[Fwd: Re: Database Server Hangs / Perl DBD Informix Module]

--------------000806050204000100000404

I sent this to Francisco from the office, and I don't have direct
posting access to news groups while I'm in the office.  He agreed that
the example code using rows worked and answered his questions.

"Francisco Roldan" <f_roldan@admcentralagricola.com.gt> wrote:
 >> I found a solution,
 >> It worked well with tcp connections,
 >> Looks like perl's Informix DBD Module doesn't like shared memory
 >> connections,at least with my versions.
 >> But I can live with tcp connections.
 >>
 >> Thanks anyway.
 >> I have other question ,
 >> Does anybody knows how to actually get the number of
 >> rows returned/affected in a query with perl ?
 >>
 >> I tried with :
 >>
 >> $nrows=$sth->rows();
 >>
 >> always returned 0.

Messages passing in the night...

It's a bit worrying that shared memory connections aren't working, but
I can imagine all sorts of configuration reasons why they weren't
working, as well as bug possibilities.

Works for me:

#!/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use DBI;
my $dbh = DBI->connect('dbi:Informix:stores','','',{RaiseError=>1});
my $sth = $dbh->prepare(q{SELECT tabid, tabname, tabtype FROM systables
WHERE tabid >= 100});
$sth->execute;
while (my $hr = $sth->fetchrow_hashref)
{
         foreach my $key (sort keys %$hr)
         {
         print "$key => ${$hr}{$key}\n";
         }
}
printf("Records = %d\n", $st1->rows());
$dbh->disconnect;

If the cursor has not yet fetched all the records, you can't
necessarily get the answer - read the DBI documentation for the
disclaimer that this is so. Embed the printf() in the loop and see
what you get - I got an incrementing counter when I tried it (somewhat
to my surprise).

--
Jonathan Leffler (jleffler@us.ibm.com)
STSM, Informix Database Engineering, IBM Data Management

PS: "Messages passing in the night" is an allusion to "Ships passing
in the night", which happened in the days of old with neither ship
being aware that the other was there.

--
Jonathan Leffler (jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@us.ibm.com)
#include <disclaimer.h>

--------------000806050204000100000404
 filename="Re: Database Server Hangs / Perl DBD Informix Module"

To: "Francisco Roldan" <f_roldan@admcentralagricola.com.gt>
Cc: informix-list@iiug.org, "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Database Server Hangs / Perl DBD Informix Module
From: Jonathan Leffler <jleffler@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 14:19:36 -0700

[...]

"Francisco Roldan" <f_roldan@admcentralagricola.com.gt> wrote on
05/12/2004 01:58:31 PM:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=perl+informix+hang&hl=es&lr=&selm=ao3cqu%2

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=perl+informix+hang&hl=es&lr=&selm=39A51785
> > .49E2A9D7%40bloomberg.net&rnum=3

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=es&lr=&threadm=39A51785.49E2A9D7%40bloomb

erg.net&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dperl%2Binformix%2Bhang%26hl%3Des%26lr%3D%2
> > 6selm%3D39A51785.49E2A9D7%2540bloomberg.net%26rnum%3D3
> >
> > What could be the problem ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your help.

0
Jonathan

Re: Database Server Hangs / Perl DBD Informix Module
I found a solution, It worked well with tcp connections, Looks like perl's Informix DBD Module doesn't like shared memory connections,at least with my versions. But I can live with tcp connections. Thanks anyway. I have other question , Does anybody knows how to actually get the number of rows returned/affected in a query with perl ? I tried with : $nrows=$sth->rows(); always returned 0. $nrows = $sth->{ix_sqlerrd}[2] always returned 0 too. Any ideas ? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Francisco Roldan" <f_roldan@admcentralagricola.com.gt> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Cc: "Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler@earthlink.net>; <jleffler@us.ibm.com> Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 9:12 AM Subject: Database Server Hangs / Perl DBD Informix Module > Hi everybody, > I have > Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.30.UC11 > on Red Hat Linux 9 > perl v5.8.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi > DBI 1.42 > DBD Informix 2003.04 > > After installing perl's DBI and DBD Modules for Informix I > finally get a script to connect and disconnect to the database . > But after running the script several times (that only connects and > disconnects to the database ) , the server hangs and it does not let to > connect to any database > with the message : 25588: The appl process cannot connect to the database > server > Restarting the server f...

