Runtime 5.5 "application error" upon launch

THE PROBLEM
The error message says "memory at location [address] cannot be read."
The runtime engine then quits.

THE ANTECEDENTS
This error message appeared right after I copied a runtime solution
folder from a network volume to the C: drive.  Now, whether I try
opening the runtime on the network volume or the C: drive I get the
same error message.

ATTEMPTED REMEDIES
If I run the solution with the full version of FileMaker 5.5,
everything is fine.  This is not a viable long-term solution, but it
does confirm that there is nothing wrong with the solution data files.

I tried deleting the copy from the C: drive, but the error persists:
the runtime engine reports a memory error every time.

I tried reinstalling from scratch.  Same error.

BEGGING BEGINS
All other apps launch just fine.  Could this be a registry problem?

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

0
domanova (47)