Script for monitoring Deadlock, lock-wait and Locktimeout

Hi , We have got a task to write a proper script to alert DBA, if any deadl=
ock or lock-timeout occurs. and regarding Lock-wait, we need to alert only =
when there are more than 25 parallel applications (i.e Application handle a=
ccording to DB2 Perspective )  are in lock-wait.=20

I am working on DB2 - AIX. I am writing this script with approach of gettin=
g snapshot on database and get the lock timeout, deadlock and lock-wait val=
ue and keep those value in some table and when next time the script run and=
 takes snapshot and if this time if any increment we find in any of these t=
hree item, we can send a mail to DBA.

like to know if this standard approach ? if there is something actually bet=
ter way also if we can get some detail ( which application or which query w=
as there during deadlock) and send the same in alert mail?

Your reply is really needed. Thanks in advance.=20

Regards
Shashi=20

=20

0
Shashi

Hello Shashi,

We use an SQL statement like this:

  SELECT  count(*)
  FROM    sysibmadm.lockwaits
  WHERE   lock_wait_start_time < (CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - ? MINUTES)
    AND db_name=?
    AND appl_name<>'DB2HMON'

If it returns a value > 0, then we get an alert from the monitoring
system.

(Of course, we substitute the ? placeholders with relevant values for the
particular database.)

We also have a web-page where all current sessions may be seen including
session state and blocking/blocked other sessions. That way, the users
may themselves check the current state of affairs and contact each other,
if someone is blocking things. That page is written in Python (WSGI); I
can provide it somewhere, if someone's interested.

--
Troels
0
> Hi , We have got a task to write a proper script to alert DBA, if any dea=
dlock or lock-timeout occurs. and regarding Lock-wait, we need to alert onl=
y when there are more than 25 parallel applications (i.e Application handle=
 according to DB2 Perspective )  are in lock-wait.=20
>=20
> I am working on DB2 - AIX. I am writing this script with approach of gett=
ing snapshot on database and get the lock timeout, deadlock and lock-wait v=
alue and keep those value in some table and when next time the script run a=
nd takes snapshot and if this time if any increment we find in any of these=
 three item, we can send a mail to DBA.
>=20
> like to know if this standard approach ? if there is something actually b=
etter way also if we can get some detail ( which application or which query=
 was there during deadlock) and send the same in alert mail?
>=20
> Your reply is really needed. Thanks in advance.=20
>=20
> Regards
> Shashi

We use db2top -d mydatabase -a to monitor activity in the database. The opt=
ion U shows you in real time all about current locks. Have you considered t=
rying it? You don't need to install anything. It comes along with DB2.
0
jbaron
3/2/2016 7:08:06 AM
On Wednesday, 2 March 2016 12:38:11 UTC+5:30, jba...@calculo-sa.es  wrote:
> El lunes, 29 de febrero de 2016, 20:00:12 (UTC+1), Shashi Shekhar  escrib=
i=F3:
> > Hi , We have got a task to write a proper script to alert DBA, if any d=
eadlock or lock-timeout occurs. and regarding Lock-wait, we need to alert o=
nly when there are more than 25 parallel applications (i.e Application hand=
le according to DB2 Perspective )  are in lock-wait.=20
> >=20
> > I am working on DB2 - AIX. I am writing this script with approach of ge=
tting snapshot on database and get the lock timeout, deadlock and lock-wait=
 value and keep those value in some table and when next time the script run=
 and takes snapshot and if this time if any increment we find in any of the=
se three item, we can send a mail to DBA.
> >=20
> > like to know if this standard approach ? if there is something actually=
 better way also if we can get some detail ( which application or which que=
ry was there during deadlock) and send the same in alert mail?
> >=20
> > Your reply is really needed. Thanks in advance.=20
> >=20
> > Regards
> > Shashi
>=20
> We use db2top -d mydatabase -a to monitor activity in the database. The o=
ption U shows you in real time all about current locks. Have you considered=
 trying it? You don't need to install anything. It comes along with DB2.