Database Server Hangs / Perl DBD Informix Module
Hi everybody, I have Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.30.UC11 on Red Hat Linux 9 perl v5.8.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi DBI 1.42 DBD Informix 2003.04 After installing perl's DBI and DBD Modules for Informix I finally get a script to connect and disconnect to the database . But after running the script several times (that only connects and disconnects to the database ) , the server hangs and it does not let to connect to any database with the message : 25588: The appl process cannot connect to the database server Restarting the server fix the problem but I can not afford that solution. There are no strange messages on online.log : Tue May 11 21:22:57 2004 21:22:57 Event alarms enabled. ALARMPROG = '/opt/informix/etc/log_full.sh' 21:23:01 DR: DRAUTO is 0 (Off) 21:23:01 Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.30.UC11 21:23:02 Informix Dynamic Server Initialized -- Shared Memory Initialized. 21:23:02 Physical Recovery Started. 21:23:02 Physical Recovery Complete: 0 Pages Restored. 21:23:02 Logical Recovery Started. 21:23:05 Logical Recovery Complete. 0 Committed, 0 Rolled Back, 0 Open, 0 Bad Locks 21:23:05 Dataskip is now OFF for all dbspaces 21:23:05 On-Line Mode 21:23:05 Checkpoint Completed: duration was 0 seconds. There are no opened sessions : onstat -g ses (this is a development server) Informix Dynamic Server Version 7.30.UC11 -- On-Line -- Up 11:31:38 -- 8888 Kbytes session ...

ANNOUNCE: DBD::Informix
IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl DBI Version 2005.01 (2005-03-14) has been uploaded to CPAN. IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl (also known as DBD::Informix) is the driver code that enables Perl 5.6.1 or later to access Informix databases via the DBI module (but if you are not already using Perl 5.8.5, you should be planning to upgrade to it). You will need the code for DBI version 1.38 or later as well (v1.48 recommended). The code for DBD::Informix is available for download via: http://www.perl.org/CPAN/modules/by-category/07_Database_Interfaces http://dbi.perl.org/ ** When you...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Error executing remote system command on an AIX Informix database from an NT Informix Server
Dear All, I realise there are many queries and answers already posted on a similar topic, but none seem to be able to get this working. I have two informix servers, one on Windows NT and one on AIX 4.3. Informix NT (7.31) Informix AIX (7.xx) I have a stored procedure on the unix box with a system command SYSTEM '/usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/env > /tmp/mylog' I have set up the trust, so that I can connect to the AIX instance as informix from the NT server. I connect from the NT server to the AIX instance as informix and execute the procedure. I get the following error - 668 Command cannot be executed 127 No Primary Key I think that the 127 error number is from the shell execution. The /tmp/mylog file is created but with no values. Even if I replace it with an echo hello command I get an empty file. Having read one of Jonathan Leffler's responses, the SHELL environment variables needs to be set to the the Shell of the remote system. In my case that is 'set SHELL=/usr/bin/ksh' . I did this and it still didn't work. Am I missing further environment variables as I am executing the procedure from NT. Has anyone managed to do this? Many thanks in advance, Nick Have you tryed it on aix itself?? does that work?? try: SYSTEM "(/usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/env 2>&1) > /tmp/nonexistingfile"; -- check what is in nonexistingfile or SYSTEM "(/usr/bin/ksh ...

Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server
KW Foo wrote: > We are trying to backup the server which includes the Informix 7.31 > application and the data and restore to another server. > > We are running the Informix in SUN Solaris 2.6, backup the server using > "ufsdump" to the tape drive and restore using the "ufsrestore" to another > server (with the same directory structure and hardware). > > We use "ufsdump" to backup the informix software and also all the Informix > chunk directories after we shutdown the Informix using "onmode -ky". > > We a...

Module for Informix Database?

