Server set-up

Ive been using a standalone version 5.0 of FilemakerPro for years.  I am at
a new job now and my manager bought FMPro7 10 user pack and Server7. I
thought I could set it up on our server and the 8 computers that we use, but
something is not right.

I guess I really don't know what to do with Server 7.  I installed it and
ran it on our server and my computer, but not any other of the office
computers.

I installed FMP7 on the server, mine and the 8 other computers.  I wanted to
set it up so that the file that we will be using was on the server only.
For some reason, the other computers can't see the file on the server, but
if I have the file from  the server open, or a file on my computer open,
they can find it by using  "open remote"

There were really no instructions on the proper way to set up a networked
system, and it is next to impossible to get a live person on the phone at
Filemaker.  My manager overspent $3,400 for these and Developer 7 and
something else.

Any assistance in the correct way to install FMP 7 and Server 7 to work on a
network will be greatly appreciated.

Baffled in Erie, PA

0
Kenny
12/25/2004 11:00:22 PM
comp.databases.filemaker 11090 articles. 0 followers. amosw01 (46) is leader. Post Follow

Kenny in PA <ks4078@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ive been using a standalone version 5.0 of FilemakerPro for years.  I am at
> a new job now and my manager bought FMPro7 10 user pack and Server7. I
> thought I could set it up on our server and the 8 computers that we use, but
> something is not right.
>
> I guess I really don't know what to do with Server 7.  I installed it and
> ran it on our server and my computer, but not any other of the office
> computers.

Server belongs ONLY on the server computer. FMPro belongs on each of the
guest computers, but NOT the server (unless you use it to make changes
on the files while the service is stopped on the server computer.)  Do
not run FMPro and FM Server at the same time on a single machine. This
can be done for development purposes by experienced developers, but not
for deployment in a production environment.

The files (.fp7) should be inside the "Data" folder inside the FM Server
installed application folder.

FM Server runs as a service, so the only way to access it is through the
FM Server Administration app, on OS X. I haven't ever done it on Win
2003 Server, so look in the documentation.  Since you don't specify
platform, I'm guessing you use The Only Platform In the World, Windows.

> I installed FMP7 on the server, mine and the 8 other computers.  I wanted to
> set it up so that the file that we will be using was on the server only.
> For some reason, the other computers can't see the file on the server, but
> if I have the file from  the server open, or a file on my computer open,
> they can find it by using  "open remote"

Here, Filemaker has saved you from yourself. This is exactly the right
configuration. You should NOT have file sharing turned on for the server
computer, and so you should NOT be able to "see" the files on the
computer.  However, as you discover, the Open Remote will reveal the
files using the correct access method.

One should be VERY cautious about having identically named files on
local machines AND the server at the same time. FM will confuse them,
data will be entered in the wrong file, and 'go missing.'  Disconnect
your local machine from the network for development, or change your
local copy of FM to "none" under network protocol for development. Then
zip or rename the local files while connected to the network, so other
users don't "find" your files instead of the served ones.

> There were really no instructions on the proper way to set up a networked
> system, and it is next to impossible to get a live person on the phone at
> Filemaker.  My manager overspent $3,400 for these and Developer 7 and
> something else.

No instructions? You mean the documentation on the FMI website was
insufficient?

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/index.html, scroll down and you'll
see a Documentation and Publications section that will lead you to
hundreds and thousands of pages of white papers, technical briefs and
tech info knowledge base articles. I'd look particularly under the tech
briefs for the article called "How to take advantage of new Server model
and capabilities"

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/TechBrief_sever7_0704.pdf

I will also point out that it is the Xmas holiday here. FMI pretty much
closes down and many people are gone until after New Years.

If your manager spent $3,400, I suspect he or she also obtained a copy
of FM Server Advanced, which is the web publishing portion of FM. You
are set up to do very sophistocated things with your data, without any
additional software.  I wouldn't be characterizing it as "overspending"
unless your needs are extremely modest.  Maybe it is, but perhaps your
manager has more ambitious ideas in mind. FM is a product that can grow
with your organization quite extensively.

> Any assistance in the correct way to install FMP 7 and Server 7 to work on a
> network will be greatly appreciated.