Thanks for reply, Actually I need an approach that I can use in shell scrip=
t to alert in falling in critical scenario ( say 25 lock-wait in parallel) =
..=20
0
Shashi
3/2/2016 4:43:41 PM
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 9:43:44 AM UTC-7, Shashi Shekhar wrote:

> Thanks for reply, Actually I need an approach that I can use in shell script to alert in falling in critical scenario ( say 25 lock-wait in parallel) .

Are you asking for someone to do your job for you?  Troels gave you a very good suggestion as a starting point;  please try this out and work to adapt it for your requirements.

0
Ian
3/2/2016 5:26:34 PM
On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 12:51:52 AM UTC+5:30, Troels Arvin wrote:
> Hello Shashi,
>
> We use an SQL statement like this:
>
>   SELECT  count(*)
>   FROM    sysibmadm.lockwaits
>   WHERE   lock_wait_start_time < (CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - ? MINUTES)
>     AND db_name=?
>     AND appl_name<>'DB2HMON'
>
> If it returns a value > 0, then we get an alert from the monitoring
> system.
>
> (Of course, we substitute the ? placeholders with relevant values for the
> particular database.)
>
> We also have a web-page where all current sessions may be seen including
> session state and blocking/blocked other sessions. That way, the users
> may themselves check the current state of affairs and contact each other,
> if someone is blocking things. That page is written in Python (WSGI); I
> can provide it somewhere, if someone's interested.
>
> --
> Troels

Thanks Troels. It's a good option for what my requirement is. For this, the script should run quite frequently, so that, it tries to capture most of the locakwait. But my team Leader was not ready to run very frequently.
Then we planned to use sysibmadm.snapdb from where we hold, total count and then compare with new total count. By the way , through this way, my expected requirement is not meeting but we thought to run this script for every 5 mins.

Thanks again.
Shashi

0
Shashi

Convert SAP Oracle Database to IBM DB2 Database??
Hello, I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle database to IBM DB2 database? Did you realize greater disk saving via DB2 compression? Did you run the latest version of DB2 rather than allow SAP to keep your Oracle version back-leveled? Please, DB2 Bashers need not apply, looking for the business case anyone used to convert to DB2. Thank you. Charles On 6 Feb, 01:52, "Charles Davis" <cdavis10...@comcast.net> wrote: > Hello, > > I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle > database to IBM DB2 d...

Any good monitor script for LOCKED object V$LOCK
Hi All, Do anyone or any good site has: I need to find a better lock monitoring scripts to get segment info, etc. Thanks, DOM Dom, and what does your current script look like? What version of Oracle? Try looking at V$LOCKED_OBJECT. You can directly join this to v$session, v$process, v$transaction and from these to any of the v$sql views to get all kinds of information. But you were very unspecific in what kind of information you wanted to see. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Hi Mark, I am on oracle 8.1.7.4. Hopefully move to oracle 10g in Sept. Basically, my work is very interes...

Connect to IBM DB2 database without installing the DB2 client.
Hi, To connect to the DB2 Driver, from a remote machine. Do we requier DB2 client. Can't we connect by just having IBM DB2 driver which is just a single file (db2cli.dll). I am using vb application from Windows platform to connect to DB2 on Linux machine. Regards, Santosh SB wrote: > Hi, > > To connect to the DB2 Driver, from a remote machine. Do we requier DB2 > client. > Can't we connect by just having IBM DB2 driver which is just a single > file (db2cli.dll). > I am using vb application from Windows platform to connect to DB2 on >...

java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver when connecting to a DB2 database using driver COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource
Hi, I want to get connection to a DB2 database using the driver COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource. I have also included 'db2java.zip' in the classpath. However I am getting the exception java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source) at Conn.main(Conn.java:44) The code that I am using (with try/catch removed) is as follows: String url = "jdbc:db2:sample"; String driver = "COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource"; String dbuser = "db2u...

