db2 client to connect to host databases and create/use local databases too

Is it possible to install DB2 client product(s) so that the same system
can connect to host databases like DB2 Connect can, *and* can also
create and use local databases like DB2 Personal can?

I have "DB2 Personal Edition" installed now, which does everything I
want except I get an SQL8002N about missing DB2 Connect product/license
when I try to connect to an OS/400 database.  I was thinking of trying
"DB2 Connect Personal Edition", but I cannot find confirmation anywhere
of whether that would let me also create and use local databases...
0
Cindy

On 17.04.13 12:31 , Cindy Ross wrote:
> Is it possible to install DB2 client product(s) so that the same system
> can connect to host databases like DB2 Connect can, *and* can also
> create and use local databases like DB2 Personal can?
>
> I have "DB2 Personal Edition" installed now, which does everything I
> want except I get an SQL8002N about missing DB2 Connect product/license
> when I try to connect to an OS/400 database.  I was thinking of trying
> "DB2 Connect Personal Edition", but I cannot find confirmation anywhere
> of whether that would let me also create and use local databases...

Yes, "DB2 Connect Personal Edition" is the one you want.

--
Helmut K. C. Tessarek
DB2 Performance and Development
>> Is it possible to install DB2 client product(s) so that the same system
>> can connect to host databases like DB2 Connect can, *and* can also
>> create and use local databases like DB2 Personal can?
>>
>> I have "DB2 Personal Edition" installed now, which does everything I
>> want except I get an SQL8002N about missing DB2 Connect product/license
>> when I try to connect to an OS/400 database.  I was thinking of trying
>> "DB2 Connect Personal Edition", but I cannot find confirmation anywhere
>> of whether that would let me also create and use local databases...
>
>Yes, "DB2 Connect Personal Edition" is the one you want.

Thanks, Helmut, but it doesn't seem to work for me.
I installed it, but when I try to CREATE DATABASE,
it says the command is not valid for the node type.
0
Cindy
4/18/2013 12:06:14 AM
On 17.04.13 20:06 , Cindy Ross wrote:
> Thanks, Helmut, but it doesn't seem to work for me.
> I installed it, but when I try to CREATE DATABASE,
> it says the command is not valid for the node type.

Ok, this is weird. Maybe the licensing has been changed at some point. The
last time I used Personal Connect was with version 5.2.

I'll figure it out and let you know.

--
Helmut K. C. Tessarek
DB2 Performance and Development
IBM Toronto Lab
0
Helmut
4/18/2013 12:29:50 AM
On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 20:06:14 -0400, Cindy Ross wrote:

> Thanks, Helmut, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I installed it, but
> when I try to CREATE DATABASE, it says the command is not valid for the
> node type.

You cannot create a database with DB2 Connect, since it is only a client instance. If you have both the
DB2 server installed and DB2 Connect installed, you will have to run the command line from the DB2
server instance.

The easiest thing to do would probably been to just copy the DB2 Connect Licence file over to your DB2
database server instance. This assumes you are licensed for the DB2 Connect and have a valid license
file.

0
Mark
4/18/2013 6:57:03 AM
>> Thanks, Helmut, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I installed it, but
>> when I try to CREATE DATABASE, it says the command is not valid for the
>> node type.
>
>You cannot create a database with DB2 Connect, since it is only a client instance. If you have both the
>DB2 server installed and DB2 Connect installed, you will have to run the command line from the DB2
>server instance.
>
>The easiest thing to do would probably been to just copy the DB2 Connect Licence file over to your DB2
>database server instance. This assumes you are licensed for the DB2 Connect and have a valid license
>file.

Thanks, Helmut and Mark.  Still trying to understand...

I don't have a server product installed.  I did have
   DB2 Personal Edition
which I used to create local databases, as well as access databases
running on db2 luw servers.  But I could not use it to access os/400
databases.
So, I deinstalled it, replaced with
   DB2 Connect Personal edition
But now I cannot create local databases, I get this:
   SQL1096N  The command is not valid for this node type.

