Is there a way to drop DB2 database buffer pool without connecting to database?

Greetings,
  We are having a situation here whereby one of our staff created a
very huge 32K buffer pool in a production database and caused the
database to go down. When we try to reconnect to the database using
"db2 connect to <dbname>", its giving the following error:

SQL1224N A database agent could not be started to service a
          request, or was terminated as a result of a database
          system shutdown or a force command.
SQLSTATE:55032

  Now we are not able to connect to the database eventhough after we
restart the server and instance. What we are thinking now is whether
it is possible to drop the 32k buffer pool without connecting to the
database. Or is there any other workaround that would help us to
resolve this problem. Your feedback is very much appreciated.
   Thank you.

0
xeqister

One possible way to solve the current problem is

.. Create an registry variable
db2 set DB2_OVERRIDE_BPF=<no of pages> --Set it to a optimum level
based on the memory limits u have!
.. Restart the instance

On Feb 15, 2:17 pm, xeqis...@gmail.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>   We are having a situation here whereby one of our staff created a
> very huge 32K buffer pool in a production database and caused the
> database to go down. When we try to reconnect to the database using
> "db2 connect to <dbname>", its giving the following error:
>
> SQL1224N A database agent could not be started to service a
>           request, or was terminated as a result of a database
>           system shutdown or a force command.
> SQLSTATE:55032
>
>   Now we are not able to connect to the database eventhough after we
> restart the server and instance. What we are thinking now is whether
> it is possible to drop the 32k buffer pool without connecting to the
> database. Or is there any other workaround that would help us to
> resolve this problem. Your feedback is very much appreciated.
>    Thank you.

0
Peri
2/15/2007 9:46:02 AM
On Feb 15, 2:46 pm, "Peri" <peri.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One possible way to solve the current problem is
>
> . Create an registry variable
> db2 set DB2_OVERRIDE_BPF=<no of pages> --Set it to a optimum level
> based on the memory limits u have!
> . Restart the instance
>
> On Feb 15, 2:17 pm, xeqis...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > Greetings,
> >   We are having a situation here whereby one of our staff created a
> > very huge 32K buffer pool in a production database and caused the
> > database to go down. When we try to reconnect to the database using
> > "db2 connect to <dbname>", its giving the following error:
>
> > SQL1224N A database agent could not be started to service a
> >           request, or was terminated as a result of a database
> >           system shutdown or a force command.
> > SQLSTATE:55032
>
> >   Now we are not able to connect to the database eventhough after we
> > restart the server and instance. What we are thinking now is whether
> > it is possible to drop the 32k buffer pool without connecting to the
> > database. Or is there any other workaround that would help us to
> > resolve this problem. Your feedback is very much appreciated.
> >    Thank you.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Xeqis..

Whether the solution given by Peri fixed the issue, kindly let the
group to know abt the solution..if you did something else to recover
from this scenario...

Thanks,
vj_dba

0
vijay
2/15/2007 10:16:12 AM
On Feb 15, 4:16 am, vijay...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2:46 pm, "Peri" <peri.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > One possible way to solve the current problem is
>
> > . Create an registry variable
> > db2 set DB2_OVERRIDE_BPF=<no of pages> --Set it to a optimum level
> > based on the memory limits u have!
> > . Restart the instance
>
> > On Feb 15, 2:17 pm, xeqis...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > Greetings,
> > >   We are having a situation here whereby one of our staff created a
> > > very huge 32K buffer pool in a production database and caused the
> > > database to go down. When we try to reconnect to the database using
> > > "db2 connect to <dbname>", its giving the following error:
>
> > > SQL1224N A database agent could not be started to service a
> > >           request, or was terminated as a result of a database
> > >           system shutdown or a force command.
> > > SQLSTATE:55032
>
> > >   Now we are not able to connect to the database eventhough after we
> > > restart the server and instance. What we are thinking now is whether
> > > it is possible to drop the 32k buffer pool without connecting to the
> > > database. Or is there any other workaround that would help us to
> > > resolve this problem. Your feedback is very much appreciated.
> > >    Thank you.- Hide quoted text -

> Hi Xeqis..
>
> Whether the solution given by Peri fixed the issue, kindly let the
> group to know abt the solution..if you did something else to recover
> from this scenario...
> Thanks,
> vj_dba

RE.

btw, this situation is always available on HA cluster environments.
try the "buffpage" database configuration parameter.

