Connecting to AS400 running on IBM with MS Access

Hello All,

I've been struggling on and off for 3 months trying to connect to an
DB2 database running on an IBM iSeries machine.

I FINALLY figured out how to connect with Coldfusion (see instructions
below).

So, now I am trying to connect to the same database with MS Access.  I
want to link the tables within Access so I can quickly query and answer
questions.

The problem is that I HAVE NO IDEA how to do this.  I'm familiar with
linking tables to other databases (MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle), but
I've never done it for IBM DB2 (I'm not even familiar with the IBM
terminology).  Usually I just download the ODBC driver, install it,
then I create a new datasource in Windows XP.  After the new datasource
is created, I'm able to connect no problem.

Can anyone walk me through the process of creating an ODBC connection
to a DB2 database?  What do I need to download (and where do I find the
download files)?  How do I set up the connection?  What port do I use?

Thanks!
--
nathan

PS: I may use the wrong terminology... I'm not an IBM guru and I don't
know the difference between AS/400, iSeries, and DB2.

PPS  here is how I connect with coldfusion:

1) Download the jtopen driver from IBM [1]
2) Unzip it and point the Coldfusion class path [2] to where the jar
files are [3]
3) Create a new connection in

JDBC URL: jdbc:as400://10.11.26.2/alumfhss
Driver class: com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver

[1] http://tinyurl.com/bfnm4 (
http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/preconfig.jsp?id=2006-01-16+14%3A12%3A40.950244R&S_TACT=104CBW71&S_CMP=&s=
)
[2] Coldfusion administrator > Java and JVM
[3] I put the jars in C:\CFusionMX\jdbc\jtopen_5_0\lib, so my class
path looks like C:\CFusionMX\jdbc\jtopen_5_0\lib,

0
Nathan

IIUC, The connection to DB2 is via the UDB client, installed on the
local machine. Set the connection up there, and there is even an option
for it to make the ODBC entry for you.

B.

0
Brian
1/24/2006 7:01:53 PM
Nathan Given wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I've been struggling on and off for 3 months trying to connect to an
> DB2 database running on an IBM iSeries machine.
>
> I FINALLY figured out how to connect with Coldfusion (see instructions
> below).
>
> So, now I am trying to connect to the same database with MS Access.  I
> want to link the tables within Access so I can quickly query and answer
> questions.
>
> The problem is that I HAVE NO IDEA how to do this.  I'm familiar with
> linking tables to other databases (MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle), but
> I've never done it for IBM DB2 (I'm not even familiar with the IBM
> terminology).  Usually I just download the ODBC driver, install it,
> then I create a new datasource in Windows XP.  After the new datasource
> is created, I'm able to connect no problem.
>
> Can anyone walk me through the process of creating an ODBC connection
> to a DB2 database?  What do I need to download (and where do I find the
> download files)?  How do I set up the connection?  What port do I use?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> nathan
>
> PS: I may use the wrong terminology... I'm not an IBM guru and I don't
> know the difference between AS/400, iSeries, and DB2.
>
> PPS  here is how I connect with coldfusion:
>

> 1) Download the jtopen driver from IBM [1]
> 2) Unzip it and point the Coldfusion class path [2] to where the jar
> files are [3]
> 3) Create a new connection in
>

> JDBC URL: jdbc:as400://10.11.26.2/alumfhss
> Driver class: com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver
>

> [1] http://tinyurl.com/bfnm4 (
> http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/preconfig.jsp?id=2006-01-16+14%3A12%3A40.950244R&S_TACT=104CBW71&S_CMP=&s=
> )
> [2] Coldfusion administrator > Java and JVM
> [3] I put the jars in C:\CFusionMX\jdbc\jtopen_5_0\lib, so my class
> path looks like C:\CFusionMX\jdbc\jtopen_5_0\lib,

Connection to DB2 on i-series requires DB2 Connect. DB2 Connect is part
of DB2 UDB ESE (limited license), but not part of DB2 UDB Personal
Edition or Workgroup Edition. You can find information about how to go
about doing this here:

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/support/manualsv8.html

see Installation and Configuration Supplement, Connectivity Supplement,
Quick Beginnings for DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition, DB2 Connect User's
Guide. In the Connectivity Supplement (chapter 8), you will find
references to other i-series publications that you will need to read.

Larry Edelstein
0
Larry
1/24/2006 7:13:11 PM
Larry wrote:
> Nathan Given wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I've been struggling on and off for 3 months trying to connect to an
>> DB2 database running on an IBM iSeries machine.
>>
>> I FINALLY figured out how to connect with Coldfusion (see instructions
>> below).
>>
>> So, now I am trying to connect to the same database with MS Access.  I
>> want to link the tables within Access so I can quickly query and answer
>> questions.

