eg 23
2) If I go direct to Mortgages,  the fields become locked and won't allow
data entry.

What I Did!

Creating the portals is not a problem.....I'm used to using portals.

I did set up some additional fields within Mort Clients to extract the data
required from Mortgages by way of a calculation. This worked fine except I
could not amend or insert any data because the fields I used were
calculations!

Any suggestions appreciated!

Ernie

0
Falcon
1/14/2005 12:54:08 PM
Judging by your record-locking problems between windows, I'm guessing
you must be in 7.  If you are in a record in one window (say, in a
portal row to mortgages), and then you go to another window (Mortgages
itself), then the Mortgage record will be locked.

To help with your problem #1.  Your portal is correct from Clients to
MortClients.  But to put useful data in the portal, the fields you want
to put in the portal should be from the Mortgages table.

Falcon wrote:
> Ok, I'm wondering if I have explained myself very clearly and if what I'm
> trying to do is possible!
>
> 3 Files
>
> Clients, Mortgages & Mortgage Client
>
> Clients: - Name, address, phone numbers etc.....
> Mortgages:- Lender, amount of loan, valuation, purchase price etc....
> Mortgage Clients:- who is part to one of the mortgage above.
>
> Fields used here.
>
> Clients:- Client ID (Using serail value C000001 and set to auto increment)
> Mortgages:-  Mort ID
> Mort Clients:- Mort ID & Client ID
>
> Relationships
> Mortgages & Mortgage Client: Using Mort ID
> Clients & Mort Clients: Using Client ID
>
> Portals
> Portal in Mortgages allowing data entry into Mortgage Clients
> Portal in Clients allowing data to be shown in Mort Clients
>
> Needs: I want to be able to enter data through the portal from Clients, into
> Mortgages / Mortgage Clients.
>
> PROBLEMS
>
> 1) From clients I am able to see very little data of use, the available
> fields to select are only Mort ID & Client ID. (Client ID is a numeric
> number eg C000001 and Mort ID is set to numeric eg 23
> 2) If I go direct to Mortgages,  the fields become locked and won't allow
> data entry.
>
> What I Did!
>
> Creating the portals is not a problem.....I'm used to using portals.
>
> I did set up some additional fields within Mort Clients to extract the data
> required from Mortgages by way of a calculation. This worked fine except I
> could not amend or insert any data because the fields I used were
> calculations!
>
> Any suggestions appreciated!
>
> Ernie

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California

FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
Howard
1/14/2005 6:01:38 PM
Howard, I'm using FM6

How can you get fields from Mortgages to show in the portal window. Unless a
relationship is developed it won't allow this!

Or am I wrong?

If a relationship is required, how do you do this because a mortgage might
relate to one or more clients?

Ernie

0
Falcon
1/14/2005 6:17:30 PM
I was assuming you were in FM7, where you can put fields from another
table down the relationship chain into a portal somewhere else in the
relationship chain.

For 6, you need to create a set of unstored calc fields in the
MortClients file to give you what you want to see in the portal.  So,
for example, create a Lender calc field in the MortClients file that has
a text result, is unstored and points to the Lender field in the
Mortgages file.

with this, you have a portal on your Clients layouts that points to
MortClients, and you can now put that Lender calc field (from
MortClients) in the portal.

Falcon wrote:
> Howard, I'm using FM6
>
> How can you get fields from Mortgages to show in the portal window. Unless a
> relationship is developed it won't allow this!
>
> Or am I wrong?
>
> If a relationship is required, how do you do this because a mortgage might
> relate to one or more clients?
>
> Ernie

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California

FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
Howard
1/14/2005 6:32:47 PM
I have done that Howard, but again am I right in thinking that becasue it's
a calc field, I can't enter data via the portal?

