Server set-up

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Ive been using a standalone version 5.0 of FilemakerPro for years.  I am at
a new job now and my manager bought FMPro7 10 user pack and Server7. I
thought I could set it up on our server and the 8 computers that we use, but
something is not right.

I guess I really don't know what to do with Server 7.  I installed it and
ran it on our server and my computer, but not any other of the office
computers.

I installed FMP7 on the server, mine and the 8 other computers.  I wanted to
set it up so that the file that we will be using was on the server only.
For some reason, the other computers can't see the file on the server, but
if I have the file from  the server open, or a file on my computer open,
they can find it by using  "open remote"

There were really no instructions on the proper way to set up a networked
system, and it is next to impossible to get a live person on the phone at
Filemaker.  My manager overspent $3,400 for these and Developer 7 and
something else.

Any assistance in the correct way to install FMP 7 and Server 7 to work on a
network will be greatly appreciated.

Baffled in Erie, PA

0
Reply Kenny 12/25/2004 11:00:22 PM

See related articles to this posting

Kenny in PA <ks4078@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ive been using a standalone version 5.0 of FilemakerPro for years.  I am at
> a new job now and my manager bought FMPro7 10 user pack and Server7. I
> thought I could set it up on our server and the 8 computers that we use, but
> something is not right.
>
> I guess I really don't know what to do with Server 7.  I installed it and
> ran it on our server and my computer, but not any other of the office
> computers.

Server belongs ONLY on the server computer. FMPro belongs on each of the
guest computers, but NOT the server (unless you use it to make changes
on the files while the service is stopped on the server computer.)  Do
not run FMPro and FM Server at the same time on a single machine. This
can be done for development purposes by experienced developers, but not
for deployment in a production environment.

The files (.fp7) should be inside the "Data" folder inside the FM Server
installed application folder.

FM Server runs as a service, so the only way to access it is through the
FM Server Administration app, on OS X. I haven't ever done it on Win
2003 Server, so look in the documentation.  Since you don't specify
platform, I'm guessing you use The Only Platform In the World, Windows.

> I installed FMP7 on the server, mine and the 8 other computers.  I wanted to
> set it up so that the file that we will be using was on the server only.
> For some reason, the other computers can't see the file on the server, but
> if I have the file from  the server open, or a file on my computer open,
> they can find it by using  "open remote"

Here, Filemaker has saved you from yourself. This is exactly the right
configuration. You should NOT have file sharing turned on for the server
computer, and so you should NOT be able to "see" the files on the
computer.  However, as you discover, the Open Remote will reveal the
files using the correct access method.

One should be VERY cautious about having identically named files on
local machines AND the server at the same time. FM will confuse them,
data will be entered in the wrong file, and 'go missing.'  Disconnect
your local machine from the network for development, or change your
local copy of FM to "none" under network protocol for development. Then
zip or rename the local files while connected to the network, so other
users don't "find" your files instead of the served ones.

> There were really no instructions on the proper way to set up a networked
> system, and it is next to impossible to get a live person on the phone at
> Filemaker.  My manager overspent $3,400 for these and Developer 7 and
> something else.

No instructions? You mean the documentation on the FMI website was
insufficient?

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/index.html, scroll down and you'll
see a Documentation and Publications section that will lead you to
hundreds and thousands of pages of white papers, technical briefs and
tech info knowledge base articles. I'd look particularly under the tech
briefs for the article called "How to take advantage of new Server model
and capabilities"

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/TechBrief_sever7_0704.pdf

I will also point out that it is the Xmas holiday here. FMI pretty much
closes down and many people are gone until after New Years.

If your manager spent $3,400, I suspect he or she also obtained a copy
of FM Server Advanced, which is the web publishing portion of FM. You
are set up to do very sophistocated things with your data, without any
additional software.  I wouldn't be characterizing it as "overspending"
unless your needs are extremely modest.  Maybe it is, but perhaps your
manager has more ambitious ideas in mind. FM is a product that can grow
with your organization quite extensively.

> Any assistance in the correct way to install FMP 7 and Server 7 to work on a
> network will be greatly appreciated.

I suspect you would benefit greatly from finding and employing a
professional in Filemaker development and deployment for a few days
consulting. On the FMI website, under developers, you can search in your
local area for FSA developers who can help you get the most out of your
investment in the software.

Most often, ANY software purchase that fails to provide satisfaction
does so because of improper system design, deployment, or inadequate
hardware/networking provisions.  It pays in the end to consult with
someone who has a proven history of bringing successful data management
software into organizations like yours.  Find someone like that locally,
rather than trying to learn years of "gotchas" (which are mostly not in
any organized documentation) in a few weeks.   Your stress level will
thank you.

