restore database to another server failed

Hi Everyone

NEW USER Q.
I am trying to restore a database backup image to another machine.
Both machines are installed with same DB2 7.2 installation package.

Version: 7, Release: 2, Modification: 5, Service Level: WR21294
Querying the system...
Windows 2000 Version

After restoring and rollforwarding to point in time which are both
successfully, I have this error message when tring to connect
database:

SQL1091C  The release number of the database is not valid.
SQLSTATE=08004

My process for restore is this:
1. Copy over backup image and all transaction logs to another machine

on this second machine
2. restore:
db2 RESTORE DATABASE KOUKIA USER db2admin USiNG password FROM
d:\\\\db2bkup TAKEN AT 20040920225100 NEWLOGPATH d:\db2bkup\SQLOGDIR
WITH 2 BUFFERS BUFFER 1024 WITHOUT PROMPTING

3.rollforward:
db2 ROLLFORWARD DATABASE KOUKIA USER db2admin USiNG password TO
2004-09-20-23.00.00

4. Stop rollforward pending status
db2 ROLLFORWARD DATABASE KOUKIA USER db2admin USiNG password complete

On the first machine, I set up online backup.

HELP !

Regards

Andy J
0
ajiang
9/21/2004 4:42:16 AM
comp.databases.ibm-db2 12448 articles. 2 followers. arunrocks (9) is leader. Post Follow

Did you check that BOTH systems are at the same service level?

Phil Sherman

Andy J wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> NEW USER Q.
> I am trying to restore a database backup image to another machine.
> Both machines are installed with same DB2 7.2 installation package.
>
> Version: 7, Release: 2, Modification: 5, Service Level: WR21294
> Querying the system...
> Windows 2000 Version
>
> After restoring and rollforwarding to point in time which are both
> successfully, I have this error message when tring to connect
> database:
>
> SQL1091C  The release number of the database is not valid.
> SQLSTATE=08004
>

> My process for restore is this:
> 1. Copy over backup image and all transaction logs to another machine
>
> on this second machine
> 2. restore:
> db2 RESTORE DATABASE KOUKIA USER db2admin USiNG password FROM
> d:\\\\db2bkup TAKEN AT 20040920225100 NEWLOGPATH d:\db2bkup\SQLOGDIR
> WITH 2 BUFFERS BUFFER 1024 WITHOUT PROMPTING
>
> 3.rollforward:
> db2 ROLLFORWARD DATABASE KOUKIA USER db2admin USiNG password TO
> 2004-09-20-23.00.00
>
> 4. Stop rollforward pending status
> db2 ROLLFORWARD DATABASE KOUKIA USER db2admin USiNG password complete
>

> On the first machine, I set up online backup.
>
> HELP !
>
> Regards
>
> Andy J

0
Philip
9/21/2004 1:46:41 PM
HI Phlilip

From db2.log , both servers are at Service Level: WR21294 as show below.

Philip Sherman <psherman@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<5hW3d.22188$ZC7.13558@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>...
> Did you check that BOTH systems are at the same service level?
>
> Phil Sherman
>

> Andy J wrote:
> > Hi Everyone
> >
> > NEW USER Q.
> > I am trying to restore a database backup image to another machine.
> > Both machines are installed with same DB2 7.2 installation package.
> >
> > Version: 7, Release: 2, Modification: 5, Service Level: WR21294
> > Querying the system...
> > Windows 2000 Version
> >
> > After restoring and rollforwarding to point in time which are both
> > successfully, I have this error message when tring to connect
> > database:
> >
> > SQL1091C  The release number of the database is not valid.
> > SQLSTATE=08004
> >