0
Hardy
2/15/2007 5:26:45 PM
On Feb 15, 12:26 pm, "Hardy" <wyh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 15, 4:16 am, vijay...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > On Feb 15, 2:46 pm, "Peri" <peri.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > One possible way to solve the current problem is
>
> > > . Create an registry variable
> > > db2 set DB2_OVERRIDE_BPF=<no of pages> --Set it to a optimum level
> > > based on the memory limits u have!
> > > . Restart the instance

> > Hi Xeqis..
>
> > Whether the solution given by Peri fixed the issue, kindly let the
> > group to know abt the solution..if you did something else to recover
> > from this scenario...
> > Thanks,
> > vj_dba
>
> RE.
>
> btw, this situation is always available on HA cluster environments.
> try the "buffpage" database configuration parameter.

buffpage is ignored unless you've explicitly set a bufferpool's size
to -1, so it's quite useless in this situation.

The fact that the original poster gets a SQL1224N is strange -- if the
bufferpool can't be allocated in memory, DB2 should dump a "not enough
memory" message and start up with the "hidden" bufferpools (one
bufferpool for each page size with a small number of pages in each
bp).  This allows you to connect to the database and alter the sizes
as neccessary.

First, I'd open a PMR with IBM.  You should not get a SQL1224N in this
case - EVER.
Second, use Peri's suggestion of doing "db2set DB2_OVERRIDEBPF=<some
small number>"  This will force DB2 to ignore the bufferpool sizes in
the catalog, and will use <some small number> of pages for each
bufferpool instead.  This will let you alter the bufferpool sizes.

Regards,
Matt Emmerton

0
memmerto
2/16/2007 12:30:22 AM
On Feb 16, 8:30 am, "memme...@yahoo.com" <m...@gsicomp.on.ca> wrote:
> On Feb 15, 12:26 pm, "Hardy" <wyh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi Xeqis..
>
> > > Whether the solution given by Peri fixed the issue, kindly let the
> > > group to know abt the solution..if you did something else to recover
> > > from this scenario...
> > > Thanks,
> > > vj_dba
>
> > RE.
>
> > btw, this situation is always available on HA cluster environments.
> > try the "buffpage" database configuration parameter.
>
> buffpage is ignored unless you've explicitly set a bufferpool's size
> to -1, so it's quite useless in this situation.
>
> The fact that the original poster gets a SQL1224N is strange -- if the
> bufferpool can't be allocated in memory, DB2 should dump a "not enough
> memory" message and start up with the "hidden" bufferpools (one
> bufferpool for each page size with a small number of pages in each
> bp).  This allows you to connect to the database and alter the sizes
> as neccessary.
>
> First, I'd open a PMR with IBM.  You should not get a SQL1224N in this
> case - EVER.
> Second, use Peri's suggestion of doing "db2set DB2_OVERRIDEBPF=<some
> small number>"  This will force DB2 to ignore the bufferpool sizes in
> the catalog, and will use <some small number> of pages for each
> bufferpool instead.  This will let you alter the bufferpool sizes.
>
> Regards,
> Matt Emmerton- Hide quoted text -

Hi all,
   Thank you very much for all your feedbacks. As what Mr. Peri has
suggested, I set the environment variable "DB2_OVERRIDE_BPF", using:
   "db2 set DB2_OVERRIDE_BPF=10000"
then I restart the instance and reconnect to the database, woww....it
was succesful. I then altered the 32k buffer pool and the problem
solved. Actually I was also wondering why DB2 did not automatically
use the default IBMDEFAULTBP when it fails to allocate memory for the
new buffer pool. The database version that we are using is 7.2 on
Linux.  Anyway, the problem is solved and thanks again for all your
valuable feedback.

0
xeqister
2/16/2007 1:24:02 AM
On Feb 15, 6:24 pm, xeqis...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 16, 8:30 am, "memme...@yahoo.com" <m...@gsicomp.on.ca> wrote:

> > > RE.
>
> > > btw, this situation is always available on HA cluster environments.
> > > try the "buffpage" database configuration parameter.
>
> > buffpage is ignored unless you've explicitly set a bufferpool's size
> > to -1, so it's quite useless in this situation.
>
> > The fact that the original poster gets a SQL1224N is strange -- if the
> > bufferpool can't be allocated in memory, DB2 should dump a "not enough
> > memory" message and start up with the "hidden" bufferpools (one
> > bufferpool for each page size with a small number of pages in each
> > bp).  This allows you to connect to the database and alter the sizes
> > as neccessary.
>
> > First, I'd open a PMR with IBM.  You should not get a SQL1224N in this
> > case - EVER.
> > Second, use Peri's suggestion of doing "db2set DB2_OVERRIDEBPF=<some
> > small number>"  This will force DB2 to ignore the bufferpool sizes in
> > the catalog, and will use <some small number> of pages for each
> > bufferpool instead.  This will let you alter the bufferpool sizes.
>
> > Regards,
> > Matt Emmerton- Hide quoted text -