oct 24 DB2 for LUW Tech Talk: What's Hot from IOD for PureData Systems, IBM Mobile Database and DB2 for LUW
Now we can tell you more! IBM announced PureData Systems on October 9th --= a series of expert integrated solutions for your transactional and analyti= c workloads.=20 In the next DB2 Tech Talk, we'll come to you from Las Vegas with hot news f= rom the conference from a DB2 for LUW, PureData Systems perspective! We'll= also cover a new free software download called IBM Mobile Database, which = helps you enable your DB2 data apps for Android mobile users. And then we = will bring you the best of the presentations from the conference, including= an IBM Champion and other ...

DB2 LUW database monitoring
HI, I am hoping to get your opinions about "Tivoli Monitoring for Databases". Our enterprise environment is AIX/Red Hat Linux, running a lot of IBM P series and E servers. We need to monitor LUW UDB performance and some MS SQLSERVER performance going forward. We are considering Tivoli monitoring because it offers a suite of products pluggable as our company expands. There are: Tivoli monitors for network (the new Netview) product, monitor for cluster, monitor for web...in addition to monitor for databases. Tivoli can give you a total performance perspective. But I am won...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Pe...

[...]

How to execute a script from another script and other script does not do busy wait.
I want to run a python script( aka script2) from another python script (aka script1). While script1 executes script2 it waits for script2 to complete and in doing so it also does some other useful work.(does not do a busy wait). My intention is to update a third party through script1 that script2 is going to take longer. Please suggest how should I go about implementing it. I'm currently executing it as: import main from script2 ret_code = main() return ret_code which surely is not going to achieve me what I intend. Thanks, Rajat. =20 Use threads Regards, ...

IBM Sets DB2 Database Free
http://www.linuxtoday.com/it_management/2006013101526NWSV Will UniVerse and UniData follow? Henrry Keultjes hbkeultjesat earthlinkdotnet csigline@hotmail.com wrote: > http://www.linuxtoday.com/it_management/2006013101526NWSV > > Will UniVerse and UniData follow? Good catch, Henry (or is it two r's now-see below). We will have to ask IBM what their intentions are with U2 in light of this, but I suspect that the PE editions will be the extent of the free offering. We shall see. Cheers! --dawn > Henrry Keultjes > hbkeultjesat > earthlinkdotnet Hard to compete when others such as MS SQL and Oracle are offering free versions too. mpizl@yahoo.com wrote: > Hard to compete when others such as MS SQL and Oracle are offering free > versions too. The only one my primary ISP will provide for me is MySQL. I suspect that is true of other ISPs as well. I feel the barometer falling in the database industry. cheers! --dawn do you think we can at least get some stuff for free like pdp.net? What is RD going to do to survive? Cant see too many new people wanting to learn or buy pick. dawn wrote: > mpizl@yahoo.com wrote: > >>Hard to compete when others such as MS SQL and Oracle are offering free >>versions too. > > > The only one my primary ISP will provide for me is MySQL. I suspect > that is true of other ISPs as well. I feel the barometer falling in > the datab...

Question on db2 lock monitor switch
When no application are connected the lock monitor switch is off but as soon as I connect to the sample application it is turned on by default. Why ? Is it the correct behaviour ? See below transcript. db2inst1@maxi-desktop:~$ db2 get database manager monitor switches DBM System Monitor Information Collected Switch list for db partition number 0 Buffer Pool Activity Information (BUFFERPOOL) = OFF Lock Information (LOCK) = OFF Sorting Information (SORT) = OFF SQL Statement Information (STATEMENT) = OFF Table Activity ...

how to get db2 lock waits details
Hi all, with db2 snapshot I know the lock waits number but I can not see the tables with locks an I can not see queries that produces locks. How can I know those details? Thanks Marco Strullato On 19 Ago, 11:32, Marco <marco.strull...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > with db2 snapshot I know the lock waits number but I can not see the > tables with locks an I can not see queries that produces locks. > > How can I know those details? > > Thanks > > Marco Strullato I'm not an expert. But i get locks details with this sql-query: selec...

