Send mail script step - Sending mail to multiple addresses

I have a file CLASSES with the classes of a school and a file STUDENTS with
the students of the shool.
The two files are related with the Class_ID field.

I have a layout with the data from one record of the CLASS file and a portal
showing all the students in that class.

I want to use a script to sent e-mails to all the students in that class
(assuming that there is a e-mail address field in students file). If I use
the "Use all Recordn in found set" flag the mail is sent to all the studends
of the school and not only to the students of that class. If I use "Use the
current record" flag the mail is sent only to the first student in the
portal.

Any HELP ?

0
Hatzigiannakis

On 2004-11-01 04:20:13 -0800, "Hatzigiannakis Nikos" <nikos@ypai.gr> said:

<snipped>

> I want to use a script to sent e-mails to all the students in that class
> (assuming that there is a e-mail address field in students file). If I use
> the "Use all Recordn in found set" flag the mail is sent to all the studends
> of the school and not only to the students of that class. If I use "Use the
> current record" flag the mail is sent only to the first student in the
> portal.

Are you familiar with what a found set is?  A found set is a subset of
all the records that match a certain criteria.  These are found using
the find command or using the goto related records - show only related
records script step.  Once you have create a found set you can select
"Use all records in found set"

You can create a found set by going to related records (show only
related rcords) from your classes layout and then put a find script
step utilizing the "=" symbol and OMIT function in the email address
field.

The "=" symbol by itself in a field finds all the records in which that
field is empty.  Using the Omit function will remove those records from
your "found set'.  Should also mention that when you use the find
script step in your situation - that is, after going to the related
records - you'll want to "constrain found set".  That means your Go to
related records will create a found set and then within that found set
you want to eliminate the records that have an empty email address
field.

loulou

0
Lou