> Hi all,
>    Thank you very much for all your feedbacks. As what Mr. Peri has
> suggested, I set the environment variable "DB2_OVERRIDE_BPF", using:
>    "db2 set DB2_OVERRIDE_BPF=10000"
> then I restart the instance and reconnect to the database, woww....it
> was succesful. I then altered the 32k buffer pool and the problem
> solved. Actually I was also wondering why DB2 did not automatically
> use the default IBMDEFAULTBP when it fails to allocate memory for the
> new buffer pool. The database version that we are using is 7.2 on
> Linux.  Anyway, the problem is solved and thanks again for all your
> valuable feedback.- Hide quoted text -

DB2 7.2 has been out of service for more than 2 years (no longer
supported). The most current DB2 release is V9.1. In V8.1 or above,
DB2 will start with some "hidden" small bufferpools (one for each page
size) if there is not enough memory to start the database with the
bufferpool sizes defined by the DBA.

DB2 cannot just use IBMDEFAULTBP because it is a 4K bufferpool and you
obviously need a bufferpool with a 32K page size. Also, someone could
have set the number of pages for the IBMDEFAULTBP bufferpool so large
that it could not load into memory either.

0
Mark

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Connect to IBM DB2 database without installing the DB2 client.
Hi, To connect to the DB2 Driver, from a remote machine. Do we requier DB2 client. Can't we connect by just having IBM DB2 driver which is just a single file (db2cli.dll). I am using vb application from Windows platform to connect to DB2 on Linux machine. Regards, Santosh SB wrote: > Hi, > > To connect to the DB2 Driver, from a remote machine. Do we requier DB2 > client. > Can't we connect by just having IBM DB2 driver which is just a single > file (db2cli.dll). > I am using vb application from Windows platform to connect to DB2 on > Linux machine. > It's imposiblle. The IBM DB2 ODBC Driver is not only db2cli.dll. Try to install DB2 Run Time Client Lite merge modules with your VB application under client workstation. Direct connecting to DB2 databases supported JDBC Type 4 Driver only. P.S. Sorry for my bad english :( With best regards, Dmitry. FYI: On Windows DB2 comes with db2iprune tool. With this utility you can reduce size of installation binaries, for example you can reduce your DB2 runtime client to include only the interfaces you need. The db2iprune tool is located in the \db2\windows\utilities\db2iprune directory on DB2 product installation image. So, if you are planning install DB2 client with/within your application you can combine the tool with the response file and perform quick batch installation. -- Artur Wronski ...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database...

Convert SAP Oracle Database to IBM DB2 Database??
Hello, I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle database to IBM DB2 database? Did you realize greater disk saving via DB2 compression? Did you run the latest version of DB2 rather than allow SAP to keep your Oracle version back-leveled? Please, DB2 Bashers need not apply, looking for the business case anyone used to convert to DB2. Thank you. Charles On 6 Feb, 01:52, "Charles Davis" <cdavis10...@comcast.net> wrote: > Hello, > > I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle > database to IBM DB2 d...

db2 client to connect to host databases and create/use local databases too
Is it possible to install DB2 client product(s) so that the same system can connect to host databases like DB2 Connect can, *and* can also create and use local databases like DB2 Personal can? I have "DB2 Personal Edition" installed now, which does everything I want except I get an SQL8002N about missing DB2 Connect product/license when I try to connect to an OS/400 database. I was thinking of trying "DB2 Connect Personal Edition", but I cannot find confirmation anywhere of whether that would let me also create and use local databases... On 17.04.13 12:31 , Cindy Ross wrote: > Is it possible to install DB2 client product(s) so that the same system > can connect to host databases like DB2 Connect can, *and* can also > create and use local databases like DB2 Personal can? > > I have "DB2 Personal Edition" installed now, which does everything I > want except I get an SQL8002N about missing DB2 Connect product/license > when I try to connect to an OS/400 database. I was thinking of trying > "DB2 Connect Personal Edition", but I cannot find confirmation anywhere > of whether that would let me also create and use local databases... Yes, "DB2 Connect Personal Edition" is the one you want. -- Helmut K. C. Tessarek DB2 Performance and Development IBM Toronto Lab >> Is it possible to install DB2 client product(s) so that the same system >> can connect to host dat...