> > My process for restore is this:
> > 1. Copy over backup image and all transaction logs to another machine
> >
> > on this second machine
> > 2. restore:
> > db2 RESTORE DATABASE KOUKIA USER db2admin USiNG password FROM
> > d:\\\\db2bkup TAKEN AT 20040920225100 NEWLOGPATH d:\db2bkup\SQLOGDIR
> > WITH 2 BUFFERS BUFFER 1024 WITHOUT PROMPTING
> >
> > 3.rollforward:
> > db2 ROLLFORWARD DATABASE KOUKIA USER db2admin USiNG password TO
> > 2004-09-20-23.00.00
> >
> > 4. Stop rollforward pending status
> > db2 ROLLFORWARD DATABASE KOUKIA USER db2admin USiNG password complete
> >

> > On the first machine, I set up online backup.
> >
> > HELP !
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Andy J
0
ajiang
9/21/2004 8:23:00 PM
Hi Philip

After I upgrade my second machine to Version: 7, Release: 2,
Modification: 12, Service Level: WR21337
Querying the system...
Windows 2000 Version

Everything is fine.

So I think there may be a bug in  Version: 7, Release: 2,
Modification: 5, Service Level: WR21294
Windows 2000 Version

Regards

Andy

Philip Sherman <psherman@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<5hW3d.22188$ZC7.13558@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>...
> Did you check that BOTH systems are at the same service level?
>
> Phil Sherman
>

> Andy J wrote:
> > Hi Everyone
> >
> > NEW USER Q.
> > I am trying to restore a database backup image to another machine.
> > Both machines are installed with same DB2 7.2 installation package.
> >
> > Version: 7, Release: 2, Modification: 5, Service Level: WR21294
> > Querying the system...
> > Windows 2000 Version
> >
> > After restoring and rollforwarding to point in time which are both
> > successfully, I have this error message when tring to connect
> > database:
> >
> > SQL1091C  The release number of the database is not valid.
> > SQLSTATE=08004
> >

> > My process for restore is this:
> > 1. Copy over backup image and all transaction logs to another machine
> >
> > on this second machine
> > 2. restore:
> > db2 RESTORE DATABASE KOUKIA USER db2admin USiNG password FROM
> > d:\\\\db2bkup TAKEN AT 20040920225100 NEWLOGPATH d:\db2bkup\SQLOGDIR
> > WITH 2 BUFFERS BUFFER 1024 WITHOUT PROMPTING
> >
> > 3.rollforward:
> > db2 ROLLFORWARD DATABASE KOUKIA USER db2admin USiNG password TO
> > 2004-09-20-23.00.00
> >
> > 4. Stop rollforward pending status
> > db2 ROLLFORWARD DATABASE KOUKIA USER db2admin USiNG password complete
> >

> > On the first machine, I set up online backup.
> >
> > HELP !
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Andy J
0
ajiang
9/21/2004 8:51:25 PM
Verify that db2iupdt was run against both instances before trying the
backup. I've seen a number of updates where that step wasn't performed
against all instances. If you are running the administration server;
verify that its update was also run.

The explanation for this error also indicates that the service level is
also stored in the database catalog which would be moved with the
backup. Check the readme file for the last fixpack installed and verify
that all of the installation steps have been performed.

You made no mention of using a redirected restore so I assume that your
two systems use identical disk layouts. Use of online backup also means
that you should be moving the appropriate log files to the new system.
Since rollforward appeared to work; I assume you did this.

Check the db2diag.log file to see if there is additional information
available about the error. You should find it in ...\sqllib\db2dump.

If you still can't figure anything out; try the following:
1. Create a new database.
2. Take an offline backup of the new database and restore it to your
other system.
3. Try to access the restored database's catalog tables.
You can do this using both systems as the starting point. Seeing what
works and doesn't work will help you isolate where the problem lies.

Phil Sherman

Andy J wrote:
> HI Phlilip
>
> From db2.log , both servers are at Service Level: WR21294 as show below.
> Version: 7, Release: 2, Modification: 5, Service Level: WR21294
> Querying the system...
> Windows 2000 Version
>

> Regards
>

> Andy
>

> Philip Sherman <psherman@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<5hW3d.22188$ZC7.13558@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>...
>
>>Did you check that BOTH systems are at the same service level?
>>
>>Phil Sherman

0
Philip