Synchronizing a solution database with a Filemaker 6 database

I have filemaker 6 Developer on my workplace computer and have built
an extensive database of about 150 current clients which includes a
few small relational database files.

I would like to be able to modify a copy of this database and convert
it into a solution to run on a notebook so I could update records at
the time of a client visit and then synchronize them with the
"central" database once I'm back on the network.

I have thought about using the export and import features that both
solutions and Filemaker have as a menu option, and wonder if anyone
has successfully been able to implement something like this?

Also, since my upgrade to FM7dev is shipping soon, has anybody got
suggestions on the best book for general Filemaker info as well as a
chapter or two expanding on the developer-specific capabilities?  I
never found one with good developer information for version 6.
0
nospam

Jon Edwards wrote:

> I have filemaker 6 Developer on my workplace computer and have built
> an extensive database of about 150 current clients which includes a
> few small relational database files.
>
> I would like to be able to modify a copy of this database and convert
> it into a solution to run on a notebook so I could update records at
> the time of a client visit and then synchronize them with the
> "central" database once I'm back on the network.
>
> I have thought about using the export and import features that both
> solutions and Filemaker have as a menu option, and wonder if anyone
> has successfully been able to implement something like this?
>
> Also, since my upgrade to FM7dev is shipping soon, has anybody got
> suggestions on the best book for general Filemaker info as well as a
> chapter or two expanding on the developer-specific capabilities?  I
> never found one with good developer information for version 6.

as you are waiting for FM7dev, and your solution is a few small
relational files, why not rebuild it in 7, and implement a data
separation model? A.User, B.data (C.Admin). That way you can just grab
and drop-replace the data file, ratther than import/export. The user
would need to maybe migrate to 7; I haven't tried replacing a runtime
data yet.

Chris Brown
Neurosurgery
University of Adelaide

0
Chris
6/21/2004 12:12:46 AM
Chris Brown <cbrown@medicine.adelaide.edu.au> wrote

> as you are waiting for FM7dev, and your solution is a few small
> relational files, why not rebuild it in 7, and implement a data
> separation model? A.User, B.data (C.Admin). That way you can just grab
> and drop-replace the data file, ratther than import/export. The user
> would need to maybe migrate to 7; I haven't tried replacing a runtime
> data yet.

It may be that files would be updated at the office by my staff while
I was out on a client visit, plus one computer would have Filemaker on
it (.fmp or .fm7 files) while the mobile PC would have a user solution
(.USR or other extension).  I am hoping someone has tried to use file
import/export to update changed records in a solution.

I know you can't use real-time networking for solutions (heaven knows
that'd be nice) but perhaps a button-push script on both ends to
automatically update/synchronize the files.  I'll look at what you've
suggested in v7 when I receive it...

Jon
0
nospam