Sorting a new list

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

This seems very fundamental but I just can not see the wood for the
trees.
When building a new List view/report with the wizard there is an option
to set a sort order for this list.
Question -- How to change this order after the layout is finished.?

--
John G

0
Reply John 1/24/2011 4:31:25 AM

See related articles to this posting

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:31:25 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>This seems very fundamental but I just can not see the wood for the
>trees.
>When building a new List view/report with the wizard there is an option
>to set a sort order for this list.
>Question -- How to change this order after the layout is finished.?

Under Records menu click on Unsort.

The wizard also gives you the option to create a default script which
will go to that layout and then sort the records based on the sort
order you selected. That is the primary function of selecting a sort
order. So if your not interested in sorting those records, simply skip
that part of the wizard.

M Myett
0
Reply Michael 1/24/2011 9:05:35 AM

Michael Myett pretended :
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:31:25 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> This seems very fundamental but I just can not see the wood for the
>> trees.
>> When building a new List view/report with the wizard there is an option
>> to set a sort order for this list.
>> Question -- How to change this order after the layout is finished.?
>
> Under Records menu click on Unsort.
>
> The wizard also gives you the option to create a default script which
> will go to that layout and then sort the records based on the sort
> order you selected. That is the primary function of selecting a sort
> order. So if your not interested in sorting those records, simply skip
> that part of the wizard.
>
> M Myett

I want to modify the default sort set in the step before generating a
scrip. In fact I did not particularly want a script there if I could
avoid it.
Of course I could build another layout with the sort I want and
deletete the earlier one but I just think there should be a way to
modify the original.

--
John G

0
Reply John 1/24/2011 9:18:30 AM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:18:30 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>Michael Myett pretended :
>> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:31:25 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This seems very fundamental but I just can not see the wood for the
>>> trees.
>>> When building a new List view/report with the wizard there is an option
>>> to set a sort order for this list.
>>> Question -- How to change this order after the layout is finished.?
>>
>> Under Records menu click on Unsort.
>>
>> The wizard also gives you the option to create a default script which
>> will go to that layout and then sort the records based on the sort
>> order you selected. That is the primary function of selecting a sort
>> order. So if your not interested in sorting those records, simply skip
>> that part of the wizard.
>>
>> M Myett
>
>I want to modify the default sort set in the step before generating a
>scrip. In fact I did not particularly want a script there if I could
>avoid it.
>Of course I could build another layout with the sort I want and
>deletete the earlier one but I just think there should be a way to
>modify the original.

There is. Resort the records by going to Records > Sort in the menu
items while on the layout you created. If you do not want a script
simply go to manage scripts and delete it or tell the wizard not to
create it in the first place. If you want the script but w/ a new sort
order, go to manage scripts and edit the script to create the sort
order you desire.

The script is not built into the layout or perminent. There is always
a way to modify something in FileMaker.
0
Reply Michael 1/24/2011 9:29:58 AM

Michael Myett explained :
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:18:30 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> Michael Myett pretended :

>>> Under Records menu click on Unsort.
>>>
>>> The wizard also gives you the option to create a default script which
>>> will go to that layout and then sort the records based on the sort
>>> order you selected. That is the primary function of selecting a sort
>>> order. So if your not interested in sorting those records, simply skip
>>> that part of the wizard.
>>>
>>> M Myett
>>
>> I want to modify the default sort set in the step before generating a
>> scrip. In fact I did not particularly want a script there if I could
>> avoid it.
>> Of course I could build another layout with the sort I want and
>> deletete the earlier one but I just think there should be a way to
>> modify the original.
>
> There is. Resort the records by going to Records > Sort in the menu
> items while on the layout you created. If you do not want a script
> simply go to manage scripts and delete it or tell the wizard not to
> create it in the first place. If you want the script but w/ a new sort
> order, go to manage scripts and edit the script to create the sort
> order you desire.
>
> The script is not built into the layout or perminent. There is always
> a way to modify something in FileMaker.

I am sorry if I did not tell you this FM 11.
There is no script and of course I know how to resort the records.
In Fm 11 when you create a layout you can create a default sort order
for that layout. No scripts involved.
What I am asking is how to change that default sort order without
making a new layout.

