need to restore old database (database server 4.01 AIX)

hi.

i need to restore an old database. The db was backed up using a DLT drive,
using 2 volumes. The content for the tapes was copied to file onto Solaris
machine using rsh and dd (for backup purposes). Now, the drive is defective
and can't read the tapes anymore.

Server is AIX 4.3.2 and database is IBM DB2 Server (DB2 for AIX Version
2.1.2)

I tried doing an NFS export from solaris machine. and doing restore database
..... from /mnt but i got the following message:

SQL2542N  No match for a database image file was found based on the source
database alias and timestamp provided.

Any attempt to restore history or database was unsucessful with the same
message

The files seems to follow name conventions for that db2 version (verified
doing a backup for small db)

/mnt/vol1:
total 104357184
-rw-rw-r--   1 db2admin db2admin 53404766208 Dec 23 13:32
CARTOLAS.0.db2admin.0.
20040131220558.001

/mnt/vol2:
total 23030816
-rw-rw-r--   1 db2admin db2admin 11786010624 Dec 24 07:33
CARTOLAS.0.db2admin.0.
20040131220558.002

Also attempted to use fifo without luck (i understand that is supported from
v7.1)

Questions:

1. can convert tapes backups to disk, shared with NFS ?
2. i tested reading large files (with dd) without problems. Is the same
valid for db2 ?
3. i can't find any trailer at end of the volume 1 and volume 2, is this
normal ?
4. i'm searching some driver for simulate a tape drive but can't find such
program

i need ideas please!!

thanks.

0
HSP

Can you post the backup command that was used and the restore command
that failed?

Phil Sherman

HSP wrote:
> hi.
>
> i need to restore an old database. The db was backed up using a DLT drive,
> using 2 volumes. The content for the tapes was copied to file onto Solaris
> machine using rsh and dd (for backup purposes). Now, the drive is defective
> and can't read the tapes anymore.
>
> Server is AIX 4.3.2 and database is IBM DB2 Server (DB2 for AIX Version
> 2.1.2)
>
> I tried doing an NFS export from solaris machine. and doing restore database
> .... from /mnt but i got the following message:
>
> SQL2542N  No match for a database image file was found based on the source
> database alias and timestamp provided.
>
> Any attempt to restore history or database was unsucessful with the same
> message
>
> The files seems to follow name conventions for that db2 version (verified
> doing a backup for small db)
>
> /mnt/vol1:
> total 104357184
> -rw-rw-r--   1 db2admin db2admin 53404766208 Dec 23 13:32
> CARTOLAS.0.db2admin.0.
> 20040131220558.001
>
> /mnt/vol2:
> total 23030816
> -rw-rw-r--   1 db2admin db2admin 11786010624 Dec 24 07:33
> CARTOLAS.0.db2admin.0.
> 20040131220558.002
>
> Also attempted to use fifo without luck (i understand that is supported from
> v7.1)
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. can convert tapes backups to disk, shared with NFS ?
> 2. i tested reading large files (with dd) without problems. Is the same
> valid for db2 ?
> 3. i can't find any trailer at end of the volume 1 and volume 2, is this
> normal ?
> 4. i'm searching some driver for simulate a tape drive but can't find such
> program
>
> i need ideas please!!
>
> thanks.

0
Phil
12/25/2005 9:14:51 PM
Also, What version of DB2 are you attempting to restore to?

Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman wrote:
> Can you post the backup command that was used and the restore command
> that failed?
>
> Phil Sherman
>

> HSP wrote:
>
>> hi.
>>
>> i need to restore an old database. The db was backed up using a DLT
>> drive, using 2 volumes. The content for the tapes was copied to file
>> onto Solaris machine using rsh and dd (for backup purposes). Now, the
>> drive is defective and can't read the tapes anymore.
>>
>> Server is AIX 4.3.2 and database is IBM DB2 Server (DB2 for AIX
>> Version 2.1.2)
>>
>> I tried doing an NFS export from solaris machine. and doing restore
>> database .... from /mnt but i got the following message:
>>
>> SQL2542N  No match for a database image file was found based on the
>> source
>> database alias and timestamp provided.
>>
>> Any attempt to restore history or database was unsucessful with the
>> same message
>>
>> The files seems to follow name conventions for that db2 version
>> (verified doing a backup for small db)
>>
>> /mnt/vol1:
>> total 104357184
>> -rw-rw-r--   1 db2admin db2admin 53404766208 Dec 23 13:32
>> CARTOLAS.0.db2admin.0.
>> 20040131220558.001
>>
>> /mnt/vol2:
>> total 23030816
>> -rw-rw-r--   1 db2admin db2admin 11786010624 Dec 24 07:33
>> CARTOLAS.0.db2admin.0.
>> 20040131220558.002
>>
>> Also attempted to use fifo without luck (i understand that is
>> supported from v7.1)
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1. can convert tapes backups to disk, shared with NFS ?
>> 2. i tested reading large files (with dd) without problems. Is the
>> same valid for db2 ?
>> 3. i can't find any trailer at end of the volume 1 and volume 2, is
>> this normal ?
>> 4. i'm searching some driver for simulate a tape drive but can't find
>> such program
>>
>> i need ideas please!!
>>
>> thanks.