I don't think I want to install server on this workstation,
but I would be willing to install both of these:
   DB2 Personal Edition
   DB2 Connect Personal Edition
I'm assuming I would install to separate sqllib directories?
And I would DB2 Personal Edition to create the databases only?
Then could use DB2 Connect Personal Edition to access *all* the
databases (luw servers, host servers, and even local ones once created)?

Is that the idea?
0
Cindy
4/18/2013 11:43:10 AM
Hi Cindy,

On 18.04.13 7:43 , Cindy Ross wrote:
> I don't think I want to install server on this workstation,
> but I would be willing to install both of these:
>    DB2 Personal Edition
>    DB2 Connect Personal Edition
> I'm assuming I would install to separate sqllib directories?
> And I would DB2 Personal Edition to create the databases only?
> Then could use DB2 Connect Personal Edition to access *all* the
> databases (luw servers, host servers, and even local ones once created)?
>
> Is that the idea?

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I made a mistake. I remembered local databases
on DB2 Connect Personal, but the databases I had in mind were actually
transaction databases for 2 phase commit.

You can install DB2 Personal Edition and add the license from DB2 Connect
Personal. (Mark already gave you this solution.)
In this case you can have local databases and use the same code to connect to
mainframe databases.

--
Helmut K. C. Tessarek
DB2 Performance and Development
IBM Toronto Lab
0
Helmut
4/24/2013 5:40:15 PM
>> I don't think I want to install server on this workstation,
>> but I would be willing to install both of these:
>>    DB2 Personal Edition
>>    DB2 Connect Personal Edition
>> I'm assuming I would install to separate sqllib directories?
>> And I would DB2 Personal Edition to create the databases only?
>> Then could use DB2 Connect Personal Edition to access *all* the
>> databases (luw servers, host servers, and even local ones once created)?
>>
>> Is that the idea?
>
>Yes, sorry for the confusion. I made a mistake. I remembered local databases
>on DB2 Connect Personal, but the databases I had in mind were actually
>transaction databases for 2 phase commit.
>
>You can install DB2 Personal Edition and add the license from DB2 Connect
>Personal. (Mark already gave you this solution.)
>In this case you can have local databases and use the same code to connect to
>mainframe databases.

Excellent.  Thanks so much, Helmut and Mark!!!
0
Cindy

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Connect to IBM DB2 database without installing the DB2 client.
Hi, To connect to the DB2 Driver, from a remote machine. Do we requier DB2 client. Can't we connect by just having IBM DB2 driver which is just a single file (db2cli.dll). I am using vb application from Windows platform to connect to DB2 on Linux machine. Regards, Santosh SB wrote: > Hi, > > To connect to the DB2 Driver, from a remote machine. Do we requier DB2 > client. > Can't we connect by just having IBM DB2 driver which is just a single > file (db2cli.dll). > I am using vb application from Windows platform to connect to DB2 on > Linux machine. > It's imposiblle. The IBM DB2 ODBC Driver is not only db2cli.dll. Try to install DB2 Run Time Client Lite merge modules with your VB application under client workstation. Direct connecting to DB2 databases supported JDBC Type 4 Driver only. P.S. Sorry for my bad english :( With best regards, Dmitry. FYI: On Windows DB2 comes with db2iprune tool. With this utility you can reduce size of installation binaries, for example you can reduce your DB2 runtime client to include only the interfaces you need. The db2iprune tool is located in the \db2\windows\utilities\db2iprune directory on DB2 product installation image. So, if you are planning install DB2 client with/within your application you can combine the tool with the response file and perform quick batch installation. -- Artur Wronski ...