I suspect you would benefit greatly from finding and employing a
professional in Filemaker development and deployment for a few days
consulting. On the FMI website, under developers, you can search in your
local area for FSA developers who can help you get the most out of your
investment in the software.

Most often, ANY software purchase that fails to provide satisfaction
does so because of improper system design, deployment, or inadequate
hardware/networking provisions.  It pays in the end to consult with
someone who has a proven history of bringing successful data management
software into organizations like yours.  Find someone like that locally,
rather than trying to learn years of "gotchas" (which are mostly not in
any organized documentation) in a few weeks.   Your stress level will
thank you.

Lynn Allen
--
Allen & Allen Semiotics        www.semiotics.com
FSA Associate       Filemaker Design & Consulting

0
lynn
12/25/2004 11:33:42 PM
Outstanding summary, Lynn, of what to do and should be done to handle an FMP
server configuration.
Thanks for us all.
Remi-Noel Menegaux

"Lynn allen" <lynn@NOT-semiotics.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
1gpcvji.xwqk0se803osN%lynn@NOT-semiotics.com...
> [...]
> local area for FSA developers who can help you get the most out of your
> investment in the software.
>
> Most often, ANY software purchase that fails to provide satisfaction
> does so because of improper system design, deployment, or inadequate
> hardware/networking provisions.  It pays in the end to consult with
> someone who has a proven history of bringing successful data management
> software into organizations like yours.  Find someone like that locally,
> rather than trying to learn years of "gotchas" (which are mostly not in
> any organized documentation) in a few weeks.   Your stress level will
> thank you.
>
> Lynn Allen
> --
> Allen & Allen Semiotics        www.semiotics.com
> FSA Associate       Filemaker Design & Consulting

RN
12/26/2004 5:48:58 AM
That is exactly how you do it. You must have the files running in
server, then open them "remote"-ly.
- jp

0
jeanpaul

US-NJ: Chester-SQL Server Developer
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: SQL Server Developer Job Location: NJ: Chester Pay Rate: 68K Job Length: full time Start Date: 2009-02-08 Company Name: Shain Associates Contact: John Santiago Phone: 732-248-8222 Fax: 732-248-1082 De...

Panther Server
Is it possible to: 1. Get RB to get a list of users from our OS 10.3 Server (uses LDAP) 2. Get RB to authenticate users with that Server Hope this makes sense Shaun Miller <kainoa@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to: > 1. Get RB to get a list of users from our OS 10.3 Server (uses LDAP) > 2. Get RB to authenticate users with that Server > > Hope this makes sense Sure, but you may need to learn the LDAP protocoll and write your own code to handle it. Mfg Christian -- Seven thousand functions in one REALbasic plug-in. The MBS Plugin. <...

US-TX-San Antonio: Programmer Analyst, MS SQL Server/ Development, OS, C#; (45360332406)
US-TX-San Antonio: Programmer Analyst, MS SQL Server/ Development, OS, C#; (45360332406) ======================================================================================== Position: Programmer Analyst Reference: ZYD00199 Location: San Antonio TX Duration: Skills: Software development in the client/server technologies. Experience in MS SQL Server. Strong SQL development, administration, and data modeling. Client/Server Architecture in Microsoft OS environments. SDLC and/or other software development met...

netfinity 3500 dipswitch setting
hello- I have a netfinity 3500 that has 2x333mhz processors in them. I would like to put some p3-500's or 550's that i have sitting around in there, unfortunately, i cannot find any documentation as to the speed settings in the dip switches that I need to make. Does anyone know/have this configuration and can look for me? Thanks! -victor Check out the HMM (page 99), the original to Netfinity 3500 only support 233-333 Mhz with 66Mhz external clock. http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=DDSE-3SVR52 Best Regards Johnny "vic&...

How to find SQL Servers & Databases in Each server using BATCH File?
Hi, I need help from you... I want to find SQL Servers which are available in Network and Databases in Each Server Using Batch file. If i run this Batch file it should find SQL Servers & Databases in each server and out put should send to txt file... Is it possible to do this using Batch file??? if possible hw can i??? Plz send me details hw to do... Thanx in Advance, Regards, Raghu Tumma... Mail to: raghutumma@gmail.com ...