0
Phil
12/25/2005 9:18:21 PM
Thanks Phil !!

The command is

chdev  -l 'rmt0' -a block_size=4096 (as root)

db2 backup database cartolas to /dev/rmt0 (as db2admin)

from /usr/lpp/db2_02_01/lpp.README:

IBM Database Server for AIX Version 4.01
AIX-Specific IBM DB2 Server (DB2 for AIX Version 2.1.2)

sorry, there is not db2level command in this version.

from db2diag.log

Sat Dec 24 17:35:01 2005
db2admin pid(36020) process (db2agent (CARTOLAS))
buffer_pool_services  sqlbStopPools Probe:0 Database (CARTOLAS)

Stopping the database.

Sat Dec 24 17:35:24 2005
db2admin pid(28880) process (db2med.36020.0)
oper_system_services  sqlofindn Probe:37

0000 007f                                     ....

Sat Dec 24 17:35:25 2005
db2admin pid(28880) process (db2med.36020.0)
database_utilities    sqluMCInitRestoreMC Probe:360

Media Controller -- sqluInitFileDevice() ! device initialization warning

Sat Dec 24 17:35:25 2005
db2admin pid(36020) process (db2agent (CARTOLAS))
database_utilities    sqludrsa Probe:125 Database (CARTOLAS)

DiagData
ffff f612                                     ....

Sat Dec 24 17:35:25 2005
db2admin pid(36020) process (db2agent (CARTOLAS))
database_utilities    sqludrsa Probe:0 Database (CARTOLAS)

Restore terminated.

Sat Dec 24 17:35:25 2005

"Phil Sherman" <psherman@ameritech.net> escribi� en el mensaje
> Also, What version of DB2 are you attempting to restore to?
>
> Phil Sherman
>
> Phil Sherman wrote:
>> Can you post the backup command that was used and the restore command
>> that failed?
>>
>> Phil Sherman
>>

>> HSP wrote:
>>
>>> hi.
>>>
>>> i need to restore an old database. The db was backed up using a DLT
>>> drive, using 2 volumes. The content for the tapes was copied to file
>>> onto Solaris machine using rsh and dd (for backup purposes). Now, the
>>> drive is defective and can't read the tapes anymore.
>>>
>>> Server is AIX 4.3.2 and database is IBM DB2 Server (DB2 for AIX Version
>>> 2.1.2)
>>>
>>> I tried doing an NFS export from solaris machine. and doing restore
>>> database .... from /mnt but i got the following message:
>>>
>>> SQL2542N  No match for a database image file was found based on the
>>> source
>>> database alias and timestamp provided.
>>>
>>> Any attempt to restore history or database was unsucessful with the same
>>> message
>>>
>>> The files seems to follow name conventions for that db2 version
>>> (verified doing a backup for small db)
>>>
>>> /mnt/vol1:
>>> total 104357184
>>> -rw-rw-r--   1 db2admin db2admin 53404766208 Dec 23 13:32
>>> CARTOLAS.0.db2admin.0.
>>> 20040131220558.001
>>>
>>> /mnt/vol2:
>>> total 23030816
>>> -rw-rw-r--   1 db2admin db2admin 11786010624 Dec 24 07:33
>>> CARTOLAS.0.db2admin.0.
>>> 20040131220558.002
>>>
>>> Also attempted to use fifo without luck (i understand that is supported
>>> from v7.1)
>>>
>>> Questions:
>>>
>>> 1. can convert tapes backups to disk, shared with NFS ?
>>> 2. i tested reading large files (with dd) without problems. Is the same
>>> valid for db2 ?
>>> 3. i can't find any trailer at end of the volume 1 and volume 2, is this
>>> normal ?
>>> 4. i'm searching some driver for simulate a tape drive but can't find
>>> such program
>>>
>>> i need ideas please!!
>>>
>>> thanks.

0
HSP
12/25/2005 11:37:24 PM
You didn't include the restore command you used but the following may help:

Your original backup was to a single location - /dev/rmt0. The backup
was larger than the maximum file size allowed (the capacity of the tape)
so the backup went into a second file to complete the backup. This is
similar to what happens on a disk backup when the backup hits "ulimit"
and is forced to go to a second file.