how to use db2 connect server as a gateway to connect to mainframe db2 database
we have os/400 db2 database at the backend. i installed db2 v9 connect server on one windows server which is locating the same network with database server. now how to i configure the connect server and client, so client could access the database through the connect server? like that: db2client <--> db2 connect server <--> db2 mainframe database IBM keeps talking about this structure but never mention about the configuration in all the manuals.:( thanks for help! jeffhan wrote: > we have os/400 db2 database at the backend. > i installed db2 v9 connect server on one windows server which is > locating the same network with database server. > > now how to i configure the connect server and client, so client could > access the database through the connect server? > > like that: > > db2client <--> db2 connect server <--> db2 mainframe database > > IBM keeps talking about this structure but never mention about the > configuration in all the manuals.:( > > thanks for help! Info-center: - "DB2 Connect server products: installation and configuration overview": http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9/topic/com.ibm.db2.udb.uprun.doc/doc/c0008452.htm - "Preparing DB2 Universal Database for iSeries for connections from DB2 Connect": http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9/topic/com.ibm.db2.udb.uprun.doc/doc/t0008234.htm - &qu...

java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver when connecting to a DB2 database using driver COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource
Hi, I want to get connection to a DB2 database using the driver COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource. I have also included 'db2java.zip' in the classpath. However I am getting the exception java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source) at Conn.main(Conn.java:44) The code that I am using (with try/catch removed) is as follows: String url = "jdbc:db2:sample"; String driver = "COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource"; String dbuser = "db2u...

test connection to a database without specifying a database
Hello! I do the following. 1.Right click on Data Connection in Server Explorer and choose Add connection 2. In the Data Source I select Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient) 3.In server name I enter localhost 4. I select Use Window Authentication 5. I click on Test Connection and the result is Test connection succeeded Now to my question I really don't understand how this is possible to test a connection without specifying any database ? Can somebody explain that. //Tony Tony (johansson.andersson@telia.com) writes: > I do the following. > 1.Right click on Data Connection in Server...

connection to db2 database through db2 client on windows slows down intermittently
we are facing a problem here.We have two different IDs from which we connect to db2 database through Db2 client on windows. When I try connecting to database through one ID it establishes connectivity in 2-3 sec and when i try accessing connecting to same database through second ID it takes 5-6 minutes sometimes,although sometimes it hapens in seconds. When my colleagues try to access database through the second ID i tried with they get connected ie have connectivity in seconds. coonections are open to database . what might be the problem!any clue? we restart the database and then connection gets established. On 2 Aug 2006 08:59:55 -0700, zagri_as@yahoo.com <zagri_as@yahoo.com> wrote: > we restart the database and then connection gets established. Since the question is about connecting to DB2, have you asked in a more appropriate forum such as comp.databases.ibm-db2? You might get a different - better - response there. -- Jonathan Leffler #include <disclaimer.h> Email: jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@us.ibm.com Guardian of DBD::Informix v2005.02 -- http://dbi.perl.org/ ...

Connect to DB2 database through PHP WITHOUT ODBC ?
Hi, is it possible to connect to a DB2 database through PHP WITHOUT ODBC like in MySQL? Example MySQL: // Open the database connection and use the sample // database $connection = mysql_connect("localhost","user1","xxxx"); mysql_select_db("sample", $connection); Best regards Markus Markus Keuthmann wrote: > Hi, > is it possible to connect to a DB2 database through PHP WITHOUT ODBC like in MySQL? > > Example MySQL: > > // Open the database connection and use the sample > // database > ...

DBI:ibm_db connection for IBM DB2 database
Hello, I am attempting to make a DBI connection from Ruby code running on Win32 (XP) machine to an IBM DB2 v9.5 database running under Linux On the Win32 machine, I have Ruby 1.8.6 (installed with the one-click installer) and have successfully launched the following gem installation commands for the IBM DB drivers and required libraries: >gem install activesupport -v 1.4.2 >gem install activerecord -v 1.15.3 >gem install ibm_db -v 0.8.5 I have also (as required by the IBM documentation at http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/2361/967/IBM_DB-0.6.0.pdf) added ‘ibm_db’ to the list of connection adapters on line77 of gems\1.8\gems\activerecord-1.15.3\lib\active_record.rb : RAILS_CONNECTION_ADAPTERS = %w( mysql postgresql sqlite firebird sqlserver db2 oracle sybase openbase frontbase ibm_db ) Here is the ruby code : ------------- require 'rubygems' gem 'ibm_db' require 'dbi' # Connect to a database dbh = DBI.connect('DBI:ibm_db:host=localhost;port=50000;database=MY_DB;', 'username', 'password') # Select some data sth = dbh.prepare('select * from my_table') sth.execute # Print out selected data while row=sth.fetch do p row end --------------- Error reported is as follows : C:\dev\ruby\dbtest>dbtest.rb c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:329:in `load_driver': Unable to load drive r 'ibm_db' (DBI::InterfaceError) from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:227:in `_get_full_drive...