Lynn Allen
--
Allen & Allen Semiotics        www.semiotics.com
FSA Associate       Filemaker Design & Consulting

0
Reply lynn 12/25/2004 11:33:42 PM

Outstanding summary, Lynn, of what to do and should be done to handle an FMP
server configuration.
Thanks for us all.
Remi-Noel Menegaux

"Lynn allen" <lynn@NOT-semiotics.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
1gpcvji.xwqk0se803osN%lynn@NOT-semiotics.com...
> [...]
> local area for FSA developers who can help you get the most out of your
> investment in the software.
>
> Most often, ANY software purchase that fails to provide satisfaction
> does so because of improper system design, deployment, or inadequate
> hardware/networking provisions.  It pays in the end to consult with
> someone who has a proven history of bringing successful data management
> software into organizations like yours.  Find someone like that locally,
> rather than trying to learn years of "gotchas" (which are mostly not in
> any organized documentation) in a few weeks.   Your stress level will
> thank you.
>
> Lynn Allen
> --
> Allen & Allen Semiotics        www.semiotics.com
> FSA Associate       Filemaker Design & Consulting

Reply RN 12/26/2004 5:48:58 AM

That is exactly how you do it. You must have the files running in
server, then open them "remote"-ly.
- jp

0
Reply jeanpaul 12/28/2004 9:21:15 AM
comp.databases.filemaker 10822 articles. 16 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

How to set up an NIS server as a NIS client to another server?
Hi, I have a group of solaris 9 machines. sun1 is the NIS master server on the mydomain.com domain. sun2 through sun4 are the NIS clients of sun1. sun1-4 are on subnet1. I have another solaris box - sun5. I configured sun5 as a seperate NIS master server, but I gave it the same domain (mydomain.com). sun6-8 are the clients of sun5. sun5-8 are on subnet2. So far everything works fine. Now I need to configure sun5-8 as the NIS client of sun1. I did "ypinit -c" on sun5, and added sun1 there. But it does not see any users on sun1. I then tried to setup sun5 as a slave server to sun1, I...

SET AUDIT/DESTINATION ... SET AUDIT/SERVER=NEW_LOG
SET AUDIT /DESTINATION /DESTINATION=filespec When changing the destination of event messages, specifies the new location of the system security audit log file. The device, if part of the file specification, must be a disk. The /DESTINATION qualifier requires the /JOURNAL qualifier in this case. Once you have relocated the log file, execute the command SET AUDIT/SERVER=NEW_LOG to let all the nodes in the cluster know of the new location. The previous audit log file is closed and all subsequent audit event messag...

setting up FTP server in Mac OS X (not Server)
I've got an old Mac here, a Yikes! G4, that has OS X on it and I'd like to use it as a home server. Ive managed to get everything set up appropriately except FTP access - specifically, I want to enable it so that a friend can ftp in and work within one (and only one) directory. I don't want "anonymous access - I want a restricted user. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a decent tutorial for doing this, much to my own surprise. I realize that I could use a thrs-party package like CrushFTP but I'd prefer to use OSX's built-in service, ifpossible. My main hu...

SQL Server memory settings in SQL Server 7.0
Hi, i set my memory settings in the sql Server properties 2 "use fixed memory size (MB)" to 704MB nevertheless i find the following eventlog error upon starting my sql Server: 17122 : initdata: Warning: Could not set working set size to 1168704 KB. which i dont understand as my understanding was that i assinged 704 MB of memory 2 sql Server. Am not 2 familiar with SQL Server so i apologize again if this is a trivial question. ...

Setting up a server
Hi, I helping my friend setup his office of about 10 users. They use office apps, and want Exchange on the server. As well as a backup of all there data. So I was thinking Win 2003 Small Business and Roaming profiles. I put together this system but not sure if it is a good configuration? CPU INTEL XEON 2.4Ghz MB INTEL SE7501CW2 Mainboard RAM Kingston 1GB (2X512MB) ECC DDR RAM HDD 2X SCSI 73GB HDD U320 10KRPM FDD 1.44MB Floppy Disk Driver CDROM 52XCD-RW VGA 8MB On board Case Aopen Server 300W Full Tower Case LAN on board Intel 10/100/1000 NIC Keyboard MS Keyboard & Optic...

How to set mail server to pass internet mail to other server for processing?
Dear Guys, My SendMail Server is currently being setup to send & receive mail locally only. How could I set the mail server so that it would pass internet mail to other server for processing. FYI, I am using SendMail v8.12.11 & I am new to SendMail. Thank you very much in advance. Regards, CL "CL" <cl@xtreamys.com> wrote in message news:416b307d$1_1@news.tm.net.my > My SendMail Server is currently being setup to send & receive mail > locally only. How could I set the mail server so that it would pass > internet mail to other server for processing. FYI...

Setting up an internal caching dns server with internal web server
I am trying to setup an internal dns server for my network. I am hosting websites for several domains on two different FC3 boxes with each box assigned an IP address on my local area network. I perform port forwarding of 80 traffic to one web server and port 8080 traffic to another server via my sonicwall firewall which has my external ip address. I have a third box hosting email for one of these 6 domains. All public dns resolution currently is handled by public dns servers and I wish to maintain this. I would like to setup a caching name server that will resolve the internal ne...

Server set up
I am having difficulty locating the 8.5 advanced folder in which I need to place my fm file so that I can create a server. Can anyone give advice about this? On Jan 17, 9:47=A0pm, buck.matthe...@yahoo.com wrote: > I am having difficulty locating the 8.5 advanced folder in which I > need to place my fm file so that I can create a server. Can anyone > give advice about this? Disregard. Found it. ...

Setting up own server
I was thinking of putting up an server on one of my computers but my friend says that u have to portforward some ports in the router for other people to access your server pupblic and not in a private network. I just woundering if any of u guys could help how to do it goes. I got two routers between my server computer and the modem, what is the best way to portfprward the routers and what ports. no@spam.invalid (Zurotzis) writes: > I was thinking of putting up an server on one of my computers but my > friend says that u have to portforward some ports in the router for > ...