Sorting a new list

This seems very fundamental but I just can not see the wood for the
trees.
When building a new List view/report with the wizard there is an option
to set a sort order for this list.
Question -- How to change this order after the layout is finished.?

--
John G

0
John
1/24/2011 4:31:25 AM
comp.databases.filemaker 10982 articles. 0 followers. amosw01 (46) is leader. Post Follow

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:31:25 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>This seems very fundamental but I just can not see the wood for the
>trees.
>When building a new List view/report with the wizard there is an option
>to set a sort order for this list.
>Question -- How to change this order after the layout is finished.?

Under Records menu click on Unsort.

The wizard also gives you the option to create a default script which
will go to that layout and then sort the records based on the sort
order you selected. That is the primary function of selecting a sort
order. So if your not interested in sorting those records, simply skip
that part of the wizard.

M Myett
0
Michael
1/24/2011 9:05:35 AM
Michael Myett pretended :
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:31:25 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> This seems very fundamental but I just can not see the wood for the
>> trees.
>> When building a new List view/report with the wizard there is an option
>> to set a sort order for this list.
>> Question -- How to change this order after the layout is finished.?
>
> Under Records menu click on Unsort.
>
> The wizard also gives you the option to create a default script which
> will go to that layout and then sort the records based on the sort
> order you selected. That is the primary function of selecting a sort
> order. So if your not interested in sorting those records, simply skip
> that part of the wizard.
>
> M Myett

I want to modify the default sort set in the step before generating a
scrip. In fact I did not particularly want a script there if I could
avoid it.
Of course I could build another layout with the sort I want and
deletete the earlier one but I just think there should be a way to
modify the original.

--
John G

0
John
1/24/2011 9:18:30 AM
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:18:30 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>Michael Myett pretended :
>> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:31:25 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This seems very fundamental but I just can not see the wood for the
>>> trees.
>>> When building a new List view/report with the wizard there is an option
>>> to set a sort order for this list.
>>> Question -- How to change this order after the layout is finished.?
>>
>> Under Records menu click on Unsort.
>>
>> The wizard also gives you the option to create a default script which
>> will go to that layout and then sort the records based on the sort
>> order you selected. That is the primary function of selecting a sort
>> order. So if your not interested in sorting those records, simply skip
>> that part of the wizard.
>>
>> M Myett
>
>I want to modify the default sort set in the step before generating a
>scrip. In fact I did not particularly want a script there if I could
>avoid it.
>Of course I could build another layout with the sort I want and
>deletete the earlier one but I just think there should be a way to
>modify the original.

There is. Resort the records by going to Records > Sort in the menu
items while on the layout you created. If you do not want a script
simply go to manage scripts and delete it or tell the wizard not to
create it in the first place. If you want the script but w/ a new sort
order, go to manage scripts and edit the script to create the sort
order you desire.

The script is not built into the layout or perminent. There is always
a way to modify something in FileMaker.
0
Michael
1/24/2011 9:29:58 AM
Michael Myett explained :
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:18:30 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> Michael Myett pretended :

>>> Under Records menu click on Unsort.
>>>
>>> The wizard also gives you the option to create a default script which
>>> will go to that layout and then sort the records based on the sort
>>> order you selected. That is the primary function of selecting a sort
>>> order. So if your not interested in sorting those records, simply skip
>>> that part of the wizard.
>>>
>>> M Myett
>>
>> I want to modify the default sort set in the step before generating a
>> scrip. In fact I did not particularly want a script there if I could
>> avoid it.
>> Of course I could build another layout with the sort I want and
>> deletete the earlier one but I just think there should be a way to
>> modify the original.
>
> There is. Resort the records by going to Records > Sort in the menu
> items while on the layout you created. If you do not want a script
> simply go to manage scripts and delete it or tell the wizard not to
> create it in the first place. If you want the script but w/ a new sort
> order, go to manage scripts and edit the script to create the sort
> order you desire.
>
> The script is not built into the layout or perminent. There is always
> a way to modify something in FileMaker.

I am sorry if I did not tell you this FM 11.
There is no script and of course I know how to resort the records.
In Fm 11 when you create a layout you can create a default sort order
for that layout. No scripts involved.
What I am asking is how to change that default sort order without
making a new layout.

