Sorting a new list

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

This seems very fundamental but I just can not see the wood for the
trees.
When building a new List view/report with the wizard there is an option
to set a sort order for this list.
Question -- How to change this order after the layout is finished.?

--
John G

0
Reply John 1/24/2011 4:31:25 AM

See related articles to this posting

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:31:25 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>This seems very fundamental but I just can not see the wood for the
>trees.
>When building a new List view/report with the wizard there is an option
>to set a sort order for this list.
>Question -- How to change this order after the layout is finished.?

Under Records menu click on Unsort.

The wizard also gives you the option to create a default script which
will go to that layout and then sort the records based on the sort
order you selected. That is the primary function of selecting a sort
order. So if your not interested in sorting those records, simply skip
that part of the wizard.

M Myett
0
Reply Michael 1/24/2011 9:05:35 AM

Michael Myett pretended :
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:31:25 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> This seems very fundamental but I just can not see the wood for the
>> trees.
>> When building a new List view/report with the wizard there is an option
>> to set a sort order for this list.
>> Question -- How to change this order after the layout is finished.?
>
> Under Records menu click on Unsort.
>
> The wizard also gives you the option to create a default script which
> will go to that layout and then sort the records based on the sort
> order you selected. That is the primary function of selecting a sort
> order. So if your not interested in sorting those records, simply skip
> that part of the wizard.
>
> M Myett

I want to modify the default sort set in the step before generating a
scrip. In fact I did not particularly want a script there if I could
avoid it.
Of course I could build another layout with the sort I want and
deletete the earlier one but I just think there should be a way to
modify the original.

--
John G

0
Reply John 1/24/2011 9:18:30 AM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:18:30 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>Michael Myett pretended :
>> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:31:25 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This seems very fundamental but I just can not see the wood for the
>>> trees.
>>> When building a new List view/report with the wizard there is an option
>>> to set a sort order for this list.
>>> Question -- How to change this order after the layout is finished.?
>>
>> Under Records menu click on Unsort.
>>
>> The wizard also gives you the option to create a default script which
>> will go to that layout and then sort the records based on the sort
>> order you selected. That is the primary function of selecting a sort
>> order. So if your not interested in sorting those records, simply skip
>> that part of the wizard.
>>
>> M Myett
>
>I want to modify the default sort set in the step before generating a
>scrip. In fact I did not particularly want a script there if I could
>avoid it.
>Of course I could build another layout with the sort I want and
>deletete the earlier one but I just think there should be a way to
>modify the original.

There is. Resort the records by going to Records > Sort in the menu
items while on the layout you created. If you do not want a script
simply go to manage scripts and delete it or tell the wizard not to
create it in the first place. If you want the script but w/ a new sort
order, go to manage scripts and edit the script to create the sort
order you desire.

The script is not built into the layout or perminent. There is always
a way to modify something in FileMaker.
0
Reply Michael 1/24/2011 9:29:58 AM

Michael Myett explained :
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:18:30 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> Michael Myett pretended :

>>> Under Records menu click on Unsort.
>>>
>>> The wizard also gives you the option to create a default script which
>>> will go to that layout and then sort the records based on the sort
>>> order you selected. That is the primary function of selecting a sort
>>> order. So if your not interested in sorting those records, simply skip
>>> that part of the wizard.
>>>
>>> M Myett
>>
>> I want to modify the default sort set in the step before generating a
>> scrip. In fact I did not particularly want a script there if I could
>> avoid it.
>> Of course I could build another layout with the sort I want and
>> deletete the earlier one but I just think there should be a way to
>> modify the original.
>
> There is. Resort the records by going to Records > Sort in the menu
> items while on the layout you created. If you do not want a script
> simply go to manage scripts and delete it or tell the wizard not to
> create it in the first place. If you want the script but w/ a new sort
> order, go to manage scripts and edit the script to create the sort
> order you desire.
>
> The script is not built into the layout or perminent. There is always
> a way to modify something in FileMaker.

I am sorry if I did not tell you this FM 11.
There is no script and of course I know how to resort the records.
In Fm 11 when you create a layout you can create a default sort order
for that layout. No scripts involved.
What I am asking is how to change that default sort order without
making a new layout.

--
John G

0
Reply John 1/24/2011 10:59:48 AM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 21:59:48 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>Michael Myett explained :
>> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:18:30 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Michael Myett pretended :

>>> I want to modify the default sort set in the step before generating a
>>> scrip. In fact I did not particularly want a script there if I could
>>> avoid it.
>>> Of course I could build another layout with the sort I want and
>>> deletete the earlier one but I just think there should be a way to
>>> modify the original.
>>
>> There is. Resort the records by going to Records > Sort in the menu
>> items while on the layout you created. If you do not want a script
>> simply go to manage scripts and delete it or tell the wizard not to
>> create it in the first place. If you want the script but w/ a new sort
>> order, go to manage scripts and edit the script to create the sort
>> order you desire.
>>
>> The script is not built into the layout or perminent. There is always
>> a way to modify something in FileMaker.
>
>I am sorry if I did not tell you this FM 11.
>There is no script and of course I know how to resort the records.
>In Fm 11 when you create a layout you can create a default sort order
>for that layout. No scripts involved.
>What I am asking is how to change that default sort order without
>making a new layout.

