Text field calculation to include a Number field with thousands separator

No doubt I'm missing something quite basic here but a silly little problem
that I can't find a solution to.

Using FM8.5 Adv on Win XP.

I have a number field called rem_charge, which appears on a layout, it is
displayed as a number with 2 decimal places and a thousands separator when
the value is 1000.00 or greater - all ok.

Also on this layout I have a calculated text field called rem_chargetext,
this field I have calculated as
"�" & rem_charge & " plus VAT"

I want the rem_charge part of this displayed with the thousands separator as
required. Unfortunately, I don't seem able to find a easy way to do this. I
guess it could be done with a script but I really want to avoid this if
possible. Is there a function available that I'm missing?

--
Jeff Wright

0
jeff7829 (34)

Look at this custom function:

http://www.briandunning.com/cf/196

Matt

On 02/21/2007 03:08:27 "Jeff Wright" <jeff@jeffwright.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> No doubt I'm missing something quite basic here but a silly little problem
> that I can't find a solution to.

> Using FM8.5 Adv on Win XP.

> I have a number field called rem_charge, which appears on a layout, it is
> displayed as a number with 2 decimal places and a thousands separator when
> the value is 1000.00 or greater - all ok.

> Also on this layout I have a calculated text field called rem_chargetext,
> this field I have calculated as "�" & rem_charge & " plus VAT"

> I want the rem_charge part of this displayed with the thousands separator
> as required.  Unfortunately, I don't seem able to find a easy way to do
> this.  I guess it could be done with a script but I really want to avoid
> this if possible.  Is there a function available that I'm missing?
0
m (125)
2/21/2007 2:55:30 PM
On Feb 21, 1:08 am, "Jeff Wright" <j...@jeffwright.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> No doubt I'm missing something quite basic here but a silly little problem
> that I can't find a solution to.
>
> Using FM8.5 Adv on Win XP.
>
> I have a number field called rem_charge, which appears on a layout, it is
> displayed as a number with 2 decimal places and a thousands separator when
> the value is 1000.00 or greater - all ok.
>
> Also on this layout I have a calculated text field called rem_chargetext,
> this field I have calculated as
> "=A3" & rem_charge & " plus VAT"
>
> I want the rem_charge part of this displayed with the thousands separator=
 as
> required. Unfortunately, I don't seem able to find a easy way to do this.=
> guess it could be done with a script but I really want to avoid this if
> possible. Is there a function available that I'm missing?
>
> --
> Jeff Wright

You don' say what the purpose of the calculated text field, but a
merge field may be appropriate here.  A merge field is a layout object
(you don't define it in the Define dialogs) that allows you to mix
text and fields.  I believe the pound sign is also available as an
option when setting the format of a number field.

DJ

Thanks Matt, that does the trick nicely.

--
Jeff Wright