"Howard Schlossberg" <howard@antispahm.fmprosolutions.com> wrote in message
>I was assuming you were in FM7, where you can put fields from another table
>down the relationship chain into a portal somewhere else in the
>relationship chain.
>
> For 6, you need to create a set of unstored calc fields in the MortClients
> file to give you what you want to see in the portal.  So, for example,
> create a Lender calc field in the MortClients file that has a text result,
> is unstored and points to the Lender field in the Mortgages file.
>
> with this, you have a portal on your Clients layouts that points to
> MortClients, and you can now put that Lender calc field (from MortClients)
> in the portal.
>

> Falcon wrote:
>> Howard, I'm using FM6
>>
>> How can you get fields from Mortgages to show in the portal window.
>> Unless a relationship is developed it won't allow this!
>>
>> Or am I wrong?
>>
>> If a relationship is required, how do you do this because a mortgage
>> might relate to one or more clients?
>>
>> Ernie
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
> FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California
>
> FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
> Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance

0
Falcon
1/14/2005 7:59:16 PM
Ahhh -- correct you are.  Best you might do is to go to the related
MortClients record where you have a layout with the related Mortgage
fields and allwo the data entry from there.  Click a 'done' button to go
back to the Client record.

Falcon wrote:
> I have done that Howard, but again am I right in thinking that becasue it's
> a calc field, I can't enter data via the portal?
>

> "Howard Schlossberg" <howard@antispahm.fmprosolutions.com> wrote in message
>
>>I was assuming you were in FM7, where you can put fields from another table
>>down the relationship chain into a portal somewhere else in the
>>relationship chain.
>>
>>For 6, you need to create a set of unstored calc fields in the MortClients
>>file to give you what you want to see in the portal.  So, for example,
>>create a Lender calc field in the MortClients file that has a text result,
>>is unstored and points to the Lender field in the Mortgages file.
>>
>>with this, you have a portal on your Clients layouts that points to
>>MortClients, and you can now put that Lender calc field (from MortClients)
>>in the portal.
>>

>>Falcon wrote:
>>
>>>Howard, I'm using FM6
>>>
>>>How can you get fields from Mortgages to show in the portal window.
>>>Unless a relationship is developed it won't allow this!
>>>
>>>Or am I wrong?
>>>
>>>If a relationship is required, how do you do this because a mortgage
>>>might relate to one or more clients?
>>>
>>>Ernie
>>
>>--
>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
>>FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California
>>
>>FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
>>Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California

FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
Howard
1/14/2005 8:14:54 PM
Ok, I have the portal showing the correct info for each client!

I can't edit data in the portal directly, so I have created a button to
create new mortgages!

I am trying to create a button now that will take me back to the Mortgage so
I can edit / change the data!
I can use goto related record because their is no relationship between:

Clients & Mortgages = (each mortgage can belong to several people)

How do I create a script to identify the right mortgage and take me to that
page?

Thanks

Ernie

0
Falcon
1/15/2005 11:43:40 AM
In article <Ml7Gd.137829$48.17406@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk> Falcon,
sorry@ihatespam.com writes:
>How do I create a script to identify the right mortgage and take me to that
>page?

How about something like:
Copy Mortgage Id
Switch to Mortgages
Enter Find mode
Paste Mortgage Id
Perform Find

?
0
Ovalking
1/15/2005 2:20:52 PM
 From CLients to Mortgages, the quickest way would be:

Set Field [gMortgageID; MortClients::MortgageID]
GTRR [Mortgages_by_Single_MortgageID]

Falcon wrote:
> Ok, I have the portal showing the correct info for each client!
>
> I can't edit data in the portal directly, so I have created a button to
> create new mortgages!
>
> I am trying to create a button now that will take me back to the Mortgage so
> I can edit / change the data!
> I can use goto related record because their is no relationship between:
>
> Clients & Mortgages = (each mortgage can belong to several people)
>
> How do I create a script to identify the right mortgage and take me to that
> page?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ernie

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California

FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
Howard
1/15/2005 6:28:44 PM
Howard I don't recognise some of this?

gMortgageID - What is the g, it's not a field I have. Should I create a
Field gMortgageID?

GTRR ??? What does this do?

Mortgages_by_Single_MortgageID - Is this another field?

Set Field [gMortgageID; MortClients::MortgageID]
> GTRR [Mortgages_by_Single_MortgageID]

0
Falcon
1/15/2005 10:46:35 PM
Sorry for the shorthand--

> gMortgageID - What is the g, it's not a field I have. Should I create a
> Field gMortgageID?

The g indicates that it is a global field, something you'll need to
create if you don't already have a global field to use.

> GTRR ??? What does this do?