   <snip>

> Connection to DB2 on i-series requires DB2 Connect. DB2 Connect is part
> of DB2 UDB ESE (limited license), but not part of DB2 UDB Personal
> Edition or Workgroup Edition. You can find information about how to go
> about doing this here:
>
> http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/support/manualsv8.html
>
> see Installation and Configuration Supplement, Connectivity Supplement,
> Quick Beginnings for DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition, DB2 Connect User's
> Guide. In the Connectivity Supplement (chapter 8), you will find
> references to other i-series publications that you will need to read.
>
> Larry Edelstein

DB2 Connect is one way to connect to DB2 UDB for iSeries.  However many
people use ODBC (and other) support provided by iSeries Access.

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/access/languages.html
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/rzaik/rzaikcaapidb.htm

--
Karl Hanson
0

Is ESE an abbreviation?
Where can I download DB2 UDB ESE?

Thanks!
--
Nathan

0
Nathan
1/25/2006 4:33:52 AM
"Nathan Given" <nathan.given@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've started reading the manuals.  In the meantime, I have some
> questions:
>
> Is ESE an abbreviation?
> Where can I download DB2 UDB ESE?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Nathan

Enterprise Server Edition

You can get a 90 try and buy license version of ESE, or Personal Developers
Edition:

Go to http://www-306.ibm.com/software/
select Trials and betas (left side)
search on db2
registration is free

0
Mark

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Pe...

[...]

Connect to IBM DB2 database without installing the DB2 client.
Hi, To connect to the DB2 Driver, from a remote machine. Do we requier DB2 client. Can't we connect by just having IBM DB2 driver which is just a single file (db2cli.dll). I am using vb application from Windows platform to connect to DB2 on Linux machine. Regards, Santosh SB wrote: > Hi, > > To connect to the DB2 Driver, from a remote machine. Do we requier DB2 > client. > Can't we connect by just having IBM DB2 driver which is just a single > file (db2cli.dll). > I am using vb application from Windows platform to connect to DB2 on >...

Re: IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit,
vvcd said: > IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 > bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite > Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express > Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM > Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other > IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 > CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM > Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for Web...

DominoNews: IBM Connect becomes IBM ConnectED
---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------- DominoNews - IBM Collaboration Solutions (Lotus software) news IBM Notes and Domino since 2003 September 10, 2014 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------- SPONSORS: Genius Project for Domino: Try it free! Project Management Software for IBM Lotus Notes and Domino http://www.dominonews.com/dnews.nsf/ads/geniusproject AttachZIP: Attachment compression, image optimization and archive tool for = IBM Notes Compress attachments to ZIP forma...

DominoNews: IBM Connect becomes IBM ConnectED
---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------- DominoNews - IBM Collaboration Solutions (Lotus software) news IBM Notes and Domino since 2003 September 10, 2014 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------- SPONSORS: Genius Project for Domino: Try it free! Project Management Software for IBM Lotus Notes and Domino http://www.dominonews.com/dnews.nsf/ads/geniusproject AttachZIP: Attachment compression, image optimization and archive tool for = IBM Notes Compress attachments to ZIP forma...

Non-IBM alternative to "IBM Access Connections" ?
I'm looking for an application (or heck, even a cheap registry patch!) that will allow a laptop to switch between wired and wireless connections automatically, preferring wired Ethernet of course. I know that IBM Access Connections is such an application that does it for IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad's, but I'm looking for something more generic for use on any laptop with Windows XP. Does such an animal exist? -Rob XP should already be able to do this automatically. Go to the Network Connections folder. Select 'Advanced' from the menu bar, 'Advanced Settings'. The &...

[...]

java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver when connecting to a DB2 database using driver COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource
Hi, I want to get connection to a DB2 database using the driver COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource. I have also included 'db2java.zip' in the classpath. However I am getting the exception java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source) at Conn.main(Conn.java:44) The code that I am using (with try/catch removed) is as follows: String url = "jdbc:db2:sample"; String driver = "COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource"; String dbuser = "db2u...

Web resources about - Connecting to AS400 running on IBM with MS Access - comp.databases.ibm-db2

Connecting rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a reciprocating piston engine , the connecting rod or conrod connects the piston to the crank or crankshaft . Together with the crank, they ...

COVER BOY: Dec. 15 Issue of ‘Time’ Features Mark Zuckerberg on Connecting the World
The cover of the Dec. 15 issue of Time features a familiar face — that of Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg , the star of a long feature ...

Connecting People to Brands and Products on Mobile
People come to Facebook not only to connect with friends and family but also with products and brands. Here's how we're making it easier to list ...

What stops users from connecting with an app through Facebook?
... This equals 850 million users who connect with apps using Facebook at a 59 percent conversion rate. About 590 million users back out of connecting ...

Cold Christmas Bubbles - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle for Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Cold Christmas Bubbles - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle for Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

Connecting a Relay to Arduino - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Simple circuit to connect a 5V relay to one of the digital output pins of the Arduino. I drew this after a few threads showed up on the Arduino ...

Evidence Connecting Scott Roeder to Operation Rescue Found in Roder's Car - YouTube
Rachel Maddow unveils video evidence from KMBC TV in Kansas City of a note found in Scott Roeder's car at the time of his arrest for the murder ...