Cpying database data from IDS 7.31 (Sun OS 2.6) to IDS 9.4 Linux (RH7.3)

Hi,
    I have installed a Linux box with IDS 9.4 but all the data I need
is in the IDS 7.31. What is the best way to copy the data between
those two databases (schema, tables but not the layout of dbspaces).

Thank you.
0
efim

Efim Dimenstein wrote:

> Hi,
>     I have installed a Linux box with IDS 9.4 but all the data I need
> is in the IDS 7.31. What is the best way to copy the data between
> those two databases (schema, tables but not the layout of dbspaces).

dbexport/dbimport?

--
"C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule"
- Coluche
wrote:

>Hi,
>    I have installed a Linux box with IDS 9.4 but all the data I need
>is in the IDS 7.31. What is the best way to copy the data between
>those two databases (schema, tables but not the layout of dbspaces).
>

>Thank you.

dbschema to get the table schemas from the 7.31 box.
Also, check out Art Kagel's 'dbcopy' utility at the IIUG website.
0
John

RE: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40 #3
And then there is the extent size migration problem. Did you have extent sizes set for IDS 7.31? Did you use dbexport -ss? Are you using varchars etc? We migrated a 1.9 Gbyte database from 9.2 to 9.4 and the size increased to about 8Gbyte. When I did a thorough check I discovered that the 9.4 system generated first and next extent sizes if they aren't provided. And for all varchar type columns it assumed the maximum length of the varchar when calculating the row size and therefore exaggerated extent sizes. Do the maths on extent sizes and compare them to what you have been given. It might explain the growth. Regards Malcolm -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Christopher Sent: 29 September 2004 17:36 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40 Responding to John Carlson, Marco Greco, and others who have responded via e-mail, some of the space is taken up by now-detached indexes. Frankly, it is not as much as I would have guessed. Paul Watson sent this formula for calculating index extents: (keysize + 9 /rowsize) * table_extent_size That is helpful, but I've been going over various onchecks on the stores7 databases, and indexes are not the answer. The biggest change is in sysprocedures, which matches what I saw in the larger test database. The original has one extent, the exp...

Re: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40 #2
Indexes are deteched in 9, while they are attached in 7 - which means that if your non fragmented table has n indexes, you end up with n+1 partition pages and n+1 initial extents, which leads to the sort of space consumption that you have seen (YMMV: depends on how many indexes per table, table size, key lengths, index page fullness, etc - there's no definite formula to calculate the space requirement increase). This has also implications on memory usage, specifically rsam pool. If you want to revert to a 7 like behaiviour, DEFAULT_ATTACH is your friend, or plan your extent sizes with care Also bear in mind that object a user name sizes have increased from 18/8 chars to 128/32, which again has memory and system table size implications. Christopher wrote: > I would love an answer, but I am mainly sharing information. > > I have a database of about 3.5GB which I exported (without the -ss, as > this is test) from IDS 7 and imported into IDS 9.4. This is something > we have to do for a lot of our customers who are forced to change > boxes in order to have a system which will run 9.4. I allocated 120% > of the space, assuming this was a big enough buffer. When it failed, > I allocated another chunk and completed the import. > > The space usage for the same database on two systems was rather > frightening: > > Space required on IDS 7.31: 1769542 pages or 3,539,084kb > Space required on IDS 9.4...

Moving a single instance 9.2.0.7 database to a clustered 9.2.0.6 database environment #2
HI, I have the following situation: We have Veritas cluster setup , and there are 2 solaris servers on which VCS is set up. On this set up we have about 8 databases all of which are 9.2.0.6 version. Now we have one stand alone solaris server, and it has a 9.2.0.7 database. This database is for a third party application -Clear Case & Clear Quest. Now it is required to move the single instance database to clustered environment. Since in the clustered environment we have 9.2.0.6 version, is it AT ALL POSSIBLE to move this database, which is 9.2.0.7 to that enviroment? I guess not, and i...

Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40
I would love an answer, but I am mainly sharing information. I have a database of about 3.5GB which I exported (without the -ss, as this is test) from IDS 7 and imported into IDS 9.4. This is something we have to do for a lot of our customers who are forced to change boxes in order to have a system which will run 9.4. I allocated 120% of the space, assuming this was a big enough buffer. When it failed, I allocated another chunk and completed the import. The space usage for the same database on two systems was rather frightening: Space required on IDS 7.31: 1769542 pages or 3,539,084kb Space required on IDS 9.40: 3282799 pages or 6,565,598kb That is 1.86% of the storage space, some of which constitutes extensions to the dbspace overhead. With oncheck -pe, I found most of the increase is in the system catalogs related to SPL procedures, of which we have 100, some of which are quite lengthy. There also seems to be some increase in index usage. I did a similar test with the stores7 database, and found the following data: Total Database Size on IDS 7.31.UD7: 7,680 kb Total Database Size on IDS 9.40.UC3: 27,632 kb After reviewing the always fascinating IBM Informix Migration Guide, I found this enlightening passage: �In some cases, even if the database server conversion is successful, internal conversion of some databases might fail because of insufficient space for system catalog tables. For more information, see your release notes, ...

RE: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40
If the indices in 7.x are not detached then you will need quite a bit More space for 9.x as the indices will detach. You need to allow for the index extents, the size is something like (keysize + 9 /rowsize) * table_extent_size Paul Watson VIS iTV Ltd Tel: 01382 341074 Fax: 01382 341045 Mob: 07818 003457 -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Christopher Sent: 28 September 2004 23:05 To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Database Storage Difference between IDS 7.31 and IDS 9.40 I would love an answer, but I am mainly sharing information. I have a database of about 3.5GB which I exported (without the -ss, as this is test) from IDS 7 and imported into IDS 9.4. This is something we have to do for a lot of our customers who are forced to change boxes in order to have a system which will run 9.4. I allocated 120% of the space, assuming this was a big enough buffer. When it failed, I allocated another chunk and completed the import. The space usage for the same database on two systems was rather frightening: Space required on IDS 7.31: 1769542 pages or 3,539,084kb Space required on IDS 9.40: 3282799 pages or 6,565,598kb That is 1.86% of the storage space, some of which constitutes extensions to the dbspace overhead. With oncheck -pe, I found most of the increase is in the system catalogs related to SPL procedures, of which we have 100, some of which are q...

Moving a single instance 9.2.0.7 database to a clustered 9.2.0.6 database environment
HI, I have the following situation: We have Veritas cluster setup , and there are 2 solaris servers on which VCS is set up. On this set up we have about 8 databases all of which are 9.2.0.6 version. Now we have one stand alone solaris server, and it has a 9.2.0.7 database. This database is for a third party application -Clear Case & Clear Quest. Now it is required to move the single instance database to clustered environment. Since in the clustered environment we have 9.2.0.6 version, is it AT ALL POSSIBLE to move this database, which is 9.2.0.7 to that enviroment? I guess not, and i...

IDS 9.3 on Linux opening 2 database licenses at a time
Hi Header pretty much says it all. Every time a user kicks off an app which should be using 1 database licence it is taking 2, thus halving the number of users who can use the system. This doesn't seem right. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks. WanRob via DBMonster.com wrote: > Header pretty much says it all. Every time a user kicks off an app which > should be using 1 database licence it is taking 2, thus halving the number of > users who can use the system. This doesn't seem > right. Anyone got any ideas? Modify the application so that it makes just one connection to the database? Can you show us what you mean if it isn't that? You could also think about CPU-based licencing instead of user-based licencing. -- Jonathan Leffler #include <disclaimer.h> Email: jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@us.ibm.com Guardian of DBD::Informix v2005.01 -- http://dbi.perl.org/ ...

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #2
Hi, ontape (in older versions) has a limitation of 2 GB only if TAPEDEV is a file in the file system. If TAPEDEV is an actual tape device, then this restriction does not apply. Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 16.09.2005 17:11:49: > Are your databases isolated within their own dbspaces? Recovery is > done at an instance level, so you can "warm" restore dbspaces, but > you'll have to make them current with the instance through logical > recovery. > > If you need to recover a single database (selective recovery), you may > need to restore to another (temporary) instance, export the database, > then import it back to the primary instance. > > There's no problem with databases over 2GB. Ontape has a maximum > TAPESIZE of 2gb -- but there's nothing stopping you from spanning > multiple tapes (or files on a file system; but that requires some > manual intervention). sending to informix-list ...