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #2
Make sure you don't have any informix process still running..and grabbing memory Verify with ipcs -m Also, verify your $ONCONFIG, so that you SHMBASE goes with the release notes ( if should not impact, but you never know) If that still does not work, try reducing the SHMVIRTSIZE -----Message d'origine----- De : owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org]De la part de Paul Watson Envoy� : 19 janvier, 2004 06:18 � : informix-list@iiug.org Objet : Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server Check the release note in $INFO...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #4
In my personal opinion, why bother using ufsdump when you could restore with ontape. Don't forget that all chunk structures must be the same but that ontape & ufsdump might not read & write the same way, thus creating incompatibilities. There is gain in using ufsdump versus the potential problems just like the one you encountered. Andr� >From: St�phane Gadoury <stephane.gadoury@transat.com> >To: <informix-list@iiug.org> >Subject: RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server >Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:54:50 -0500 >...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server
Neil Truby wrote: > "Carmen Constantinescu" <carmen@wylog.com> wrote in message > news:bthi4v$ujm$1@terabinaries.xmission.com... > >>Please help! >> >>I try to restore a database with ontape -r file_name like : >> $INFORMIXDIR/bin/ontape -r <<file_name >> >> y >> n >> n >> n >> file_name >> >>The error that I get is if the server is offline is :" Physical restore >>failed - function read archive...

RE: Do I have to have an Informix Database?
Bruce, You have to buy a database from somewhere. But 4Js and Querix offer versions of the Informix-4GL compiler that will work with other databases. I think they both give the choice between Informix and Oracle, and I think DB2. But visit their web-sites to find out the latest info. Their compilers also work on Windows or UNIX thereby giving even more flexibility. Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Truter Sent: 15 February 2004 03:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Do I have ...

RE: Restore Informix software & Database to another server #3
Did You re-install Informix executables ('installserver' script) after transferring it to anather machine with Solaris utility? If not, please, do that. Also, do nor forget about 'RUNASROOT' script. ------------------------------------------ Alexey Sonkin Senior Database Administrator > -----Original Message----- > From: KW Foo [mailto:hovid@streamyx.com] > Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 5:38 AM > To: informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: Restore Informix software & Database to another server > > What should I check in the /etc/system ? > > Regards, > KW Foo > > -- > "Paul Watson" <paul@oninit.com> wrote in message > news:400B9841.75DB2436@oninit.com... > > Have you checked that the /etc/system on the second server is correct > > > > KW Foo wrote: > > > > > > We are trying to backup the server which includes the Informix 7.31 > > > application and the data and restore to another server. > > > > > > We are running the Informix in SUN Solaris 2.6, backup the server > using > > > "ufsdump" to the tape drive and restore using the "ufsrestore" to > another > > > server (with the same directory structure and hardware). > > > > > > We use "ufsdump" to backup the informix software and also all the > Informix > > > ch...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server #2
Paul Watson wrote: > something like > > onstat -r <<EOF > y > n > n > n > EOF > > should work, but I wouldn't use it on a production system Which is exactly the same as the example given, except for the obvious command error and the missing initial <CR> to the enter tape and press RETURN prompt. However, I am not convinced of the order of the answers, and I don't have ontape to hand to test..., on dev or prod. So I agree, simply run ontape -r and answer the prompts manually. Cheers, -- Mark. +-------------...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server #3
David Williams wrote: > "Colin Bull" <c.bull@videonetworks.com> wrote in message news:btmcr4> That > will make it a lot tidier, should be able to use a case statement. > >>I will revise next week sometime. >> > > > http://www.smooth1.demon.co.uk/ifaq06.htm#6.33 > > 6.33 What status codes does onstat return? > On 21st May 1998 mdstock@informix.com (Mark D. Stock) wrote:- > > As a point of interest, you can check the current mode of IDS by checking > the status ($?) after onstat -. > > The values r...

RE: Informix 9.4 Arcserve 11 Unable to open connection to database server
Rochelle wrote > We're running Informix 9.4 on Windows 2000 Server (sp4) with Arcserve > 11 Backup Agent for Informix. These two pieces of software > are installed on a "clean" machine (flattened and rebuilt). > Just after the Informix 9.4 software and the Arcserve agent > was installed, I ran a full backup from the Arcserve Manager > server. It worked just fine. > The DBA started tweaking the Informix server to get it ready > to import the data from our production database and now it > won't allow us to back it up any more. We get the Unable to > open connection to database server 155 (0x9b) error. I have > another clean system that I installed a similar configuration > on and it has continued to allow us to use Arcserve to back > up the database (no changes were made to the Informix server > configuration though). A couple of other notes - the > Arcserve manager resides on a separate server and all of the > servers in my configuration are workgroup (not domain) > servers. We've compared the configurations of the two > servers mentioned above and re-entered configuration data > until we're blue in the face. About the only thing we > haven't done is uninstalled and/or re-installed any of the > software. Anyone have any ideas about what might be causing > this problem? > What configuration files have you checked - Ser...

