To hyperthread or not

Hello,

With such a server:
Two Intel Xeon E5-2643 v3, each having six cores.
�TB RAM
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2
DB2 v. 9.7 (latest fixpack level)

And with a datawarehouse workload with many long-running loads, inserts,
selects, including heavy joins.

Would you turn hyperthreading on or off in the server?

--
Troels Arvin
0

I've played with this a few years ago and found out that it is better having it off.
0
UTF
2/12/2016 9:00:47 AM
Your tests were presumably not v10.5 if more than a couple of years ago?

Intel claim improved performance from their hyper-threading and DB2 BLU columnar technology, if that's relevant to this particular data warehouse.

See: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/solution-briefs/xeon-e5-v3-ibm-db2-blu-solution-brief.pdf

Jeremy
0
Jeremy
2/13/2016 1:05:36 AM
On 2/11/2016 12:41 PM, Troels Arvin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> With such a server:
> Two Intel Xeon E5-2643 v3, each having six cores.
> �TB RAM
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2
> DB2 v. 9.7 (latest fixpack level)
>
> And with a datawarehouse workload with many long-running loads, inserts,
> selects, including heavy joins.
>
> Would you turn hyperthreading on or off in the server?

Impossible to tell from your short comments.  There are way too many
variables involved, not the least is what else is running on the
machine.  I've seen it help and I've seen it hurt.

Like any other tuning parameter - I would suggest you turn it on and see
if it helps.  Also, try tuning the other DB2 parameters, both with
hyperthreading on and off, until you find the best performance for your
situation.  Every one is unique.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Convert SAP Oracle Database to IBM DB2 Database??
Hello, I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle database to IBM DB2 database? Did you realize greater disk saving via DB2 compression? Did you run the latest version of DB2 rather than allow SAP to keep your Oracle version back-leveled? Please, DB2 Bashers need not apply, looking for the business case anyone used to convert to DB2. Thank you. Charles On 6 Feb, 01:52, "Charles Davis" <cdavis10...@comcast.net> wrote: > Hello, > > I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle > database to IBM DB2 d...

Connect to IBM DB2 database without installing the DB2 client.
Hi, To connect to the DB2 Driver, from a remote machine. Do we requier DB2 client. Can't we connect by just having IBM DB2 driver which is just a single file (db2cli.dll). I am using vb application from Windows platform to connect to DB2 on Linux machine. Regards, Santosh SB wrote: > Hi, > > To connect to the DB2 Driver, from a remote machine. Do we requier DB2 > client. > Can't we connect by just having IBM DB2 driver which is just a single > file (db2cli.dll). > I am using vb application from Windows platform to connect to DB2 on >...

java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver when connecting to a DB2 database using driver COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource
Hi, I want to get connection to a DB2 database using the driver COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource. I have also included 'db2java.zip' in the classpath. However I am getting the exception java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source) at Conn.main(Conn.java:44) The code that I am using (with try/catch removed) is as follows: String url = "jdbc:db2:sample"; String driver = "COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource"; String dbuser = "db2u...

oct 24 DB2 for LUW Tech Talk: What's Hot from IOD for PureData Systems, IBM Mobile Database and DB2 for LUW
Now we can tell you more! IBM announced PureData Systems on October 9th --= a series of expert integrated solutions for your transactional and analyti= c workloads.=20 In the next DB2 Tech Talk, we'll come to you from Las Vegas with hot news f= rom the conference from a DB2 for LUW, PureData Systems perspective! We'll= also cover a new free software download called IBM Mobile Database, which = helps you enable your DB2 data apps for Android mobile users. And then we = will bring you the best of the presentations from the conference, including= an IBM Champion and other ...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Pe...

[...]

IBM Sets DB2 Database Free
http://www.linuxtoday.com/it_management/2006013101526NWSV Will UniVerse and UniData follow? Henrry Keultjes hbkeultjesat earthlinkdotnet csigline@hotmail.com wrote: > http://www.linuxtoday.com/it_management/2006013101526NWSV > > Will UniVerse and UniData follow? Good catch, Henry (or is it two r's now-see below). We will have to ask IBM what their intentions are with U2 in light of this, but I suspect that the PE editions will be the extent of the free offering. We shall see. Cheers! --dawn > Henrry Keultjes > hbkeultjesat > earthlinkdotnet ...

Re: IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit,
vvcd said: > IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 > bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite > Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express > Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM > Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other > IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 > CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM > Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for Web...

Using .NET to access to a IBM DB2 database
Hello I'm trying to connect to a IBM DB2 database with IBMDA400 Provider. I cannot choose the provider, this is the only one I can use. The tables in AS/400 don't have journal and I cannot change this. When I define an ODBC and link tables in ACCESS I can perform every actions. I change the ODBC options to commit data immediately. Using the same ODBC and the same insert statement, when I connect in my C# application using ODBCConnection, I get this error: ERROR [42S22] [IBM][Controlador ODBC do iSeries Access][DB2 UDB]SQL0206 - Column N not in specified tables. Wh...

Web resources about - To hyperthread or not - comp.databases.ibm-db2

Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here O S @ trendyPCgeek 13h @IanCutress ...

AnandTech - Log in
Welcome Log out Login Register ABOUT ADVERTISING BENCH FORUMS GALLERIES PODCAST ABOUT ADVERTISING BENCH FORUMS PODCAST LOGIN REGISTER PC Components ...

VirtualBox 4.0.6.71416
VirtualBox最早是德国一家软件公司InnoTek所开发的虚拟系统软件,后来被Sun收购,改名为Sun VirtualBox,在Sun被Oracle收购后现改名为Oracle VirtualBox.因为他是开源的,不同于VM,而且功能强大,可以在 Linux/Mac 和 ...

Apple amps processor, graphics in new MacBook Pro
Apple today refreshed its MacBook Pro notebook line, adding faster dual-core CPUs, more powerful graphics processors and longer-life batteries. ...

Why Intel added cache partitioning in Broadwell
Typical server utilization is between 10% and 50%. Google has demonstrated 90% utilization without impacting latency SLAs. Xkcd estimated that ...

New AWS Instances Chew Through Very Large Data Sets
The new family of cloud instances is powerful enough to handle Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) data warehouse, log processing, and MapReduce ...

Facepunch
Facepunch Studios Forums

Facebook Email Announcement: By the Numbers
A brief rundown of some fast facts from this morning's announcement.

Intel Graciously Unlocks the Processing Power Your PC Already Has for $50 Fee
Those $50 Intel "Upgrade" Cards from Best Buy unlock latent processing power your computer already has kicking around inside its silicon guts. ...

Stuff The Internet Says On Scalability For July 27, 2012
... said they would take a look at the results. +1 for competition and benchmarks. Something to keep in mind is for Google a core means : a hyperthread ...