Re: Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31 #3
Hi, - you can use dbexport/dbimport to tape device. See syntax for these utility commands. - using ontape you can not backup dbspaces separately. You can restore dbspaces separately, but with some restrictions. See manual "Backup and Restore Guide" for more info. - to backup dbspaces separately, you'd have to use ON-Bar. However, that requires configuration and setup of a Storage Manager (e.g. ISM). It has some restrictions also, mainly that you have to backup logical logs as well in order to do such backups and be able to restore them successfully. - there's no backing up of (separate) databases, neither with ontape nor with ON-Bar. - you can look into other utilities. Rather than onload/onunload (with the size of your databases) you may want to look into HPL (High Performance Loader) ? Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 16.09.2005 15:13:38: > > Hallo. > > I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using > Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server > using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or > dbspace level. > > My databases are bigger than 2 Gb and I have read that there is a > problem. Using onload/onload returns problems.. > > Anybody may help me? sending to informix-list ...

GnuPG / PGP signed checksums for PostgreSQL 7.4.5, 7.4.4, 7.3.7, 7.3.6, 7.3.5. 7.2.5

IDS 9.4 Slower then IDS 7.31
We just recently upgraded from IDS 7.31-UC5 to IDS 9.4-FC6. We have a handful of queries that are running orders of magnitude longer under 9.4 than they did in 7.31. I'm noticing pour SQL performance in a couple of areas when compared to 7.31. One is index searches with lots of duplicate key values combined with other filters. I have a query that joins a 500 million row table with a forty row table. The large table does an indexed search to isolate 21 million records, and then filters those based on the forty rows plus a hand full of other filters. 7.31 did this in 30-60 minutes, 9.4 is taking approximately 15 hours. I compared the table structure, indexing, distribution data and query plan. They are all identical. If I select the 21 million into a temp table first and then join the temp table to the 40 row table and apply the other filters, 9.4 gets back down into the 30 to 60 minute range. The other area of concern has to do with nesting function calls and sub-selects. I put together a temp table with about four million rows in it. The table contains a decimal values and a join key to a 5 million row permeate table. If I do a straight inner join the query runs in under 10 minutes. If I add a sum() on the decimal values the runtime only goes up by a few minutes. If I add an nvl() on the decimal value, again the runtime only goes up by a few minutes over the original time. If I nest the sum() inside the nvl() the run time goes up by a...

Re: IDS 9.4 UC5 on Linux 2.6.8 #2
Ben, it does not matter what rpms are installed. The CPU running $INFORMIXDIR/etc/brand binary program does not understand some of the machine instructions. These are i686 specific instructions which got created by the compiler because of i686 optimization was switched on at compile time. Yes, it is documented ;-) See machine specific notes: 1. This product was built on RedHat Linux 7.2 for i686 compatible processors ... HTH, Karl -- Karl Ostner IBM Informix Development Munich Information Management IBM Software Group e-mail: kostner@de.ibm.com Ben Thompson <ben@nomonitorsof tspam.com> To Sent by: informix-list@iiug.org owner-informix-li cc st@iiug.org Subject Re: IDS 9.4 UC5 on Linux 2.6.8 15.02.2005 12:07 PM ...

Trouble restoring 7.2.1 database into 7.4.2 database
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0047_01C41DC9.42906D90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I have table defined as follows: create table vm_emailjob ( JobId serial not null, MessageId varchar(128) not null, Recipients bytea not null, SendTime bigint not null, QueuedTime bigint not null, RetryCount integer ...

Move database from IDS 7.30 to IDS 9.40
Hello list. For the the moment I prepare to move a database from an old IDS 7.30 to 9.40 I'm using dbexport here, because we want change the codepage from codpage 437 to De_de.8859-1 The dbexport works with some problems. After transfering the files to new server (ftp, binary mode) I changed all brackets to Umlaute. The settings in .profile are the same. On dbimport the import stops with this message: Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has different number of columns than table Load file has...