Cisco DHCP server and Microsoft DNS server
Hi guys, I need to integrate a Cisco DHCP server on a 4506 Catalyst with Windows 2003 DNS server, Is it possible for the DNS entry to be updated? And whether it is recommended or not? Regards, Andy DHCP and DNS are completely independent of each other. If you give out the DNS server address of the Microsoft DNS server as a DHCP option, then that's the address the PC will send its DNS dynamic update. "Andy" <dandashi@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1189497733.947734.241050@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com... > Hi guys, > > I need to integrate a Cisco DHCP s...

ipmitool: proper shutdown of server ?
Yesterday, I experienced first power outage since my laptop was moved to Yosemite, meaning it loses the ability to run Server Monitor app to control my Xserve. In the past, when there is a power failure that is scneduled to last longer than my UPS autonomy with everything running (about 30 minutes), I shutdown the server, and let the router/switch/ATA/modem run for hours on the UPS. This lets me use my phone to dial the utility for status reports, laptop and phone over wi-fi to access internet (but change DNS to point to outside one when my server is down) So yesterday, I used the...

US-TX-Austin: Sr. Lead Consultant, Client/Server Visual Basic, ASP, SQL Server; (45326632400)
US-TX-Austin: Sr. Lead Consultant, Client/Server Visual Basic, ASP, SQL Server; (45326632400) ============================================================================================= Position: Sr. Lead Consultant Reference: SMC01419 Location: Austin TX Duration: C-P Skills: Demonstrated leadership exp and the ability to assume a leadership role in a team with minimal supervision. Excellent client relationship skills including negotiation and expectation management. 5+yrs Client/Server and/or Interne...

pgsql-server/src/port copydir.c
CVSROOT: /cvsroot Module name: pgsql-server Changes by: tgl@svr1.postgresql.org 03/09/10 17:12:01 Modified files: src/port : copydir.c Log message: copydir() is supposed to return on failure, not elog(ERROR). Reduce ERROR to WARNING so we keep control. ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not match ...

Problem installing v8 on windows server 2003
Help!!! I am trying to install pervasive v8 on a windows server 2003. While installing, i get the error message, that there is a conflicht with "svchost.exe"??? What can i do, what does that mean? thanks! yours, alex schueller Stop the IIS Admin service. "Alexander Schueller" <schuellexxx@uni-koblenz.de> wrote in message news:ca3s6k$rtm$1@online.de... > Help!!! > I am trying to install pervasive v8 on a windows server 2003. While installing, i get the error message, that there is a conflicht > with "svchost.exe"??? > > What can i do, wh...

RE: Announcing Availability of HP OpenVMS Migration Software for Alpha to Integrity Servers to Integrity Servers to Integrity Servers #3
> -----Original Message----- > From: DeanW [mailto:dean.woodward@gmail.com]=20 > Sent: March 25, 2005 12:13 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Announcing Availability of HP OpenVMS Migration=20 > Software for Alpha to Integrity Servers to Integrity Servers=20 > to Integrity Servers >=20 > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 06:38:14 -0500, Main, Kerry=20 > <kerry.main@hp.com> wrote: > > Well, perhaps I am getting to crusty in my passing years, but what I > > tend to do now in places like this is that I would make=20 > statements like > > &qu...

Creating a long-running RMI server
I want to create a long-running RMI server, which makes an object available to remote hosts, and does nothing else. However, the server consistently exists with no exception or error after >=60 seconds. Without waiting on a dummy object or going into a sleep loop, how can I prevent my server from exiting? Here's my code: RemoteInterface.java: public interface RemoteInterface extends java.rmi.Remote { public String doRequest() throws java.rmi.RemoteException; } RMIServer.java import java.rmi.*; import java.rmi.server.*; public class RMIS...

how to set level1 text when using win32:ole
I am trying to write microsoft word document in perl. I don't know how to set the level of the text, such as level1,level2 and so on. Could you please tell me? thanks a lot. ...