This is an abreviation for thr 'go to related records' script step.

> Mortgages_by_Single_MortgageID - Is this another field?

This is a new relationship from the gMortgageID field to the MortgageID
in the Mortgages file.

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California

FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
Howard
1/15/2005 11:04:43 PM
Thanks everyone, got there in the end!

Ernie

0
Falcon

EJB: How to delete child entries from a parent-child CMR one-to-many relationship?
In situation where a parent entity has a one-to-many CMP/CMR relationship to a child entity, is there a quick way to delete all child entity data instances without deleting the parent entity? I thought I read somewhere that you could use the parent entity field representing the child entity container method and call its 'clear' method but this doesn't seem to work. Also I've tried retrieving the child list collection and then using an iterator to find the child entity instnces and call the child entity remove method. But this seemed to cause problems for subsequent calls to t...

Internet enabled database design
I have a client that needs to capture 'loan application' data on a web form and then store that data in a SQL Server Express database. Similarly, it needs to also display information in a web form about loan applications previously submitted. Obviously, security of data is important. My current thinking is that the web form is located at an ISP but the database is located in the clients Intranet. With this solution, speed won't be great and security is a concern as the database is potentially visible over the web. Deploying the web-form on the company Intranet and web enabling it...

Help with Relationships
I am trying to design a query that works with a relationship between a Table and a Query. I am comparing a value in the table with a computed value inside the query. The reason for this is that the Query calculates a field to become identical to the corresponding table field, for instance: Table 1 contains field "ID", which is WV008A00 Table 2 contains field "ID In", which is WV001000 In the query I created, I am using a function that converts Table 1's ID to look identical to the records in Table 2. Namely, changing the '8' to a 1' and the 'A' ...

How do I truncate or extend the log space for a database?
I have the message: "1 task(s) are sleeping waiting for space to become available in the log segment for database xxxxDB..." I'm running sybase 15.0 under CentOS (RedHat), and the Sybase Central locks up when I'm trying to change a column in one of my tables... As far as I can see, my database have been allocated only 3Mb as a default size. How and where can I change/extend this? TIA... -- Dag. On Mar 13, 4:16 am, "Dag Sunde" <m...@dagsunde.com> wrote: > I have the message: "1 task(s) are sleeping waiting for space to become &g...

Looking for Java mapping programe(XML --> Relatinal database schema) #2
I am going to begin following project Description of the project: One of the proposed ways of storing XML is to "shred" the structure of the XML document and insert it into a relational DBMS. To do this, I will consider the query workload over the XML document. The purpose of this project is to identify a cost-based approach to XML decomposition taking into account a query workload. Different query workloads will lead to different decompositions of the same XML document. For starting, I am looking for Java sauce code( XML - > RDB schema). And then I will make a query speci...

How to monitor memory usage within Python? (Linux)
Is there some standard module for getting info about the process's memory usage, in a Linux/Unix system? (I want to avoid hacks that involve, e.g., scraping ps's output.) Thanks! ~K Am 24.02.10 23:35, schrieb kj: > Is there some standard module for getting info about the process's > memory usage, in a Linux/Unix system? > > (I want to avoid hacks that involve, e.g., scraping ps's output.) http://code.google.com/p/pympler/ Diez For Linux only <http://code.activestate.com/recipes/286222/> /Jean On Feb 24, 2:35=A0pm, kj <no.em...@please.post> ...

Creating relationships between pre-existing records
I'd like some feed back on the following paper. Situation: You wish to provide a way to relate two tables whose records both exist prior to establishing the relationship between those particular records. You wish to do it following good usability practices. I use auto incremented numbers as the primary keys in my database. The philosophy is these numbers have no meaning other then to be my keys and so have no reason to ever change. Another point is that humans are much better at dealing with names that mean something then with numbers. These two ideas came into conflict when I trie...