As I originally stated, go to the Records menu then select Unsort. How
are they being sorted again? Just going to a layout doesn't sort
records. All the wizard did was create a layout, once you've unsorted
the records they will stay that way until unsorted. FM 11 has nothing
to do with it.

when you create the layout you do not need to choose a sort order you
can skip this step. and it' not really a default, it sorts that way
after the wizard is complete but once it is resorted does not go back
to what you are calling the default.
0
Reply Michael 1/24/2011 11:21:33 AM
comp.databases.filemaker 10822 articles. 16 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Sorting method
If I want to sort a list - TStringList, or array on integer for example, do I need to create a new list, then delete the old one? I can't think of a method of moving values around inside the list. I basically have a list of strings which are numbers 1, 2, 14, 12, 10, 3 etc, and want to sort them numerically. However, I want them sorting like 1, 2, 3, 10, 12, 14.. rather than 1, 10, 12 etc.. like Windows explorer, or a TStringList sort method functions. JamesR. JamesR wrote: > If I want to sort a list - TStringList, or array on integer for > example, do I need to creat...

how to sort a hash list without generating a new object?
the source code is as follows x={} x['a'] = 11 x['c'] = 19 x['b'] = 13 print x tmp = sorted(x.items(), key = lambda x:x[0]) # increase order by default, if i want to have a descending order, what should i do? # after sorted is called, a list will be generated, and the hash list x is not changed at all, how to convert x to a sorted hash list without generating a new object? print tmp print x ...

[News] New Lists of GNU/Linux Applications Sorted by Categories

Sort a List, in a List of Lists of Lists
Dear Mathgroup, I have a lsit of Lists of Lists: {{{1,2},{2,1},{1,1}},{{1,1},{1,1},{1,2}},{{2,1},{2,2},{1,2}},{{2,2},{1,2},{2,2}},{{1,1},{2,1},{1,2}},{{1,2},{2,2},{2,2}}} I would like to sort the elements in the lowest level of brackets to give {{{1, 2}, {1, 2}, {1, 1}}, {{1, 1}, {1, 1}, {1, 2}}, {{1, 2}, {2, 2}, {1, 2}}, {{2, 2}, {1, 2}, {2, 2}}, {{1, 1}, {1, 2}, {1, 2}}, {{1, 2}, {2, 2}, {2, 2}}} i.e retaining the same structure with the paired elements in the original order. I can't seem to get the syntax right to do this apart from the obvious {{Sort[{1,...

Re: Sort a List, in a List of Lists of Lists
On 11/13/10 at 12:59 AM, leigh.pascoe@inserm.fr wrote: >I have a lsit of Lists of Lists: >{{{1,2},{2,1},{1,1}},{{1,1},{1,1},{1,2}},{{2,1},{2,2},{1,2}},{{2,2}, >{1,2},{2,2}},{{1,1},{2,1},{1,2}},{{1,2},{2, 2},{2,2}}} >I would like to sort the elements in the lowest level of brackets to >give >{{{1, 2}, {1, 2}, {1, 1}}, {{1, 1}, {1, 1}, {1, 2}}, {{1, 2}, {2, >2}, {1, 2}}, {{2, 2}, {1, 2}, {2, 2}}, {{1, 1}, {1, 2}, {1, 2}}, >{{1, 2}, {2, 2}, {2, 2}}} >i.e retaining the same structure with the paired elements in the >original order. I can't seem...

Sorting a list depending of the indexes of another sorted list
Hi ... I have the following DNS MX records info: domain.com preference 10 host mx1.domain.com preference 30 host anotherhost.domain.com preference 20 host mx2.domain.com I'm storing this info in 2 lists: preferences = [10, 30, 20] hosts = [ "mx1.domain.com", "anotherhost.domain.com", "mx2.domain.com"] (I was about to use a dict of preferences : domain, but it's possible to find 2 mx records with the same preference, so keys wouldnt be unique). I'm trying to sort both lists so that they end like this: preferences = [10, 20, 30] hosts = [ &...

Sorting lists of lists...

Sorting a List of Lists
I can't seem to get this nailed down and I thought I'd toss it out there as, by gosh, its got to be something simple I'm missing. I have two different database tables of events that use different schemas. I am using python to collate these records for display. I do this by creating a list of lists that look roughly like this: events = [['Event URL as String', 'Event Title as String ', Event Date as Datetime], ...] I then thought I'd just go events.sort(lambda x,y: x[2]<y[2]) and call it a day. That didn't work. But then lamda functions like to be ...

sorting a list of list
hi, are there available library or pythonic algorithm for sorting a list of list depending on the index of the list inside the list of my choice? d_list = [ ['a', 1, 9], ['b', 2, 8], ['c', 3, 7], ['d', 4, 6], ['e', 5, 5], ] Thanks james > are there available library or pythonic algorithm for sorting a list > of list depending on the index of the list inside the list of my > choice? The built-in sorted() function and the sort() method on various collections take an optional "key=function" keyword paramater with ...