Runtime won't print on laser printer

Hello,
We have a runtime solution that several users are having success with. This
morning, a user called to say that their printer was printing blank pages.
We ran through the usual culprits...
Records being Browsed checked
Printer name is correct
Pages to print is correct
Ink Color in properties is correct
Still, the very important reports come out blank in their laser printer. Our
solution appears to send the job to the printer, it fires up and puts out
blank pages. Some other reports print but not the critical ones. We have
tested, from the same file set and can print okay here at the office.
Haven't run up against this yet in 4 years.
Thanks for any tips,
Bill

0
Bill

Bill Jaynes <bjaynes@montanaport.net> wrote:

> Hello,
> We have a runtime solution that several users are having success with. This
> morning, a user called to say that their printer was printing blank pages.
> We ran through the usual culprits...
> Records being Browsed checked
> Printer name is correct
> Pages to print is correct
> Ink Color in properties is correct
> Still, the very important reports come out blank in their laser printer. Our
> solution appears to send the job to the printer, it fires up and puts out
> blank pages. Some other reports print but not the critical ones. We have
> tested, from the same file set and can print okay here at the office.
> Haven't run up against this yet in 4 years.

Bill, you don't say what version of FM you're using, but I've
encountered something similarly frustrating with FM 5.5 & 6.  In one
case, the client was not able to print to a Dymo printer from FM 6 on
Mac OSX. The layout would print to all his other printers, but not the
Dymo. (and generally the Dymo drivers have been trouble free in every
other place I've used them)

In the second case, one client site was not able to print the FIRST page
of a 3 page report on a new printer, I think it was Epson or something
similar. Pages 2 and 3 were fine. :/ All other 5 client sites printed
this same layout with no problem, we printed it fine at our office.
Other layouts from the same file printed first pages just fine. When we
created a new layout, and copied and pasted the troublesome layout
objects onto it, suddenly that new layout started failing as well.

We concluded there was some subtle corruption in one or more layout
objects on the first page, but since they still had access to the old
printer, and the layout was an extremely complex re-creation of a state
form, we decided not to rebuild from scratch. It wasn't cost-effective
to rebuild and then have to re-deploy to 6 sites.

The final solution was to just return to their former printer. The new
printer was a desktop inkjet and the old one a laser printer which was
all of 5 feet across the office.

So I'd say you've got a corrupt layout object that their particular
printer driver doesn't like. Rebuild the layout FROM SCRATCH, do not
copy/paste anything from the old layout. That should do it.

Lynn Allen
--
Allen & Allen Semiotics        www.semiotics.com
FSA Associate       Filemaker Design & Consulting
0
lynn
11/18/2004 7:05:59 PM
Hi Lynn,
    Thanks for your response. I'll try having them print to another printer
and
see if that helps. In the meantime, as I try to adjust the list layout, I've
noticed
another anomaly. In preview mode, I list items to #29 on the  first page
and #30 on the second. When I print these two pages, page one comes to #27,
leaving out numbers 28 & 29. Page two prints with line 30. It appears that
when
printing, I lose lines 28 & 29. Am using Filemaker 5. The bottom margin is
set to
20px, maybe that's an issue.
Thanks for any tips here.
Bill