RE: connection to db2 database through db2 client on windows slows downintermittently
Sounds like a DNS problem. Scott MacKenzie - Dine' College ISD Phone/Voice Mail:=A0 928-724-6639 Email: scottm at dinecollege.edu -----Original Message----- From: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org = [mailto:informix-list-bounces@iiug.org] On Behalf Of zagri_as@yahoo.com Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 9:35 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: connection to db2 database through db2 client on windows slows = downintermittently we are facing a problem here.We have two different IDs from which we connect to db2 database through Db2 client on windows. When I try connecting to database through one ID it establishes connectivity in 2-3 sec and when i try accessing connecting to same database through second ID it takes 5-6 minutes sometimes,although sometimes it hapens in seconds. When my colleagues try to access database through the second ID i tried with they get connected ie have connectivity in seconds. coonections are open to database . what might be the problem!any clue? _______________________________________________ Informix-list mailing list Informix-list@iiug.org http://www.iiug.org/mailman/listinfo/informix-list ...

How to connect to a DB2 database.
Hello Ruby world. The platform: ruby 1.8.2 (2004-07-29) [i386-mswin32] Windows/XP DB2 8.1.4 DBname = dvddbase The questions: 1 - How do I talk (connect) to a DB2 database using Ruby? 2 - Any sample code that can be shared? Thank you Victor On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 12:28:26AM +0900, Victor Reyes wrote: > Hello Ruby world. > The platform: > > ruby 1.8.2 (2004-07-29) [i386-mswin32] > Windows/XP > DB2 8.1.4 > DBname = dvddbase > > The questions: > > 1 - How do I talk (connect) to a DB2 database using Ruby? > 2 - Any sample code that can be shared? You...

connection remote to DB2 database with the C/C++, with prohibition of installation DB2 client software.
I have write connection to remote database (DB2) with the aid C/C++, but i can not install DB2 client software (everything that will be wanted for connection i must place in application, possibly - i can add some libraries DLL in folder with application. Do there be possible ? Some simplest idea ?? Any source code ?? I will be very beholden for any/every assistance thank / salute ........ and i apologize for my english ann ebneci@tlen.pl wrote: > I have write connection to remote database (DB2) with the aid C/C++, > but i can not install DB2 client software (everything that will be > wanted for connection i must place in application, possibly - i can > add some libraries DLL in folder with application. > > Do there be possible ? > > Some simplest idea ?? Any source code ?? > > I will be very beholden for any/every assistance > > thank / salute ........ and i apologize for my english > > ann What a coincidence! I just finished answering this very same question in another forum. Hope you don't mind a "second hand" answer :-)... A couple of solutions spring to mind: There's the standalone DB2 CLI / ODBC driver (separate from the clients) which is documented in the InfoCenter [1] and available from the Application Development for DB2 page [2]. It weighs in at a positively slim 14Mb (well ... slim compared to the sumo-wrestler that is the standard client, anyway...

Web resources about - Is there a way to drop DB2 database buffer pool without connecting to database? - comp.databases.ibm-db2

List of Nebraska Connecting Link, Spur, and Recreation Highways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nebraska Connecting Link , Nebraska Spur , and Nebraska Recreation Road highways are a secondary part of the Nebraska highway system . They connect ...

Israeli Hotel U Coral Beach Club Eilat Has a Unique Way of Connecting Guests to Facebook
U Coral Beach Club Eilat, a hotel in Israel , is taking sharing vacation photos and checking in to the next level thanks to a collaboration between ...

Connecting 100 Million People in Africa
„Facebook for Business“ liefert dir aktuelle Nachrichten, Tipps und Best Practices für den Einsatz von Facebook zur Erreichung deiner Unternehmensziele: ...

Papa John’s Connecting with 200,000 Fans on Facebook
More brands are engaging with Facebook’s 150 million users through Facebook advertising solutions and the Facebook Platform, patterns of best ...

Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Connecting the community, my Twitter strategy, and American Airlines at DFW - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
I thought, to commemorate this entry on connecting people, that I'd include a photo of an airplane from one of the busiest airports in the world ...

Connecting an Arduino to a DSC 1550 Alarm Panel - YouTube
Have an old DSC-1550 (PC 1550) Alarm Panel? This video shows how to connect an Arduino to the panel, simulate a keypad, and monitor the state ...