Your original post indicates that you mounted the two files in separate
directories for the restore. This is a "change" from the backup
configuration.

Try placing the two files in the same directory and using a single mount
point to access them. Your restore database command should look
something like:
  restore database CARTOLAS from /mnt/oldbkup
I'm not sure if you will need the "taken at" clause with your back level
DB2. Reverify the file name structure and the pathing to the files from
the small database backup you took. If the pathing includes additional
directories after the "TO directory" in the backup command, then you
will have to architect the same pathing for your mount point.

It's also possible that the "dd" command copied system generated
labelling information from the tape drive when copying to disk. I'd dump
the first few blocks of a backup to disk and the tape files on disk to
see if there's some additional "header" stuff that "dd" included with
the data. If there is, then there may also be trailer stuff after the
data. Excess stuff can be easily stripped off by copying the files. I'd
also try making a backup of a small database to the remote (mounted)
solaris box. If the backup fails because the device isn't accessible
then a restore won't work and you'll probably have to copy the files to
the local machine.

Phil Sherman

HSP wrote:
> Thanks Phil !!
>
> The command is
>
> chdev  -l 'rmt0' -a block_size=4096 (as root)
>
> db2 backup database cartolas to /dev/rmt0 (as db2admin)
>
> from /usr/lpp/db2_02_01/lpp.README:
>
> IBM Database Server for AIX Version 4.01
> AIX-Specific IBM DB2 Server (DB2 for AIX Version 2.1.2)
>
> sorry, there is not db2level command in this version.
>
> from db2diag.log
>

> Sat Dec 24 17:35:01 2005
> db2admin pid(36020) process (db2agent (CARTOLAS))
> buffer_pool_services  sqlbStopPools Probe:0 Database (CARTOLAS)
>
> Stopping the database.
>
> Sat Dec 24 17:35:24 2005
> db2admin pid(28880) process (db2med.36020.0)
> oper_system_services  sqlofindn Probe:37
>
> 0000 007f                                     ....
>

> Sat Dec 24 17:35:25 2005
> db2admin pid(28880) process (db2med.36020.0)
> database_utilities    sqluMCInitRestoreMC Probe:360
>
> Media Controller -- sqluInitFileDevice() ! device initialization warning
>
> Sat Dec 24 17:35:25 2005
> db2admin pid(36020) process (db2agent (CARTOLAS))
> database_utilities    sqludrsa Probe:125 Database (CARTOLAS)
>
> DiagData
> ffff f612                                     ....
>

> Sat Dec 24 17:35:25 2005
> db2admin pid(36020) process (db2agent (CARTOLAS))
> database_utilities    sqludrsa Probe:0 Database (CARTOLAS)
>
> Restore terminated.
>
> Sat Dec 24 17:35:25 2005
> db2admin pid(36020) process (db2agent (CARTOLAS))
> buffer_pool_services  sqlbStopPools Probe:0 Database (CARTOLAS)
>
> Stopping the database.
>

> "Phil Sherman" <psherman@ameritech.net> escribi� en el mensaje
>
>>Also, What version of DB2 are you attempting to restore to?
>>
>>Phil Sherman
>>
>>Phil Sherman wrote:
>>
>>>Can you post the backup command that was used and the restore command
>>>that failed?
>>>
>>>Phil Sherman

0
Phil
12/26/2005 8:15:08 AM
Thanks Phil, i tried with both files on same directory, /mnt in this case
with identical results.
with dd, the copy from tape to disk does not alter the content (at least
with the parameters supplied).
Finally i've got a new tape drive and now the database is restoring. i'm
crossing my fingers and hoping a succesfull restore.
regards, Haroldo

> [...]
>> database_utilities    sqluMCInitRestoreMC Probe:360
>>
>> Media Controller -- sqluInitFileDevice() ! device initialization warning
>>
>> Sat Dec 24 17:35:25 2005
>> db2admin pid(36020) process (db2agent (CARTOLAS))
>> database_utilities    sqludrsa Probe:125 Database (CARTOLAS)
>>
>> DiagData
>> ffff f612                                     ....
>>

>> Sat Dec 24 17:35:25 2005
>> db2admin pid(36020) process (db2agent (CARTOLAS))
>> database_utilities    sqludrsa Probe:0 Database (CARTOLAS)
>>
>> Restore terminated.
>>
>> Sat Dec 24 17:35:25 2005
>> db2admin pid(36020) process (db2agent (CARTOLAS))
>> buffer_pool_services  sqlbStopPools Probe:0 Database (CARTOLAS)
>>
>> Stopping the database.
>>

>> "Phil Sherman" <psherman@ameritech.net> escribi� en el mensaje
>>
>>>Also, What version of DB2 are you attempting to restore to?

0
HSP