Using Filemaker 7 Server Advanced and Windows Server 2003 standard

Hello,

I've bought Filemaker 7 Pro Server advanced and Windows Server 2003
Standard.

I've made a nice database in Filemaker Pro 7 using only scriptsteps that are
browsercompatible. NO problem... very nice result but... Setting up Windows
2003 Server and Filemaker Pro 7 advanced is a ...
If I look in the manuals of both Windows and Filemaker I get 1001 different
settingpossibilities, and I just don't want to learn it all because it is
not usefull to me. There must be some standard settings I schould do in
Windows Server and Filemaker Pro Server advanced so that I can make my
database available over the internet by using browsers.
Is there somebody out there who can tell me how to set up Windows Server and
Filemaker Pro 7 SErver advanced. Just what I should do. Nothing more,
nothing less.

Thank you.

Marc

PS I'v opend all the ports mentioned in the Filemaker manual and I have a
fixed IP-adress.

0
mark7975 (39)

Here's my documentation on how to setup FileMaker Server on a Mac.  In
principal it's similar on Windows.  The names that FileMaker gave to
the different components didn't work for me so I gave it my own names,
hope that doesn't confuse you.

FMS = FileMaker Server
FMSAdmin = FileMaker Server Admin - app used to start/stop FMS or see
open db etc
WPE = Web Publishing Engine - required to do IWP or CWP
FMWebOnApache = FileMaker Server Advanced Web Components - thing that
actually talks to FMS

Order of Installation

FMS8v3 Install
- install FMS8v2
- restart
- using FMSAdmin make sure nothing is launched on startup
- restart
- disconnect from network (updater checks all network places)
- run FMS8v3 update (only updates server not FMSAdmin)
- using FMSAdmin start FMS & check Server Version
- using FMP verify that you can connect to the default installed
database "FMServer_Sample_Config.fp7"

WPE Install
- quit Apache & FMS
- install FMS 8 Web Publishing Engine
- restart
- quit Web Publishing Engine by running command from Terminal:
	sudo SystemStarter stop "FileMaker Web Publishing"
- disconnect from network (updater checks all network places)
- run FMS8v3 WPE Updater
- restart

WPE Setup
- start Apache & FMS
- open FMSAdmin -> Configure -> Clients - enter identifier & passcode
for WPE
- open browser, enable cookies
- enter URL http://127.0.0.1/fmi/config
- enter a user name & pwd (needed every time changes are to be made to
WPE)
- go to FileMakerServer -> Server Address - enter location of server
and same Identifier & Passcode
- click "Restart Publishing Engine"
- click Logout
- stop Apache, then restart Apache
- enter URL http://127.0.0.1/fmi/config
- go to FileMakerServer -> Published Databases - should see sample
database
- verify that IWP works by entering URL    http://127.0.0.1/fmi/iwp

Hardware
Windows 1 - 50 Users
	- Windows 2000 Server SP4 & IIS 5.0    OR     Windows Server 2003 SP1
& IIS 6.0      OR      (Windows XP Professional SP2 doesn't do web???)
	- Pentium III 1GHz or Xeon processor, 256MB RAM, (1GB RAM recommended)
Mac 1 - 50 Users
	- G4 500MHz, 256MB RAM
	- Apache (version shipped with machine)
	- OSX 10.3.9   OR   OSX Server 10.3.9

Setup
1 Computer
	- FMS, Apache, FMWebOnApache, and WPE
	- open ports 5003, 16008-16018
2 Computers version A
	- Computer 1 - FMS, requires port 5003
	- Computer 2 - Apache, FMWebOnApache, WPE, requires port 16008-1618
	- port 5003 must be open between the 2 computers
2 Computers version B
	- Computer 1 - FMS, WPE, requires port 5003 and 16008-16018
	- Computer 2 - Apache, FMWebOnApache, requires ports 16010 and 16018
	- ports 16016 and 16018 must be open between the 2 computers
	- allows Web Server to be outside of firewall
3 Computers
	- Computer 1 - FMS, requires port 5003
	- Computer 2 - WPE, requires ports 16008-16018
	- Computer 3 - Apache & FMWebOnApache, requires ports 16010 and 16018
	- port 5003 must be open between Computer 1 and 2
	- ports 16016 and 16018 must be open between Computer 2 and 3
- see pg 15 of FMS 7 Web Install.pdf for specific protocols which need
to be enabled through the firewall

FileMaker Server (FMS)
- if FMS 7.0v3 is installed only FMPro 7.0v3 & Developer 7.0v3 are
supported, not earlier versions, also make sure WPE is at least at
7.0v3
- FMS uses the ports;
	5003 TCP, UDP - to send data between FMS & FMP (not configureable)
	50006 TCP - helper service uses this port (not configureable)
	50003 TCP - server service listens here first then connects to helper
service on 50006
- Win XP Professional SP2 has firewall blocking these ports, need to
allow access & restart the box to make firewall accept this
- do NOT put FMS to sleep, it will corrupt the files