--
John G

0
John
1/24/2011 10:59:48 AM
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 21:59:48 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>Michael Myett explained :
>> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:18:30 +1100, John G <greentest@ozemail.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Michael Myett pretended :

>>> I want to modify the default sort set in the step before generating a
>>> scrip. In fact I did not particularly want a script there if I could
>>> avoid it.
>>> Of course I could build another layout with the sort I want and
>>> deletete the earlier one but I just think there should be a way to
>>> modify the original.
>>
>> There is. Resort the records by going to Records > Sort in the menu
>> items while on the layout you created. If you do not want a script
>> simply go to manage scripts and delete it or tell the wizard not to
>> create it in the first place. If you want the script but w/ a new sort
>> order, go to manage scripts and edit the script to create the sort
>> order you desire.
>>
>> The script is not built into the layout or perminent. There is always
>> a way to modify something in FileMaker.
>
>I am sorry if I did not tell you this FM 11.
>There is no script and of course I know how to resort the records.
>In Fm 11 when you create a layout you can create a default sort order
>for that layout. No scripts involved.
>What I am asking is how to change that default sort order without
>making a new layout.

As I originally stated, go to the Records menu then select Unsort. How
are they being sorted again? Just going to a layout doesn't sort
records. All the wizard did was create a layout, once you've unsorted
the records they will stay that way until unsorted. FM 11 has nothing
to do with it.

when you create the layout you do not need to choose a sort order you
can skip this step. and it' not really a default, it sorts that way
after the wizard is complete but once it is resorted does not go back
to what you are calling the default.
0
Michael

Sort a List, in a List of Lists of Lists
Dear Mathgroup, I have a lsit of Lists of Lists: {{{1,2},{2,1},{1,1}},{{1,1},{1,1},{1,2}},{{2,1},{2,2},{1,2}},{{2,2},{1,2},{2,2}},{{1,1},{2,1},{1,2}},{{1,2},{2,2},{2,2}}} I would like to sort the elements in the lowest level of brackets to give {{{1, 2}, {1, 2}, {1, 1}}, {{1, 1}, {1, 1}, {1, 2}}, {{1, 2}, {2, 2}, {1, 2}}, {{2, 2}, {1, 2}, {2, 2}}, {{1, 1}, {1, 2}, {1, 2}}, {{1, 2}, {2, 2}, {2, 2}}} i.e retaining the same structure with the paired elements in the original order. I can't seem to get the syntax right to do this apart from the obvious {{Sort[{1,...

Re: Sort a List, in a List of Lists of Lists
On 11/13/10 at 12:59 AM, leigh.pascoe@inserm.fr wrote: >I have a lsit of Lists of Lists: >{{{1,2},{2,1},{1,1}},{{1,1},{1,1},{1,2}},{{2,1},{2,2},{1,2}},{{2,2}, >{1,2},{2,2}},{{1,1},{2,1},{1,2}},{{1,2},{2, 2},{2,2}}} >I would like to sort the elements in the lowest level of brackets to >give >{{{1, 2}, {1, 2}, {1, 1}}, {{1, 1}, {1, 1}, {1, 2}}, {{1, 2}, {2, >2}, {1, 2}}, {{2, 2}, {1, 2}, {2, 2}}, {{1, 1}, {1, 2}, {1, 2}}, >{{1, 2}, {2, 2}, {2, 2}}} >i.e retaining the same structure with the paired elements in the >original order. I can't seem...

Sorting a list depending of the indexes of another sorted list
Hi ... I have the following DNS MX records info: domain.com preference 10 host mx1.domain.com preference 30 host anotherhost.domain.com preference 20 host mx2.domain.com I'm storing this info in 2 lists: preferences = [10, 30, 20] hosts = [ "mx1.domain.com", "anotherhost.domain.com", "mx2.domain.com"] (I was about to use a dict of preferences : domain, but it's possible to find 2 mx records with the same preference, so keys wouldnt be unique). I'm trying to sort both lists so that they end like this: preferences = [10, 20, 30] hosts = [ &...

sorting a list of list
hi, are there available library or pythonic algorithm for sorting a list of list depending on the index of the list inside the list of my choice? d_list = [ ['a', 1, 9], ['b', 2, 8], ['c', 3, 7], ['d', 4, 6], ['e', 5, 5], ] Thanks james > are there available library or pythonic algorithm for sorting a list > of list depending on the index of the list inside the list of my > choice? The built-in sorted() function and the sort() method on various collections take an optional "key=function" keyword paramater with ...

Sorting a List of Lists
I can't seem to get this nailed down and I thought I'd toss it out there as, by gosh, its got to be something simple I'm missing. I have two different database tables of events that use different schemas. I am using python to collate these records for display. I do this by creating a list of lists that look roughly like this: events = [['Event URL as String', 'Event Title as String ', Event Date as Datetime], ...] I then thought I'd just go events.sort(lambda x,y: x[2]<y[2]) and call it a day. That didn't work. But then lamda functions like to be ...

Sorting lists of lists...