Problem creating synonym between IDS 7.3 and IDS 9.2
Hello everyone, I am trying to create a synonym from IDS 7.3 to IDS 9.2. I keep hanging my dbaccess with the following error code -25580: System error occurred in Network Function. Specs: The IDS 7.3 is running on WINNT 4.0. (Lets call this 7.3) The IDS 9.2 is running of WIN 2k Advanced server. (Lets call this 9.2) The connection to the database from the 7.3 to the 9.2 can be initiated and the corresponding tables in the 9.2 db can be seen. I've even used ILogin to test the connection as well the ODBC Drivers 'Testing Connection Tool'. 'create synonym <synonym> for <databasename>@<databaseservername>:<tablename>' This is hanging my dbaccess. I tried to do a similar synonym from a 7.3 to another 7.3. This worked perfectly. Any ideas? Is it a compatibility issue? Please help Thanks zizou79 ...

Informix 9.4 restore using SQL BT 3.7 (64 bit) fails after upgrade of Informix to 9.4 from 9.3
I am getting the following error when I run the restore: dm_write_disk_object_obsi: WRITE for file (Obsi Pipe) (filedes (0) length (31388)) failed. OBSI SDK Error (Bad file number (9)) Has anyone seen this error before? The restore of the rootdbspace ran fine..Anyone know of any known issues performing restores after upgrading from Informix 9.3 to 9.4. This is on a Solaris box and the Backup vendor is Syncsort Backup Express ...

ANNOUNCE: Release of DJGPP ports of GCC-5.2.0, GCC-4.9.3, GCC-4.8.5,, GCC-4.7.4 and GCC-3.4.6 for DJGPP v2.05
This is announcement of GCC-5.2.0, GCC-4.9.3, GCC-4.8.5, GCC-4.7.4 and GCC-3.4.6 for DJGPP v2.05 GCC used to stand for the GNU C Compiler, but since the compiler supports several other languages aside from C, it now stands for the GNU Compiler Collection. All these GCC versions are built using DJGPP v2.05 under Windows Vista Business SP3. Requirements for using binary packages: - DJGPP v2.05 (packages are NOT intended to be used with DJGPP v2.03) - binutils-2.22 or above (binutils-2.24 or above recommended) Currently all packages are still located at: ftp://ftp.de...

OBIEE 11g with BI Apps 7.9.6.2/7.9.6.3 #2
Hi This is Mac Smith - Recruitment and Resources from SancroSoft USA Inc. We have an urgent requirement as follows: Please respond with resumes in MS-Word Format with the following details tomac@sancrosoftusa.com Call me 916-671-5584 Full Name: Location: Contact Number: Email: Availability: HR Rate: Visa Status: Relocation: Title : OBIEE 11g with BI Apps 7.9.6.2/7.9.6.3. Location : Sidney Ohio Local=92s Duration : 6+ Months Start Date : Skype interview tomorrow/Wednesday OBIEE 11g with BI Apps 7.9.6.2/7.9.6.3. We need urgently good profile with 5-8 years=92 experience who has experien...

voodoo spell VASHIKARAN specialist aghori baba 0/9/6/3/6/4/2/2/7/0/2
love vashikaran specialist aghori baba ji 09636422702 vashikaran mantra vashikaran specialist lost love back by vashikaran get your love vashikaran vazifa specialist +919636422702 the great vashikaran powered by vashikaran vazifa jadu tona black magic voodoo spell dispuat husband wife reletons vashikaranspecialistcall.com 09636422702 vashikaran specialist aghori baba 09636422702 love vashikaran specialist marriage problams get your love vashikaran vazifa specialist http://vashikaranspecialistcall.com lost love vashikaran mantra vashikaran mantra specialist aghori baba ji 9636422702 inter cast love marriage specialist black magic specialist 09636422702 voodoo love vashikaran mantra klam ruhani muthkarni kala jadu specialist cildern problams soluson voodoo spell specialist girl disput solusoan specialist indian baba ji +919636422702 ...

IDS 9.4 UC5 on Linux 2.6.8
Hi, I tried to install IDS 9.4 UC5 under a linux 2.6.8 (SuSe 9.2, minimal-installation). Priot I installed the compat-2004.9.6-2.i586.rpm as an alternative to the required compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.122.i386.rpm. But the informix-installation fails with etc/install: line 271: 14313 Ungültiger Maschinenbefehl ${BRAND} -n -s ${SERNUM} ${KEY} ${NAM} Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Bye Markus ...