how to use db2 connect server as a gateway to connect to mainframe db2 database
we have os/400 db2 database at the backend. i installed db2 v9 connect server on one windows server which is locating the same network with database server. now how to i configure the connect server and client, so client could access the database through the connect server? like that: db2client <--> db2 connect server <--> db2 mainframe database IBM keeps talking about this structure but never mention about the configuration in all the manuals.:( thanks for help! jeffhan wrote: > we have os/400 db2 database at the backend. > i installed db2 v9 connect server on one windows server which is > locating the same network with database server. > > now how to i configure the connect server and client, so client could > access the database through the connect server? > > like that: > > db2client <--> db2 connect server <--> db2 mainframe database > > IBM keeps talking about this structure but never mention about the > configuration in all the manuals.:( > > thanks for help! Info-center: - "DB2 Connect server products: installation and configuration overview": http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9/topic/com.ibm.db2.udb.uprun.doc/doc/c0008452.htm - "Preparing DB2 Universal Database for iSeries for connections from DB2 Connect": http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9/topic/com.ibm.db2.udb.uprun.doc/doc/t0008234.htm - &qu...

java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver when connecting to a DB2 database using driver COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource
Hi, I want to get connection to a DB2 database using the driver COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource. I have also included 'db2java.zip' in the classpath. However I am getting the exception java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source) at Conn.main(Conn.java:44) The code that I am using (with try/catch removed) is as follows: String url = "jdbc:db2:sample"; String driver = "COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource"; String dbuser = "db2u...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database...

connection to db2 database through db2 client on windows slows down intermittently
we are facing a problem here.We have two different IDs from which we connect to db2 database through Db2 client on windows. When I try connecting to database through one ID it establishes connectivity in 2-3 sec and when i try accessing connecting to same database through second ID it takes 5-6 minutes sometimes,although sometimes it hapens in seconds. When my colleagues try to access database through the second ID i tried with they get connected ie have connectivity in seconds. coonections are open to database . what might be the problem!any clue? we restart the database and then connection gets established. On 2 Aug 2006 08:59:55 -0700, zagri_as@yahoo.com <zagri_as@yahoo.com> wrote: > we restart the database and then connection gets established. Since the question is about connecting to DB2, have you asked in a more appropriate forum such as comp.databases.ibm-db2? You might get a different - better - response there. -- Jonathan Leffler #include <disclaimer.h> Email: jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@us.ibm.com Guardian of DBD::Informix v2005.02 -- http://dbi.perl.org/ ...

RE: connection to db2 database through db2 client on windows slows downintermittently
Sounds like a DNS problem. Scott MacKenzie - Dine' College ISD Phone/Voice Mail:=A0 928-724-6639 Email: scottm at dinecollege.edu -----Original Message----- From: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org = [mailto:informix-list-bounces@iiug.org] On Behalf Of zagri_as@yahoo.com Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 9:35 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: connection to db2 database through db2 client on windows slows = downintermittently we are facing a problem here.We have two different IDs from which we connect to db2 database through Db2 client on windows. When I try connecting to database through one ID it establishes connectivity in 2-3 sec and when i try accessing connecting to same database through second ID it takes 5-6 minutes sometimes,although sometimes it hapens in seconds. When my colleagues try to access database through the second ID i tried with they get connected ie have connectivity in seconds. coonections are open to database . what might be the problem!any clue? _______________________________________________ Informix-list mailing list Informix-list@iiug.org http://www.iiug.org/mailman/listinfo/informix-list ...

Convert SAP Oracle Database to IBM DB2 Database??
Hello, I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle database to IBM DB2 database? Did you realize greater disk saving via DB2 compression? Did you run the latest version of DB2 rather than allow SAP to keep your Oracle version back-leveled? Please, DB2 Bashers need not apply, looking for the business case anyone used to convert to DB2. Thank you. Charles On 6 Feb, 01:52, "Charles Davis" <cdavis10...@comcast.net> wrote: > Hello, > > I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle > database to IBM DB2 d...

connection remote to DB2 database with the C/C++, with prohibition of installation DB2 client software.
I have write connection to remote database (DB2) with the aid C/C++, but i can not install DB2 client software (everything that will be wanted for connection i must place in application, possibly - i can add some libraries DLL in folder with application. Do there be possible ? Some simplest idea ?? Any source code ?? I will be very beholden for any/every assistance thank / salute ........ and i apologize for my english ann ebneci@tlen.pl wrote: > I have write connection to remote database (DB2) with the aid C/C++, > but i can not install DB2 client software (e...