FileMaker Server Admin (FMSAdmin)
- installed at Applications:FileMaker Server
- contains FMSAdmin Installer assumably for a remote workstation
install
- used to control local / remote FMS
- remote servers
	- remote FMSAdministration can be enabled from FMSAdmin -> Configure
-> Administration
	- in the initial "Connect to FileMaker Server" window add remote FMS
IP to favorites so that it can be select after FMS has stopped
- FMSAdmin -> Server (menu) -> Local FileMaker Server Administration
	- sets preference for local machine only
	- "Start all FileMaker Server process" - FMS will run without a user
logged in
	- "Start only FileMaker Server Helper process" - allows a local/remote
user to start & stop server
- FMSAdmin -> Server (menu)
	- after connecting to a FMS, use start / stop FMS

- FMSAdmin -> Databases
	- use the "Action" menu to refresh list or open / close database files
- FMSAdmin -> Schedules
	- create a backup schedule
	- can run schedule from Action menu
	- backup files are stored in Library:FileMaker Server:Data:Backups
- FMSAdmin -> Configure -> Clients
	- allow ODBC / JDBC
	- allow FMP's to download updates automatically
	- allow web access (IWP or CWP) need to add WPE as client
		- use same Identifier & Passcode as in FMWebOnApache AC -> FileMaker
Server -> Server Address
		- ONLY one WPE is allowed with each copy of FMS
		- Passcode is used to prevent unauthorized WPE from grabbing data
from FMS
- FMSAdmin -> Configure-> Administration
	- set FMS Name
	- allow Remote administration of FMS
- Log Files
	- statistics logging can be enabled from FMSAdmin -> Configure ->
Logging
	- log file are located at Library:FileMaker Server:Data:Databases:Logs

FileMaker Server Advanced Web Components
	Web Server Install (FMWebOnApache)
	- consists of 2 components always installed together on the computer
doing the web hosting
		- Web Server Module (WSM)
			- allows WPE to connect to Apache
		- Administration Console (AC)
			- used to configure WPE
			- to run it enable cookies in your browser and enter URL
http://127.0.0.1/fmi/config
			- AC -> FileMaker Server -> Server Address
				- stores server IP, identifier & passcode
			- AC -> FileMaker Server -> Published Databases
				- displays files accessible via IWP, XML and XSLT

	Web Publishing Engine (WPE)
	- consists of 2 components always installed together
		- Web Publishing Core - talks to Apache & FMS
		- Custom Web Publishing Engine - talks to Apache & Web Publishing
Core
	- is configured using the FMWebOnApache AC by entering URL
http://127.0.0.1/fmi/config
	- supports IWP and CWP via XML& XSLT
	- to get data from FMS the WPE needs to be registered as a client with
FMS
		- launch FMWebOnApache AC -> FileMaker Server -> Server Address and
enter Identifier & Passcode
		- go to FMSAdmin -> Configure -> Clients and enter same Identifier &
Passcode
	- Library:StartupItems launches the WPE on startup
		- to disable it, drag it out of the StarupItems folder and restart
computer
	- Terminal command to stop and start the WPE (include the quotes)
		sudo SystemStarter stop "FileMaker Web Publishing"
		sudo SystemStarter restart "FileMaker Web Publishing"
	- to have it use plugins they must be installed in Library:FileMaker
Server:Web Publishing:publishing-engine:wpc:plugins
	- Log Files
		- log files are not archived or deleted so they can get massive
		- statistics logging can be enabled from FMWebOnApache AC->
Publishing Engine -> General Settings
		- log file are located at Library:FileMaker Server:Web
Publishing:Logs
			- pe_application_log.txt - stores Error, Script & User logs
			- pe_internal_access_log.txt- enabled by access logging - logs XML
requests required by XSLT
			- web_server_module_log.txt - records errors generated by
FMWebOnApache WSM
			- wpc_access_log.txt - enabled by access logging - logs IWP & XML
requests

Database Files
- database files are stored in Library:FileMaker Server:Data:Databases
	- first level down is opened automatically
	- a second location can be specified from within FMSAdmin -> Configure
-> Default Folders
	- "FMServer_Sample_Config.fp7" is installed by default, should be able
to connect to that file with FMP
- on OSX the database files MUST have Group "fmsadmin" with read &
write permission
- if you're trying to login to a FMS file using FMP then the privilege
set tied to the login account MUST have "fmapp" enabled
- to hide a file in the list of db's displayed by FMS, it has to be
done with FMP under Sharing -> FileMaker Network mark the file as
"Don't display in Open Remote File Dialog"
- backups are stored in Library:FileMaker Server:Data:Backups

Other Info
Plugins
	- plugins need to be stored in 3 places;
		- Library:FileMaker Server:Extensions:Plugins - required for
automatic download
		- Library:FileMaker Server:Web
Publishing:publishing-engine:wpc:Plugins - think this is required for
server side calcs
		- on client computer
	- plugins need to be in the tar format
	- plugins need to be in the FMSAdmin group - page 42 of "FMS 7 Admin
Guide.pdf"
- almost all files in the Library:FileMaker directory need to be in the
group FMSAdmin - page 42 of "FMS 7 Admin Guide.pdf"

0
ad (117)