--
John G

0
Reply John 1/24/2011 10:59:48 AM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 21:59:48 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>Michael Myett explained :
>> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:18:30 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Michael Myett pretended :

>>> I want to modify the default sort set in the step before generating a
>>> scrip. In fact I did not particularly want a script there if I could
>>> avoid it.
>>> Of course I could build another layout with the sort I want and
>>> deletete the earlier one but I just think there should be a way to
>>> modify the original.
>>
>> There is. Resort the records by going to Records > Sort in the menu
>> items while on the layout you created. If you do not want a script
>> simply go to manage scripts and delete it or tell the wizard not to
>> create it in the first place. If you want the script but w/ a new sort
>> order, go to manage scripts and edit the script to create the sort
>> order you desire.
>>
>> The script is not built into the layout or perminent. There is always
>> a way to modify something in FileMaker.
>
>I am sorry if I did not tell you this FM 11.
>There is no script and of course I know how to resort the records.
>In Fm 11 when you create a layout you can create a default sort order
>for that layout. No scripts involved.
>What I am asking is how to change that default sort order without
>making a new layout.

As I originally stated, go to the Records menu then select Unsort. How
are they being sorted again? Just going to a layout doesn't sort
records. All the wizard did was create a layout, once you've unsorted
the records they will stay that way until unsorted. FM 11 has nothing
to do with it.

when you create the layout you do not need to choose a sort order you
can skip this step. and it' not really a default, it sorts that way
after the wizard is complete but once it is resorted does not go back
to what you are calling the default.
0
Reply Michael 1/24/2011 11:21:33 AM
comp.databases.filemaker 10768 articles. 18 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Sorting method
If I want to sort a list - TStringList, or array on integer for example, do I need to create a new list, then delete the old one? I can't think of a method of moving values around inside the list. I basically have a list of strings which are numbers 1, 2, 14, 12, 10, 3 etc, and want to sort them numerically. However, I want them sorting like 1, 2, 3, 10, 12, 14.. rather than 1, 10, 12 etc.. like Windows explorer, or a TStringList sort method functions. JamesR. JamesR wrote: > If I want to sort a list - TStringList, or array on integer for > example, do I need to creat...

how to sort a hash list without generating a new object?
the source code is as follows x={} x['a'] = 11 x['c'] = 19 x['b'] = 13 print x tmp = sorted(x.items(), key = lambda x:x[0]) # increase order by default, if i want to have a descending order, what should i do? # after sorted is called, a list will be generated, and the hash list x is not changed at all, how to convert x to a sorted hash list without generating a new object? print tmp print x ...

[News] New Lists of GNU/Linux Applications Sorted by Categories

Sort a List, in a List of Lists of Lists
Dear Mathgroup, I have a lsit of Lists of Lists: {{{1,2},{2,1},{1,1}},{{1,1},{1,1},{1,2}},{{2,1},{2,2},{1,2}},{{2,2},{1,2},{2,2}},{{1,1},{2,1},{1,2}},{{1,2},{2,2},{2,2}}} I would like to sort the elements in the lowest level of brackets to give {{{1, 2}, {1, 2}, {1, 1}}, {{1, 1}, {1, 1}, {1, 2}}, {{1, 2}, {2, 2}, {1, 2}}, {{2, 2}, {1, 2}, {2, 2}}, {{1, 1}, {1, 2}, {1, 2}}, {{1, 2}, {2, 2}, {2, 2}}} i.e retaining the same structure with the paired elements in the original order. I can't seem to get the syntax right to do this apart from the obvious {{Sort[{1,...

Re: Sort a List, in a List of Lists of Lists
On 11/13/10 at 12:59 AM, leigh.pascoe@inserm.fr wrote: >I have a lsit of Lists of Lists: >{{{1,2},{2,1},{1,1}},{{1,1},{1,1},{1,2}},{{2,1},{2,2},{1,2}},{{2,2}, >{1,2},{2,2}},{{1,1},{2,1},{1,2}},{{1,2},{2, 2},{2,2}}} >I would like to sort the elements in the lowest level of brackets to >give >{{{1, 2}, {1, 2}, {1, 1}}, {{1, 1}, {1, 1}, {1, 2}}, {{1, 2}, {2, >2}, {1, 2}}, {{2, 2}, {1, 2}, {2, 2}}, {{1, 1}, {1, 2}, {1, 2}}, >{{1, 2}, {2, 2}, {2, 2}}} >i.e retaining the same structure with the paired elements in the >original order. I can't seem...

Sorting a list depending of the indexes of another sorted list
Hi ... I have the following DNS MX records info: domain.com preference 10 host mx1.domain.com preference 30 host anotherhost.domain.com preference 20 host mx2.domain.com I'm storing this info in 2 lists: preferences = [10, 30, 20] hosts = [ "mx1.domain.com", "anotherhost.domain.com", "mx2.domain.com"] (I was about to use a dict of preferences : domain, but it's possible to find 2 mx records with the same preference, so keys wouldnt be unique). I'm trying to sort both lists so that they end like this: preferences = [10, 20, 30] hosts = [ &...

Sorting lists of lists...