List of lists of lists of lists...
I would like to have a list of lists N times deep, and my solution is (in pseudocode): def deep(x): a=[x] return a mylist=[] for N: mylist=deep(mylist) Is there a more elegant way to do it? The maine idea is: from a list having the numbre of steps along N dimensions, generate a list with an item at each possible point. Example 1: N=2 list=[2,3] result=[[1,2],[1,2],[1,2]] Example 2: N=3 list=[3,1,2] result=[[[1,2,3]],[[1,2,3]]] -- Ángel Gutiérrez Rodríguez - agr@fq.uniovi.es Instituto de Ciencia de los Materiales de Madrid - CSIC SpLine - European Syncrothorn Radiat...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Filemaker Hangs When Creating New Database
I've got a conflict somewhere that doesn't let me create a new FM database without hanging up. Have to go to Task Manager to get out of it. I can open an exiting DB without trouble that is hosted by the FM server. Also when I try to import a photo into a container field FMP hangs as well. I tried removing FMP and reinstalling but no luck. I'm running FM Pro 6 on a Dell XP machine. Any ideas would be great. Thanks Steve ...

Sorting method
If I want to sort a list - TStringList, or array on integer for example, do I need to create a new list, then delete the old one? I can't think of a method of moving values around inside the list. I basically have a list of strings which are numbers 1, 2, 14, 12, 10, 3 etc, and want to sort them numerically. However, I want them sorting like 1, 2, 3, 10, 12, 14.. rather than 1, 10, 12 etc.. like Windows explorer, or a TStringList sort method functions. JamesR. JamesR wrote: > If I want to sort a list - TStringList, or array on integer for > example, do I need to creat...

HELP : Move old database in old machine to new database in new machine
What are the possible upgrade options for the following situations ? From(Old machine) To(New machine) ======================= ================ Oracle 8.0.6/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oracle 8.0.6/HP 10.20 Oralce 9i/HP 11.0 Oracle 8.1.5/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oracle 8.1.6/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oracle 8.1.7/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oralce 8i/Solaris 2.6 Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i Oralce 8i/Solaris 5.8 Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i Oralce 8i/Solaris 8i Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i A. Background and limitations ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Data size: Var...

New Free Database Has _Everyone_ Listed
Some email I got from a family member this past week: Beginning this month (May '05) a new database will be available to the general public, free of charge, that displays your personal information (names, addresses, phone numbers, birth dates). The database is found at http://www.zabasearch.com. I urge you to forward this email to family and friends. Check to see if your name and information is in their database. If so and you want it removed, send them an e-mail at info@zabasearch.com to request it be removed. I do not know how our names are appearing there, but I checked my o...

Sort a list with another list
I have a list of names & another unique list of numbers, lists are same length. I want to sort the list of names according to the number list. i.e. if the number list started 3 7 8 0 1..., then I want to create a new name list by putting the first name (list idx 0) in 3rd slot of new list, then second name in 7th slot etc. --------- It's easy to do the opposite, i.e. put the 3rd name into slot 0 of new list by using: for {set i 0} {$i < [llength $names]} {incr i} { lappend new_names [lindex $names [lindex $numbers $i]] } But this is not quite what I want. I tr...

Web resources about - Sorting a new list - comp.databases.filemaker

Sorting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For sorting we can either specify a weak order "should not come after" or a strict weak order "should come before" (specifying one defines also ...

Category:WikiProject Stub sorting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a collection of policy pages, discussion pages and categories relevant to the WikiProject Stub sorting . They are in no way "owned" or ...

Sorting Through The Facebook IPO-Related Rumors
There’s no shortage of speculation and rumors about Facebook’s upcoming initial public offering , some of it plausible, some of it not so much. ...

Caboose Express: Patterns and Sorting for Preschool and Kindergarten on the App Store on iTunes
Get Caboose Express: Patterns and Sorting for Preschool and Kindergarten on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

David Gandy outside Oliver Spencer show, London Collections: Men SS 2014, Day 2, 17 June 2013, Old Sorting ...
David Gandy outside Oliver Spencer show, London Collections: Men SS 2014, Day 2, 17 June 2013, Old Sorting ...

Skittles Sorting Machine 2 - YouTube
This is a machine I designed to sort Skittles. It uses a BASIC Stamp 2 and 3 servos for actuation. An IR LED and phototransistor are used to ...

Gallop should take a run at sorting out Waratahs
Gallop should take a run at sorting out Waratahs

Hurricane Sandy - she's sorting the men from the boys
Hurricane Sandy - she's sorting the men from the boys

Blacksocks - Sock Sorting App - There's an app for that
Having problems sorting socks? There's an app for that

Convicts and sex slaves: sorting the fact from the fiction in British TV series 'Banished'
A salacious story about the establishment of Sydney's penal colony should not be mistaken for history.