Sun Microsystems Open-Sourcs Content Delivery Server
Sun Releases Content Delivery Server to Open Source Community ,----[ Quote ] | Sun's intention in open sourcing the technology is to expand how | Content Delivery Server is used and to make Open Content Delivery | Server a compelling offering for organizations like Universities, | news organisations with streaming content, online communities (both | large and small), major content providers, and other companies and | groups that want to deliver content. `---- http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/ ...

Problem setting up a bounty on wxwidgets page
Hello, Maybe I misunderstood something on the bounty page, but I just couldn't figure out how I could put up a bounty on the wxwidgets.org page. I thought it might (and please let me know if it's not) put it on the list. I really don't want suggestions on how to get my problem fixed. I just want the fix so that I can learn from it :) and move on. I have everything else in place that I need for my program, and this is the last bit that I think I will need. Anyway, I'll offer $30 for what I think will take any experienced wxwidgets person about 15 minutes or less to ...

US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45331157603)
US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45331157603) ======================================================================================== Position: Test Technician Reference: SMC01670 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: Skills: Linux or Netware experience Server, storage and netwrok technologies exp. Exp with installation and configuration of server OS's. RAID Basic understanding of server hardware. OS expertise. Strong troubleshooting/problem solving...

Terian Servers
I'm looking to buy a new server and Terian Solutions (http://www.terian.com/) is not too far from me in Houston. Can anybody give me a recommendation on them, that is do they build a quality product and provide good customer service? Thanks for any information. ...

Terminal server concentrator
Hi all, i've a Nortel Network Micro Annex xl for sale. Is classic annex for connect sun server via serial port. 8 serial ports 1 ethernet port 1 AUI 1 Power Supply cable included If anyone is interested can contact me at my email address. Bye ...

Server 7 on Win 2000 Pro
I have FM server 5.5 running on a Windows 2000 Professional machine. The system requirements for Server 7 indicate that Windows 2000 Server or 2003 Server is required. Is this really necessary for 10 users or less? Is anyone running successfully on Windows 2000 Professional? I don't want to buy a Windows Server just to run Filemaker. I could wait for the Linux version of Server 7 if I have to. Mark <imark@RE.MOVE.tippingmar.com> wrote: > I have FM server 5.5 running on a Windows 2000 Professional machine. The > system requirements for Server 7 indicate that Windows 20...

Chat Server/Server
I am wanting to setup a chat server on my sys for some friends. Could someone tell me how or direct me as to where to find out? Also use as ftp server.. Any help is appreciated. On 11 Jan 2004 08:04:46 -0800, bpanthertotem@bellsouth.net (Lee) wrote: >I am wanting to setup a chat server on my sys for some friends. Could >someone tell me how or direct me as to where to find out? Also use as >ftp server.. Any help is appreciated. Google is your friend, but I'll give you a hint - you may be looking for jabberd or ircd. From your question, it's hard to tell exactly...

Reference Manager to SQL Server
Hello, Has anyone used Reference Manager 11? I would like something like it, but on an SQL Server? Has anyone done this? I need the Reference Manager Schema and the know how as to how they do their web publishing. RefMan's output is great! But we need scalability - thus the SQL Server. Any help? Thanks, Tmuld. ...

[News] Ubuntu Already Competes with Big GNU/Linux Server Players

filemaker server on windows 2003 server
Hello, I just upgraded my server from a NT4 server to a windows 2003 server with new hardware (currently running 2 times Xeon 2.8, 2 GB RAM, 4 X 10K rpm 74GB in raid 5 configuration). Everything works fine (no speed problems, using 1Gbit switch) only filemaker is extremely slow. I configured filemaker server 5.5 to use 40MB (maximum). If the clients want to open a lot of files simutaniously (I'm using a lot of portals) or want to print huge lists, filemaker is extremely slowly. I checked the cpu usage and network usage, but it peaks at 0.7 %, so I don't think the cpu is the pro...

BIONIC : SETI 4.07 failing to show user name and credits, as well as accept new view mode settings? Endemic problem?
BIONIC : SETI 4.07 failing to show user name and credits, as well as accept new view mode settings? Endemic problem? DNS? ...

What is the deal with the server
Is it just me or were there problems today. ...