Oracel database consolidation criteria
Hello there! I am trying to put together a list with criteria which are considered important for consolidating Oracle Database Servers. If someone can write something here it will be very helpful. thanks you very much Demetris wrote: > Hello there! > I am trying to put together a list with criteria which are considered important > for consolidating Oracle Database Servers. > If someone can write something here it will be very helpful. > thanks you very much Short list: Licensing cost Impact on backup and recovery Hardware downtime Versioning of Oracle binaries Security Stabili...

old database migration to java
hellow, i have this old dos txt database full of names and i want to migrate it to java now i already figuered out how to open the file in java but i can't understand how to wrap / parse it in java any help is welcome (it's a tree database with correlations bytheway) so thkx and hear ya john doe wrote: > hellow, Your spelling is lousy. > i have this.. And your shift/caps key seems broken. > ..old dos txt database full of names > and i want to migrate it to java Sure, but does _it_ want to migrate? ;-) > now i already figuered out how to open the file in j...

New Databases
NewDatabases is proud to introduce a large collection of MS Access look-alikes without the MS Access (Microsoft Access database) headaches! Check it out: http://www.newdatabases.com FEATURES: + Works in all versions of Windows starting from 98. + Imports and exports plain text and .csv data files. + Prints entire database or selected records. + Searches, filters, and queries both fields and records. + Displays data in record view or table view. + Comparable to Microsoft's Access or FileMaker Pro. + Completely self-contained. No 3rd party software needed. + No archives! Simp...

Will a memory location be written to within a section of code?
I'm working on hardware transactional memory: have start-transaction and end-transaction instructions, and anything between those instructions is supposed to either happen atomically or not at all, as far as other transactions are concerned. A way of speeding up some forms of HTM is to use a special read-with-intent-to-write-later instruction for memory reads when I know (or suspect) that the same memory location will be written to later in the transaction. I want a compiler to use these special read-with-intent-to-write-later instructions when appropriate, automatically. For example, in t...

temporal relationship between 2 time series
Hello all, I am very naive in time-series but I was asked to determine temporal relationship between 2 time series. I know it is not right to use correlation coefficient because it does not account for the auto- correlation of observations within a time series. Is there something like correlation coefficient for time series? Or any regression type of methods for time series? Your help is greatly appreciated! KC ...

design pattern/ class relationship
I am wondering what is a good design pattern in terms of C++ class relationship for the problem I am trying to solve. template<class DbKey, class DbVal, class DbTag> class srvBerkDB : public Db //class for reading and writing to Berkeley DB { VecB KeyPosn; DbTag tag; //Only a snippet of the class is shown here. public: srvBerkDB (std::string& oDBFil, std::string& oDBTabl, ...) { parse (std::string& oDBFil, ????srvBerkDB&) //friend class or function ????? } //DB access functions like put() , ...

Multiple Access databases headache? Here is free aspirin for you :-) #2
http://www.buyfineartonline.com/AccessFinder/ <a href=http://www.buyfineartonline.com/AccessFinder/>http://www.buyfineartonline.com/AccessFinder/</a> No nonsense features. Simple, practical, saves time and money. Regards, Leo. ...

Trouble connecting to and within Mathworks
I have been having trouble connecting to and within Mathworks. The connection freezes with the error message "Mathworks is not responding because of a long running script" Then a window pops up with the on/off option to stop the script. If I stop the script I can work on one page. Whenever I try to change pages I get another freeze and corresponding error message. Any suggestions? "Greg Heath" <heath@alumni.brown.edu> wrote in message news:ld12ub$mnm$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > I have been having trouble connecting to and within Mathwor...

create database schema
I'd like to create a database schema of an existing mysql db - I have access to phpMyAdmin . Is there way via sql statement to derive the (data types, foreign keys, ) of existing tables? -- Jack Vamvas ___________________________________ Search IT jobs from multiple sources- http://www.ITjobfeed.com Jack Vamvas wrote: > I'd like to create a database schema of an existing mysql db - I have > access to phpMyAdmin . > > Is there way via sql statement to derive the (data types, foreign > keys, ) of existing tables? Just EXPORT the table's structures ...

calculating md5sum strings from within Awk
Hi, Is it possible to call out to a function to calculate the md5sum of a named string in gawk ? {HashedPassword=md5sum($2)} The background is I have a delimeted file with a column with sensitive data, and a request came in to encrypt it using a md5sum.... thanks Andrew minkymorgan wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to call out to a function to calculate the md5sum of a > named string in gawk ? > > {HashedPassword=md5sum($2)} > > The background is I have a delimeted file with a column with sensitive > data, and a request came in to encrypt it using a md5sum......

