To hyperthread or not

Hello,

With such a server:
Two Intel Xeon E5-2643 v3, each having six cores.
�TB RAM
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2
DB2 v. 9.7 (latest fixpack level)

And with a datawarehouse workload with many long-running loads, inserts,
selects, including heavy joins.

Would you turn hyperthreading on or off in the server?

--
Troels Arvin
0

I've played with this a few years ago and found out that it is better having it off.
0
UTF
2/12/2016 9:00:47 AM
Your tests were presumably not v10.5 if more than a couple of years ago?

Intel claim improved performance from their hyper-threading and DB2 BLU columnar technology, if that's relevant to this particular data warehouse.

See: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/solution-briefs/xeon-e5-v3-ibm-db2-blu-solution-brief.pdf

Jeremy
0
Jeremy
2/13/2016 1:05:36 AM
On 2/11/2016 12:41 PM, Troels Arvin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> With such a server:
> Two Intel Xeon E5-2643 v3, each having six cores.
> �TB RAM
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2
> DB2 v. 9.7 (latest fixpack level)
>
> And with a datawarehouse workload with many long-running loads, inserts,
> selects, including heavy joins.
>
> Would you turn hyperthreading on or off in the server?

Impossible to tell from your short comments.  There are way too many
variables involved, not the least is what else is running on the
machine.  I've seen it help and I've seen it hurt.

Like any other tuning parameter - I would suggest you turn it on and see
if it helps.  Also, try tuning the other DB2 parameters, both with
hyperthreading on and off, until you find the best performance for your
situation.  Every one is unique.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address