Using .NET to access to a IBM DB2 database
Hello I'm trying to connect to a IBM DB2 database with IBMDA400 Provider. I cannot choose the provider, this is the only one I can use. The tables in AS/400 don't have journal and I cannot change this. When I define an ODBC and link tables in ACCESS I can perform every actions. I change the ODBC options to commit data immediately. Using the same ODBC and the same insert statement, when I connect in my C# application using ODBCConnection, I get this error: ERROR [42S22] [IBM][Controlador ODBC do iSeries Access][DB2 UDB]SQL0206 - Column N not in specified tables. Wh...

IBM DB2 Database Specialist
We are looking to fill the following permanent position with one of our reputed clients in Saudi Arabia (WESTERNERS ARE PREFFERED). Apply to: APPLICATION@GOAHEADCONSULTING.CO.UK Job Title IBM DB2 Database Specialist Location: Saudi Arabia Objective Responsible for the administration of DB2 subsystems and associated software on the client=92s mainframes Accountable to Data Centre Manager Responsibilities This SENIOR position involves the full spectrum of DB2 system programming activities, including product installation, customization, deployment, software tools integration, ex...

Re: IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit,
vvcd said: > IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 > bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite > Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express > Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM > Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other > IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 > CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM > Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for Web...

DBI:ibm_db connection for IBM DB2 database
Hello, I am attempting to make a DBI connection from Ruby code running on Win32 (XP) machine to an IBM DB2 v9.5 database running under Linux On the Win32 machine, I have Ruby 1.8.6 (installed with the one-click installer) and have successfully launched the following gem installation commands for the IBM DB drivers and required libraries: >gem install activesupport -v 1.4.2 >gem install activerecord -v 1.15.3 >gem install ibm_db -v 0.8.5 I have also (as required by the IBM documentation at http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/2361/967/IBM_DB-0.6.0.pdf) added ‘ibm_db’ to the list of...

IBM Single System View Monitor for DB2
Hi folks, For those of you with a DPF environment: http://alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/db2top Enjoy Serge PS: Feedback will be greatly appreciated -- Serge Rielau DB2 SQL Compiler Development IBM Toronto Lab "Serge Rielau" <srielau@ca.ibm.com> wrote in message news:3qcs6aFe8bkaU1@individual.net... > Hi folks, > > For those of you with a DPF environment: > http://alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/db2top > > Enjoy > Serge > > PS: Feedback will be greatly appreciated > -- > Serge Rielau > DB2 SQL Compiler Development > IBM ...

Sql Scripts to Monitor another SQL Database.
Greetings All, I was hoping that some of you might be aware of any free scripts that were written explicitly for the purpose of monitoring a SQL Server database. I want to be able to determine up/down events, Error Log updates, Long running Transactions, Deadlocks, etc. My plan is to use a central SQL Server database as a repository that will query (via t-sql) the target SQL Server boxes for the events listed above. If one of the events falls outside of a defined range I will use xp_sendmail to alert me via my pager. I have been looking at third party tools like BMC Patrol, Quest Foglight,...

Web resources about - Script for monitoring Deadlock, lock-wait and Locktimeout - comp.databases.ibm-db2

Data Confidence over the Web
by Peter Hammond Summary: The successful exchange of datais the most integral function of applications today, and yesterday, for thatmatter. ...

Linux-Kernel Archive: Linux 2.6.6-rc3
s390, cifs, ntfs, ppc, ppc64, cpufreq upates. Oh, and DVB and USB. I'm hoping to do a final 2.6.6 later this week, so I'm hoping as many people ...