List of users connected to DB2 UDB database
Hi everybody, How to get the list of all users/clients who are connected to my DB2 UDB database v 8.2 server in RHEL? Please help me out... "satish mullapudi" <satishmullapudi84@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1154191928.282506.307780@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi everybody, > How to get the list of all users/clients who are connected to my DB2 > UDB database v 8.2 server in RHEL? > Please help me out... > db2 list applications show detail This will show the logon id. Included in one of the strings is IP address of the remote clients...

Tables and Relationships
A marketing company conducts auctions. For each auction sale, there is a table (AUCTIONS)listing the auction sale number, date, location, etc. Another table (SELLERS)contains our client list (seller name, contact, phone number, etc). Information is directly input into the AUCTIONS and SELLERS tables. A third table (CONTRACTS) should contain contract information (sale number from the AUCTIONS table, seller name from the SELLERS table, contract date, etc. The sale number and seller name are selected from combo boxes. A fourth table (LOTS) contains information for each lot like sale number, se...

Updating an OLE object in the database
I have populated an Access database with data from my labview program.&nbsp; It's fairly easy to do this using the INSERT VI, but now I need to be able to update values in the database.&nbsp; While I figured out how to do this using the UPDATE query for common data types, I cannot figure out how to do this for binary/OLE data types.&nbsp; For example, if I have a cluster of arrays, or an array of clusters, how would I update these in the database?&nbsp; Thanks! Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not quite what I am looking for.&nbsp; I need a way of storing the...

Can I *{num}{cols} within main body of an array environment?
Hi, \begin{array}[pos]{|*{5}{|c|}} & & & & & \\ \end{array} allows me to specify |c| columns 5 times. My questions is can I repeat the data to go into the columns in the same way? Thus \begin{array}[pos]{|*{5}{|c|}} something1 & *{4}{& something2} \\ \end{array} David R David R wrote: > Hi, > \begin{array}[pos]{|*{5}{|c|}} > & & & & & \\ > \end{array} > > allows me to specify |c| columns 5 times. > My questions is can I repeat the data to go into the columns in the same > way? Thus > \begin{array}[pos]{|*{5}{|c|...

How to toggle boolean with joystick button within while loop?
I'm initializing a joystick and then going into a loop where I acquire joystick information.&nbsp; I want to be able to toggle a boolean indicator only when the button is pressed.&nbsp; (Click - goes ON, release - stays ON, click - goes OFF, release - stays off and so on) Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks attafire wrote: > I'm initializing a joystick and then going into a loop where I acquire > joystick information.&nbsp; I want to be able to toggle a boolean > indicator only when the button is pressed.&nbsp; (Click - goes ON, > release - stays ON, cli...

Advice for Managing Parent Child Relationships in MDI App?
Hi Folks: Developing on XP Media, VC6, WIN32, no MFC. I'm doing my first MDI app. Things are going OK, but I've run into a little problem, and I'm hoping someone can offer some advice. Is there some Windows supported mechanism to enforce a parent child relationship between two windows in an MDI frame? I don't see anything in the MDICREATESTRUCT that looks promising. The user selects one of the menu items, and the MDI child pops up. Let's call this Window A. A button in Window A is hit and this causes another MDI child to open. Let...

Keeping GUI in sync with database...
I have a screen with a grid control which displays some data. This screen usually remains up on a users screen and the application runs on many terminals. I want the data in the screen to remain in sync with the data in the database without the user having to hit a refresh button since the data can always be changing by users on other terminals. What I'm currently doing is I have a table in my database which basically just stores screen names with a timestamp and everytime a record is written to the database to any table that is used by this screen it updates the timestamp. Then...

Distribution fitting within a range
Hello, I have a data set which I claim to have Zipf distribution (Power Law). I fitted Zipf distribution using maximum likelihood estimation, and it fits very well to the histogram of the data with a high enough p-value that proves the data may follow Zipf distribution. Note that my data has the range [1,31] as discrete values and and the domain is the frequencies corresponding to this range. Again, the distribution is fitted for discrete data, and probability density function p(x) sums up to 1 over all [1,31]. Now, I have other candidate distributions: -- Geometric distribution -- Log-norma...