To go or not to go?

Here we use Filemaker to manage our databases.

Now we were interested in evaluating filemaker to go to use it
eventually on an IPAD (which still we don't have).

Before buying, however, I want to understand a few issues which the
website didn't answer me (it's just marketing and vapor-ware there).

The first problem is about the synchronization of the data.
Is it still true that fm-to-go doesn't let you modify or create new
records?

That is not the end of the world, and it might even be fine.  But we
have a lot of databases (> 30 probably) and I would like to
synchronize
them all in the morning.

From what I've read we need to use iTunes and do some manual boring
and
stupid procedure. Are there smarter and automatic ways to use
something
like rsync?

FM Go allows you to do almost everything that you can do on an FM Pro
client.  The only real issues you may run into are in generated charts,
PDFs, imports/exports, and running plugins.  It is not just syncing the
data -- it is live data you are interacting with, just as you would with
an FM Pro client.

On 7/22/2011 5:57 AM, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> Here we use Filemaker to manage our databases.
>
> Now we were interested in evaluating filemaker to go to use it
> eventually on an IPAD (which still we don't have).
>
> Before buying, however, I want to understand a few issues which the
> website didn't answer me (it's just marketing and vapor-ware there).
>
> The first problem is about the synchronization of the data.
> Is it still true that fm-to-go doesn't let you modify or create new
> records?
>
> That is not the end of the world, and it might even be fine.  But we
> have a lot of databases (>  30 probably) and I would like to
> synchronize
> them all in the morning.
>
>  From what I've read we need to use iTunes and do some manual boring
> and
> stupid procedure. Are there smarter and automatic ways to use
> something
> like rsync?
0
howard4272 (336)
7/22/2011 5:28:49 PM
On Jul 22, 6:57=A0am, Andrea Crotti <andrea.crott...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here we use Filemaker to manage our databases.
>
> Now we were interested in evaluating filemaker to go to use it
> eventually on an IPAD (which still we don't have).
>
> Before buying, however, I want to understand a few issues which the
> website didn't answer me (it's just marketing and vapor-ware there).
>
> The first problem is about the synchronization of the data.
> Is it still true that fm-to-go doesn't let you modify or create new
> records?
>
> That is not the end of the world, and it might even be fine. =A0But we
> have a lot of databases (> 30 probably) and I would like to
> synchronize
> them all in the morning.
>
> From what I've read we need to use iTunes and do some manual boring
> and
> stupid procedure. Are there smarter and automatic ways to use
> something
> like rsync?

Running a database on FMGo is the same as running it with a FileMaker
Pro client, with a few differences. Not charting or PDFs, that's been
fixed in the latest version.

If you want to connect to a hosted database with FMGo but don't have
an internet connection via WiFi or 3G, you run into the same problem
than if you were on a non-iOS device running FMP with no Internet
connect...you just can't connect!

If that's important, being able to use a db offline and have it sync
to a master db, there is a new product out there which is getting a
lot of press despite being in beta called GoZync by the good folks a
SeedCode. It syncs both structure and data between an iOS device and a
hosted database. Looks like it has huge potential, though it may be a
little pricey for some ($399 for the server side and $129 per iOS
device).

Good luck,
David

_
David Jondreau
Wing Forward Solutions, LLC
www.wingforward.net
0
david5461 (11)
7/23/2011 5:36:55 AM
I probably didn't explain myself very well...

The synchronization issue doesn't have to be bidirectional, and
actually I'm perfectly
fine if I'm not able to modify/create records on the IPad, it's also
good just for consulting.

So the question was, is it possible/easy to automate the
synchronization without
passing through manual copying through iTunes?

Because if that's the case than no thanks, we'll work better without
it...
On Jul 27, 9:52=A0am, Andrea Crotti <andrea.crott...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I probably didn't explain myself very well...
>
> The synchronization issue doesn't have to be bidirectional, and
> actually I'm perfectly
> fine if I'm not able to modify/create records on the IPad, it's also
> good just for consulting.
>
> So the question was, is it possible/easy to automate the
> synchronization without
> passing through manual copying through iTunes?
>
> Because if that's the case than no thanks, we'll work better without
> it...

Andrea,

This is actually quite a problem with iOS deployment. There are a few
tricks to manage this yourself. FileMaker Go can open remote to the
server (or shared Pro version) however if you need offline access and
data synchronicity, the solutions are few.

Fortunately they are also quite good.

Assuming you do not want to build your own synchronization engine in
FileMaker, and let's be honest, who does? You should look at
SeedCode's product, GoZinc. http://www.seedcode.com/

They have solved this problem for everyone, which is quite nice of
them. Integration is a bit tricky, but we have walked through it and
would be glad to help if you want.

Court

Court Bowman, President
Cleveland Consulting, Inc.