Re: ANNOUNCE: IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl DBI Version 2005.01
bottom right side, click office, followed by edit current. Click the mail tab. Go to the bottom and change mime to rich text. Thanks to June Hunt I changed mine (mime) fairly recently! peace Jonathan Leffler <jleffler@earthli nk.net> To Sent by: informix-list@iiug.org owner-informix-li cc st@iiug.org Subject Re: ANNOUNCE: IBM Informix Database 03/15/2005 09:14 Driver for Perl DBI Version 2005.01 PM Please respond to Jonathan Leffler <jleffler@earthli nk.net> ...

RE: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux
David Williams wrote > > "Andy Kent" <andykent.bristol@virgin.net> wrote in message > news:a3525a11.0401080308.64a1ed12@posting.google.com... > > Why ever would you want to run a cold restore unattended? > > > > Great laxative ... > > > > To create a reporting database once per week... > > Once all the ontape stuff is finished don't forget to > > a) Sit in a loop running onstat - and check the return > code each time.Wait for the server to reach quiescent > mode. This can take 45 mins. >...

RE: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux #2
Christian Knappke wrote > > "Colin Bull" <c.bull@videonetworks.com> wrote: > > > Here is one I prepared earlier --- > > > > onbar/ontape whatever .. > > FORCEOL=n > > until onstat - | grep "On-Line" > /dev/null > > do > > echo "Off line" # ; sleep 20 > > onstat - | grep "[BQ][lu][oi][ce][ks]" > /dev/null && ( echo > > "\nServ blokd" > > if [ x$FORCEOL = "xn" ] ; then > > echo "On...

Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux #3
Thanks a lot ! My problem was the fact that I tried to restore on a Linux machine a backup made on a UNIX machine. The INFORMIX server version was the same. The problem was the OS, in fact. Backup with ontape is recommended only when the restore is made on the same machine. Carmen ----- Original Message ----- From: "S.Dhayanidhi" <sdhaya@hotmail.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 6:35 AM Subject: Re: database restore with ontape -r on Informix Online Dynamic Server 7.31 on Linux > Here is my cute little code.. for u...

RE: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database
Jonathan... am I correct in thinking that you can't revoke rights from a user who has those rights because they're a member of public? Ie, if they don't have the rights assigned with an explicit GRANT statement, then you can't revoke their rights without revoking public's rights and then granting permissions to all other users individually? Cheers Simon -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Leffler Sent: 25 August 2005 05:24 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: [Maybe spam] Re: Relation of OS user to Informix database user anupam.mukherjee@gmail.com wrote: > I had just installed Informix Advanced Server version 10.0 for > Windows and was checking out the security features. I created two > operating system users, say A and B, gave both GRANT CONNECT and GRANT > RESOURCE permissions from the informix DBA user. First suggestion - don't make user 'informix' the DBA; the user already has an incredible amount of power (it's God w.r.t IDS). However, this wasn't a factor in your observations. When you created the database, was a MODE ANSI database, or a logged or an unlogged database. I am 95% sure it wasn't MODE ANSI... > Now, I could access > the entire database, including both A and B's tables by logging in as > either of the users. Yes. By default, in a non-ANSI database, public ...

Web resources about - [Fwd: Re: Database Server Hangs / Perl DBD Informix Module] - comp.databases.informix

Oracle: Fear Not, ’12c’ Database Nearing Its Breakout, Says Credit Suisse
... from cloud computing applications in 2016, along with the adoption by customers of the its “ 12c ” version of its flagship relational database ...

Enterprises want to run databases in containers
More than three out of four IT decision makers are interested in running stateful applications like databases within containers, according to ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...

Blinkbox Music's user database was just sold to... JD Sports
Of Tesco's three ailing digital Blinkbox services, its e-book store appeared to be the only one that would go gently into that good night. Eventually, ...

8 Reasons to Consider Open-Source Databases for Your Business
Historically, costly commercial database systems dominated the data management landscape. But open-source database system adoption is growing ...