Ports for DB2 behind firewall / ssh port forward

hi newsgroup,

I'd like to connect to a remote DB2 Database V 8.2 using the "DB2
Steuerzentrale" (I guess it's called something like "DB2 management console"
in the English version). Since the database host is behind a firewall I
tried to communicate through ssh port forwarding.

Therefore, I run:
ssh -L 6789:remotename:6789 -L 50000:remotename:50000 -L
50001:remotename:50001 -L 523:remotename:523 remotename

Though the ssh connection is established, my "DB2 Steuerzentrale" won't
connect to localhost successfully and shows an error number SQL4404N.

Am I missing some ports? Thanks in advance.

Best,
Ina

0
Ina

Hi Ina,

Ina Schmitz schrieb:

> I'd like to connect to a remote DB2 Database V 8.2 using the "DB2
> Steuerzentrale" (I guess it's called something like "DB2 management console"

DB2 Control Center. ;-)

> Therefore, I run:
> ssh -L 6789:remotename:6789 -L 50000:remotename:50000 -L
> 50001:remotename:50001 -L 523:remotename:523 remotename

I have not tried it yet but at least the syntax looks good. ;-)

> Though the ssh connection is established, my "DB2 Steuerzentrale" won't
> connect to localhost successfully and shows an error number SQL4404N.
>
> Am I missing some ports? Thanks in advance.

I don't think it is a matter of ports, but I believe, db2cc needs a
local instance (s.a. db2icrt).

Maybee you could try a workarround. Have you ever tried vnc?
vncserver is available for both unix and windoze systems and would allow
to run the control center on the remote instead of your local machine.

There are standalone-clients and it offers a java-applet as well.

Not the fastest approach but you would only need to forward one port.
You would need to look at the vnc-documentation to find out which one.

There are some free implementations of vnc out there:

http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=VNC&section=projects&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

I would try

http://www.tightvnc.com

as the project claims to be optimized for low bandwith

Best regards,

Norbert

0
Norbert