Sorting a List of Lists
I can't seem to get this nailed down and I thought I'd toss it out there as, by gosh, its got to be something simple I'm missing. I have two different database tables of events that use different schemas. I am using python to collate these records for display. I do this by creating a list of lists that look roughly like this: events = [['Event URL as String', 'Event Title as String ', Event Date as Datetime], ...] I then thought I'd just go events.sort(lambda x,y: x[2]<y[2]) and call it a day. That didn't work. But then lamda functions like to be ...

sorting a list of list
hi, are there available library or pythonic algorithm for sorting a list of list depending on the index of the list inside the list of my choice? d_list = [ ['a', 1, 9], ['b', 2, 8], ['c', 3, 7], ['d', 4, 6], ['e', 5, 5], ] Thanks james > are there available library or pythonic algorithm for sorting a list > of list depending on the index of the list inside the list of my > choice? The built-in sorted() function and the sort() method on various collections take an optional "key=function" keyword paramater with ...

Help with sorting lists of lists
I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this; please let me know the proper target if so. I have a list of lists of numbers, and I want to sort the sublists. Every variant on the syntax that I've tried either doesn't visibly do anything to sort the lists, or else undefines them all. Here's what I originally tried: for (my $i = 0; $i < $numActors; ++$i) { for (my $j = 0; $j < $actors[$i]; ++$j) { $prolls[$i][$j] = int (rand(20) + 1); } } @prolls[$i] = sort {$a <=> $b} @prolls[$i]; } } I suspect that ...

sorting a list of lists #2
Hi, i would like to sort a list of lists. The list is first sorted on the second item in the sub-lists (which I can do), then on the third item (which I can't). eg. records = [['dog',1,2], ['chair',2,1], ['cat',1,3], ['horse',3,4], ['table',3,2], ['window',3,5]] I want sorted to [['dog',1,2], ['cat',1,3], ['chair',2,1], ['table', 3,2], ['horse',3,4], ['window',3,5]] To sort on the second item in the sub-lists I do the following pass1 = itemgetter(1) sorted(records, key=pass1) How can I the...

"Faking a linked list" using arrays and sorting that list using an insertion sort...
-Hello, This would probably be classified as a data structures question... I have some records that I need to sort. Each record contains a rather large amount of data. I will not have to sort more than 100 records at a time, so an insertion sort should do the trick for me. I will only sort based on only one value in the record. One way to do this is just do an insertion sort, but I would also have to move more data around that way than I would like to move around. Instead of swapping all of the values in the record, I would like to keep track of these records in some way and sw...

Sorting a list of lists #3
Dear Folks, I have lines of values like so: 14, [25, 105, 104] 10, [107, 106, 162] 21, [26, 116, 165] I need to sort them in two ways: (a) By the numeric value of the first column; and (b) by the sum of the elements of the second item in each list, which is a list in itself. At present, I have appended each line into a list L so that I for teh above minimal data, I have a list of lists thus: [[14, [25, 105, 104]], [10, [107, 106, 162]], [21, [26, 116, 165]]] I have tried using (a) sorted(L, key = lambda x:(x[0])) and (b) sorted(L, key = lambda x:(sum(x[1]))) and get the anticipat...

Howto: extract a 'column' from a list of lists into a new list?
I'm writing some routines for handling dBASE files. I've got a table (DBF file) object & field object already defined, and after opening the file, I can get the field info like this: >>> tbl.Fields() [('STOCKNO', 'C', 8, 0), ('DACC', 'C', 5, 0), ('DEALERACCE', 'C', 30, 0), ('D-ACCRTL', 'C', 9, 0), ('D-ACCCST', 'C', 9, 0)] What I would like to do is be able to extract the field names into a single, separate list. It should look like: ['STOCKNO', 'DACC', 'DEALERACCE',...

Sorting list vs sorting vector
Hi If I have a list of *pointers* to objects that I need to store that will be sorted based on values within each object , which will be quicker - sorting a vector of pointers or sorting a list? Since the vector only needs to make 3 pointer copies to swap values whereas a doubly linked list will have to update a lot more prev/next pointers I'm guessing it will be the vector but I'm not 100% hence I'm asking the experts on this group. Thanks for any help. B2003 boltar2003@boltar.world, on 05/07/2010 11:58:12, wrote: > Hi > > If I have a list of *pointers*...

Revisit: List list = new ArrayList();
I saw some code go by today that was;Writer fw = new FileWriter(--- // since ... confuses some peopleI know we had a discussion the other day about;List list = new ArrayList();and why you would do that. I'm curious as to how many people would do the above with FileWriter, BufferedOutputStream, or FileOutputStream.And why would you not;Collection c = new ArrayList();The other question I had is what do you call that? Is it a cast? A sort of implicit cast across assignment? Is it mentioned in the JLS someplace?I'm not trying to get anyone's knickers in a twist with this, I'm j...

