Server set-up

Ive been using a standalone version 5.0 of FilemakerPro for years.  I am at
a new job now and my manager bought FMPro7 10 user pack and Server7. I
thought I could set it up on our server and the 8 computers that we use, but
something is not right.

I guess I really don't know what to do with Server 7.  I installed it and
ran it on our server and my computer, but not any other of the office
computers.

I installed FMP7 on the server, mine and the 8 other computers.  I wanted to
set it up so that the file that we will be using was on the server only.
For some reason, the other computers can't see the file on the server, but
if I have the file from  the server open, or a file on my computer open,
they can find it by using  "open remote"

There were really no instructions on the proper way to set up a networked
system, and it is next to impossible to get a live person on the phone at
Filemaker.  My manager overspent $3,400 for these and Developer 7 and
something else.

Any assistance in the correct way to install FMP 7 and Server 7 to work on a
network will be greatly appreciated.

Baffled in Erie, PA

0
Kenny
12/25/2004 11:00:22 PM
comp.databases.filemaker 10958 articles. 0 followers. amosw01 (46) is leader. Post Follow

Kenny in PA <ks4078@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ive been using a standalone version 5.0 of FilemakerPro for years.  I am at
> a new job now and my manager bought FMPro7 10 user pack and Server7. I
> thought I could set it up on our server and the 8 computers that we use, but
> something is not right.
>
> I guess I really don't know what to do with Server 7.  I installed it and
> ran it on our server and my computer, but not any other of the office
> computers.

Server belongs ONLY on the server computer. FMPro belongs on each of the
guest computers, but NOT the server (unless you use it to make changes
on the files while the service is stopped on the server computer.)  Do
not run FMPro and FM Server at the same time on a single machine. This
can be done for development purposes by experienced developers, but not
for deployment in a production environment.

The files (.fp7) should be inside the "Data" folder inside the FM Server
installed application folder.

FM Server runs as a service, so the only way to access it is through the
FM Server Administration app, on OS X. I haven't ever done it on Win
2003 Server, so look in the documentation.  Since you don't specify
platform, I'm guessing you use The Only Platform In the World, Windows.

> I installed FMP7 on the server, mine and the 8 other computers.  I wanted to
> set it up so that the file that we will be using was on the server only.
> For some reason, the other computers can't see the file on the server, but
> if I have the file from  the server open, or a file on my computer open,
> they can find it by using  "open remote"

Here, Filemaker has saved you from yourself. This is exactly the right
configuration. You should NOT have file sharing turned on for the server
computer, and so you should NOT be able to "see" the files on the
computer.  However, as you discover, the Open Remote will reveal the
files using the correct access method.

One should be VERY cautious about having identically named files on
local machines AND the server at the same time. FM will confuse them,
data will be entered in the wrong file, and 'go missing.'  Disconnect
your local machine from the network for development, or change your
local copy of FM to "none" under network protocol for development. Then
zip or rename the local files while connected to the network, so other
users don't "find" your files instead of the served ones.

> There were really no instructions on the proper way to set up a networked
> system, and it is next to impossible to get a live person on the phone at
> Filemaker.  My manager overspent $3,400 for these and Developer 7 and
> something else.

No instructions? You mean the documentation on the FMI website was
insufficient?

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/index.html, scroll down and you'll
see a Documentation and Publications section that will lead you to
hundreds and thousands of pages of white papers, technical briefs and
tech info knowledge base articles. I'd look particularly under the tech
briefs for the article called "How to take advantage of new Server model
and capabilities"

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/TechBrief_sever7_0704.pdf

I will also point out that it is the Xmas holiday here. FMI pretty much
closes down and many people are gone until after New Years.

If your manager spent $3,400, I suspect he or she also obtained a copy
of FM Server Advanced, which is the web publishing portion of FM. You
are set up to do very sophistocated things with your data, without any
additional software.  I wouldn't be characterizing it as "overspending"
unless your needs are extremely modest.  Maybe it is, but perhaps your
manager has more ambitious ideas in mind. FM is a product that can grow
with your organization quite extensively.

> Any assistance in the correct way to install FMP 7 and Server 7 to work on a
> network will be greatly appreciated.

I suspect you would benefit greatly from finding and employing a
professional in Filemaker development and deployment for a few days
consulting. On the FMI website, under developers, you can search in your
local area for FSA developers who can help you get the most out of your
investment in the software.

Most often, ANY software purchase that fails to provide satisfaction
does so because of improper system design, deployment, or inadequate
hardware/networking provisions.  It pays in the end to consult with
someone who has a proven history of bringing successful data management
software into organizations like yours.  Find someone like that locally,
rather than trying to learn years of "gotchas" (which are mostly not in
any organized documentation) in a few weeks.   Your stress level will
thank you.

Lynn Allen
--
Allen & Allen Semiotics        www.semiotics.com
FSA Associate       Filemaker Design & Consulting

0
lynn
12/25/2004 11:33:42 PM
Outstanding summary, Lynn, of what to do and should be done to handle an FMP
server configuration.
Thanks for us all.
Remi-Noel Menegaux

"Lynn allen" <lynn@NOT-semiotics.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
1gpcvji.xwqk0se803osN%lynn@NOT-semiotics.com...
> [...]
> local area for FSA developers who can help you get the most out of your
> investment in the software.
>
> Most often, ANY software purchase that fails to provide satisfaction
> does so because of improper system design, deployment, or inadequate
> hardware/networking provisions.  It pays in the end to consult with
> someone who has a proven history of bringing successful data management
> software into organizations like yours.  Find someone like that locally,
> rather than trying to learn years of "gotchas" (which are mostly not in
> any organized documentation) in a few weeks.   Your stress level will
> thank you.
>
> Lynn Allen
> --
> Allen & Allen Semiotics        www.semiotics.com
> FSA Associate       Filemaker Design & Consulting

RN
12/26/2004 5:48:58 AM
That is exactly how you do it. You must have the files running in
server, then open them "remote"-ly.
- jp

0
jeanpaul