Database Backup/Restore using Informix IDS 7.31
Hallo. I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or dbspace level. My databases are bigger than 2 Gb and I have read that there is a problem. Using onload/onload returns problems.. Anybody may help me? Are your databases isolated within their own dbspaces? Recovery is done at an instance level, so you can "warm" restore dbspaces, but you'll have to make them current with the instance through logical recovery. If you need to recover a single database (selective recovery), you may need to restore to another (temporary) instance, export the database, then import it back to the primary instance. There's no problem with databases over 2GB. Ontape has a maximum TAPESIZE of 2gb -- but there's nothing stopping you from spanning multiple tapes (or files on a file system; but that requires some manual intervention). Massoroto wrote: > Hallo. > > I need urgent help on doing backups/restores of databases using > Informix IDS 7.31. I reached to backup and restores an entire server > using the ontape command but do not know how to do it at a database or > dbspace level. IDS does not support database level archives and restores. The closest you can come is to isolate a database to one or more dedicated dbspaces, then with ontape you can perfo...

A problem during restoring database from PostgreSql 6.5.3/7.1.3 to 7.4
Hello �� I can dump data from old dababase(Postgresql 6.5.3), but new problem came out when I restore the data to postgresql 7.4. It went out during the COPY command, if I do it in such command lines: 1. pg_dump news -f pgsql-database-news.sql #in old system with postgresql 6.5.3 2. su - postgres #in new system with postgresql 7.4 3. createdb -T template0 news 4. psql news < pgsql-database-news.sql ------ ERROR: missing data for column "user_id" CONTEXT: COPY newses, line 1: ------ But if I do it in such command line, it works well : 1. pg_d...

Performance with IDS 7.31.UD2 on Linux (2.4 kernel)
Hello I am testing linux to migrate some informix IDS73 servers (currently windows and SCO OSR5 environnement) My linux informix that I got is a 7.31.UD2 version and I think this version is very slow...slower than the SCO or windows 7.31 versions for the same hardware and the same onconfig parameters. Is there another 7.31 version (UD3 or more) ? I can't find any answer on the ibm/informix website... Do you know where can I download it for evaluation (free, I mean...) ? Thank you for your answers jba quanrante.deux wrote: > Hello > > I am testing linux to migrate some informix IDS73 servers (currently > windows and SCO OSR5 environnement) > > My linux informix that I got is a 7.31.UD2 version and I think this > version is very slow...slower than the SCO or windows 7.31 versions for > the same hardware and the same onconfig parameters. Check if DMA is set to on for the IDE disk (e.g. 'hdparm /dev/hda') and check the type of filesystem where the dbspaces are located. Reiserfs is known to be very slow with IDS. Andreas > > Is there another 7.31 version (UD3 or more) ? I can't find any answer on > the ibm/informix website... > > Do you know where can I download it for evaluation (free, I mean...) ? > > Thank you for your answers > > jba "quanrante.deux" <quarante.deux@free.fr> wrote: >My linux informix that I got is a 7.31...

Re: IDS 9.4 UC5 on Linux 2.6.8
Markus, seems your processor does not match the requirement of Pentium 2/Pro (i686). HTH, Karl Ostner -- Karl Ostner IBM Informix Development Munich Information Management IBM Software Group e-mail: kostner@de.ibm.com "Markus Bschorer" <mb@worxbox.com> Sent by: To owner-informix-li informix-list@iiug.org st@iiug.org cc Subject 14.02.2005 06:09 IDS 9.4 UC5 on Linux 2.6.8 PM Please respond to "Markus Bschorer" ...

Web resources about - Cpying database data from IDS 7.31 (Sun OS 2.6) to IDS 9.4 Linux (RH7.3) - comp.databases.informix

Oracle: Fear Not, ’12c’ Database Nearing Its Breakout, Says Credit Suisse
... from cloud computing applications in 2016, along with the adoption by customers of the its “ 12c ” version of its flagship relational database ...

Enterprises want to run databases in containers
More than three out of four IT decision makers are interested in running stateful applications like databases within containers, according to ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...

Blinkbox Music's user database was just sold to... JD Sports
Of Tesco's three ailing digital Blinkbox services, its e-book store appeared to be the only one that would go gently into that good night. Eventually, ...

8 Reasons to Consider Open-Source Databases for Your Business
Historically, costly commercial database systems dominated the data management landscape. But open-source database system adoption is growing ...