How to add the variable list to sort list
Purpose: This macro will sort a dataset by, at a minimum, study and subject id. These both have default values that can be changed by the user, if needed. If additional sort variables are input by the user (i.e. "visit visitnum) then these will be added to the sort by statement after study and subject id. After the sort, the program should append the first value that exists in the "Domain" column, (i.e. "SC") and "SEQ" to get the name of the column to populate (i.e. "SCSEQ"). This column will then be populated with unique sequential integer values,...

New newsreader, new Bozo list
I'm going to try to use Pan more, since I feel it's a more appropriate platform for flaming stupid wintrolls. This of course means that I have to re-plonk all the idiots that I had in Agent's filters. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. 8) Any hints/tricks for filtering-out nymshifters using Pan would be appreciated. 8) chrisv wrote: > I'm going to try to use Pan more, since I feel it's a more appropriate > platform for flaming stupid wintrolls. This of course means that I have > to re-plonk all the idiots that I had in Agent's filters. S...

Sorting the returned list in a Dialog List
Hi can anyone please assist. I have the following formula behind a field to return a list of values @Unique(@DbColumn("":"NoCache";"";"AvailableGrades";1)) However, The list is not returned as a sorted list (The list is constantly being updated) and I need to sort it. Is there a method to sort the returned list ? Any help greatfully accepted Best regards Iain Hi Iain, have a look into the help: @Prompt(...) does sorting, the flag [NoSort] supresses this. -- ***** NEW *** NEW *** NEW ***** http://home.arcor.de/s...

sorting list and then return the index of the sorted item
I need help sorting a list...I just can't figure out how to sort a list and then return a list with the index of the sorted items in the list for example if the list I want to sort is [2,3,1,4,5] I need [2,0,1,3,4] to be returned Can someone help please.... custard_pie wrote: > I need help sorting a list...I just can't figure out how to sort a list > and then return a list with the index of the sorted items in the list > for example if the list I want to sort is [2,3,1,4,5] > I need [2,0,1,3,4] to be returned http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/30686...

How do you sort a name list and list in random order?
--0-1933634877-1061694222=:6505 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii I am trying to write a program in which the users will each enter their names and when all names have been entered, I want to randomly sort this list of names several times and then show the order in which they have beeen sorted. I tried using sort(), but this only sorts the names in the order in which they are entered. Any suggestions? Thanks, Cisco --0-1933634877-1061694222=:6505 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii <DIV>I am trying to write a program in which the users will each enter their names and w...

Sorting text-file data into list lists
Dear Group: I have a large file with lots of numeric data, in matrix form. The rows and the columns both have non-numeric text headers. The comma is the delimiter. The character at the end of lines shows up as a "paragraph" mark in MS Word; I'm assuming it's a carriage return. I want to import the data into a nested list, like a matrix is usually represented in Mathematica. But my attempts using ReadList[] have so far failed. In[1]:= !!practice.txt col1 , col2, row1 , 1.00 ,, 2.00, row2 , 3.00 , -4....

Sorting x lists based on one list
Hi, I'm looking for an easy algorithm - maybe Python can help: I start with X lists which intial sort is based on list #1. I want to reverse sort list #1 and have all other lists sorted accordingly. Any idea is welcome. Regards, Philippe l1 = ['a','b','c'] l2 = ['toto','titi','tata'] # 'toto' refers to 'a', 'titi' to b' .... l3 = ['foo','bar','doe'] # 'foo' refers to 'a' ........ I want to reverse sort l1 and have l2 and l3 follow accordingly. Regards, Philippe ...

Convert (sorted) list of dics to nested list ?
Hi - I want to take something like ... lstIn = [] lstIn.append({'COM_AUTOID': 1, 'PRG_AUTOID': 10, 'LEA_AUTOID': 1000}) lstIn.append({'COM_AUTOID': 1, 'PRG_AUTOID': 11, 'LEA_AUTOID': 2000}) lstIn.append({'COM_AUTOID': 1, 'PRG_AUTOID': 11, 'LEA_AUTOID': 2001}) lstIn.append({'COM_AUTOID': 1, 'PRG_AUTOID': 11, 'LEA_AUTOID': 2003}) lstIn.append({'COM_AUTOID': 1, 'PRG_AUTOID': 12, 'LEA_AUTOID': 3000}) lstIn.append({'COM_AUTOID': 1, 'PRG_AUTOID': 12, 'LEA_AUTOI...