Configuration Assistant problem

For the Configuration Assistant,
why gave me such errors when I try to add remote database "sample" on
linux (DB2 ESE UDB  version 8)using "add database wizard" to my local
DB server

SQL1005N  The database alias "SAMPLE" already exists in either the
local database directory or system database directory.

Explanation:

The alias name specified has already been used. If no alias is
specified in the catalog database command, the database name is
used as the alias.  When a database is created, the alias name is
the same as the database name.

 This error may occur on the catalog database command when the
alias already exists in the system database directory.

 On the create database command this error may occur in one of
the following situations:

o   The alias already exists in the system database directory and
    local database directory.

o   The alias already exists in the system database directory but
    not in the local database directory.

o   The alias already exists in the local database directory but
    not in the system database directory.

User Response:

For the catalog database command, uncatalog the alias from the
system database directory and resubmit your original command or
catalog the database with a different alias name.

 For the create database command, do the following operations
with respect to the above 3 situations:

o   Drop the database using the alias name.  Resubmit your
    original command.

o   Uncatalog the alias.  Resubmit your original command.

o   Catalog the alias into the system database directory.  Drop
    the database using the same alias.  Resubmit your original
    command.

The problem seems that remote database I tried to connect has the name
conflict with database "sample" on my local DB server

Does anybody experience such a problem?
How can I rename the remote db name?

Any soutions will be appreciated!

Many thanks

0
Thames
8/29/2005 12:00:10 PM
comp.databases.ibm-db2 12448 articles. 2 followers. arunrocks (9) is leader. Post Follow

Probably because you already have a SAMPLE database on your local
machine. You can't have two databases with the exact same alias in your
local db directory. Try using a different name for the remote sample
database.

Larry Edelstein

Thames wrote:
> For the Configuration Assistant,
> why gave me such errors when I try to add remote database "sample" on
> linux (DB2 ESE UDB  version 8)using "add database wizard" to my local
> DB server

> SQL1005N  The database alias "SAMPLE" already exists in either the
> local database directory or system database directory.
>

> Explanation:
>
> The alias name specified has already been used. If no alias is
> specified in the catalog database command, the database name is
> used as the alias.  When a database is created, the alias name is
> the same as the database name.
>
>  This error may occur on the catalog database command when the
> alias already exists in the system database directory.
>
>  On the create database command this error may occur in one of
> the following situations:
>
> o   The alias already exists in the system database directory and
>     local database directory.
>
> o   The alias already exists in the system database directory but
>     not in the local database directory.
>
> o   The alias already exists in the local database directory but
>     not in the system database directory.
>

> User Response:
>
> For the catalog database command, uncatalog the alias from the
> system database directory and resubmit your original command or
> catalog the database with a different alias name.
>
>  For the create database command, do the following operations
> with respect to the above 3 situations:
>
> o   Drop the database using the alias name.  Resubmit your
>     original command.
>
> o   Uncatalog the alias.  Resubmit your original command.
>
> o   Catalog the alias into the system database directory.  Drop
>     the database using the same alias.  Resubmit your original
>     command.

> The problem seems that remote database I tried to connect has the name
> conflict with database "sample" on my local DB server
>

> Does anybody experience such a problem?
> How can I rename the remote db name?
>
> Any soutions will be appreciated!
>

> Many thanks

0
Larry
8/29/2005 12:43:01 PM
How can I rename remote database "sample"  ?
thanks

0
Thames
8/29/2005 12:47:15 PM
Thames wrote:

> How can I rename remote database "sample"  ?

Just catalog it using a different name.  You could also do this:

db2 UNCATALOG DB sample
db2 CATALOG DB sample AS local_s

Then you can catalog the remote SAMPLE database and still talk to the local
SAMPLE database.  The latter will only be accessible by connecting to
LOCAL_S, though.

--
Knut Stolze
Information Integration Development

Larry Edelstein

Thames wrote:
> How can I rename remote database "sample"  ?
> thanks

0
Larry
8/29/2005 6:29:33 PM
Hi  Knut:

it works once I give an alias name for sample as u suggested

tons of thanks

0
Thames