What is the "Target" & "Start In" for Network Desktop Shortcut to Filemaker 7 DB hosted by Filemaker Server 7

Hi,

With FM 6 I had a shortcut on the desktop of each PC that, when double
clicked, would open the desired database and take you right to the password
screen.  To do this I had TARGET=  \\LOCAL PC NAME\C$\PROGRAM
FILES\FILEMAKER\FILEMAKER PRO 6\FILEMAKER PRO.EXE \\FM SERVER PC
NAME\FILENAME\DATABASE NAME.FP6.  And, START IN = \\LOCAL PC NAME\C$\PROGRAM
FILES\FILEMAKER\FILEMAKER PRO 6.  This worked great.  Now, After converting
to Filemaker 7, I cannot seem to find the right filepath to do this.  I
would really appreciate any help you can give me.

Meryl

0
gullings (1)

In article <118iubibmglqebf@corp.supernews.com>, gullings@socket.net
says...
> Hi,
>
> With FM 6 I had a shortcut on the desktop of each PC that, when double
> clicked, would open the desired database and take you right to the password
> screen.  To do this I had TARGET=  \\LOCAL PC NAME\C$\PROGRAM
> FILES\FILEMAKER\FILEMAKER PRO 6\FILEMAKER PRO.EXE \\FM SERVER PC
> NAME\FILENAME\DATABASE NAME.FP6.  And, START IN = \\LOCAL PC NAME\C$\PROGRAM
> FILES\FILEMAKER\FILEMAKER PRO 6.  This worked great.  Now, After converting
> to Filemaker 7, I cannot seem to find the right filepath to do this.  I
> would really appreciate any help you can give me.
>
> Meryl

Wouldn't this open the file via windows filesharing? This is the worst
possible way to share files, and will eventually result in corrupted
data.

Most people use "launcher" filemaker files. Little FM apps with one
script that runs at startup, that checks to make sure networking is
turned on, etc, and then tries to connect to the fm server... via the
Open File script command, and then closes itself.

The file it opens on the server generally has its own startup script
that opens the rest of the required files, and initializes the solution.