Is there a way to drop DB2 database buffer pool without connecting to database?
Greetings, We are having a situation here whereby one of our staff created a very huge 32K buffer pool in a production database and caused the database to go down. When we try to reconnect to the database using "db2 connect to <dbname>", its giving the following error: SQL1224N A database agent could not be started to service a request, or was terminated as a result of a database system shutdown or a force command. SQLSTATE:55032 Now we are not able to connect to the database eventhough after we restart the server and instance. What we are thinking now is whether it is possible to drop the 32k buffer pool without connecting to the database. Or is there any other workaround that would help us to resolve this problem. Your feedback is very much appreciated. Thank you. One possible way to solve the current problem is .. Create an registry variable db2 set DB2_OVERRIDE_BPF=<no of pages> --Set it to a optimum level based on the memory limits u have! .. Restart the instance On Feb 15, 2:17 pm, xeqis...@gmail.com wrote: > Greetings, > We are having a situation here whereby one of our staff created a > very huge 32K buffer pool in a production database and caused the > database to go down. When we try to reconnect to the database using > "db2 connect to <dbname>", its giving the following error: > > SQL1224N A database agent could not be started to servi...

creating a database using DB2
Hello all... well am pretty new to this DB2....i recently installed it on my system...i was trying to create a new database but it doesnt allow me to...it gives a error saying i need to give "start database manager" command in editor ...i did try that then it says "Db2 service failed to log on"........i would appreciate if any body can help me with this ...... <m.satishvarma@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1143605770.918903.317380@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com... > Hello all... > > well am pretty new to this DB2....i recently installed...

connect to db2 database using dbi?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00AE_01C346E9.721E52A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am trying to execute a query on a db2 database using the dbi module. = I'm wondering if someone can take a look at my code and tell me what I'm = doing wrong. I'm assuming it's a problem with my query, but my query = works fine in access, so I don't know. I guess I don't really = understand how queries work differently in db2. I typically connect to = a sql database. Here i...

Delay between CREATE DATABASE and ability to connect to that database
I have an application that creates a new database during installation, and I've noticed some strange behavior. Once I've created the database, I am able to immediately create tables and populate lookup data, provided I remain connected to the server. If, however, I disconnect and attempt to reconnect immediately, I'll get an error saying that my login is invalid for the new database. I can get around this by having my code simply wait 5 seconds before attempting to reconnect, but I'm curious to see if anybody here can give an explaination for why this is happening. Here is ...

Using .NET to access to a IBM DB2 database
Hello I'm trying to connect to a IBM DB2 database with IBMDA400 Provider. I cannot choose the provider, this is the only one I can use. The tables in AS/400 don't have journal and I cannot change this. When I define an ODBC and link tables in ACCESS I can perform every actions. I change the ODBC options to commit data immediately. Using the same ODBC and the same insert statement, when I connect in my C# application using ODBCConnection, I get this error: ERROR [42S22] [IBM][Controlador ODBC do iSeries Access][DB2 UDB]SQL0206 - Column N not in specified tables. Wh...

Web resources about - db2 client to connect to host databases and create/use local databases too - comp.databases.ibm-db2

Oracle: Fear Not, ’12c’ Database Nearing Its Breakout, Says Credit Suisse
... from cloud computing applications in 2016, along with the adoption by customers of the its “ 12c ” version of its flagship relational database ...

Enterprises want to run databases in containers
More than three out of four IT decision makers are interested in running stateful applications like databases within containers, according to ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Herbalife sinks on database error report
Herbalife said it had overstated growth in the number of "active new members" in some instances in the past three quarters due to database errors. ...

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

Architizer raises $7 million to launch a new products database
US media company Architizer has received $7 million in venture capital to help launch an online products database for architects and designers ...